Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  251 252 [253] 254 255   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 8:27:04 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

That said, the govt encourages you to have a mortgage in the US (tax write-offs), rates are low now, high dividend stocks are cheap. Bank savings interest rates are horrible. Just saying......

Just called my mortgage broker yesterday after receiving her 'remember us?' card in the mail. Nationally, business is gangbusters for mortgage companies-about 85% of it is refinancing operations. The Spring market is actually strong in areas that are allowing 'house hunters', so that's a positive too.

I think that the rationale for mortgage interest deduction on one's taxes has abated in the last three years. The standard deduction is usually higher for couples filing married (joint) than mortgage interest. Combined with SALT caps for high-tax states (e.g., New York, Mass, NJ, CA), this augurs against the value of property for tax deductibility more recently.

Fair enough. I was doing volunteer tax returns as part of the AARP program this year before we got shut down. The newer 'higher deduction' helps many people but the elimination of a bunch of legacy deductions hurts a few. All that said, if you can borrow at 3ish% there could be decent returns in other areas - not fixed income or annuities IMO. Real estate up here seems to be getting stronger as NYC folk are thinking they don't want to live in the petri dish.

The other thing I learned as a tax volunteer is that the tax code is even more screwed up than I thought beforehand.....

Charitable donations still work well.....so if you are so inclined you may want to give earlier this year - a bunch of those organizations are really hurting.

The mortgage interest deduction was to encourage people to purchase their own home. For some people that makes sense but for others it does not.

I noted before that I don't bother to file income taxes. But yes, I will give to charities and help others directly. Especially young boys and girls with candy and toys. No, this phat man will not wear a red suit.

All of those deductions are for special interests, eliminate most of those and a lot of lawyers and accountants will have to find real work. Business executives will have to learn to run a business instead of milking the tax code. Those things do not sound like a bad idea.

You can now claim up to $300 charitable donation even if you take the standard deduction, thanks to the CARES Act.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7561
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 8:28:23 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Heard on the radio today an economics reporter sate that March year on year sales of new automobiles fell 90% in France and 98% in Italy. Those two countries experience will not be friendless.

Alfred

There was a similar chart for Chinese auto sales in December/January that showed sales basically falling off a cliff.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7562
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 8:32:01 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

The press and those medically and/or politically opposed to re-opening predicted surges in new cases and morality when shelter-in-place ended in some states. But the Ro rates remain level or close thereto, including: Colorado, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Montana, Mississippi, Kansas and Idaho (source: https://rt.live/). The rates in each of those states is below 1.0, meaning the pandemic continues to decline. It's possible that the wheels may come off here or there, but to this point sky-is-falling assertions have been wrong.

It hasn't been a disaster, no.

But the jump in IHME modeled fatalities (up another 10k today, to 147k by August 4th) is a direct result of the easing of countermeasures.

On the very day that the first gaggle of states announced they were going to end their lockdowns early, the IHME updated their numbers - from ~70K to >100K. That's a pretty big effect. We'll pass 100K confirmed dead in about another week.

But aren't you presuming that that 'big effect' on predicted (and actual) numbers is from the ending of state lockdowns early? That hasn't really been the case. Mortality in the last two weeks has been the 'usual suspects' (MI, NY, NJ, MA) and a smattering of other states backfilling in the difference. You haven't got that 30,000 from Texas or Georgia or Montana or other states reopening earlier than others.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7563
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 8:33:12 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

I'll start looking now, but it shouldn't take long. The press isn't into owning up.

That's not fair. Meet the Press admitted their hatchet job last weekend. Still waiting for 60 Minutes to admit to their hatchet job.

For those not aware of what transpired, both deliberately edited out full answers provided by the Foreign Secretary and the A-G. The edited "answer" broadcast was one which allowed cheap shots at the integrity of the officials.

Alfred

I agree.

The big outlets do frequently own up to mistakes - they care about maintaining their credibility, or what they see as their credibility.

It is very common to see notations about edits/corrections, as well as what it said before, at the bottom of news stories and columns in the NYT, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, LA Times, Financial Times, and so forth.

Bigger, more respectable magazine outlets like The Atlantic also practiced this (back when I actually visited their site), so I would expect that all one would have to do to check up on an edit or correction (or retraction) would be to go to the original story's URL and look for the notation. If they made one, it will be on that page.

Alternatively, you could compare the present version of the story on the URL with a cached version on Google or archives.org (if it is there).

Edit: it's worth noting that every outlet I mentioned above is print, while those that are being maligned for not correcting stories are video. Video news is far less likely to admit a retraction, if only because doing so would take time away from their real-time "reporting" on future updates.

< Message edited by Lokasenna -- 5/13/2020 8:43:02 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7564
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 8:33:21 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That said, the govt encourages you to have a mortgage in the US (tax write-offs), rates are low now, high dividend stocks are cheap. Bank savings interest rates are horrible. Just saying......

Just called my mortgage broker yesterday after receiving her 'remember us?' card in the mail. Nationally, business is gangbusters for mortgage companies-about 85% of it is refinancing operations. The Spring market is actually strong in areas that are allowing 'house hunters', so that's a positive too.

I think that the rationale for mortgage interest deduction on one's taxes has abated in the last three years. The standard deduction is usually higher for couples filing married (joint) than mortgage interest. Combined with SALT caps for high-tax states (e.g., New York, Mass, NJ, CA), this augurs against the value of property for tax deductibility more recently.

Fair enough. I was doing volunteer tax returns as part of the AARP program this year before we got shut down. The newer 'higher deduction' helps many people but the elimination of a bunch of legacy deductions hurts a few. All that said, if you can borrow at 3ish% there could be decent returns in other areas - not fixed income or annuities IMO. Real estate up here seems to be getting stronger as NYC folk are thinking they don't want to live in the petri dish.

The other thing I learned as a tax volunteer is that the tax code is even more screwed up than I thought beforehand.....

Charitable donations still work well.....so if you are so inclined you may want to give earlier this year - a bunch of those organizations are really hurting.

The mortgage interest deduction was to encourage people to purchase their own home. For some people that makes sense but for others it does not.

I noted before that I don't bother to file income taxes. But yes, I will give to charities and help others directly. Especially young boys and girls with candy and toys. No, this phat man will not wear a red suit.

All of those deductions are for special interests, eliminate most of those and a lot of lawyers and accountants will have to find real work. Business executives will have to learn to run a business instead of milking the tax code. Those things do not sound like a bad idea.

You can now claim up to $300 charitable donation even if you take the standard deduction, thanks to the CARES Act.

Good to know. I had scaled back my cash charitable contributions of late since they were no longer deductible for me.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7565
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 8:35:29 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

This tactic is really go viral across the United States, I hear even states are adopting it.

Portland Public Schools plans to furlough teachers, principals, other staffers 1 day a week -- but they’d make more money not less

https://www.oregonlive.com/education/2020/05/portland-public-schools-plans-to-furlough-teachers-principals-other-staffers-1-day-a-week-but-theyd-make-more-money-not-less.html

I think that the program should be modified to stop this.

Also, will they have a reduced workload or will they be expected to have the same work output.

Well, their outputs don't really change (it's not like 20% of the curriculum is being chopped off) - but they have to work 4 days instead of 5, so either they're unofficially working on a 5th day or they have to get more done in the 4 days that they are working.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7566
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 8:36:39 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Heard on the radio today an economics reporter sate that March year on year sales of new automobiles fell 90% in France and 98% in Italy. Those two countries experience will not be friendless.

Alfred

There was a similar chart for Chinese auto sales in December/January that showed sales basically falling off a cliff.

I think I remember reading that figures for American manufacturers were >48% drop YOY. Not as crazy as Italy, but certainly sizable and probably not sustainable for the industry's long-term health.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7567
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 8:41:49 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

The press and those medically and/or politically opposed to re-opening predicted surges in new cases and morality when shelter-in-place ended in some states. But the Ro rates remain level or close thereto, including: Colorado, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Montana, Mississippi, Kansas and Idaho (source: https://rt.live/). The rates in each of those states is below 1.0, meaning the pandemic continues to decline. It's possible that the wheels may come off here or there, but to this point sky-is-falling assertions have been wrong.

But the jump in IHME modeled fatalities (up another 10k today, to 147k by August 4th) is a direct result of the easing of countermeasures.

On the very day that the first gaggle of states announced they were going to end their lockdowns early, the IHME updated their numbers - from ~70K to >100K. That's a pretty big effect. We'll pass 100K confirmed dead in about another week.

But aren't you presuming that that 'big effect' on predicted (and actual) numbers is from the ending of state lockdowns early? That hasn't really been the case. Mortality in the last two weeks has been the 'usual suspects' (MI, NY, NJ, MA) and a smattering of other states backfilling in the difference. You haven't got that 30,000 from Texas or Georgia or Montana or other states reopening earlier than others.

Well, I can't time travel back to the day of the widening of the error bars and the jump in projected fatalities. I didn't have time then to dig more into it, and I wasn't planning to prepare an argument on it with evidence, so all I can do is note that the jump in projected fatalities occurred in the very next update after the governors announced a loosening of restrictions.

I agree with the observation that in the last couple of weeks the deaths are largely driven by big states and a couple of others.

It's worth noting that it's worth looking at the US-minus-NY if we want an idea of what is going on in the country as a whole, but there are few charts out there for that. I only saw one, and I think the person whose page I saw it on put it together on their own in Excel. That was more than a week ago, but NY still had a pronounced curve shape at that time for daily deaths. The US-minus-NY numbers showed a curve that was still increasing.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7568
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 8:43:32 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good to know. I had scaled back my cash charitable contributions of late since they were no longer deductible for me.

Here's a citation: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/new-rules-for-charitable-contribution-deductions-under-the-cares-act.html

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7569
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 8:48:35 PM   
Canoerebel

Lokasenna, we must be looking at different charts and information.

The IHME increase was yesterday. Georgia's projected toll dropped from 3,500 to 2,000 (and one day earlier it was at 4,900). Clearly, IHME doesn't foresee problems with the easing in Georgia. Ditto many other states, but not all.

As for the RT rates, there's nothing on any of the charts I see indicating a margin of error for Ro at or above 1.0 for Georgia. We must be looking at different charts.

quote:

quote:

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/13/2020 8:49:41 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7570
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 9:10:44 PM   
fcooke

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here's a citation: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/new-rules-for-charitable-contribution-deductions-under-the-cares-act.html

And if you don't like paying taxes, using appreciated stock (if you have it), means you don't pay taxes on the gain if you donate it to charity but get the full value of the donation on your tax write-off. And most financial firms won't charge you a penny for the transfer to the charity

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7571
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 9:24:36 PM   
Canoerebel

Regarding yesterday's revision to IHME projections for mortality, much of the increase that bumped US mortality to 147k came from New Jersey, where the projection is now 14.5k deaths.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 7572
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 9:34:48 PM   
RangerJoe

Related to this situation, bewware when you are day trading:

He started the day with $77,000 — by midnight, he owed $9 million
Published: May 11, 2020

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he-started-the-day-with-77000-by-midnight-he-owed-9-million-2020-05-10?link=TD_nypost_articles.7c7e0f416376f79f&utm_source=nypost_articles.7c7e0f416376f79f&utm_campaign=circular&utm_medium=MARKETWATCH

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7573
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 9:57:03 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

Today is a milestone date for my state. Georgia began easing countermeasures 19 days ago, to much fanfare and criticism. Then, 14 days ago, the governor allowed many other restrictions, including shelter in place, to expire. Local and national media predicted terrible things, as typified by that Atlantic headline "Georgia begins Experiment in Human Sacrifice." John Dillworth noted (correctly) that Georgia was effectively serving as a bellwether for the rest of the country.

So far, so good. Numbers have been trending positive for a month and continue to do so. None of the calamities predicted by the press or the political opponents. Lots of things remain closed, including those who have the option of re-opening, but many people are back to work and things are ramping up gradually, which seems like a sensible way to do it. All medical systems have plenty of capacity to handle the occasional hotspots (there has been one - in Hall County, reportedly tied to a poultry-processing facility).

Indeed, things look promising. I've heard anecdotal evidence that while business are open, attendance at some restaurants was down considerably from mothers day last year. I've been unable to get any evidence either way. Not trying to make any point but Georgia has been hit harder than most on the lost jobs front. Don't know why Georgia lost so many jobs so fast. Anyway, see if you can find any info on actual attendance at places. I also understand bars are still closed. That seems wise because as soon as they opened them in Korea and Germany that is where the spikes were. Easy for us non-drinkers to say stuff like that I suppose but I understand that our fellow forum participants might modestly partake from time to time

Bars are also a place where people like to socialize, play darts, pool, and do other things.

The problem that I see is if a 60% alcohol solution is enough to kill the corona virus, how can a person consume that much?

60% would be 120 Proof. Very few beverages sold with that high an alcohol content. Moonshine might get there but most commercial distilleries want their patrons to consume more instead of going blotto on drink 3.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7574
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 10:03:41 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

A California county telling Tesla they can't open an assembly line is exactly the kind of idiocy that WILL bring on a 1930's style disaster.

They didn't tell Tesla they could not open, they gave them a set of conditions for opening and asked Tesla how they would be meeting them. Musk chose to ignore that and reopen.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 7575
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 10:15:54 PM   
Lowpe

In major reversal, Wolf administration says Pa. will begin weekly testing of nursing home residents, employees

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/05/in-major-reversal-wolf-administration-says-pa-will-begin-weekly-testing-of-nursing-home-residents-employees.html

Many thumbs up to Spotlight PA journalists.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7576
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 10:47:37 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

BROADWAY WON’T REOPEN IN 2020. NOR WILL THE MET

https://slippedisc.com/2020/05/broadway-wont-reopen-in-2020-nor-will-the-met/

Thats me. NYC Ballet and the Philharmonic will not happen until at least the Fall. The Ballet was always my wifes birthday present. Now I got a week to figure something out. Not good. A long time ago Leonard Bernstein used to rehearse the Philharmonic Friday mornings and allow college students in for $4. Best education I ever got

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7577
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 11:07:21 PM   
RangerJoe

Why Meatpacking Plants Have Become Covid-19 Hot Spots
Frigid temperatures, cramped conditions, and long hours put meat processing workers at higher risk for contracting the novel coronavirus.

https://www.wired.com/story/why-meatpacking-plants-have-become-covid-19-hot-spots/#intcid=recommendations_wired-right-rail-popular_45eec1be-0bdd-4b19-ae95-d1164a784748_virality-uplift-1

― Julia Child

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 7578
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 11:09:23 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

I'll start looking now, but it shouldn't take long. The press isn't into owning up.

That's not fair. Meet the Press admitted their hatchet job last weekend. Still waiting for 60 Minutes to admit to their hatchet job.

For those not aware of what transpired, both deliberately edited out full answers provided by the Foreign Secretary and the A-G. The edited "answer" broadcast was one which allowed cheap shots at the integrity of the officials.

Alfred

Basically, (unless I got this backward) NBC blamed CBS. Said they used a quote from the other network without checking for themselves, which is 1) hardly complimentary, and 2) we know they have all been doing for a long time.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7579
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 11:09:35 PM   
Lowpe

Wisconsin Supreme Court strikes down Tony Evers' stay-at-home order that closed businesses, schools to limit spread of coronavirus

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/13/wisconsin-supreme-court-strikes-down-tony-evers-coronavirus-orders/5179205002/

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 7580
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 11:14:55 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

A California county telling Tesla they can't open an assembly line is exactly the kind of idiocy that WILL bring on a 1930's style disaster.

California Police Attempt To Arrest Elon Musk's Holographic Decoy As Real Musk Escapes On Rocket To Mars

Post #: 7581
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 11:32:00 PM   
Lowpe

The City of Brotherly Love, Philadelphia

Great News. Philadelphia’s Gangs Apparently Ready To Reopen From Shutdown

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2020/05/13/great-news-philadelphias-gangs-apparently-ready-reopen-shutdown/

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7582
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/13/2020 11:49:54 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

Today is a milestone date for my state. Georgia began easing countermeasures 19 days ago, to much fanfare and criticism. Then, 14 days ago, the governor allowed many other restrictions, including shelter in place, to expire. Local and national media predicted terrible things, as typified by that Atlantic headline "Georgia begins Experiment in Human Sacrifice." John Dillworth noted (correctly) that Georgia was effectively serving as a bellwether for the rest of the country.

So far, so good. Numbers have been trending positive for a month and continue to do so. None of the calamities predicted by the press or the political opponents. Lots of things remain closed, including those who have the option of re-opening, but many people are back to work and things are ramping up gradually, which seems like a sensible way to do it. All medical systems have plenty of capacity to handle the occasional hotspots (there has been one - in Hall County, reportedly tied to a poultry-processing facility).

Indeed, things look promising. I've heard anecdotal evidence that while business are open, attendance at some restaurants was down considerably from mothers day last year. I've been unable to get any evidence either way. Not trying to make any point but Georgia has been hit harder than most on the lost jobs front. Don't know why Georgia lost so many jobs so fast. Anyway, see if you can find any info on actual attendance at places. I also understand bars are still closed. That seems wise because as soon as they opened them in Korea and Germany that is where the spikes were. Easy for us non-drinkers to say stuff like that I suppose but I understand that our fellow forum participants might modestly partake from time to time

Bars are also a place where people like to socialize, play darts, pool, and do other things.

The problem that I see is if a 60% alcohol solution is enough to kill the corona virus, how can a person consume that much?

60% would be 120 Proof. Very few beverages sold with that high an alcohol content. Moonshine might get there but most commercial distilleries want their patrons to consume more instead of going blotto on drink 3.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7583
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 1:48:08 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Lokasenna: The cluster from one guy partying in Seoul on May 1-2 (one night) has gone up to 50 direct infections and 70 secondary infections according to today's news: Over 24,000 linked to Itaewon cluster tested: Seoul mayor

Due to the sensitive nature of the case (gay clubs and all that), the city decided to offer free, anonymous testing to anyone who had been in that area. Some people are worried about their jobs if their bosses find out they've been to a gay club. So, the anonymous bit is a good thing. The city is threatening fines of about $1600 if you were in that area and don't come forward for testing.

For a while testing has been offered to illegal immigrants under the proviso they don't tell the Immigration Department.

JohnDillworth: I'd like to clarify that "large entertainment establishments" received a one-month closure order from the Seoul city government. As far as I can tell, none of my normal watering holes have been affected. I haven't gone to nightclubs in this country since the early Zeroes.

One thing to note here is that the government is very beholden to public opinion (probably more so than in other places). Obviously, these gay clubs have received a lot of bad press recently, so it was not a big thing for the mayor to shut down large establishments in general. The average person doesn't like those places anyway--they are considered hangouts for 20-somethings with too much disposable income (i.e. they live rent-free with mom and dad) and rich people in general (depending on the type of establishment). Now, if the government were to threaten to shut down the estimated 87,000 chicken and beer places in the country, you'd have an insurrection. The livelihoods of too many people depend on "chi-maek" joints and small restaurants in general.

EDIT: The city is demanding people who were in the Itaewon area from April 24 to May 6 be tested, hence the large number of tests. My buddy just reminded me we had dinner at a Czech joint in the area on April 23. There goes my chance to get a free COVID test.

Cheers,
CB

< Message edited by CaptBeefheart -- 5/14/2020 2:14:30 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 7584
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 3:54:58 AM   
MakeeLearn

Coronavirus may never go away, World Health Organization warns
22 minutes ago

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52643682

"What did WHO say?

"It is important to put this on the table: this virus may become just another endemic virus in our communities, and this virus may never go away," Dr Ryan told the virtual press conference from Geneva.

"HIV has not gone away - but we have come to terms with the virus."

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 7585
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 7:20:58 AM   
witpqs

One draft (perhaps not the latest) of the CDC reopening guidelines.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6883734-CDC-Business-Plans.html

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7586
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 8:26:09 AM   
mind_messing

Grim reading from this weeks update in Scotland.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//statistics/covid19/covid-deaths-report-week-19.pdf

Death rate 2.3 times higher in the most deprived areas than least deprived areas. Granted, most of the deaths have been in Glasgow and surrounding areas (which are generally more deprived) but that's still a pretty serious difference given how SIMD works.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7587
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 10:40:11 AM   
RangerJoe

I was reading where it is the crowded conditions, not necessarily the high density population. Before anyone complains, the crowded conditions is where a lot of people are living in close quarters, not necessarily a high rise apartment building. The link that I posted about the meat packing industry explains it.

― Julia Child

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 7588
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 11:19:24 AM   
Cap Mandrake

If there really are 50 primary cases from the "curious" guy in South Korea that is an R0=50

What the heck was the guy DOING?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7589
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/14/2020 12:29:11 PM   
RangerJoe

Minnesota and Mississippi are the latest to reopen their battered economies despite health experts warning that lifting coronavirus restrictions may spark new surge - as new cases surpass one million

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8261913/Minnesota-Mississippi-latest-reopen-amid-COVID-19.html

― Julia Child

Post #: 7590
Page:   <<   < prev  251 252 [253] 254 255   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  251 252 [253] 254 255   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI