Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 4:48:39 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

If there really are 50 primary cases from the "curious" guy in South Korea that is an R0=50

What the heck was the guy DOING?

A lot of coughing and sneezing that nobody was bothered by! Seriously though, it does seem that this story has a hole in it. It takes ten minutes of being in close proximity of someone with the disease in order to transmit it [by proximity]. So it would have taken him over 8 hours to infect 50 people. That's a lot of talking.

He can infect more than one person at a time . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 7711
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 5:11:12 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

How decisions are made: 3 part time research assistants and a associate professor whip up a Covid model over the weekend that the:

quote:

Governor Walz relied heavily on these projections when he made his decision to issue a stay-at-home order on March 27.

https://cse.umn.edu/college/feature-stories/modeling-covid-19-minnesota

Modeling COVID-19 for Minnesota

This is another good article about people with expertise stepping up to work through the day and night to help figure this out. Hats off to them for this work.

I also love that this is going these reserchers a chance to continue to work with new inputs and a better understanding as this develops to fine tune the tools they've created.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7712
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 5:27:35 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

Obvert: Congratulations!

The Itaewon outbreak is now up to 142, and they've tested 35,000 people who visited the area over a two-week period. Here's an interesting snippet:

"Of the national total, at least 82 were those who visited affected venues in Itaewon, and the others were infected through chain transmissions. Around two-thirds of them were aged between 19 and 29, the KCDC said."

The latest article: Itaewon-linked chain transmissions grip greater Seoul area

The super spreader says he became symptomatic the next day, but I'm guessing he did a fair amount of sneezing or coughing in those clubs (apparently five bars and clubs).

One interesting side effect is some of the local press is trying to play up the foreign angle. Here's an example: Jitters as Teachers Found to Have Partied in Itaewon

"According to the Ministry of Education, 880 teachers went to nightclubs and bars in Itaewon over the long weekend, 366 of them foreigners who typically work as language instructors in schools and crammers."

That quote is actually kind of funny as it confirms my observation that Itaewon is not longer a foreigner haven. In the old days, there'd be thousands of English teachers there on the prowl on a four-day weekend. I've seen on a couple of Facebook groups that a number of foreign teachers, most of whom weren't anywhere near Itaewon over the time in question, are being shat upon by their English school employers over this since Little Johnny's mom is worried about what those dastardly foreigners are up to. Nevermind that those clubs were filled with about 95% Koreans, the super spreader himself is Korean and, if I recall correctly, only four out of the 142 infected were foreigners.

Anyway, I've seen worse anti-foreign backlashes in this country. Life goes on.

Cheers,
CB

Thanks! Up early trying to settle the tike while my wife gets a bit of sleep. They just want milk every 20 minutes at this stage!

In order to do this kind of tracking you first have to have low case numbers. So SK is in a good position to keep knocking these back as they develop.

Here restaurants and bars are not open, but I just read here that Wisconsin now has some bars open. That'll be interesting to watch. They're planning distancing, but not sure how that works in a bar.

You mentioned your watering holes aren't yet fenced off. How do they do it there? Any restrictions on movement? Ordering differently? Masks for all? Mostly outside?

Of course again it's different if population case numbers are low.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 7713
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 5:31:11 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

If there really are 50 primary cases from the "curious" guy in South Korea that is an R0=50

What the heck was the guy DOING?

A lot of coughing and sneezing that nobody was bothered by! Seriously though, it does seem that this story has a hole in it. It takes ten minutes of being in close proximity of someone with the disease in order to transmit it [by proximity]. So it would have taken him over 8 hours to infect 50 people. That's a lot of talking.

That seems to be old thinking now. No one her anyway is mentioning ten minutes to infect others in closed indoor environments. The tube is of course the most highly packed place in London on a Friday night. If it can in some environments get around aerosolised then any amount of time could lead to someone's breath hitting someone else in the eye, nose, or mouth.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 7714
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 6:25:04 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

Obvert: "You mentioned your watering holes aren't yet fenced off. How do they do it there? Any restrictions on movement? Ordering differently? Masks for all? Mostly outside?"

Actually, I've noticed a few theatrical measures here and there, but restaurants and bars haven't changed much (some have partial outside seating, but they would anyway). Workers definitely wear masks but customers take them off as soon as the first pint or plate reaches the table. One thing to note is most customers are actually seated at the places I go to. Most places in Korea don't like people standing around the bar like you see in the U.S. or UK, so customer density usually isn't too high. Koreans also have a strong tendency to order food when drinking, which further necessitates seating. When I'm out drinking, the only thing I'm worried about is if the people I'm with have the 'rona. Buddies have been pretty good about self-quarantining if they've been out of the country or to a known hotspot.

Nightclubs with dance floors are the exception; they get people standing in close proximity who have to get very close if they want to hear each other.

As a side note, back in the late 90s I once was shepherding a U.S.-based field service engineer around as we were demonstrating GPS to the ROK Army and our local reps invited us to the night club in the basement of our hotel. The FSE said that was the loudest thing he had ever experienced, and that included a Led Zeppelin concert he went to in the 70s.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7715
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 7:43:28 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

We need more testing.

I can't figure out the testing reasoning, maybe somebody here can help. It seems that in this area [Maryland, USA] you only get tested if you are privileged [Governor, sports figure] or if you are sick and your doctor gives you permission to get tested. The reports are that folks can carry this virus and not display any symptoms. Not always, but sometimes. Therefore, it would seem a good idea to expand this limited testing, but that would mean all of us lining up at a test station every morning on our way to work, and that's not practical.

What seems reasonable is to have a home self-test, something we can buy over-the-counter, or pick up at a Free Gov'ment Kiosk, say 20 to a box or some such. Then we can all test ourselves at reasonable intervals. Otherwise there is a large percentage of carriers that are not detected until it is too late. However, because this virus cloaks itself in material common in humans [glucose and something else that slips me at this moment] so far the tests have resulted in a high percentage of false results. This makes home testing kits not feasible.

So my brain keeps running around in circles on this issue. By the way, the flu season generally fizzles out by this time of year. Each day that passes makes it more interesting to see how this virus holds up.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 7716
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 7:54:07 AM   
CaptBeefheart

My buddy at Asia Times finally finished up his big East vs West piece (actually, it's just Part 1--Part 2 tomorrow). He may be a bit soft regarding China's numbers, but his macro points hold up I think. There's a lot of food for thought in there. Here it is: Why East beat West on Covid-19

No happy hour this evening as my sister-in-law's father-in-law passed away today (cancer, not Covid). I only met him at our wedding, but he seemed a nice chap. I later heard he was big in the Esperanto world, of all things.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 7717
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 8:01:54 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

How contagious SARS-CoV-2 is in other countries remains to be seen.

Something else that I don't get, because apparently research on corona viruses has been going on for years in facilities around the world, yet we seem to know very little to nothing about them. I know they have different strains, but still after Sars1 and Mers I would think that somebody [WHO, CDC, FEMA] would be a little more prepared, and have a better idea as to which end of the canon to load.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 7718
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 8:07:23 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

No one her anyway is mentioning ten minutes to infect others in closed indoor environments.

It hasn't changed though, what I am referring to is the breath, not the cough or sneeze [which carry way more virus and thus easier to catch it from]. It's very interesting, because it didn't seem to make much sense when initial reports were that it was spread thru coughs and sneezes. It spread so quickly, that is a lot of coughing and sneezing! And as for surfaces, well you'd have to get a lot on your hand, and then put your hand right in your mouth, and that is more activity that we really don't see.

I guess reality is just too much for me. I'll stick with films - in Birdbox it was something seen that infects us, in The Happening it is something borne on the wind. That stuff I can understand!

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7719
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 10:37:30 AM   
fcooke

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Our mall is just a couple of miles down the road. For many years, I've routinely taken my lunch there, purchased a large unsweet ice tea, and read while eating. I resumed doing so last week, after a six-week Covid-hiatus. At first, there was next to nobody in the food court or in line at the vendors. Today was noticeably, remarkably more busy. People are definitely much more active. As best I can tell, there remains a wariness and caution about the wheels possibly coming off. Set against that feeling is an increasing confidence in returning to a more active work- and lifestyle. People are careful and polite in maintaining social distancing and being courteous. All restaurant employees wear masks. Only a few customers do - probably less than ten percent. Nursing homes and assisted living facilities remain on lockdown.

I went to Target today, all of the employees that I saw where wearing masks and one was sanitising the handles of the coolers. The cashier did not have the mask covering her nose and I mentioned that the mask does little good them. She said that it was hard to breathe. I told her to try a M17 gas mask from the military. She said that she heard about those from her step-father who was in the Navy.

I also noticed her accent was not from around here so I asked her where she was from. She said that she was from Alabama. So I told her where she could catch catfish but they would not eat rotten food. I also told her where she could get some good, smoked country style ribs to cook with black-eyed peas. They are leaner than ham hocks but are still very flavorable.

Deep fried catfish, hush puppies, cooked greens, hominy, peach cobbler, and pecan pie . . .

heck - it is still early here but you just made me hungry.....

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7720
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 10:47:26 AM   
fcooke

quote:

Pa. officials revoked business waivers the night before publishing list of recipients

https://www.mcall.com/news/pennsylvania/mc-nws-coronavirus-pa-waivers-revoked-20200514-r5tdikt3yzcnngr74nt73tjxau-story.html

More Spotlight PA, a statewide cooperative journalist organisation that is really hitting it out of the park. As reprinted by my old hometown paper the Morning Call (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton area).

This on the fiasco of essential business.

wife wanted take out last night so I went out and fetched. the nail salon was open. But I am guessing Lafayette College won't be having a reunion this year, where I got my degree back in the day. And the CA fall semester shutdown for their UNI system seems a bit premature to me.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7721
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 11:08:38 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

quote:

Pa. officials revoked business waivers the night before publishing list of recipients

https://www.mcall.com/news/pennsylvania/mc-nws-coronavirus-pa-waivers-revoked-20200514-r5tdikt3yzcnngr74nt73tjxau-story.html

More Spotlight PA, a statewide cooperative journalist organisation that is really hitting it out of the park. As reprinted by my old hometown paper the Morning Call (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton area).

wife wanted take out last night so I went out and fetched. the nail salon was open. But I am guessing Lafayette College won't be having a reunion this year, where I got my degree back in the day. And the CA fall semester shutdown for their UNI system seems a bit premature to me.

The California shutdown is probably a cost saving measure for the state. They can still collect full tuition but have lower costs. Also, by giving some employees fewer hours they can collect unemployment including the extra coronavirus money which can then lead to more money for the workers. They have more money to then spend in the local community.

― Julia Child

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 7722
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 11:28:38 AM   
fcooke

Hope that is not the case. I am very involved with my high school, and all this discussion of remote education leaves me cold. but I seem to be a Luddite.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7723
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 11:37:56 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

My buddy at Asia Times finally finished up his big East vs West piece (actually, it's just Part 1--Part 2 tomorrow). He may be a bit soft regarding China's numbers, but his macro points hold up I think. There's a lot of food for thought in there. Here it is: Why East beat West on Covid-19

No happy hour this evening as my sister-in-law's father-in-law passed away today (cancer, not Covid). I only met him at our wedding, but he seemed a nice chap. I later heard he was big in the Esperanto world, of all things.

Cheers,
CB

Speaking of that, if anyone in the US tried to use the measures used in the SK gay bar outbreak there would be an ACLU lawsuit filed in a IXth District court in 2 1/2 minutes, a restraining order in 10 and a Michelle Obama Netflix documentary with Oprah narrating in a week. The guilty officials would be gone in 4 hrs and would have to shut down their Twitter accounts, move out of town and wear Groucho sunglasses

Post #: 7724
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 11:42:44 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

How decisions are made: 3 part time research assistants and a associate professor whip up a Covid model over the weekend that the:

quote:

Governor Walz relied heavily on these projections when he made his decision to issue a stay-at-home order on March 27.

This is another good article about people with expertise stepping up to work through the day and night to help figure this out. Hats off to them for this work.

I also love that this is going these reserchers a chance to continue to work with new inputs and a better understanding as this develops to fine tune the tools they've created.

That is certainly one way of looking at it. Another might be to look at the relationship between ICU patients and confirmed cases.

Mid April there were 100 COVID patients in an ICU status with approx. 1,800 confirmed cases. A month later there are 200 COVID patients in ICU with 13,000 confirmed cases. With more testing the relationship between positive cases and ICU cases is likely to drop. Yet they are now projecting an increase to 3,600 ventilator cases over the next 8 weeks.

They are predicting 1700 deaths by end of May, 29,000 deaths for 12 months. They are according to worldometers at 672. Interesting to note, and sad, nursing home deaths account for 80%.

Also interesting that the model assumed an 80% compliance rate with the lockdown, but they just reported that there is about a 36% compliance. How that is measured I don't know...cell phone tracking perhaps? 36 is an awfully specific number.

I will give kudos to MN for releasing the model publicly, but it took them until yesterday to do it..

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/15/2020 1:41:43 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7725
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 11:54:39 AM   
MakeeLearn

Quarter of Covid-19 deaths in English hospitals were of diabetics

NHS’s first breakdown of underlying health conditions also finds 18% had dementia

14 May 2020
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/14/one-in-four-people-who-died-in-uk-hospitals-with-covid-19-had-diabetes

"That was the most common illness found in an analysis of what existing conditions patients had. The other commonest comorbidities were dementia (18%), serious breathing problems (15%) and chronic kidney disease (14%). One in ten (10%) suffered from ischaemic heart disease."

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7726
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 12:06:11 PM   
MakeeLearn

Population-level COVID-19 mortality risk for non-elderly individuals overall and for non-elderly individuals without underlying diseases in pandemic epicenters
May 05, 2020.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.05.20054361v2

"The absolute risk of COVID-19 death for people ≥80 years old ranged from 0.3 (Florida) to 10.6 per thousand (New York).

The COVID-19 death risk in people <65 years old during the period of fatalities from the epidemic was equivalent to the death risk from driving between 13 and 101 miles per day for 11 countries and 6 states, and was higher (equivalent to the death risk from driving 143-668 miles per day) for 6 other states and the UK."

"People <65 years old without underlying predisposing conditions accounted for only 0.7-2.6% of all COVID-19 deaths (data available from France, Italy, Netherlands, Sweden, Georgia, and New York City)."

"CONCLUSIONS:

People <65 years old have very small risks of COVID-19 death even in pandemic epicenters and deaths for people <65 years without underlying predisposing conditions are remarkably uncommon. Strategies focusing specifically on protecting high-risk elderly individuals should be considered in managing the pandemic."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7727
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 12:09:26 PM   
MakeeLearn

Illegal Speakeasies Are Popping Up in New York Amid Lockdown
May 14, 2020

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/restaurants-bars/illegal-speakeasies-new-york-lockdown

"Page Six reports at least two Manhattan establishments have begun serving guests in secret. In typical Page Six fashion, details are scarce, but rumors point to secret speakeasies operating out of an unnamed “famous Upper East Side bar and lounge” as well as a “trendy downtown hotel.” But if you want to get in, you have to know somebody. The exclusive underground bars are reportedly open to “discreet friends of the owners and managers” only."

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7728
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 12:09:29 PM   
Lowpe

I have seen that comparison to driving before. I think it is absolutely a worthless comparison. YMMV.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7729
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 12:13:34 PM   
MakeeLearn

Nationwide Lockdown Sparks Plunge In Local Govt Tax Revenues; Cuts In Services Strike As Demand Soars

05/15/2020
https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/local-governments-across-us-see-tax-revenues-plunge-cuts-services-amid-corona-carnage

""Local governments are preparing to cut services, idle employees, raise taxes and sell assets," the report continues. "As a last resort, those burdened by excessive long-term debt and pension obligations could file for bankruptcy, although so far investors and analysts haven’t predicted a wave of insolvencies and not every state even allows it.""

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/15/2020 12:14:12 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7730
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 12:20:26 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

quote:

The California shutdown is probably a cost-saving measure for the state. They can still collect full tuition but have lower costs. Also, by giving some employees fewer hours they can collect unemployment including the extra coronavirus money which can then lead to more money for the workers. They have more money to then spend in the local community.

I work at a community college in California.

Regarding labor - naw - most of the college staff/faculty are union so going to virtual campuses is not an attempt to save coin off of the employees. Governor Newsome, in the May Revised Proposed State Budget, is planning on all state employees taking a 10% pay cut for 1 year - so that's where the labor savings are planned.

Instead, the reason for closing campuses and doing the fall semester on-line (virtual campus is kind of the nice catch-phrase) is the mandate to maintain that 2 meters of separation and not have "crowds" in the hallways and along major paths, people would take to get to and from their classes. No one is really prepared for how education is expected to look within the K-12 system or the college system.

If we are still driving towards herd immunity then the intent is to continue to try and avoid confined gatherings of people that are in close proximity (like a classroom). At least for the short-time future.

I'm interested to see if, when winter comes upon us, there is an increase in severe cases. My WAG is that, as long as this COVID virus doesn't start ramping up in the winter, most of our pandemic concerns will fade and masks will cease to become a norm.

I expect that the college campuses will re-open to students for the Spring 2021 semester.

< Message edited by durnedwolf -- 5/15/2020 12:22:16 PM >

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7731
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 12:27:08 PM   
MakeeLearn

Gavin Newsom’s $203.3 billion California budget cuts school funding, spends reserves

Updated 11 hours 50 minutes ago
https://www.modbee.com/news/california/article242726681.html

"California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s updated $203.3 billion budget proposal would cut school funding, cancel a planned boost in public pensions spending and draw down reserves to make up for a projected $54.3 billion budget deficit brought on by the coronavirus pandemic."

"The budget includes a significant decline in K-14 education funding, from $81.1 billion in last year’s budget to a projected $76 billion. The minimum amount required by California law would be $70.5 billion, but Newsom wants to add $4.4 billion from federal stimulus money the state has already received and use money that would have gone to extra pension payments to lessen the blow to schools."

"His revised 2020-21 budget plan would also reduce wages by 10 percent for California state workers and cut Medi-Cal services, including some dental and vision benefits."

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 7732
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 12:35:42 PM   
MakeeLearn

Coronavirus live news: China marks one month with no Covid-19 deaths as virus pushes Germany into recession
May 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/may/15/coronavirus-live-news-trump-says-he-could-cut-china-ties-as-global-deaths-pass-300000-latest-updates

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7733
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 1:42:34 PM   
Canoerebel

My son, a senior at the University of Georgia, came home for spring break and simply stayed, since the rest of the term switched to online. Now he's doing a serious May-mester online. I was close enough to overhear the lectures over the computer. Terribly boring, with the instructors teaching in monotones. I commented to that effect. My son agreed, but noted he'd had one of the professors before and that he was a much better lecturer in a classroom.

I know an instructor of art at Emory University. She says it cannot be taught online. Ditto an acquaintance teaching in construction and engineering. Remote teaching in music? Veterinary medicine? Pharmacy?

Remote learning is a necessary stopgap measure but not a long term solution. My son (and his fiance, an art major in South Carolina) fervently hope the classrooms will be open come fall.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 7734
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 1:51:58 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

My son, a senior at the University of Georgia, came home for spring break and simply stayed, since the rest of the term switched to online. Now he's doing a serious May-mester online. I was close enough to overhear the lectures over the computer. Terribly boring, with the instructors teaching in monotones. I commented to that effect. My son agreed, but noted he'd had one of the professors before and that he was a much better lecturer in a classroom.

I know an instructor of art at Emory University. She says it cannot be taught online. Ditto an acquaintance teaching in construction and engineering. Remote teaching in music? Veterinary medicine? Pharmacy?

Remote learning is a necessary stopgap measure but not a long term solution. My son (and his fiance, an art major in South Carolina) fervently hope the classrooms will be open come fall.

Are they recording the lectures and then editing them? That might make it better and quicker for the lectures. Then a student could go over any part that they might have trouble with. This would also help high school students in smaller schools which don't always have some of the more technical courses. Links could also be provided where students could get more information as well as any pictures and charts needed.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7735
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 1:57:00 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm not sure about editing, but I doubt it. The lectures are pretty long and editing takes a long time. They are necessary at the moment, and could have other uses (as you note), but IMO will never come close to the classroom environment. I've been teaching in classrooms for more than 30 years and love it. I can't imagine that remote learning could ever replace the old-fashioned way. It's a necessity (or convenience) of this modern world, but yuck.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7736
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 2:10:49 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

quote:

That is certainly one way of looking at it. Another might be to look at the relationship between ICU patients and confirmed cases.

Mid April there were 100 COVID patients in an ICU status with approx. 1,800 confirmed cases. A month later there are 200 COVID patients in ICU with 13,000 confirmed cases. With more testing the relationship between positive cases and ICU cases is likely to drop. Yet they are now projecting an increase to 3,600 ventilator cases over the next 8 weeks.

They are predicting 1700 deaths by end of May, 29,000 deaths for 12 months. They are according to worldometers at 672. Interesting to note, and sad, nursing home deaths account for 80%.

Also interesting that the model assumed an 80% compliance rate with the lockdown, but they just reported that there is about a 36% compliance. How that is measured I don't know...cell phone tracking perhaps? 36 is an awfully specific number.

I will give kudos to MN for releasing the model publicly, but it took them until yesterday to do it..

That's one way, however the most common is just a random sample asking about intentions to comply. If it's as low as 36% - eek!

quote:

I'm not sure about editing, but I doubt it. The lectures are pretty long and editing takes a long time. They are necessary at the moment, and could have other uses (as you note), but IMO will never come close to the classroom environment. I've been teaching in classrooms for more than 30 years and love it. I can't imagine that remote learning could ever replace the old-fashioned way. It's a necessity (or convenience) of this modern world, but yuck.

I think it depends both on the teacher and the learner. I've seen some great online lectures (Tim Pychyl springs immediately to mind), and what is engaging in person should also be engaging online.

To my mind the problem is that you've significantly less control over the learning environment with online classes, and interaction is much more of a challenge.

It is, however, something I would like to see become the norm. Bricks and mortar learning establishments have a role to play but we often forget that not everyone is in a position to attend bricks and mortar establishments.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7737
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 2:12:02 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

As my Mother use to say to us when we were kids...

"If you want to talk to me, come to where I am. Don't talk to me from another room, we are not Yankees!"

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7738
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 2:33:04 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

Philadelphia announced a 50% attendance level of online High School and lower education despite a huge push of donated chromebooks by concerned parties.

My duaghter is in a PHD program in Biomedical Engineering. She previously worked as a virologist on AIDS. Her education is ongoing, over zoom or the equivalent. When she took a final recently, she has to stand up and rotate her laptop around whenever asked by the Prof...to show no cheating. Below Phd level it is pass/fail, but she is still graded.

She also teaches undergrads online, well everything online. There is not enough time to edit the classes...just free form over Zoom.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/15/2020 2:37:17 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7739
RE: OT: Corona virus - 5/15/2020 2:48:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Even though I am at risk at work I have to admit I am getting damn tired of some slicked-back-hair guy in Sacramento telling me what beach I can walk on.

I am flying up to Bozeman, Montana in 2 weeks for some float trips on the Madison and maybe fish in Yellowstone too. And I'm not going to wear a mask standing hip deep in a river. I predict I will not be arrested in Montana.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7740
Page:   <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  256 257 [258] 259 260   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI