Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 4:53:05 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcooke

I don't know Zorch - I would take a few more fast BBs in the Pacific in 42.

Everyone is putting the German fleet as the sole reason for the deployment of USN fast BBs with the home fleet in 1942. There are a few other considerations:
- Operation Torch - the invasion of North Africa was planned for November 1942 and the fast BBs were needed to guard the invasion. Massachusetts is the only one I know of actually engaging during the invasion. I think CV Wasp was deployed for this too? Immediately after the Torch landings were deemed secure the USN BBs returned to the US for upgrades and Pacific deployment.

- the sudden expansion of the USN brought in a huge wave of raw recruits, and the veterans had to be scattered around the new ships coming to the USN. So overall crew experience was quite low and the deployment with the home fleet gave a chance to "work up" the crews in an environment of low air threat before they went to the Pacific.

- Pearl Harbour was still cleaning up the mess from December 7th, and may not have been ready to handle very many large vessels. Patching up the carriers alone must have taxed the shipyard a bit. Then there was all those cruisers that got banged up - Chicago, Honolulu, San Francisco, Portland, Minneapolis, Atlanta, etc.
warspite1

Not everyone. I think you are mixing up the Home Fleet with other operations. I do not believe for example that Massachusetts ever served with the Home Fleet. Home Fleet units were sent to the Med on occasion - and Arctic Convoys had to be suspended. But not all USN units that fought in the ETO were attached to the Home Fleet.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 31
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 5:19:00 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I really dislike how the term 'strategic' victory is used. Once historians get a look of a battle that was deemed tactical defeat at the time it was fought, they easily change it to a strategic win.

BTW. Did you guys know that Cannae was a Roman Strategic Victory?
warspite1

Why is it important whether a strategic victory/defeat is called at the time or later? Are you suggesting that the Kriegsmarine - Raeder in particular - was unaware at the time that strategically the withdrawal from France was a withdrawal that adversely affected the German strategy of subduing the United Kingdom by interdiction of the sealanes?

Do you think that the fact that his ships did not end up at the bottom of the English Channel significantly lessened his disquiet about the turn the war was taking by the action?

Put it this way. The British - the RAF and the RN - would have been deeply embarrassed by Cerberus. But, after the shock, embarrassment and anger had subsided in the coming days, what do you think was their reaction to these ships no longer being based on the west coast of France where they could much more easily slip out into the Atlantic? Relief. This was a strategic defeat for Germany.

First, I would like to point out that I didn't mention operation Cerberus. But if I am to comment it on the strategic level as you put it, then the British had won as soon as they decided to do the Channel Dash. Great Britain could have done nothing at all during the transfer and it would have been a strategic victory for them. May I suggest a what if here? What if Germany had changed their minds again and sortied out in the Atlantic? Then the Strategic Victory would disappear after the battle had been fought. This is the reason of my dislike of the term.

What if, after the Battle of Gettysburg, the South hade fought another major battle before withdrawing. The South didn't seek it but were forced to fight it anyway. And it was a bloody affair and the South held the field. A minor Southern win if you will. The Southern Army then decided to withdraw with plans to return next year. But were never able to do so. Then the Battle of Gettysburg wouldn't have been a Strategic Victory for the North. It would just have been called a undeceive Major battle. the last offensive battle would be the Strategic win. And this regardless of the battle outcome on the field.

Strategic victory is, in my humble opinion, more or less a meaningless way to describe the outcome of a battle. Or, in other words, one could win a strategic victory without ever firing a shot. Or by having an entire army annihilated.

Sorry for being off the topic.

BTW. Was Crete a Strategic Victory for the Allies?

With

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 5:39:30 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I really dislike how the term 'strategic' victory is used. Once historians get a look of a battle that was deemed tactical defeat at the time it was fought, they easily change it to a strategic win.

warspite1

Why is it important whether a strategic victory/defeat is called at the time or later? Are you suggesting that the Kriegsmarine - Raeder in particular - was unaware at the time that strategically the withdrawal from France was a withdrawal that adversely affected the German strategy of subduing the United Kingdom by interdiction of the sealanes?

Do you think that the fact that his ships did not end up at the bottom of the English Channel significantly lessened his disquiet about the turn the war was taking by the action?

Put it this way. The British - the RAF and the RN - would have been deeply embarrassed by Cerberus. But, after the shock, embarrassment and anger had subsided in the coming days, what do you think was their reaction to these ships no longer being based on the west coast of France where they could much more easily slip out into the Atlantic? Relief. This was a strategic defeat for Germany.

First, I would like to point out that I didn't mention operation Cerberus. But if I am to comment it on the strategic level as you put it, then the British had won as soon as they decided to do the Channel Dash. Great Britain could have done nothing at all during the transfer and it would have been a strategic victory for them. May I suggest a what if here? What if Germany had changed their minds again and sortied out in the Atlantic? Then the Strategic Victory would disappear after the battle had been fought. This is the reason of my dislike of the term.

What if, after the Battle of Gettysburg, the South hade fought another major battle before withdrawing. The South didn't seek it but were forced to fight it anyway. And it was a bloody affair and the South held the field. A minor Southern win if you will. The Southern Army then decided to withdraw with plans to return next year. But were never able to do so. Then the Battle of Gettysburg wouldn't have been a Strategic Victory for the North. It would just have been called a undeceive Major battle. the last offensive battle would be the Strategic win. And this regardless of the battle outcome on the field.

Strategic victory is, in my humble opinion, more or less a meaningless way to describe the outcome of a battle. Or, in other words, one could win a strategic victory without ever firing a shot. Or by having an entire army annihilated.

With

Don't know where you were going with the Crete situation, but the British had to move back to more defensible positions in Egypt, which was in balance with their military power in the region. So they gave up "strategic position" to save the strategic assets they had and be able to hold what really counted. Not a strat victory but not a defeat either.

Similarly, the German ships at Brest were being bombed constantly with a continuing list of minor damage for them to repair. Staying there was getting too hot for comfort, and Hitler needed the protective fighters in other regions so he decided to pull them out of the hot water and let them cool their heels in Norway. Not a strategic victory, but he saved his assets for a while. Problem was, he was too timid to use them.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 33
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 5:40:42 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

With
warspite1

Sorry we were talking about the Channel Dash so assumed you were picking up on this as an example of why you dislike subsequent pronouncements of strategic victories. If you weren't then my comments remain generally, but not in answer to your post!

If the Germans had subsequently sought to breakout then yes, the strategic victory would remain true. Why? because any such breakout would be naturally:

- more dangerous because:
- longer to travel
- having to pass through more patrol zones
- closer to aircraft at more stages of the journey
- closer to the home fleet for a large part of the journey
- a longer journey, necessitating more fuel expenditure (not a commodity in great supply!) which means more reliance on tankers (not a commodity in great supply!).

The conditions in 1942 were not those of 1939, 1940 or even 1941. The chances of a successful breakout through the North Sea/Norwegian Sea was much less. But even if it was successful, for the reasons given above, this would not negate that the withdrawal was a strategic defeat.

Without St Nazaire Tirpitz would only be considered as a one way trip and Hitler, scared for his Northern flank, would never have countenanced such an operation anyway.

The only possibility I would see for a change of view, would be if the Kriegsmarine were transferred north and decimated convoy after convoy. They didn't, they were a waste of resources, men and material - have you seen what the Germans employed just to try and keep Tirpitz safe? - and its difficult to see what they could have done to change that.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/13/2020 5:48:58 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 34
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 5:47:33 PM   
warspite1

Was Crete a strategic victory for the British?

Well let's put it this way:

a) Defence of the island was a tactical balls up
b) In so far as it affected North Africa, Crete (and Greece before it) was a tactical and strategic balls up
c) As far as the actual withdrawal from Crete is concerned, well it wasn't a choice the British had, they were ejected from the island, and so no it was not a strategic victory.

The only thing I can assume is that you are referring to the supposed delay in Barbarossa and the losses to the Fallschirmjager?? Well even if the Greek/Crete campaign had any bearing on Barbarossa, it in no way can be judged anything other than a

BALLS UP

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 6:03:17 PM   
Orm

My thinking in bringing Crete up was that it changed German doctrine in such sense that Germany didn't perform any major paradrop operations after that. And, it seems to me, that if a side changes doctrine after a battle historians seem keen on calling that battle a strategic win.

And who am I to say that it was, or wasn't. Perhaps, if the paras would have been available, then Germany might have used them to help Army Group South out in the Kiev region in 1941 instead of sending panzers from Army Group Centre. Changing the course of Barbarossa one way or the other.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 36
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 6:04:58 PM   
Orm

I would say that the Channel Dash was a strategic retreat, or withdrawal, by the German side. Does a strategic withdrawal automatically transfer to a strategic win to the opposing side?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 37
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 6:09:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

My thinking in bringing Crete up was that it changed German doctrine in such sense that Germany didn't perform any major paradrop operations after that. And, it seems to me, that if a side changes doctrine after a battle historians seem keen on calling that battle a strategic win.

And who am I to say that it was, or wasn't. Perhaps, if the paras would have been available, then Germany might have used them to help Army Group South out in the Kiev region in 1941 instead of sending panzers from Army Group Centre. Changing the course of Barbarossa one way or the other.
warspite1

Well others will know the Eastern Front much better than me but I can't see how that would make a difference and certainly not sufficient difference to call a Strategic Victory.

Germany has what? One division of paratroopers +. I can't see that their employment in 1941 or early 1942 would have really altered anything in the east, and come the end of 1942 - and almost entirely on the defensive - did they even have sufficient control of the skies to mount such operations? What would one division have done during Citadel? What would one division have done at Stalingrad? Who knows but I think history suggests that any Germans landing behind Soviet lines are going to get a very unpleasant welcome and one in which the defenders simply don't surrender.....

Could they have been used in the Western Desert? Maybe, but again when could they have done this with sufficient control of the skies... seems pretty unlikely to me.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/13/2020 6:11:59 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 38
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 6:14:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I would say that the Channel Dash was a strategic retreat, or withdrawal, by the German side. Does a strategic withdrawal automatically transfer to a strategic win to the opposing side?
warspite1

I guess so - otherwise the balance sheet ain't gonna balance....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 39
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 6:15:40 PM   
RangerJoe

Considering that fewer heavier elements of the Allied Navies were needed in the Atlantic after the channel dash except for the northern convoy routes, then it was a strategic plus for the Allies. Call that a victory.

Crete wrecked Hitlers enthusiasm for paratroopers falling from the sky, so that was a strategic plus for the Allies including the Soviets. Call that a victory. No airborne invasion of Malta nor any airborne invasions behind the Allied lines in North Afrika. Not to mention no such operations in the East which could have hastened things in 1941 or even 1942.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 40
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 6:42:44 PM   
Orm

I am not claiming it would have made a difference. I am merely trying to say that it was a change in doctrine. In military thinking. And in other battles such changes are often the reason they call it a strategic win.

My comment on Kiev was the first thing that come to mind where a important change might have had an impact if the doctrine hadn't changed. During the Battle of Kiev (1941) there was still some chaos in the Soviet armed forces. The Soviet air force was not strong at this point. So the German high command might have reasoned that the paras (reinforced) would be enough to close the Kiev pocket. And let AGC continue, at full strength (although they were seriously depleted), towards Moscow. I think that at that point they could drop a division and reinforce it with another light division in fairly short time. Even after considering the loss of air transport at Crete.

Anyway. The point is not whether this operation would work, or not. It Is whether AH would have thought it could work. Hence letting AGC continue its march towards Moscow.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 41
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 7:30:41 PM   
RangerJoe

The paratroopers could also have been used near Leningrad to slow down the supplies even more.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 42
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/13/2020 10:37:30 PM   
John 3rd

That video was well done. Any good books on this subject? Would love a recommendation or two!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 43
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/14/2020 8:15:29 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

That video was well done. Any good books on this subject? Would love a recommendation or two!
warspite1

Not read this - but this might be worth a look. I have ordered it today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Run-Gauntlet-Channel-Dash-1942/dp/1849085706/ref=pd_sbs_14_1/259-5513069-5060016?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1849085706&pd_rd_r=d9435371-2332-4f0d-889e-855d1881a19d&pd_rd_w=YxrUj&pd_rd_wg=QmT0f&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=522Z5JMHYTTZV171YCDR&psc=1&refRID=522Z5JMHYTTZV171YCDR

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 44
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/14/2020 8:50:33 AM   
Alfred

quote:

... Does a strategic withdrawal automatically transfer to a strategic win to the opposing side?

Why of course it does. How can you overlook the 1917 German strategic withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line as not constituting a strategic victory to the Entente. In fact just to ensure that the strategic victory was consolidated the Entente had to undertake the tactical defeats of the 1917 Nivelle and Passchendaele offensives. Luckily for the Entente the Germans cooperated with maintaining the strategic Entente victory by achieving their tactical victory in the 1918 Kaiser offensive to ensure that strategic German defeat remained on schedule.

But an even better demonstration is the considerable contribution to the strategic victory of the Entente provided by Italy. Why without those consecutive 11 Bsttles on the Isonso there is no guarantee that strategic victory over the Dual Monarchy would ever have come about. Mind you honourable mentions must be given to firstly Falkenhayen's success in tactically forcing Romania out of the war for that just ensured another strategic defeat on the Dual Monarchy, and secondly the 1916 Bruislov offensive which obviously gave strategic defeats to both the Dual Monarchy and Tsarist Russia.

Get with the program, one only ultimately wins when the opposing side experiences a large tactical victory (think of 1914 Tannenberg) which can only mean it becomes a strategic defeat for themselves and therefore a strategic victory for oneself.

Alfred

Edit:

PS forgot to mention. When in doubt as to whether a battle is correctly categorised as being a tactical/strategic victory/defeat, always rely upon the assessment provided by Capt. Blackadder. Now there is a man who truly recognises the true state of affairs.

< Message edited by Alfred -- 6/14/2020 8:57:10 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 45
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/14/2020 9:45:17 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

... Does a strategic withdrawal automatically transfer to a strategic win to the opposing side?

Why of course it does. How can you overlook the 1917 German strategic withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line as not constituting a strategic victory to the Entente. In fact just to ensure that the strategic victory was consolidated the Entente had to undertake the tactical defeats of the 1917 Nivelle and Passchendaele offensives. Luckily for the Entente the Germans cooperated with maintaining the strategic Entente victory by achieving their tactical victory in the 1918 Kaiser offensive to ensure that strategic German defeat remained on schedule.

But an even better demonstration is the considerable contribution to the strategic victory of the Entente provided by Italy. Why without those consecutive 11 Bsttles on the Isonso there is no guarantee that strategic victory over the Dual Monarchy would ever have come about. Mind you honourable mentions must be given to firstly Falkenhayen's success in tactically forcing Romania out of the war for that just ensured another strategic defeat on the Dual Monarchy, and secondly the 1916 Bruislov offensive which obviously gave strategic defeats to both the Dual Monarchy and Tsarist Russia.

Get with the program, one only ultimately wins when the opposing side experiences a large tactical victory (think of 1914 Tannenberg) which can only mean it becomes a strategic defeat for themselves and therefore a strategic victory for oneself.

Alfred

Edit:

PS forgot to mention. When in doubt as to whether a battle is correctly categorised as being a tactical/strategic victory/defeat, always rely upon the assessment provided by Capt. Blackadder. Now there is a man who truly recognises the true state of affairs.

And he has a cunning plan, too.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 46
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/14/2020 9:47:09 AM   
Alfred

Copyright infringement.  I think Baldrick might claim copyright on that.

Alfred

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 47
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/14/2020 9:52:42 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Copyright infringement.  I think Baldrick might claim copyright on that.

Alfred

That's Sir Baldrick now. Anyhow he sold the rights to Blackadder for a turnip.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 48
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/14/2020 11:56:15 AM   
fcooke

The Big Mamie is worth a visit if you are ever near Fall River. They still have marked out where I think a French 8 inch shell breached the hull. As to the German navy, I think the the fleet in being paid for itself in creating the dispersal of PQ17 and the ultimate carnage that ensued. And the pocket battleships were a very creative design. The B + T not so much. The heavy cruisers seemed to be good work. And the subs were obviously effective. The light cruisers seemed a little ehhh.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 49
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/14/2020 12:30:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

The Big Mamie is worth a visit if you are ever near Fall River. They still have marked out where I think a French 8 inch shell breached the hull. As to the German navy, I think the the fleet in being paid for itself in creating the dispersal of PQ17 and the ultimate carnage that ensued. And the pocket battleships were a very creative design. The B + T not so much. The heavy cruisers seemed to be good work. And the subs were obviously effective. The light cruisers seemed a little ehhh.
warspite1

But PQ17 was one convoy. Just one convoy. I don't think PQ17 can be considered an adequate return for all that manpower and resource spent on manning the ships, trying to keep them safe (Luftwaffe as well as Kriegsmarine), repairing the ships and keeping them supplied with fuel.

The pocket battleships may have seemed like a good idea - faster than any stronger ship and stronger than any faster ship - but they weren't. Aside from the fact that this wasn't true (the British BC's saw to that), when the Dunkerques came along the writing was on the wall. Having all their main armament in two turrets wasn't clever either - as shown when confronted with multiple targets.

The heavy cruisers suffered from temperamental engines, although Hipper made one reasonable sortie. I think the Bismarck and Tirpitz were decent enough for what they were (could have done with a dual-purpose secondary armament) and were more powerful than anything the RN had, but their problem was that time had moved on and BB's had had their day. As for the Scharnhorsts, they were simply under-gunned for the size of ship as the 15-inch gun was not at that time available.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 50
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/14/2020 2:09:50 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

warspite1

But PQ17 was one convoy. Just one convoy. I don't think PQ17 can be considered an adequate return for all that manpower and resource spent on manning the ships, trying to keep them safe (Luftwaffe as well as Kriegsmarine), repairing the ships and keeping them supplied with fuel.

The pocket battleships may have seemed like a good idea - faster than any stronger ship and stronger than any faster ship - but they weren't. Aside from the fact that this wasn't true (the British BC's saw to that), when the Dunkerques came along the writing was on the wall. Having all their main armament in two turrets wasn't clever either - as shown when confronted with multiple targets.

The heavy cruisers suffered from temperamental engines, although Hipper made one reasonable sortie. I think the Bismarck and Tirpitz were decent enough for what they were (could have done with a dual-purpose secondary armament) and were more powerful than anything the RN had, but their problem was that time had moved on and BB's had had their day. As for the Scharnhorsts, they were simply under-gunned for the size of ship as the 15-inch gun was not at that time available.

Weren't S & G poor sea boats - the freeboard too low for rough conditions and the stern area always wet? During the Battle of North Cape the Scharnhorst's forward turret flooded out as she was crashing through heavy seas trying to escape.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 51
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/14/2020 3:39:22 PM   
Shellshock

quote:

I think the Bismarck and Tirpitz were decent enough for what they were (could have done with a dual-purpose secondary armament) and were more powerful than anything the RN had, but their problem was that time had moved on and BB's had had their day. As for the Scharnhorsts, they were simply under-gunned for the size of ship as the 15-inch gun was not at that time available.

For whats it's worth the Bismarck's design is included among others in Anthony Preston's 2003 book The World's Worst Warships. She had a number of inherent design flaws including but not limited to:

Triple screw propulsion - an undesirable feature of her direct design ancestor, the 1913 Bayern Class battleships;

Twin main gun turrets - three triple turrets would have been about the same weight allowing fewer hull openings while providing an extra tube. the Bismarcks were the only capital ships designed post WW1 where the main battery was exclusively located in twin gun mounts.

The already mentioned single purpose secondary guns - The 15cm twin batteries were exclusively surface weapons whereas all Bismarck's counterparts (except the equally flawed Yamatos) had dual purpose secondary guns and so could dispense with the weight-wasting tertiary 10.5cm twin mounts.

Poor AA gun control and arrangement - the 10.5 cm batteries had separate forward/aft controls rather than port/starboard fire control. Although her only air targets were slow flying Swordfish and a Catalina and despite much shooting, she failed to swat down a single plane. The tired canard that the targets were too slow for the director settings lives on in myth but since the directors were actually dual purpose this excuse seems entirely bogus.

Although Bismarck proved difficult to sink, she proved very easy to disable and she had stopped firing within 20-minutes in her last battle. There is evidence that the design was too rigid and prone to internal shock damage and given her own guns knocked out her forward radar with the opening salvo against Norfolk and Suffolk and the loss of a couple of boilers from one of the non-penetrating torpedo hits from the first air attack this is certainly possible.

In the Battle of the Denmark Strait, the Hood was lost fighting a tactically mismanaged but doctrinally sound sea control battle, whereas Bismarck was ultimately destroyed chasing the fantasy of decisive raider warfare.

Bismarck (and Tirpitz) probably would have served the Germans far better had they been melted down and turned into U-Boats.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 52
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/14/2020 5:26:35 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shellshock

quote:

I think the Bismarck and Tirpitz were decent enough for what they were (could have done with a dual-purpose secondary armament) and were more powerful than anything the RN had, but their problem was that time had moved on and BB's had had their day. As for the Scharnhorsts, they were simply under-gunned for the size of ship as the 15-inch gun was not at that time available.

For whats it's worth the Bismarck's design is included among others in Anthony Preston's 2003 book The World's Worst Warships. She had a number of inherent design flaws including but not limited to:

Triple screw propulsion - an undesirable feature of her direct design ancestor, the 1913 Bayern Class battleships;

Twin main gun turrets - three triple turrets would have been about the same weight allowing fewer hull openings while providing an extra tube. the Bismarcks were the only capital ships designed post WW1 where the main battery was exclusively located in twin gun mounts.

The already mentioned single purpose secondary guns - The 15cm twin batteries were exclusively surface weapons whereas all Bismarck's counterparts (except the equally flawed Yamatos) had dual purpose secondary guns and so could dispense with the weight-wasting tertiary 10.5cm twin mounts.

Poor AA gun control and arrangement - the 10.5 cm batteries had separate forward/aft controls rather than port/starboard fire control. Although her only air targets were slow flying Swordfish and a Catalina and despite much shooting, she failed to swat down a single plane. The tired canard that the targets were too slow for the director settings lives on in myth but since the directors were actually dual purpose this excuse seems entirely bogus.

Although Bismarck proved difficult to sink, she proved very easy to disable and she had stopped firing within 20-minutes in her last battle. There is evidence that the design was too rigid and prone to internal shock damage and given her own guns knocked out her forward radar with the opening salvo against Norfolk and Suffolk and the loss of a couple of boilers from one of the non-penetrating torpedo hits from the first air attack this is certainly possible.

In the Battle of the Denmark Strait, the Hood was lost fighting a tactically mismanaged but doctrinally sound sea control battle, whereas Bismarck was ultimately destroyed chasing the fantasy of decisive raider warfare.

Bismarck (and Tirpitz) probably would have served the Germans far better had they been melted down and turned into U-Boats.
warspite1

Indeed. All warships are about compromise. As said, there was no way the Germans weren't going to build them (think mid-1930's not 1945) but time and resource was not on the side of the naval designers. Triple turrets, better AA, better propulsion etc etc. Nothing that could have been achieved would have done much to alter their fate.

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 53
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/14/2020 7:14:16 PM   
Mundy

An added bonus to using triple turrets would be the ability to shorten the armored belt, saving weight.

What is the disadvantage of the triple screw layout. Just wondering.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 54
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/14/2020 8:28:01 PM   
Shellshock

There's a page at NavWeapons that goes into the pluses and minuses of various screw layouts.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-036.php

Advantages, allows increased power through narrow stern section.

Disadvantages. Inefficient power utilization, high noise and vibration levels. Severe design problems with regard to interaction of power train configuration with other parts of ship.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 55
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/15/2020 12:14:27 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

HMS Vanguard had four twin 15" turrets, to use available equipment.

The Italian Littorio class BBs had 152mm, 120mm and 90mm guns. It seems the Axis did not believe in DP armament. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_battleship_Vittorio_Veneto

I don't buy the argument that Hood's engagement with Bismarck was tactically bad. The admiral knew that Hood was vulnerable to plunging fire so he raced bows-on to close the range, and to get a better view of the German ships that had the retreating night sky behind them while the British were silhouetted against a lighter dawn sky. Hood was unlucky at the moment she was turning to bring full broadside to bear. How was the British admiral to know that if he kept bows-on that shell would have missed?

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 56
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/15/2020 12:15:47 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

There's a page at NavWeapons that goes into the pluses and minuses of various screw layouts.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-036.php

Advantages, allows increased power through narrow stern section.

Disadvantages. Inefficient power utilization, high noise and vibration levels. Severe design problems with regard to interaction of power train configuration with other parts of ship.

No mention of cramming three screws and a rudder or two into a smaller area for a torpedo to mess with?

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 57
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/15/2020 1:12:13 AM   
fcooke

Give me four screws. Better for speed and better to handle battle damage.

And HMS Vanguard was an interesting creature. Were those 15 inch guns left over from what? I think some WW1 project? Anyway a KGV with better guns. The 4/2 set-up did not really work well on the KGVs. And yes, the Hood was incredibly unlucky. But IMO should have have been in that position to start with. Nor the POW. I think she still had contractors on board working things out.

IIRC the B was basically a somewhat improved Bayern.....a lot of hype about her and her sister. But odd luck aside I think any modern BB would have a good chance of taking her down 1 on 1.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 58
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/15/2020 1:32:01 AM   
Shellshock

quote:

And HMS Vanguard was an interesting creature. Were those 15 inch guns left over from what? I think some WW1 project? Anyway a KGV with better guns. The 4/2 set-up did not really work well on the KGVs. And yes, the Hood was incredibly unlucky. But IMO should have have been in that position to start with. Nor the POW. I think she still had contractors on board working things out.

The guns and turrets were originally constructed for the battlecruisers Courageous and Glorious during the First World War, and were removed during the conversions of these ships to aircraft carriers in the 1920s. Vanguard was originally supposed to have triple 16" mounts but using these leftover guns saved construction time.

quote:

IIRC the B was basically a somewhat improved Bayern.....a lot of hype about her and her sister. But odd luck aside I think any modern BB would have a good chance of taking her down 1 on 1.

A lot of hype indeed. It's sometimes been my experience that posting anything negative about the Bismarck, the darling battleship of the Internet Forums is likely to result in accusations of trolling and flaming but it's a chance to take. For some, the myth of Bismarck seems to makes her into a super-ship in some sort of Wagnerian drama that came within a hair's breadth of winning the war at sea and changing the course of history. Go figure.

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 59
RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau - 6/15/2020 6:50:37 AM   
warspite1

quote:

A lot of hype indeed. It's sometimes been my experience that posting anything negative about the Bismarck, the darling battleship of the Internet Forums is likely to result in accusations of trolling and flaming but it's a chance to take. For some, the myth of Bismarck seems to makes her into a super-ship in some sort of Wagnerian drama that came within a hair's breadth of winning the war at sea and changing the course of history. Go figure.

warspite1

Very true! But I don't think there is that danger on this forum - at least I don't think so.

I've actually had it argued on another forum that, because Bismarck was, supposedly, scuttled and not sunk, that the victor of her last battle - certainly in terms of honour - were the Germans.

You'd need your brain wired in a very special sort of way to come to that conclusion.. but they are out there...

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI