Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Corona virus

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 9:50:29 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

UK now considering voluntary isolation for up to four months for over-70s

Panic buying in full swing sadly, but plenty of stock available

Not sure the UK government are up to it at the moment, but they do appear to be swinging more behind the global effort rather than what looks like a bit of ad-hoc social engineering.

So odd to say they think in a week or two they'll impose a curfew for over-70s? Maybe this is to let relatives know they need to get them in a good state now before that happens?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 931
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 10:00:16 PM   
obvert

A very good article laying out why extreme measures are needed as soon as possible in response to the UK plan, but applicable to any country not enforcing social distancing measures.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/15/epidemiologist-britain-herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19

This is also interesting, and gives the UK decision and plan a more hopeful critique.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/15/this-coronavirus-crisis-has-forced-the-retirement-of-pantomime-johnson

< Message edited by obvert -- 3/15/2020 10:08:44 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 932
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 10:17:58 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olorin

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine

Survival of the vilest.

That is too political Olorin.

On the policy level, the idea that one can create a silo of calm and economic growth by closing borders and fixing the contagion within borders is not likely to work. International trade is what drives the economies of most nations beyond subsistence to progress. But international trade will require that the virus be beaten down everywhere to a tolerable level. So one country trying to monopolize any part of the response is counterproductive.

Respectfully - I disagree that Orlin's post is too political. I'd note that the same storyline is covered in Newsweek. Regardless of how you feel about Trump or the alligations made - something like this - it's not ahistorical. I agree that IF this storyline is true, it would be counterproductive to fighting this pandemic.

There is a lot of information we are all coming up with from other sources and sharing here. My 2-cents is that it behooves us to thicken our skin a bit when it comes to our personal biases. I just read the info earlier today about Zinc on this forum. I went looking for Zinc and it's not on any of the shelves around town. I found Coldeeze on sale on Amazon - two 36-count packages for $109 US... I found another source for lozenges that was more in my price range.

I'm not saying it's cool to T-off on Trump or any other politicians. But I'm totally good with the link and if someone thinks the info in the article is "vile," I'm not gunna trip over it.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off - I just don't want any real censorship unless someone is really beating the "politics horse" like there's no 2morrow in their post.

I'd like to thank everyone for posting. I really like reading the thoughts and opinions expressed in this thread. And I'd like to encourage everyone to "thicken up the skin" a bit and try not to attack each other.

The truest form of respect is to "hear" another's thoughts\opinions\beliefs and just accept that that is where they are at.

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 933
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 10:27:52 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

UK now considering voluntary isolation for up to four months for over-70s

Panic buying in full swing sadly, but plenty of stock available

Not sure the UK government are up to it at the moment, but they do appear to be swinging more behind the global effort rather than what looks like a bit of ad-hoc social engineering.

So odd to say they think in a week or two they'll impose a curfew for over-70s? Maybe this is to let relatives know they need to get them in a good state now before that happens?

Yes! They must stock up on condoms now!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 934
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 11:19:01 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

quote:

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine

Survival of the vilest.

On the policy level, the idea that one can create a silo of calm and economic growth by closing borders and fixing the contagion within borders is not likely to work. International trade is what drives the economies of most nations beyond subsistence to progress. But international trade will require that the virus be beaten down everywhere to a tolerable level. So one country trying to monopolize any part of the response is counterproductive.

Respectfully - I disagree that Orlin's post is too political. I'd note that the same storyline is covered in Newsweek. Regardless of how you feel about Trump or the alligations made - something like this - it's not ahistorical. I agree that IF this storyline is true, it would be counterproductive to fighting this pandemic.

There is a lot of information we are all coming up with from other sources and sharing here. My 2-cents is that it behooves us to thicken our skin a bit when it comes to our personal biases. I just read the info earlier today about Zinc on this forum. I went looking for Zinc and it's not on any of the shelves around town. I found Coldeeze on sale on Amazon - two 36-count packages for $109 US... I found another source for lozenges that was more in my price range.

I'm not saying it's cool to T-off on Trump or any other politicians. But I'm totally good with the link and if someone thinks the info in the article is "vile," I'm not gunna trip over it.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off - I just don't want any real censorship unless someone is really beating the "politics horse" like there's no 2morrow in their post.

I'd like to thank everyone for posting. I really like reading the thoughts and opinions expressed in this thread. And I'd like to encourage everyone to "thicken up the skin" a bit and try not to attack each other.

The truest form of respect is to "hear" another's thoughts\opinions\beliefs and just accept that that is where they are at.

My comment on the political part was his comment. I was uncalled for and unneeded.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 935
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/15/2020 11:58:36 PM   
durnedwolf

And all I'm saying is that I didn't find Olin's comment political whatsoever. We all have different views. I'm just suggesting we all be a little more forgiving and tolerant of each other's views. In the end, it's not for me or anyone else to decide; we have moderators.

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 936
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 12:15:02 AM   
geofflambert

Illinois and some other states have closed all bars and restaurants.

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 937
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 12:15:51 AM   
geofflambert

California, Ohio and Massachusetts, too.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 938
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 12:17:04 AM   
geofflambert

Can you lose a Michelin star over that?

Post #: 939
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 12:25:06 AM   
Canoerebel

This reputable website seems to have had a massive hiccup....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 940
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 12:31:40 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

thats a lot of people under 4 walls

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 941
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 12:37:40 AM   
RangerJoe

But look at the active cases!

― Julia Child

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 942
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 12:38:16 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Survival of the vilest.

Frankly, I doubt the veracity of the "anonymous source".

All reporters, both the good ones and the bad ones, use anonymous sources because otherwise they don't find out anything and only report the propaganda. Watch "All the President's Men" to see how that's done right, and how even then things can go awry. You don't trust the anonymous source, you have to trust the reporter and the editor to know the source and get confirmations from other sources. In the case of the NYT and WMDs in Iraq, the editors were asleep at the switch, I guess. When Judith Miller wanted confirmation Scooter Libby handed the phone to Karl Rove. Anyways, when people go to prison it's not politics anymore.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 943
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 12:41:00 AM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

This reputable website seems to have had a massive hiccup....

I am not drinking that Kool-Aid...

I am sooo looking 4ward to seeing the recovery rates go up.

< Message edited by durnedwolf -- 3/16/2020 12:44:06 AM >

DW

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 944
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 12:55:09 AM   
Canoerebel

Politics is tough because it's one part of the complexities of this situation. If we all agreed politically, we'd wish to include it in the discussion.

However each of us feels about a particular person or issue, there are others that feel just as strongly the other way. So if I make a point extolling or criticizing "profit-oriented healthcare" or "socialized healthcare" or whatever kind of healthcare, a number of others will strongly feel the other way and will feel a compelling need to reply and correct me or set the record straight or offer another perspective. And we go down that rabbit hole and seldom escape it without bruised feelings. And, usually, there are people that feel so strongly that they lose some control and get pretty doggone vicious or polemic about things.

So trying to walk a tightrope by avoiding politics seems to work best. Usually the gents of this Forum are pretty good at that.

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 945
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 12:56:36 AM   
geofflambert

Well, that's religion for you. Oops, we can't talk about that either.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 946
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 12:58:47 AM   
Canoerebel

Religion is seldom a topic in here - almost never. Forumites pretty much have always stayed clear of that.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/16/2020 12:59:41 AM >

Post #: 947
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 1:05:33 AM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

California, Ohio and Massachusetts, too.

I live in CA. The last time we did this was what - prohibition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E9ydw_aDMg

< Message edited by durnedwolf -- 3/16/2020 1:18:06 AM >

DW

Post #: 948
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 1:10:09 AM   
durnedwolf

quote:

Politics is tough because it's one part of the complexities of this situation. If we all agreed politically, we'd wish to include it in the discussion.

However each of us feels about a particular person or issue, there are others that feel just as strongly the other way. So if I make a point extolling or criticizing "profit-oriented healthcare" or "socialized healthcare" or whatever kind of healthcare, a number of others will strongly feel the other way and will feel a compelling need to reply and correct me or set the record straight or offer another perspective. And we go down that rabbit hole and seldom escape it without bruised feelings. And, usually, there are people that feel so strongly that they lose some control and get pretty doggone vicious or polemic about things.

So trying to walk a tightrope by avoiding politics seems to work best. Usually the gents of this Forum are pretty good at that.

I hear you. I am just hoping that folks feel free to post topics related to the Coronavirus here and that we all maybe give each other some "reasonable doubt" that we are not trying to twist each other's tail-feathers.

I'm totally down with letting the moderators moderate.

DW

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 949
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 1:16:21 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

Sorry, my intention wasn't to get political, but to comment on fallen human nature.
In times of crisis, the worst and best in men comes forth. If things get worse, we will see more of this.

I strongly suspect the human nature taken advantage of was our willingness to believe such things. Reflecting on how badly the outcome of any such effort as the news item reported would be causes me to be very skeptical of the report. What possible supposed benefit? Ruling the world by holding legal monopoly on a cure for a world plague? No, the news story does not make sense.

(in reply to Olorin)
Post #: 950
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 1:54:57 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Humor helps keep the depression away.

From Purgatory to Hell: America's oddest town names

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=20030401&slug=gas010

quote:

Purgatory, Maine
In Intercourse, Ala., named for the crossroads where the general store sits, Gladstone heard that after a series of car crashes outside the town's meeting hall, the local sewing instruction group was asked to take down its sign, "Intercourse Lessons Wednesday Night."

He did not learn the origin of the names of Rough and Ready and Fearnot, neighboring towns in Pennsylvania, but he did hear about a newspaper headline from the 1930s: "Fearnot Man Marries Rough and Ready Woman."

Another headline, this time from Nice, Calif., made Jay Leno's headline segment on "The Tonight Show": "Nice man arrested for beating wife."

― Julia Child

Post #: 951
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 1:56:59 AM   
Canoerebel

When I got married, the small town Georgia newspaper carried this announcement: Legg-Roper wedding.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 952
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 2:01:57 AM   
Canoerebel

In Georgia there are lots of odd names: Hopeulikit, Climax, Baconton, Coffee County, Needmore, Ty Ty, Dixie Union, Rough and Ready, are a few.

There are also beautiful names with Cherokee or Creek origins: Rising Fawn, Dewy Rose, Pine Log, Owl Town, Hemp Town, Mountain Town, Burnt Hickory.

There have been some sad occasions in which lovely or quirky names were changed to reach for commercial success. A century ago, Harmony Grove became Commerce. Jug Tavern became Winder. Big Shanty became Kennesaw.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 3/16/2020 2:02:55 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 953
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 2:24:26 AM   
RangerJoe

Pig's Eye became Saint Paul, Minnesota.

Bearbrass is now Melbourne in Australia.

Frankenstein, Germany is now Ząbkowice Śląskie, Poland.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 954
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 2:53:22 AM   
witpqs

Quick facts
Intercourse is an unincorporated village and census-designated place in Leacock Township, Lancaster County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania, 10 miles east of Lancaster on Pennsylvania Route 340. Intercourse is a popular site for tourists because of its location in "Amish country" and its sexually suggestive name.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 955
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 2:58:45 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: durnedwolf

And all I'm saying is that I didn't find Olin's comment political whatsoever. We all have different views. I'm just suggesting we all be a little more forgiving and tolerant of each other's views. In the end, it's not for me or anyone else to decide; we have moderators.

That's right, we do have moderators. And Erik has spoken. No politics:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I'd just like to ask again that we please try to keep politics out of this. Let's focus on information to help us all get through this pandemic, not discussion on whether one or another healthcare systems are superior. We are where we are and the virus is gunning for us all. We will all be happy to have those discussion on the other side of this. Right now focus on what unites us please.

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 956
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 3:02:11 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Just saw this on the web page, so here is what happened:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 957
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 3:06:30 AM   
Lovejoy

quote:

When I got married, the small town Georgia newspaper carried this announcement: Legg-Roper wedding.

In 1986, The Times ran an article discussing Michael Foot's appointment as head of an organization dedicated to nuclear disarmament in Europe with the headline "Foot Heads Arms Body"

The British have had some interesting ones:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/the-top-10-headlines-a7791871.html

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 958
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 3:13:00 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy

In 1986, The Times ran an article discussing Michael Foot's appointment as head of an organization dedicated to nuclear disarmament in Europe with the headline "Foot Heads Arms Body"

Now THAT is hilarious!

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 959
RE: OT: Corona virus - 3/16/2020 3:19:08 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lovejoy

Now THAT is hilarious!

There is this classic from 1983.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 960
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Corona virus Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI