Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

rule obscurity

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> rule obscurity Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
rule obscurity - 7/25/2003 9:18:08 PM   
Wynter

Gentlemen,

We've run, in our Ajaccio PBEM game, into another rule obscurity, this one concerning call to allies.

Here's the situation.
- Britain and Spain declare war on Turkey.
- Turkey (defender) calls his ally Austria against Spain.
- Austria refuses the call.
- Britain (aggressor) responds by calling Austria against Turkey.
- Austria accepts the call.

This situation seems odd and sparked a discussion. In the end, I had to make a ruling and decided to accept the procedure as outlined above.

Since then I've been thinking on the matter and rereading the rules to find out if I was correct and now I'm quite certain that I was.
IMHO, the error in the whole situation is the 'call against' - thing. Nowhere the rules say you must (or may) call an ally against another nation, you just call an ally. That ally, should he accept the call, decides on which of the aggressors to declare war. Therefore Britain (aggressor) could call an ally because Turkey (defender) called an ally.

What does the rest of the forum think? Is my interpretation of the calling procedure correct?

Jeroen.
Post #: 1
- 7/25/2003 9:57:10 PM   
Treasure

Hi Jeroen,
Your resolution looks good to me.
Defender calls allies (if desired) then Attacker has option of calling allies. There's no reason why they can't call the same Major Power.
Mt

(in reply to Wynter)
Post #: 2
- 7/25/2003 9:59:33 PM   
Supervisor

Yes, this seems quite right. This is the way I have always played this and it is the way I have always understood the rule. If the defender calls an ally, the aggressor can call an ally. The called ally has the right to refuse.

The situation seems like it could have been worked out before hand between Austria and GB, or maybe it was. Maybe Au was like "if Turkey calls me to ally I will refuse and then you can just call me to allies and I will attack with you since I have already lost the 2 pps for breaking the alliance". Maybe Au didn't want to outright goto war with Turkey, but since he was forced (by Turkey) to lose the 2 pps anyways (which is dumb of Turkey to call Au anyways) Au wanted to go to war with Turkey since it is only another 3 to go get some Turkish hide.

(in reply to Wynter)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> rule obscurity Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI