Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/17/2020 6:54:04 PM   
rader

Burma.

This seems to be the bleeding open wound of Japan - the only place you share an irrevocable land border with the Allies, albeit one that's a bit difficult to use due to supply movement.

In the short run, I think it's important for Japan to hold it. In the long run, it seems to me a trap that risks having a big army cut off and a commitment that keeps your units tied up.

I think my plan is to hold the key Mandalay region until sometime in mid to late 1943. I can defend this clear area, and with strong artillery and reserves available (plus achievable air parity at least), I can probably defeat any Allied move here. But sometime around late 1943, I will probably voluntarily cede Burma to the Allies to conserve my forces for action elsewhere.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 31
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/18/2020 1:43:50 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

1.  Production and distribution occurs in the housekeeping pulse which follows the combat.

2.  The kamikaze mission does not increase an aircraft's range.

Alfred

Wow thanks Alfred! So if I understand correctly, production occurs immediately before distribution, so the answer is effectively #1 and there is no way to prevent the Chinese LCUs from receiving their intrinsic supply by bombing. Thus I'm probably dropping a lot of ordnance on nothing

Not nothing, you are lowering morale. keeping the units from recovering … it helps a lot

My experience is that there are diminishing returns though … something to consider …

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 4/18/2020 1:44:30 PM >

Pax

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 32
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/18/2020 5:06:25 PM   
rader

How is it lowering morale if I'm just bombing the airfield? Should I switch to bombing some ground troops too?

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 33
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/18/2020 5:11:13 PM   
rader

Am I correct in assuming that there is no disadvantage to overloading my carriers a bit as long as I'm below 115%?

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 34
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/18/2020 5:47:59 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

1.  Production and distribution occurs in the housekeeping pulse which follows the combat.

Alfred

Wow thanks Alfred! So if I understand correctly, production occurs immediately before distribution, so the answer is effectively #1 and there is no way to prevent the Chinese LCUs from receiving their intrinsic supply by bombing. Thus I'm probably dropping a lot of ordnance on nothing

As others have said, make sure you keep the airfields damaged. Not only will you get some supply hits, but engineers will preferentially repair the airfield versus rebuilding forts. After you / when you drop forts down from 6 to 5, you sure don't want to see them go back up again!

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 35
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/18/2020 6:13:34 PM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Alfred

As others have said, make sure you keep the airfields damaged. Not only will you get some supply hits, but engineers will preferentially repair the airfield versus rebuilding forts. After you / when you drop forts down from 6 to 5, you sure don't want to see them go back up again!

Well, yeah but they are currently at 6 and with his obvious supply problems I doubt he's tried to go higher than that. I'm still bombing his airfields for supply but pretty sure it isn't doing anything because he doesn't have any (except intrinsic which is being distributed before I can get to it).

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 36
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/18/2020 7:01:40 PM   
RangerJoe

Are you bombing his troops as well? That would also increase fatigue and disruption along with the bombardments. Eventually you should win with enough force, time, and patience.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 37
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/18/2020 11:26:21 PM   
rader

July 2, 1942.

A nice DD raid near the West Coast, within 1000 miles of San Francisco. Unfortunately, these tankers were empty, returning from the South Pacific.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 38
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/19/2020 5:58:54 PM   
rader

July 3, 1942. The fall of Chengtu.

Chungking won't be so easy...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 39
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/19/2020 6:12:41 PM   
RangerJoe

If you press "W" it would show hexside control to help understand the map and control of the hexes.

― Julia Child

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 40
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/21/2020 5:20:49 PM   
rader

July 7, 1942. The Solomons.

Allied paratroopers and APDs have landed at Kirakira and at Guadalcanal.

I've been trying to avoid fighting in the Solomons because they seem like a distraction too far from Japan and the SRA. But looks like the Allies might be trying to manufacture a Guadalcanal-style attritional campaign here. I'm reinforcing the Rabaul area and will commit the fleet if I can inflict disproportionate losses but ultimately I don't think it will be worth stripping garrisons from more important regions in order to defend these islands. Thus, we might see a somewhat historical Allied effort to isolate or take Rabaul in the coming months.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 41
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/21/2020 6:23:30 PM   
rader

Anyone know how I get the Combined 8th CD unit?

I've tried looking at any SNLF units called anything like "8th", but can't seem to find any that combine or upgrade to make this unit. Tracker says it never arrives but is available.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 42
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/21/2020 7:29:18 PM   
rader

The walls are closing on Chungking, the last major Chinese base.

He's got an incredible ~14K AV defending, but they've got to be low on supplies and we're bombing every day.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 43
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/22/2020 2:31:14 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I've tried looking at any SNLF units called anything like "8th", but can't seem to find any that combine or upgrade to make this unit. Tracker says it never arrives but is available.

It is probably a unit that doesn't go into the queue until a certain trigger makes it a reinforcement, like the invasion of the Japanese Home Islands. They give it an impossible arrival delay to make sure it doesn't show up if the trigger does not occur.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 44
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/22/2020 6:05:01 AM   
jdsrae

quote:

The Kure 6th and Yokosuka 7th are sub units.
They both arrive on day 348.

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 45
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/22/2020 1:57:03 PM   
Lowpe

Good luck in your game!

I have advocated using Pete's as night CAP, they disrupt the bombing but don't die in droves like fighters. You of course need AA, make sure it has searchlights and plenty of radars present. Later on Dinah fighters can do good work at disrupting night time bombing runs, I always make a squadron or two and break them down into thirds for night time duty.

Taking Chungking without stacking limits. Move as much heavy artillery there as you can, bombard with only them each day, especially after they have fortified to level 1, plus daily aerial bombings. Take hexside control, and if you also send the 1st and 2nd Tank Divisions there you will be able to take the city in 5-7 attacks resting 5 days or so between attacks. I did it to Wargamr, he pretty much sir robin'd most of China into Chungking. Try to prevent aerial resupply, too.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 46
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/22/2020 2:32:07 PM   
GetAssista

Chungking is mixed bag of emotions for Japan. You will go through several extremely bloody assaults, where Chinese AV stays strong with no signs of wavering (thanks to respawns). And then suddenly everything folds in a couple more battles, as supplies are zeroed and morale/disruption hit lows. All your tanks and most arty should be there, no other productive uses for them in late 42 or early 43 unless Allies blunder onto some major operation this early.
Also, look on the experience gains for your units and rejoice :) CK is the best training there is in the game

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 47
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/22/2020 4:20:24 PM   
castor troy

quote:

He's got an incredible ~14K AV defending, but they've got to be low on supplies and we're bombing every day.

not sure how you would ever take this base against 14k enemy av. If you want to look at my AAR, I took Chungking and the rest of China and had massive probs to take the base with my 10k Army vs just something like 2-2,5k of Chinese in total over the course of the battle there. And yes, I was using 500 IJA medium bombers for a year in China and the Chinese were out of supply everywhere. No idea how you would take the base against this stack. I would just place 2500 av there and block the base forever, the enemy can't force you to retreat but you also won't be able to take the base IMO.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 48
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/22/2020 4:52:00 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

Chungking is mixed bag of emotions for Japan. You will go through several extremely bloody assaults, where Chinese AV stays strong with no signs of wavering (thanks to respawns). And then suddenly everything folds in a couple more battles, as supplies are zeroed and morale/disruption hit lows. All your tanks and most arty should be there, no other productive uses for them in late 42 or early 43 unless Allies blunder onto some major operation this early.
Also, look on the experience gains for your units and rejoice :) CK is the best training there is in the game

You can also buy out the trashed units a lot cheaper.

― Julia Child

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 49
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/22/2020 6:51:06 PM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

quote:

quote:

Ah - thank you!!

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 50
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/22/2020 6:52:22 PM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Good luck in your game!

I have advocated using Pete's as night CAP, they disrupt the bombing but don't die in droves like fighters. You of course need AA, make sure it has searchlights and plenty of radars present. Later on Dinah fighters can do good work at disrupting night time bombing runs, I always make a squadron or two and break them down into thirds for night time duty.

Taking Chungking without stacking limits. Move as much heavy artillery there as you can, bombard with only them each day, especially after they have fortified to level 1, plus daily aerial bombings. Take hexside control, and if you also send the 1st and 2nd Tank Divisions there you will be able to take the city in 5-7 attacks resting 5 days or so between attacks. I did it to Wargamr, he pretty much sir robin'd most of China into Chungking. Try to prevent aerial resupply, too.

Petes for disruption are a good idea if they don't die so much. I've been losing good pilots in Nicks at night which don't seem to make a dent but still die.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 51
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/22/2020 6:56:29 PM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

not sure how you would ever take this base against 14k enemy av. If you want to look at my AAR, I took Chungking and the rest of China and had massive probs to take the base with my 10k Army vs just something like 2-2,5k of Chinese in total over the course of the battle there. And yes, I was using 500 IJA medium bombers for a year in China and the Chinese were out of supply everywhere. No idea how you would take the base against this stack. I would just place 2500 av there and block the base forever, the enemy can't force you to retreat but you also won't be able to take the base IMO.

Hmm, is this true? I figured the first few assaults are purely to drop forts at extremely heavy cost. Once the forts are below 3, artillery and air will start to grind him down so he will no longer have such a devastatingly strong stack.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 52
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/22/2020 6:57:20 PM   
rader

quote:

Good luck in your game!

Encircled pretty much Sir Robined to Chungking too...

How much AV did China have in Chungking for the first assault Lowpe? How much did you have?

< Message edited by rader -- 4/22/2020 6:59:11 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 53
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/22/2020 7:40:42 PM   
Andav

In my game with witpqs (DBB so basically scenario 1), the first assault was across the river. I am pretty sure witpqs retreated most of his forces into the mountains on the Burma side. I had bombed since August while blocking hexsides and such before the first attacks.

000202 Ground combat 1942-12-07 Chungking 76,45

Ground combat at Chungking (76,45)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 49269 troops, 619 guns, 1019 vehicles, Assault Value = 1449

Defending force 146121 troops, 140 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 4577

Japanese adjusted assault: 201

Allied adjusted defense: 10203

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 50 (fort level 6)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

If fell April 15th after 5 or 6 attacks. Lots of IJA Artillery and all the tanks in China.

000033 Ground combat 1943-04-15 Chungking 76,45

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 204003 troops, 2147 guns, 1400 vehicles, Assault Value = 6152

Defending force 215647 troops, 29 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2914

Japanese adjusted assault: 2129

Allied adjusted defense: 473

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Chungking !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
20997 casualties reported
Squads: 338 destroyed, 1391 disabled
Non Combat: 28 destroyed, 195 disabled
Engineers: 64 destroyed, 142 disabled
Guns lost 213 (22 destroyed, 191 disabled)
Vehicles lost 79 (14 destroyed, 65 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
217803 casualties reported
Squads: 4288 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 13868 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 29 (29 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 113

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 54
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/23/2020 2:12:52 AM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andav

In my game with witpqs (DBB so basically scenario 1), the first assault was across the river. I am pretty sure witpqs retreated most of his forces into the mountains on the Burma side. I had bombed since August while blocking hexsides and such before the first attacks.

000202 Ground combat 1942-12-07 Chungking 76,45

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 49269 troops, 619 guns, 1019 vehicles, Assault Value = 1449

Defending force 146121 troops, 140 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 4577

Japanese adjusted assault: 201

Allied adjusted defense: 10203

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 50 (fort level 6)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

If fell April 15th after 5 or 6 attacks. Lots of IJA Artillery and all the tanks in China.

000033 Ground combat 1943-04-15 Chungking 76,45

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 204003 troops, 2147 guns, 1400 vehicles, Assault Value = 6152

Defending force 215647 troops, 29 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2914

Japanese adjusted assault: 2129

Allied adjusted defense: 473

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Chungking !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
20997 casualties reported
Squads: 338 destroyed, 1391 disabled
Non Combat: 28 destroyed, 195 disabled
Engineers: 64 destroyed, 142 disabled
Guns lost 213 (22 destroyed, 191 disabled)
Vehicles lost 79 (14 destroyed, 65 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
217803 casualties reported
Squads: 4288 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 13868 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 29 (29 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 113

Boy that's really not a lot of Chinese forces he left defending Chungking, all things considered. Did the exiles come back to bite you once reconstituted in India?

(in reply to Andav)
Post #: 55
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/23/2020 11:01:53 AM   
Andav

So far, I have only seen one Chinese unit in Burma. It is one of those nasty 950 AV ones. The rest were pretty beat up by the time they arrived. It will take him a bit of management to get them filled back out at 200 squads per month. We are only in Oct 1943 so there is plenty of time for them to grow teeth.

Wa

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 56
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/23/2020 12:06:03 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

Good luck in your game!

Petes for disruption are a good idea if they don't die so much. I've been losing good pilots in Nicks at night which don't seem to make a dent but still die.

Pete and Dinah lack the rate of climb to normally engage the night bombers, so they show up, but almost never engage hence no losses.

In looking back in my game against Wargamr I laid siege to Chungking in August, and the first attack was near the end of Nov, and it fell quite quickly. The vast majority of the Chinese Army was there.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 4/23/2020 12:19:46 PM >

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 57
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/23/2020 12:27:00 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

How is it lowering morale if I'm just bombing the airfield? Should I switch to bombing some ground troops too?

Bombing airfields quite often results in casualties to LCUs in the hex.

Bombing the troops is a guarantee they are on the receiving end, so yes, its a better choice if your goal is to keep morale suppressed, fatigue high and stifle recovery of disruption and disablements.

Even better is bombing both the airfield and the troops.
The troops for the reasons stated above and the airfield for the purposes of preventing fort building and destroying supplies.

Hans

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 58
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/24/2020 1:34:56 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

Hmm, is this true? I figured the first few assaults are purely to drop forts at extremely heavy cost. Once the forts are below 3, artillery and air will start to grind him down so he will no longer have such a devastatingly strong stack.

Yes.

Against the AI, I have had much more than 10K AV in CK that I have had to reduce. Bombing, ARTY, and Armor are your friends. Yes, the first few attacks are horrible as in Ironman CK has Level 9 forts. The key is to be sure your units have no (zero) disablements so that all of your casualties are disablements and not losses. The point units will go from 400AV to 3AV, literally. But, move them out to Neikiang to recover; in a couple of weeks they will be ready to return to the fray. Well maybe a few weeks time.

Pax

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 59
RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) - 4/24/2020 1:45:45 AM   
RangerJoe

Think of Verdun.

― Julia Child

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Pacific War 3.0 (No Encircled please!) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI