Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 4/28/2020 5:02:36 AM   
scondon87

First time PBEM, first time seriously playing Japan. I've played against the AI exclusively so far, so obviously this will be a challenge - not just in playing against another person, who is likely far more devious and cunning than AI scripts, but also dealing with the Japanese economy (which has been my biggest worry about diving into the other side).

We're playing stock Scenario 1

Settings
- Fog of War: ON
- Advanced Weather: ON
- Allied Damage Control: ON
- PDU: ON
- Historical First Turn: ON
- Dec 7 Surprise: ON
- Reliable USN Torps: OFF
- Realistic R&D: ON
- No Unit Withdrawals: OFF
- Reinforcements: +/- 15 days
- Auto Sub Ops: OFF
- Set all facilities to expand: OFF
- Auto Upgrade ships and air: OFF
- Accept Air and Ground replacements: OFF
- Turn cycle: 1

House Rules
- No day 2 PH strike
- No carrier hunting until 12/9/41
- Must pay PP before crossing national borders
- Permanently restricted units may not cross national borders at all
- Thai units may only operate within 3 hexes of Thailand
- AVG must remain in Burma/China until withdrawal
- In any given hex, a maximum of two units may bombard on any given turn
- Japan is not allowed to enter the Strait of Malacca until Singapore falls
- No airdropping fragments to cut supply lines (need to do a full-scale paradrop in this situation)
- No 4EB naval attacks below 10k
- To airdrop on a base, the unit must have at least 40 prep for the target
- Not a house rule per se, but night bombing is not to be excessive until 1/1/44

As one new to PBEM, this feels like a lot of HRs, but I see most of them are listed here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2609058 I didn't really push back on any of them; they seem to address potential issues. If they are too much, we can always discuss later. The only rule that seemed really weird is the 2 units bombarding per turn rule (though it is listed in the link above), but I'll see how that goes.

I'm beginning planning the first turn, so I still need to form plans on the economy and the conquest goals for the war.
Post #: 1
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 4/28/2020 10:59:28 AM   
inqistor

With Historical First Turn you can have some serious loses in BETTY squadrons. On the other hand, Force Z is probably a goner.

You have lots of exposed small amphibious forces now. Tarawa, Wake, Miri, Rabaul, and Mindanao IIRC. Your enemy knows that, so expect his TFs to show up there immediately.

(in reply to scondon87)
Post #: 2
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 4/28/2020 11:38:10 AM   
Yaab

scondon87, seems you can bomb industry in China.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 3
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 4/28/2020 12:04:35 PM   
RangerJoe

Bomb the industry in China, especially the first turn since the fighters will only be Chinese ones, if that.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 4
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/1/2020 4:14:37 PM   
Bif1961

Good luck on your first foray into PBEM as the Japanese.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/1/2020 4:18:31 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

Good luck on your first foray into PBEM as the Japanese.

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 6
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/2/2020 5:00:05 PM   
scondon87

Thanks for the well-wishes all! I am kind of terrified of the economy, but have been consulting Mike Solli's Japan AAR from like a decade ago at this point. (hard to believe it's been that long!)

So, this felt like a really bad historical turn 1, though as I think about it more, Force Z is what I'm really concerned about.

Pearl Harbor:
1 BB sunk outright, 4-5 hit hard, the rest light-medium damage. I got a midget hit on West Virginia prior to the strike, and that's one of the hard-hit ones (heavy fires, heavy damage). This is fine; well within the normal parameters of a PH strike. We have a HR against a day 2 strike, so the KB will head back towards the DEI (currently towards Truk, but might loop it north via the Marianas to allow it to cover the Wake invasion). There's a HR against carrier hunting this turn - I'm not looking for his carriers, and have a path to avoid the starting locations of Lexington & Enterprise, but the squadrons are set for naval strike - if we happen to run into them, it would be a beautiful thing.

Force Z:
I've never seen this. No torpedo hits on Force Z on 12/7. Bombers didn't fly at all in the AM phase. In the PM phase, they found them, but lost a bunch of bombers for no torpedo hits! So, I'm going to have to cautious in the DEI (compounding my apprehension about staying on schedule as Japan). As an aside, I'm not sure I've ever played a historical turn 1 as the Allies where Force Z avoided any hits. I've seen just one or two torpedoes hitting, which still at least puts one of the heavies in the yards for a couple months, taking it out of the initial DEI ops. No hits means I need to screen the Malaya landings with the 2 BBs that start there, and need to get the 6 BBs from Japan out here ASAP, which practically means my forces in the area are on their own until late December.

Everything else is basically normal for turn 1.

Initial moves to deal with Force Z are to move the cover forces for Malaya a couple hexes south of Kota Bharu and to use a bunch of the subs that start in the area to cover the Malaya coastlines south of Kota. Hopefully we get a sub hit or multiple SC TF interception if they come for the beaches. I'll get LRCAP on those groups - I think it's generally too far for aerial torpedo strikes, but you never know! The Betties & Nells will try to redeem themselves if Force Z does happen to come north, though my suspicion is that he will pull them back and enjoy his luck. An inauspicious beginning to this thing!

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 7
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/2/2020 7:13:09 PM   
scondon87

As this is a PDU on game, I'm trying to concentrate research & production in single airframes per role for the time frame. Still mulling this over, but this is what I'm thinking for fighter path:

IJAAF: Oscar > Tony > Frank > Ki-94-II
IJNAF: Zero > George > Sam/George

So that involves cutting Tojos & Jacks from both R&D & Production, which will hopefully help streamline it.

Interested in any recommendations on bombers & night fighters. All the CV lines will have at least some R&D, as that will influence the mobile defense of the Pacific.

I'm planning on building out airframes that use obsolete engines just to use them up (will be useful training airframes):
Hitachi (early) > Ida
Hitachi Amakaze > Glen
Kawasaki (early) > Mary (once Idas finish, might switch those factories to Mary, otherwise would switch them to modernish IJAAF 2EBs)
Mitsubishi Ha-31 > Just used for Dinah II & Sonia; Dinah II will be needed, Sonias probably should be phased out
Nakajima Ha-5 > Used for Ib Sally & Ann, currently no airframe factories for these, might use the factory currently on Ida to use up engines, otherwise would just treat the engines on hand as a sunk cost
Nakajima Hikari > N1 Kates until the engines are gone, then switch to N2
Nakajima Kotobuki > Nates until the engines are gone

I'm planning on a historical expansion if I can manage it. If he just pulls everything back and doesn't contest the initial expansion, I'll have to decide if further exploitation is worth it. I don't plan on going all in on China. I've read plenty of AARs where the empire conquers China, but I'm not sure it's worth the supply expenditure.

(in reply to scondon87)
Post #: 8
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/3/2020 2:23:13 AM   
scondon87

Just sent the turn off, it begins.

(in reply to scondon87)
Post #: 9
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/3/2020 3:00:52 AM   
RangerJoe

I think that it is worth the supply expenditure to conquer China for both the resources and to release the units. But if you plan on conquering China, push the Chinese units out of the way, surround them and then move into the he from every possible hexside so the Chinese can't leave. Destroy the units only after taking the TWO bases where they Chinese units come back.

I think that the Ha-5 can be used for a transport plane.

For the Judy and if you research the Tony at all,once the factories are repaired, skip through the first models until you come to the model that you want that uses a common engine. The Tony Ki-100 uses a common engine and has a SR of 1 which you need fighters like that. You could do the same for the Jill as well. That releases those engine factories for the later aircraft, you need to have those engines in production when your research ends.

― Julia Child

(in reply to scondon87)
Post #: 10
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/3/2020 7:56:14 PM   
scondon87

That's a good point, in terms of keeping the Chinese army from respawning.

The Ha-5 can be used for the Topsy I; I'll be building those until I run out of engines (I have 99 in the pool on turn 2).

That's a really good point. I thought it had to be in its last month of R&D to move it up the chain, but if the rule is actually the factories have to be fully repaired, that gives a ton of flexibility in terms of speeding up research.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 11
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/3/2020 10:14:49 PM   
inqistor

TOPSY will advance into second model with different engine, before your Ha-5 runs out.

(in reply to scondon87)
Post #: 12
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/3/2020 10:32:29 PM   
RangerJoe

Yes but set the Topsy I to not upgrade, when the engines run out, then set it to upgrade.

― Julia Child

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 13
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/5/2020 2:42:07 PM   
Bif1961

You didn't mention what else was sunk or damaged at PH. If you fared well with damaging and sinking the good CLs there and some DDs that will increase your advantage as early war ASW platforms are few and far between for the Americans and everything that has DCs being damaged and sunk early will be beneficial. In my currant game as the Japanese TF-Z avoided destruction early on but got dinged up in a later fight and one or both may have been sunk, darn FoW, and at least have pulled off the map to repair. You have a nice amount of subs in DEI to try to restrict his movements as he seeks to do the same with his subs. If I were him I would pull TF-Z to Batavia to consolidate an RN fleet to counter any early landing at Palmebang to seize the oilfields.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 14
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/5/2020 3:01:12 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

You didn't mention what else was sunk or damaged at PH. If you fared well with damaging and sinking the good CLs there and some DDs that will increase your advantage as early war ASW platforms are few and far between for the Americans and everything that has DCs being damaged and sunk early will be beneficial. In my currant game as the Japanese TF-Z avoided destruction early on but got dinged up in a later fight and one or both may have been sunk, darn FoW, and at least have pulled off the map to repair. You have a nice amount of subs in DEI to try to restrict his movements as he seeks to do the same with his subs. If I were him I would pull TF-Z to Batavia to consolidate an RN fleet to counter any early landing at Palmebang to seize the oilfields.

^This

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 15
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/6/2020 6:35:43 PM   
scondon87

That's good point, here's the CR for PH:
quote:

Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 101 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 33 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 68
B5N2 Kate x 144
D3A1 Val x 126

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 7 damaged
A6M2 Zero: 14 destroyed by flak
B5N2 Kate: 12 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 3 destroyed by flak
D3A1 Val: 7 damaged
D3A1 Val: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
B-18A Bolo: 37 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 7 destroyed on ground
B-17D Fortress: 20 damaged
B-17D Fortress: 3 destroyed on ground
PBY-5 Catalina: 147 damaged
PBY-5 Catalina: 10 destroyed on ground
SBD-1 Dauntless: 23 damaged
SBD-1 Dauntless: 5 destroyed on ground
B-17E Fortress: 20 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 1 destroyed on ground
P-40B Warhawk: 39 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 11 destroyed on ground
A-20A Havoc: 26 damaged
A-20A Havoc: 2 destroyed on ground
F4F-3 Wildcat: 9 damaged
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed on ground
P-36A Mohawk: 40 damaged
P-36A Mohawk: 3 destroyed on ground
R3D-2: 1 destroyed on ground
C-33: 1 damaged
C-33: 1 destroyed on ground
O-47A: 10 damaged
O-47A: 1 destroyed on ground
SOC-1 Seagull: 1 destroyed
OS2U-3 Kingfisher: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 5, and is sunk
BB California, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 3, on fire
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 4, on fire
DD Bagley, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AVP Swan, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Tucker, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 10, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DM Breese, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Raleigh, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Conyngham, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AV Wright, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Monaghan, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Detroit, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
CL Honolulu, Bomb hits 4, on fire
DD Patterson, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Litchfield, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
CL St. Louis, Torpedo hits 1
DD Jarvis, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1
AD Rigel, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Aylwin, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DMS Trevor, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AD Whitney, Bomb hits 1
CL Helena, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DMS Perry, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
AV Tangier, Torpedo hits 1
SS Cachalot, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
DM Pruitt, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 33
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 103

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
Port Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
27 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb
7 x A6M2 Zero bombing from 100 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb
12 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
26 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
4 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 15000 feet
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
16 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 15000 feet
8 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
17 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
6 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
Airfield Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb
7 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb
8 x A6M2 Zero bombing from 100 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb
8 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
9 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
7 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
6 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
9 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
5 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
11 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
12 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'

< Message edited by scondon87 -- 5/6/2020 6:36:08 PM >

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 16
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/6/2020 6:43:11 PM   
scondon87

quote:

In my currant game as the Japanese TF-Z avoided destruction early on but got dinged up in a later fight and one or both may have been sunk, darn FoW, and at least have pulled off the map to repair. You have a nice amount of subs in DEI to try to restrict his movements as he seeks to do the same with his subs. If I were him I would pull TF-Z to Batavia to consolidate an RN fleet to counter any early landing at Palmebang to seize the oilfields.

Were I in his shoes, I'd likely pull Force Z back to strengthen it, and use it against Jaqanese operations in the Singapore-Palembang-Singawang area, However, he could try to hit the invasion beaches in Malaya, which I think would really hurt, which is why I'm trying to screen against that with every asset I have in the area. I think that would cost him the heavies, but it might be worth it for him if he can blast my invasion TFs. After all, by the end, he'll have effectively unlimited units.

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 17
RE: scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) - 5/6/2020 7:16:39 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I personally would try to keep PoW for later, as it is a good carrier escort. The starting AA pack sucks big, but eventually it will get very nice AA guns via upgrades

and I would use Repulse more aggressively, as it is more disposable; still would keep it out of LBA range

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 5/6/2020 11:38:06 PM >

(in reply to scondon87)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> scondon87 (J) v. cartman101 (A) (No cartman101 please) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI