Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/21/2020 9:59:09 PM   
Deepstuff3725

Believe it means “After Action Report”. It’s a write up describing the battle details and how things went down.

It would be fun to do on this battle, sure.

Mike has brought his Panzer II into a open square and he’s lined up on my Bazooka unit. Looking forward to seeing what happens.

Jeff

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 31
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/21/2020 10:46:27 PM   
rmmwilg

Ah ok. Yeh, This is the scenario '011 - Desparate Counterattack':

We're till in the thick of it, but having pushed back the forward posts, I've moved through the first half of the village with minimal casualties and now closing in on the last line of row-buildings. His right flank has pretty much collapsed, and I'm putting heavy pressure on the other, plus the centre simultaneously.

This is not an easy scenario to win as the US, even against the AI, but having said that, ya never know!

The blood letting continues on Monday!

If anybody would like to try do some MMP in this new format, let us know!

(in reply to Deepstuff3725)
Post #: 32
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/21/2020 11:00:40 PM   
rmmwilg

Hi Jeff,

Was looking thru Steam to prepare hosting on my PC, but I think I'll wait till we're on the phone again on Monday, and can have you lead me through it. I want to make sure I'm loading this in the right place.

Post #: 33
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/22/2020 10:28:56 PM   
Deepstuff3725

Sure Mike, be happy to help when we play tomorrow. No problem.

To make the process a little simpler for anyone interested:

Right now there is a game on Steam called Planet Bounce, and it supports the Remote Play Together.

1. Go on Steam and Search for Planet Bounce. Select play game. Get out of the game.
2. Go into TotH and copy all the folders and files in TotH
3. Open Steam, Steam Aps, Common, and then open the Planet Bounce folder.
4. Paste all TotH files into this folder
5. Delete the Planet Bounce.exe
6. Rename Tigers on the Hunt.exe to Planet Bounce.exe

Done

Run Steam and select to Play Planet Bounce. TotH will launch instead.

Now you can run that game and host a multiplayer game of TotH. You just need to connect in the Friends section, then select Remote Play Together when the game is running.

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 34
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/23/2020 12:52:05 AM   
rmmwilg

Thanks Jeff,

My issue was finding the free games associated with Remote Player and maybe that was my hangup. Maybe any free game will do? I want to try something other than Planet Bounce in case the right-click issue is associated with that particular game.

Looking forward to chatting with ya tomorrow. What sorta time do ya think?

Post #: 35
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/23/2020 1:33:50 AM   
Deepstuff3725

Would around 1pm Central time work?

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 36
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/23/2020 2:18:42 AM   
rmmwilg

Absolutely :)

Post #: 37
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/23/2020 3:18:43 PM   
z1812

@Deepstuff3725, I am always in awe of those who develop these inventive work arounds for software and games.

Post #: 38
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/23/2020 6:24:25 PM   
rmmwilg

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812

@Deepstuff3725, I am always in awe of those who develop these inventive work arounds for software and games.

Ditto

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 39
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/23/2020 9:07:12 PM   
rmmwilg

Everyone, it absolutely works!

As I said before, this scenario is tough for the US as it is, and I'm afraid things did not improve for Jeff. His left flank collapsed, and with too few squads as it is, the rest just rolled up.
Now that said, playing the AI and playing another person require very different balancing. But the really good news is that we now have proven, MMP TotH!!

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 40
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/23/2020 11:01:28 PM   
Deepstuff3725

Yep, was great playing online for sure.

I was able to get a clear shot at Mike’s tank and took it out. But his firepower was too much to hold back. Mike played well and captured all the objectives and I pulled back my two remaining broken squads and they escaped. Major German victory.

We look forward to playing more scenarios online soon.

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 41
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/24/2020 4:34:25 PM   
TomBombadil711

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff3725

You just need to connect in the Friends section, then select Remote Play Together when the game is running.

Great, I have found Planet Bounce at Steam and did as described. TotH starts but what about the quoted sentence above? I am not sure what do do. Where do I find the "Friends section" and "Remote Play Together"?

Thanks in advance.

Post #: 42
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/24/2020 6:28:05 PM   
Deepstuff3725

Hey Tom. Happy to help.
At the top of the Steam screen it should say “Friends”. I just brought up Steam to look at it...

First, the person you want to play needs to have Steam also. Then you need to connect with them with the “Friends” section. Click “Friends” at the top, then “add a friend”. Go through the process of sending a friend request and accepting the invite.

Once both of you are setup as Friends on Steam, if you click Friends it will show “View Friends List ( 1 Online )” if they are online. Click this. A window pops up showing you your “Online Friends”.

At this point play Planet Bounce which will start up Tigers on the Hunt. Go back to that pop up friends window and after your friends ID there is a little down error if you put your mouse cursor on it. click it. Then there will be an option that says “Remote Play Together”. Click this.

This sends an invite to your friend to play Planet Bounce. Your friend needs to select “play game” and then they will see your Tigers on the Hunt screen on their computer.

From here you can pick a scenario and go from there. Your friend will be able to use their mouse and keyboard to direct things in the game on your screen.

Hope this helps. Any questions just ask. Enjoy... 😎

(in reply to TomBombadil711)
Post #: 43
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/24/2020 6:34:55 PM   
TomBombadil711

Thank you very much! Looking forward to my first MP game.

Post #: 44
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/24/2020 7:02:30 PM   
Deepstuff3725

Awesome. Anxious to hear how it goes. 👍

(in reply to TomBombadil711)
Post #: 45
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/24/2020 9:05:45 PM   
rmmwilg

I'm available if someone would like to have a go; although it'll be better if they host as my main PC has died

Post #: 46
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/27/2020 9:34:56 PM   
Deepstuff3725

One more note. When accepting a “Play” invite, it shows up in a separate text box that shows up. It’s not in the “Friends” section. Hope this helps.

Have fun.

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 47
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 3/31/2020 4:38:56 AM   
Hailstone

For those playing multiplayer, avoid choosing scenarios ported
over by Hailstone because those scenarios were meant to be played
only as the attacking player. You won't know where the defense
zone starts/ends as written in the scenario. You will have to go to
the editor to allow for units to be placed in their defense zone(s).
Example, a scenario might say to setup north of hexes greater than 3
on the board. I will setup the defense as the scenario dictates but the
map will not show a bunch of open "enter" hexes north of hex row 3 - just
the hexes that I chose to place a unit. So unless you are inclined to
use the editor to make changes to include the original defensive setup
zone you will have to settle for the starting setup I already made for
the AI then take over from there.

Post #: 48
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 4/7/2020 1:22:41 AM   
Deepstuff3725

Mike and I played another scenario using Steam to do multiplayer. Everything worked well, however we did run into an issue at times with the German flamethrower causing the game to crash. Going forward I’ll save the scenario before any flamethrower is fired, just in case of a game crash. Was great fun playing it out online.

The scenario was A Gleam of Bayonets. He took the Germans and was tasked with attacking and taking the building objectives. I took the Russians amd tried to hold the ground and prevent his advance. The scenario is 6 turns long, and through the first 4 turns at times I was lucky to score some breaks and squad losses. Mike was able to secure a building for the Fatherland and with turn 5, just 2 turns left, he needed some luck. Firing from the building he scored massive hits on many hexes of my units and suddenly the fortunes started to shift. He attacked with a flamethrower unit and then the game crashed.

I was saving after each turn, so we had to start turn 5 again. This time he was able to inflict damage, but not to the extent as before. From there he advanced and took another building, and I advanced to take a dwelling back for the Russians. We played out turn 6 with both sides pretty much holding their ground.

At the end Mike captured around 3 of the objectives, scoring 5 points. I scored 12 points with the Russians. Result was a Russian draw and German minor defeat.

Enjoy seeing how this can play out and how the same scenario can go good for one side and then in another play through the other side can have more success. We played half this scenario last week and Mike had a lot of success early on and it looked like he would roll through all the Russian objectives. Today, the luck of the shooting was more on the Russian side and his attack stalled.

TotH is a great game to play and we’re having fun playing it.

Jeff

< Message edited by Deepstuff3725 -- 4/7/2020 1:25:39 AM >

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 49
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 4/7/2020 1:36:21 AM   
rmmwilg

Agreed. This went from one week, where everything looked to be a blitzkreig for the Reich to a complete shellacking the next after the game crashed and had to restarted! Must admit, early on single-playing also taught me to save after setup and at the end/beginning of every turn!

Post #: 50
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 4/7/2020 7:36:02 AM   
Paullus

Hi Guys,

Are you using the beta version 1.1.21? Also could you pm me the save file so I could search for the bug so Peter can fix it when he is able so tackle the bugs again?

Cheers

For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Post #: 51
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 4/7/2020 1:55:26 PM   
rmmwilg

Jeff has the file and game, since I can't host on my laptop. It does seem like that one event (GE flamethrower) was causing a crash sometimes. Not always though, and we didn't get to test whether the Russian one caused any issues.

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 52
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 4/7/2020 11:10:45 PM   
Deepstuff3725

Hey Guys. I just checked and I'm running version 1.0.82 of TotH, so that is probably the issue. I grabbed the 1.1.09 update and patched the game to the latest version.

Thinking this will probably fix that flamethrower issue. If there are any future issues when Mike and I play we'll let you know.

Thanks

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 53
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 4/8/2020 12:42:12 AM   
Michael T

Wow, I am almost tempted to buy this game just to try this new idea.

The only reason I haven't bought it to date is that I only play humans.

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 54
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 4/8/2020 6:32:19 AM   
Paullus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff3725

Hey Guys. I just checked and I'm running version 1.0.82 of TotH, so that is probably the issue. I grabbed the 1.1.09 update and patched the game to the latest version.

Thinking this will probably fix that flamethrower issue. If there are any future issues when Mike and I play we'll let you know.

Thanks

Great.

< Message edited by Paullus -- 4/8/2020 6:33:04 AM >

For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Post #: 55
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 4/8/2020 10:07:01 AM   
LN59

Good Job Guys!

This is a wonderful collective work, or I'm wrong!

Be careful for everyone.

Keep yourself and your loved ones healthy.

As the King's Musketeers used to say: "One for all! All for one!"

Toth Team > < Bad boys (and other viruses...)

Lilian

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LN59 -- 4/8/2020 10:08:02 AM >

"On ne passe pas !"
The French soldiers' motto (Verdun, 1916)

"One does not pass! The Covid-19 even less."
Years 2020, 2021 motto, 2022 distant memory

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 56
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 4/8/2020 2:50:38 PM   
rmmwilg

Definitely upgrade to the latest beta version (1.1.21) Jeff. I've been using it for quite a while, and it's stable.

(in reply to LN59)
Post #: 57
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 4/14/2020 2:03:41 PM   
fuselex

quick tip , save before using a flamethrower . I think that has never been fixed , more stable than before , but not 100 percent

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 58
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 4/15/2020 9:13:40 PM   
Deepstuff3725

Mike and I played another scenario via Steam with the Remote Play Together feature today. He hosted this time. We played "Gaven's Northern Assault" with him taking the Americans and I took the defending Germans. The battle was pretty even early on, but gradually I was able to break a lot of his units to keep them back. The scenario was looking good for the Germans, and I was moving some units down to prevent him exiting units off the bottom edge of the map when he opp fired and scored a major hit. He eliminated a whole stack of my units in one phase. From there he moved forward and advanced, and I lacked enough firepower to hold back the charge. He was able to get almost all his units exited off the map for a American Draw, Major German defeat. He was not able to exist his last stack during the "Advance" phase or else he would have scored even more points. It was a fun scenario, with that one attack eliminating all my units changing the course of the battle.

(in reply to fuselex)
Post #: 59
RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer - 4/15/2020 9:24:45 PM   
rmmwilg

It's been a long time since I saw quite such a devastating hit from a moderate (at best) FP attack!
I fired with two, US para squads and a leader at long range at his moving unit as they entered a trench hex. First fire broke his leader and two squads, plus reduced at least one of them, hoping to maybe reduce another, I Final fired on the second MP they used in the hex; however, that utterly devastated them! The only thing left was a lonely LMG left clattering to the ground!

It shattered his defense and left the door open for me to exit. That last stack was left stuck, because I thought one could still exit in the Advance phase, but I now remember the ASL rule about that, since it requires extra MP beyond just moving into the hex.

Great example of how things can suddenly change in this game. At the end of my half of turn 4, with most of my units broken or pinned, I really thought it was over!

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> RE: Here's a way to play multiplayer Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI