Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein is available on Steam

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein is available on Steam Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein is available on Steam - 5/7/2020 12:54:10 PM   
Daniele

The Battle of the Bulge or Hitler's last gambit is the bloodiest battle fought by American soldiers in WWII. If it had succeeded, it would have led to the destruction of 4 Allied armies and, possibly, a separate peace with Germany. Wehrmacht codenamed it Wacht am Rhein.

Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein, originally released in 2011, is landed on Steam! This version benefits of many improvements and changes made specifically for this release, including new setting available for HD resolutions.

Revive the battle the could have changed World War II.

To celebrate this important event, we are running a promo on most of the Close Combat Catalogue at 30%! Check it out!

Important note for Matrix users. Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein Matrix version will need to be uninstalled and installed again to get the improvements working.

Post #: 1
RE: Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein is available on Steam - 5/7/2020 2:34:26 PM   
SchnelleMeyer

Nice with an updated Steam version: But a couple of questions regarding this news:

Where can I find the release notes listing the stated improvements and changes ?

What bug fixes has been done in this release?

What exactly do you mean by this: "Important note for Matrix users. Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein Matrix version will need to be uninstalled and installed again to get the improvements working."
Do I have to re-download the Matrix game to benefit from the improvements in the Steam version? - Couldnt the updates be released a patch for the Matrix version?

There are several unanswered modding questions in the different CC forums, there seems to be a change in responsiveness from developers compared to earlier. Do Matrix as a developer still support the modding community for WAR/TLD/LSA/PITF/GTC?

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 2
RE: Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein is available on Steam - 5/7/2020 3:24:12 PM   
Tejszd

Glad to hear that there is an update!

Would love to see the release notes too. My assumption without them is that this patch/update provides the same functionality as the LSA v6.0 update w/o other fixes.

I'm okay downloading and reinstalling, if needed, but is the updated version only available from/on Steam?

Edit:

Checked my registered games and there are two new files dated today. The game installer is a newer version #.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tejszd -- 5/7/2020 5:09:35 PM >

(in reply to SchnelleMeyer)
Post #: 3
RE: Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein is available on Steam - 5/7/2020 4:41:37 PM   
Tejszd

The Manual from May 07, 2020 doesn't seem to contain any changes.

The Installer v4.50.20 from May 07, 2020 is much smaller (523MB) vs the original (890MB). Better compression? Direct-X removed?

< Message edited by Tejszd -- 5/7/2020 5:10:57 PM >

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 4
RE: Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein is available on Steam - 5/7/2020 6:01:22 PM   
Tejszd

It installed fine and now includes the same options as LSA under Options/General;
- Framed Window
- Use DPI
- Scale Front End
- Scale UI
- lock Mouse

I assume the scaling is still fixed at 1.5 like LSA. This definitely helps on my 1920x1200 though I would prefer 2x to not blur images. Edit: the 1.5x is for the front end, the UI in battle 2x.

For those of you with higher resolution monitors (ex. 1140P or 4K), do you use the Windows DPI setting for Windows, other apps and LSA to make things readable? Just asking as most new monitor purchases in the future would be 1440P (2560 x 1440) or 4K (3840 x 2160)....

For those have tried the Use DPI settings; I assume everything is scaled up so including the map/soldiers/vehicles/etc. in addition to the UI? The downside, since this is being set in Windows, is that Windows itself along with all other apps are increased in size....

< Message edited by Tejszd -- 5/8/2020 3:13:08 AM >

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 5
RE: Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein is available on Steam - 5/7/2020 8:33:49 PM   
SteveMcClaire

The update to WaR is primarily to get it running correctly on modern Windows 10 systems, as you noted. There have been a few minor bug fixes but no major changes to game play.

The new installer is smaller as CC WaR no longer contains the CC4 'classic' assets. They were removed to comply with contractual issues regarding sales of CC4.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 6
RE: Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein is available on Steam - 5/7/2020 8:46:27 PM   
Tejszd

Thanks for the reply Steve!

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 7
RE: Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein is available on Steam - 5/9/2020 3:41:05 PM   
scaz

Runs great now on my Windows 10 system. My hope is that Cross of Iron and Longest Day are also going to be updated to do the same. These classics still have a lot of play left in them!

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Close Combat - Wacht am Rhein is available on Steam Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI