Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Returning Player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Returning Player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Returning Player - 5/7/2020 12:42:28 PM   
David Hansen

Haven't played in the last 60 days or so. With the new patches in place... as an Axis player vs. Allied AI in the 1939 start...do I need to give the AI some buffs up front...or is game pretty well balanced? I consider myself as an "average+" player.
Post #: 1
RE: Returning Player - 5/7/2020 1:39:22 PM   
Markiss

I guess it depends on what you want to get out of it. If you are looking to get practice for PBEM play, I would suggest customizing the difficulty by ramping up the AI's income to max, but leaving the spotting and experience bonuses alone. Giving the AI extra spotting and experience changes the tactics you would use against the AI vs a human player, making it of limited use for PBEM practice.

If you just want the hardest game possible from the AI, set the difficulty to hard, and it will get all of the bonuses. But I will warn you, rooting out entrenched enemy units that have a +2 experience bonus on you is very difficult, especially early in the game. You have to bring many more units than normal, and it will take longer than normal to remove them. That is why playing this sort of game is no good for practice for play against humans, it teaches you bad habits.

The AI is very good tactically, but does not have strategic imagination. You don't need to guard against amphibious landings in unusual places, you won't see them.

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..

(in reply to David Hansen)
Post #: 2
RE: Returning Player - 5/7/2020 3:49:22 PM   
Elessar2

Not quite true (that last bit). There's been a script that's been around since 2 game versions ago, where the Russian AI will try to sneak a unit into Rumania, hoping that all garrisons there have been relocated elsewhere. There's a few other odd ones here and there, but if you have read all the scripts you know where/when it will, and won't, attempt an invasion.

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 3
RE: Returning Player - 5/7/2020 7:13:31 PM   
David Hansen

Thanks!

If I use the soft build option as the Axis...does this put the AI (allies) at a "strategic disadvantage"...or does the AI make good use of this option themselves?

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 4
RE: Returning Player - 5/7/2020 7:52:59 PM   
Markiss

Giving the AI unlimited money combined with unlimited units to buy, is, in my experience, bad. The AI will do strange things with this situation, at least as of the last time I played it. I remember seeing about 20 German tanks, just in my field of view, across from the Soviets at one point, and hardly any other unit types to be seen. The tanks get super expensive after the first few over the limit, but the AI does not seem to recognize this, and just keeps buying tanks for as long as they are available to be bought, which is forever with soft limits.

Who knows what the AI would choose to buy as Allies, but whatever it saw as its priority, it would likely buy to great excess.

You probably don't want to do it, unless you just want to push the AI to the limit to see what happened.

If someone has a more recent experience, share it with us. It is possible this has been dealt with.

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..

(in reply to David Hansen)
Post #: 5
RE: Returning Player - 5/8/2020 2:13:45 PM   
David Hansen

Markiss-thanks for your insights.

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Returning Player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI