Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Auto Sub Ops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Auto Sub Ops Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Auto Sub Ops - 2/6/2020 9:23:00 AM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

I bit annoying for me is the game routine that subs with even an engine damage of only 1 leave their patrol zones and auto-disband in their homeports, while subs with a lot more system damage but no engine damage coninue to cruise their patrol zones happily as a pig in the mud...
Therefore I have to keep a steady and wary eye on the homeports, because the subs with high system damage will immediately leave again for their patrol zones after replenishing and the subs with neglectable engine damage have immediatly auto-disbanded.

System damage can be fixed while at sea. Major engine damage can not be fixed at sea. That's the main reason for that behavior....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 31
RE: Auto Sub Ops - 2/6/2020 11:58:16 AM   
Squamry

I run with auto ops off. I tend to run from only a few home ports so makes checking these locations easier and easier to manage supplies and fuel stocks.

One other thing I do at the beginning of each turn is use the ships display and sort by damage. This helps pick up damaged subs that are on patrol and need to be sent back to port for repair, esp for those hit by air ASW.

Over the years I've gone from patrolling areas to patrolling a single hex and then use multiple subs to cover an area. One advantage this is that it does not use any fuel. A bit cheesy but the only expenditure in fuel is moving to a new patrol zone.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 32
RE: Auto Sub Ops - 2/6/2020 1:42:53 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squamry

I run with auto ops off. I tend to run from only a few home ports so makes checking these locations easier and easier to manage supplies and fuel stocks.

One other thing I do at the beginning of each turn is use the ships display and sort by damage. This helps pick up damaged subs that are on patrol and need to be sent back to port for repair, esp for those hit by air ASW.

Over the years I've gone from patrolling areas to patrolling a single hex and then use multiple subs to cover an area. One advantage this is that it does not use any fuel. A bit cheesy but the only expenditure in fuel is moving to a new patrol zone.

That has been changed in the latest official patch - while remaining in a single hex all ships and subs use a small amount of fuel. But most subs are good for months of sitting on a single hex station. The disadvantage is that they are more easily discovered - probably a low D/L from SIGINT sets them up for discovery by enemy aircraft or ships.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Squamry)
Post #: 33
RE: Auto Sub Ops - 2/6/2020 1:46:23 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

+1
you need at least 2 hex points, ideally not so close so that DL gets down when moving back and forth

a detected sub is only a danger for itself

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 34
RE: Auto Sub Ops - 2/6/2020 1:47:00 PM   
Sardaukar

As Allies, my forward sub bases are Adak I. and Midway.

ARD, AS, AR etc. and you are set.

Brisbane and Darwin in Ozzie-land.

Sub war is actually good stuff in game. It's easy to check every turn for subs that are too damaged. My treshold is combined 10.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 35
RE: Auto Sub Ops - 2/8/2020 8:05:48 AM   
LeeChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeeChard

Although I run my subs manually I've often wondered if I were to use auto would the computer AI
assign boats to a subtender that I manually place in a port. For instance Townsville?

Nope. The AI won't do that....GP

That's what I figured. Oh well, I don't mind doing it myself. I have to satisfy my streak of OCD anyway.
What I do now is set my subs with the 'patrol around target' button. I think that sort of balances the
game a bit for what I assume is the AI's weak asw planning.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 36
RE: Auto Sub Ops - 2/8/2020 1:58:17 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
That has been changed in the latest official patch - while remaining in a single hex all ships and subs use a small amount of fuel. But most subs are good for months of sitting on a single hex station. The disadvantage is that they are more easily discovered - probably a low D/L from SIGINT sets them up for discovery by enemy aircraft or ships.

There is a simple way to reduce the click burden with subs, I deploy them to a single hex and in subsequent turns I mouse over each patrol and if the sub is detected, I then move it, if not, I leave it alone (unless other things such as sightings of the enemy demand a move). Simple. It saves fuel AND my time.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Auto Sub Ops Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI