Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 7/22/2003 11:43:03 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Aaarrrrgh Jess you are as bad as my old wargaming opponent.

He was always insisting on DYO, because properly thought out balanced scenarios were never good enough for him hehe.

So we always ended up with altogether to large to many map panels major slug fest games that never finished.

It's easy to cure though. Did it to a buddy once.

He bought a cool unit with cool SS and neat tanks etc.

I bought aaaaaaaall the garbage Russians I could afford worst to best in that order.
I massively outnumbered him ooodles to one in squads.

It's simple math. One SS squad even with cool special abilities purchased, is no match for say 15 lunatic conscript squads with no leaders and nothing but a passion for shooting at everything in sight hehe.
Each one of his squads had to deal with it's own human wave assaults hehe.

Oh I won by the way and he learned his lesson :)

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 31
- 7/22/2003 11:44:50 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Oh by the way Jess

[SIZE=4]Back to work, I have run out of scenarios to test! hehe[/SIZE]

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 32
- 7/22/2003 11:53:51 PM   
M4Jess

Oh..I have another great one...I was the Russians..Stalingrad using the #1 board...I had a 10-3 3 Guards Squads..and 3 HMGs on a 3rd level building hex...man my LOS was great and I was hosing the Germans down!:D

:( until:(

a German 150mm round landed a CH !!:eek: :( :eek:

The building went down killing all of my units...and to top it off...
The rubble landed on top of 3 tanks with Guard riders:eek: :(
I was holding in reserve....

I got drunk that night.....

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 33
- 7/22/2003 11:58:14 PM   
M4Jess

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Oh by the way Jess

[SIZE=4]Back to work, I have run out of scenarios to test! hehe[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

sending two off two to WB tonight...:p

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 34
- 7/23/2003 2:02:04 AM   
Major_Johnson

Man, in 69 I was 13! I still have a GI Joe from that era, but it's missing all accessories. All he has left is his camoflauged fatigues. But I do still have all of my plastic soldiers, tanks, jeeps, halftracks etc! American, German, Japanese and Russian! I keep say I'm saving them for my son, if that day ever happens. But then I don't know if I'll let him play with them anyway!!! :) They're almost antiques!

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 35
- 7/23/2003 2:49:35 AM   
tmac

Still got all those too Major...mostly Marx Civil and WWII soldiers and accessories. My GI Joe's were annihilated by 2 younger brothers. Still have a pile of models and wargames too...wish I could find more time for them, but SPWAW is too addictive.

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 36
- 7/23/2003 2:54:16 AM   
tmac

My one regret is never having played SL or ASL. I was always kinda interested but it was always way too rich for my blood to get involved. At those times I was a high school or dirt poor college student, and those games seemed to require a huge initial investment and then endless add on mods. I might have been tempted further but I didn't have any buddies who would have been into it too, so it just wasn't worthwhile. Oh well, there are pc surrogates, I guess, from what I've read here.

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 37
- 7/23/2003 3:24:41 AM   
Bing

Les - Now I understand. Yes, so far as i know AH was the only major publlisher who issued maps on stiff cardboard backing. I don't think I said anything about SPI being inferior - they were different, I bought many of their releases, still have a few, of which a couple have (unmounted maps) second to none. Like I said, at one time I subscribed to both S&T and Moves, which I would not have done had I felt they were inferior.

I was referring to the arguments which used to rage about "game" versus "simulation"; for that matter I have seen guys come close to physical violence over the miniatures versus board issue. All seems pretty silly now. We're a far more tolerant group, I think. Play what you want the way you want, I always did both, miniatures and boardgames.

I still think paper Harpoon is the best simulation of all time, for several reasons, but it doesn't translate much as a "game" in conventional usage of that term. Beer and pretzels paper Harpoon never was. There is a strong, albeit rather small, group of paper Harpoon devotees.

I took the easy way out for using mapsheets. I had several pieces of plywood in various sizes. Choose the one which suits the maps to be used. Lay down the maps. Cover the maps with a large clear plastic. Drive thumbtacks through the plastic and maps into the plywood. Instant mounted maps, some of them pretty good size. The clear plastic prevented the maps becoming worn; some of the SL boards were in places rubbed clean of ink.

The clear plastic method also worked well with miniatures such as Command At Sea: I used grease pencils to outline land masses and other features. A bit of work, but it looked fairly good.

We could also plot ship movement and torpedo tracks directly on the plastic with grease pencils. Playing the IJN in Savo sound scenarios, you almost had to have something like this: There could be a dozen or more torps in the water at the same time. Used the same methods with other naval games too.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 38
- 7/23/2003 4:38:16 AM   
dlazov

M4 Jess wrote:

[QUOTE]
Oh..I have another great one...I was the Russians..Stalingrad using the #1 board...I had a 10-3 3 Guards Squads..and 3 HMGs on a 3rd level building hex...man my LOS was great and I was hosing the Germans down!
[/QUOTE]

I have a better one (imo), me and my ASL buddy were doing the Red Barricades grand campaign. It was on the third campaign game. I set setup HIP my 9-2 leader, with 3 6-2-8 and 3 hmg's in the center of a gutted building. On the outside of the gutted building I laid ap mines and stuck some ? conscripts up. My opponent 'zapped' the conscripts and moved two 8-3-8's into the mine hex and got one K1. After he cleared the mines and finished off the conscripts he cautiously moved into the gutted bulding searching and rolling crap. He got cocky and I sighed. He moved a stack with a 10-2 leader and 2 8-3-8's with mmgs right next to my HIP. With beads of sweat from holding my fire I waited. He moved right into my hex. I said "Wait", and at TPP fire I proceed to k1 and k2 his squads. I kept "rate" and his leader took a task check and failed. After I 'zipped' his point attack he brought in a StuG and trashed me. Never-the-less it was so great to see his face when I said "wait" and proceeded to stick that big stack there.

In a rematch I set up two German killer stacks with a 9-2 leader and 2 4-6-8 squads each with a hmg. Altogether it was either 48 at normal range or 28 with just the heavies -2. He setup a bunch of 4-4-7 in fortified buildings across the street. I 'zapped' three stacks before loosing rate. The next turn I wasted a 76mm art piece and then here comes his OBA Russian Rockets. He rolled box cars on one of my stacks and a 4 on the other. Killer stacks were dead.

Ah, those were fun days.

DGL

An army of rabbits led by a lion, will beat an army of lions, led by a Rabbit. Napoleon

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 39
- 7/23/2003 5:35:16 AM   
cadmus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tmac
[B]My one regret is never having played SL or ASL. s Oh well, there are pc surrogates, I guess, from what I've read here. [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't waste a lot of energy on regrets. ASL was a truly great experience and I, and a lot of others, had some great times with it. But I fully expect Combat Leader, although it won't be an ASL clone for the computer, will give you much the same degree of satisfaction and pleasure without ... 1. the endless hours spent reading and trying to memorize the rules, 2. endless legalistic arguments over rule interpretations 3. the constant struggle to find someone as obsessed as you to play with.

The future looks bright!

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 40
Re: True Story - 7/23/2003 5:57:08 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by M4 Jess
[B]In (around) 1982 My best friend Don (some of you guys met Don at Aberdeen) and I laid out all of the ASL boards on our apartment floor...It was hugh! We could not even reach the middle boards!:eek: We both owned 2 full sets of counters..:D I was the American...:rolleyes: and Don the Germans...we used both FULL sets of counters!:cool: A turn lasted hours..and the battle was set up for weeks...no partys..no girls..no visiters at all...STAY OUT we have the mother of all battles going on here...

ahhhh those were the days!:) [/B][/QUOTE]

You grew up in a Rambler (see the first post in the thread), and spent weeks locked in a room with a guy named Don, forsaking parties and girls...

And we wonder why you're so strange! :D

BTW, the Rambler thing says a lot about why you like those Shermans...I think they came from the same assembly line. ;)

What, me worry?

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 41
U R Correct Bernie... - 7/23/2003 6:26:29 AM   
Orzel Bialy

I think most Ramblers were indeed manufactured using the re-cycled remains of war-wrecked Shermans. :D

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 42
- 7/23/2003 6:31:50 AM   
Banjo

Such a great thread down memory lane. There quite a lot we all have in common, only some of the dates changed. I was turned on to gwargaming in high school, with Alesia. I played the Gauls and eveyone was convinced that I was doomed until the high number counters entered the board from an almost completely empty sector. The looks on the faces of my two "Roman" oponents and spectators was pricelss. You know that look. I discovered SL in 79, and life hasn't been the same since. Fortunatly, I was single making decent money, and was able to afford the ASL series. A few years ago I finaly bought a new PC and the wonderful world of the internet. The websites devoted to ASL was getting my yearning to get back into it was in full gear. SASL was just what the doctor ordered, and the software assistant programs were forcing me to remember all of those rules and task checks that no one I knew really understood. But one day.......

I met up with someone who I saw once a year and I knew was into gaming. I had told him I had just bought a computer..... He told me about this SPWAW game. 30 some odd hours + download time later on my dial up modem I had it. Of course it fineshed downloading about 5 minutes before I had to leave to go to work on a monday morning!!! Needless to say I got very little sleep that week. As much as I love SPWAW and check for a release date almost daily, nothing beats holding those multi colored die, and praying for snake eyes, then checking the subsequent chart to find out whether or not the building was rubbled or not. Of course flaming rubble was even better. It is also impossible to have too many counters on the board.

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 43
To Bernie and Ken - 7/23/2003 6:33:06 AM   
M4Jess

I am not talking to YOU anymore...if you have somthing to say...call my ex-wife!:mad:

:p

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 44
Re: To Bernie and Ken - 7/23/2003 7:12:46 AM   
tracer

[B]I am not talking to YOU anymore...if you have somthing to say...call my ex-wife!:mad:

:p [/B][/QUOTE]

Would that be...Olga? :p :D

Jim NSB

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 45
- 7/23/2003 8:17:35 AM   
M4Jess

mmmmm Olga!.....................

I must find her pic! :D

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 46
Re: To Bernie and Ken - 7/23/2003 9:31:30 AM   
Bernie

[B]I am not talking to YOU anymore...if you have somthing to say...call my ex-wife!:mad:

:p [/B][/QUOTE]

Shhhheeeesh! You wake up on the wrong side of the turret this morning, or did your ex get custody of the Rambler? :)

What, me worry?

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 47
Memories - 7/23/2003 1:22:41 PM   
Martin Sabre

In '69 I was just a toddler, but odd that I still have the memory of watching the first moon landing on our old family black & white TV :)

I first got into wargaming at about the age of eleven through a school friend, firstly we started with some Napoleonics, using the old Airfix HO scale figures, but we soon progressed onto 25mm stuff. Napoleonics is still an area that I love and return to every so often when I need a break from things. Since those early days I must have gamed almost every possible era from Ancients through to Modern day and with the 20th century stuff on land, sea and in the air. Sadly though my days for figure gaming are no more, a lack of space and several changes of address means that what figures I do have left are all now in storage, but they will at least be a good investment for my kids when they are old enough to appreciate them.

My first ever boardgame was the old SPI Kursk game, where I grew up there was only ever the one shop that sold games like that and they never stocked any AH games. For AH games you had to go to Birmingham or London at the time. Fortunately Birmingham was quite near, so it didn't take long for me to start to build up a collection. One of the first AH games I got was Panzerblitz, I got it when we went on holiday and for two weeks my parents never saw me ;) Eventually after many years of avoiding it I got hooked on SL and ASL and my gaming came virtually full circle (SL was the first boardgame that I played with my my friend that introduced me to gaming). I still have a huge boardgame collection, some fairly rare and a some fairly common but again a lack of space means that for now they remain in storage but safe for the future and a time when I can maybe teach my kids the fun that is gaming.

Martin

You can never find a 10-3 when you need one

[img]http://www.geocities.com/katzzuck/ab2.txt[/img]

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 48
- 7/23/2003 1:29:29 PM   
Capt. Pixel

You guys are makin' my bones ache. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bing
[B]...When I bought the Isby "Air War" (SPI) I remember having to spend three days just reading the rules. We eventually decided that not even Isby knew what some of the rules meant. Air War was so "detailed" we half expected to come across a pre-flight inspection walk around, including kicking the tires.
Best from here,

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

If I recall, 'Kicking the tires' before tearing off down Mig Alley [I]was[/I] recommended in the rules. I enjoyed the hell out of that game, but could never get anyone to commit to learning the 3-D aspects of the rules. Movement and Fire Arcs in 2D was enough for most of them to handle. Even my ASL buddies were daunted by it. :(

I didn't get exposed to boardgames until '74. Some looney tunes down the hall in my dorm took their entire floor to lay out a map of eastern europe and played that darned game for an entire semester. (was that [I]you[/I] Jess?) We could observe by laying on our stomachs on the bunk bed crossed in front of their dormroom door. Frankly, those guys unnerved me just a little bit.

Over the next several years, most of my 'entertainment' dollars went into Avalon Hill, SPI and others. I never regretted it, and I never looked back. My 'dollars/hour' entertainment was about as cheap as you could get. All that and a girlfriend to boot! :cool:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 49
- 7/23/2003 3:30:17 PM   
Klinkenhoffen

I had / have still a couple of second world war aviation games.
Air Force (Europe) and Dauntless ( Pacific).

Basically aircraft to aircraft combat. I played with a mate but never did find any one else who had even heard of them.

A good game but prefered land warfare.

It's all gone horribly wrong !

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 50
- 7/23/2003 8:55:24 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

You know, I have been called an elitist by some outsiders that just don't get it eh.

You can always tell a real wargamer though, we have those old war stories about our grognard days at the table.

Some of us like computers for numerous reasons (most for reasons of practicality), but it always comes back to us having enjoyed those board games for what they were to us.

I don't think we old grogs are better than the new to wargaming type that missed the board gaming years, but well, what can I say, I was there, and some weren't.

I could never outdo a vet myself. I wasn't there, they were. Same thing.
Calling a boardgamer an elitist would be as dumb as calling a vet an elitist for being able to chuckle about the peculiarities of shared experience with other vets.

I can rip apart a bad computer wargame simply because I am USED to the guts of what makes a wargame good or not. I have read zillions of pages of dry boring sounding text. It's second nature to me, to relate to all that data...the hard way.

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 51
- 7/24/2003 8:14:58 AM   
darroch

This is a fun thread.

First game: Panzerblitz - typically played all night long with COke and Doritos....age 12.....

Then discovered SPI: War in the East, War in Europe...they got too big but oh what fun....

Years passed - my old buddy spotted SP3....man are we hooked...

We have pretty much agreed that if SPWAW and the other computer games were available back then, we'd still be down in the basement, gross, pallid, and fat on Coke and chips and loving every minute of it...

Cheers

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 52
I own the cool'st ASL storys.... - 7/24/2003 8:22:46 AM   
M4Jess

Or can you top me......:eek:

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 53
Re: I own the cool'st ASL storys.... - 7/24/2003 11:15:26 AM   
Capt. Pixel

[B]Or can you top me......:eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmmmmmm, Jess..... I didn't know you 'swung' that way. ;)

[SIZE=1]ba.dump.bump[/SIZE]

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 54
- 7/24/2003 7:06:47 PM   
M4Jess

I am not talking to you NOW also....

M4 Jess is NOT talking to Ken, Bernie or Pixel....:mad:

:rolleyes: :p

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 55
- 7/24/2003 7:19:18 PM   
Losqualo

[B]M4 Jess is NOT talking to Ken, Bernie or Pixel....:mad:

:rolleyes: :p [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe it would be easier for you if you just list the guys to whom you are still talking...:p

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 56
- 7/24/2003 7:28:26 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Jess shouldn't be talking to anyone, he is not designing fast enough, hence testers are getting up in the morning and not rushing to test hehe :)

[SIZE=4]Snap to it soldier![/SIZE]

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI