Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Scarlet Lance, 1966

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report >> Operation Scarlet Lance, 1966 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Scarlet Lance, 1966 - 2/4/2020 5:02:20 AM   
dpabrams

What an ass kicking. Spoiler alert, lots of Soviet Subs and a spread out inadequate ASW fleet (no ASW assets on the carrier). Way too many enemy fighters for the Saratoga to hold off. I just can't get through it without a lot of losses, still win on points but man what a thumping. I am going to update the Saratoga air units, add some ASW helo's and Trackers.
Post #: 1
RE: Operation Scarlet Lance, 1966 - 2/5/2020 11:35:08 AM   
Varancar

Was expecting more detail

(in reply to dpabrams)
Post #: 2
RE: Operation Scarlet Lance, 1966 - 2/5/2020 4:30:56 PM   
Randomizer

Saratoga has no ASW assets because aircraft carriers in the USN in 1966 were still classified as CVS optimized for ASW and CVA where the air groups were equipped entirely for attack and defence. Add all the Trackers you want but it won't reflect her 1966 air group in any reasonable sense. Of course at this time submarines were the offensive arm of the Red Banner Fleet and so should have been expected.

There are a couple of American OOB points with the scenario, US carriers seldom left port in this era without one of the big Talos-armed CG and or a Leahy or Belknap DLG and the Trackers in Crete should probably be Neptunes or Orions instead. I would probably have provided a couple of ASROC Gearings, maybe FRAM-II as their only real duties were ASW and plane-guard. That said this is a typical MGellis scenario; a well presented and challenging examination of what happens when a CVA ends up in a tactical situation better suited to a CVS.

There is an unfortunate tendency in this community to hold that if you lose, the scenario must be broken but I have done well playing Scarlet Lance and quite enjoyed it.

-C

(in reply to Varancar)
Post #: 3
RE: Operation Scarlet Lance, 1966 - 2/8/2020 8:33:49 PM   
dpabrams

Good to know on the CVS/ CVA front, I understand the inadequate ASW better now. I had a much easier time when I added B-52's with Hound Dogs after getting the special weapons high sign and ASW helo's to the Saratoga, but how fair is that (not very).

I am still feeling my way around using flocks of Skyhawks with dumb bombs in the anti-ship role, coordinating one pass ASM attacks with Buccaneers, not getting my ass shot off by Badger tail gunners and setting better launch parameters for Sparrow III's. This is a very good scenario and I am committed to doing it right with what the original scenario gives me. Sure, there will be no more surprises but it's great practice.

Vote for Pedro

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report >> Operation Scarlet Lance, 1966 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI