Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Shadow Empire MATRIX VERSION Open Beta >> RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/11/2021 4:55:54 PM   
Vic

@akrakorn,
In the Dev notes on SE_Data library (also included in Manuals directory) there is also a table of all "hisvars" that are used to store the effects of stratagems.

exe(203, HISID, HISVAR ID, VALUE,0)

best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Pymous)
Post #: 841
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/11/2021 4:56:45 PM   
Vic

@Pymous,

Thanks!
And I already requested that subforum, but it might take a few days.

best,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 842
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/12/2021 1:58:47 PM   
zgrssd

Some questions on the S&S Editor:
1. When I set a variable, in what scope do I set it?
Is the scope global?
Relative to the Empire I set it in?
Any way to set the variables for the scope not yet covered?

2. The rule that I should tag ID's as relative ("$1$" instead of "1"), does it only apply to logic?
What about Story IDs in the Story Groups Table, should they use the relative ID Format?
What about Story IDs in the story tables, should they use a relative ID?

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 5/12/2021 1:59:52 PM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 843
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/12/2021 4:13:31 PM   
Vic

1. It depends TEMP1, TEMP2 and all story flag instructions are local.
REGKEY. GAMEKEY. and basically any flag is a way to write to a data table.

2. You should only use $ $ encoding in IF or SET logic columns as here the game needs to be told that it concerns an SSID.

best,
Vic

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 844
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/20/2021 3:37:55 PM   
Vic

New open beta. Fixed a number of rare crashes and added some interface improvements.

Thanks for all the feedback once more!

best wishes,
Vic

(in reply to aperfecturkel)
Post #: 845
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/20/2021 5:52:48 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

Nice, the formation type bookmarks will be useful for sure.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 846
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/20/2021 6:53:48 PM   
Jadey

Bad news, Vic, stratagems are borked with 1.09.03 and state "You cannot target yourself" when trying to apply them on other empires.

It seems to only be with covert ops though upon further research. Also the empire icons have applied without requiring a game restart.

< Message edited by Jadey -- 5/20/2021 6:55:55 PM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 847
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/20/2021 7:17:22 PM   
Vic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jadey

Bad news, Vic, stratagems are borked with 1.09.03 and state "You cannot target yourself" when trying to apply them on other empires.

It seems to only be with covert ops though upon further research. Also the empire icons have applied without requiring a game restart.

quote:

You cannot target yourself

thanks for the quick warning!

(in reply to Jadey)
Post #: 848
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/20/2021 7:29:38 PM   
Jadey

Here's a screenshot.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 849
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/20/2021 7:31:29 PM   
Vic

fixed the issue spotted above! 91.03b uploaded

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 850
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/20/2021 7:35:33 PM   
Jadey

quote:

91.03b uploaded

Damn, dude, you are legend. TYSM!

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 851
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/20/2021 7:50:05 PM   
Mazth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

New open beta. Fixed a number of rare crashes and added some interface improvements.

Thanks for all the feedback once more!

best wishes,
Vic

OMG zone pagination; Small numeral step for beta version, giant leap for QoL! Esp for working with a 2nd SHQ
I was so ready to type a ranty post about this.
Can't wait to see how it looks. =D

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 852
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/20/2021 11:18:40 PM   
BlueTemplar

quote:

-Added symbol for type of Regime to the S.MAP regime list and the Stratagem regime target list. Minor ∘. Major ⌾. Human Major ⍟. Alien minor ∞. Rebel ⊷

Yay ! And awesome use of Unicode ! (Where are those symbols initially from ?)

(in reply to Mazth)
Post #: 853
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/22/2021 1:52:03 PM   
Uemon

Vic if its at all humanly possible, can you please find some time to optimize stuff a bit and make the game run a bit faster? As of 2 patches ago it kind of started slowing down mid game for me. To the point where at turn 190 it takes about a full minute and half a for a turn which sort of makes me rage / lose interest unfortunately.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 854
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/22/2021 1:55:47 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uemon

Vic if its at all humanly possible, can you please find some time to optimize stuff a bit and make the game run a bit faster? As of 2 patches ago it kind of started slowing down mid game for me. To the point where at turn 190 it takes about a full minute and half a for a turn which sort of makes me rage / lose interest unfortunately.

???

He has been doing speed increases several times during the beta. He literally just published a new beta with another speed improovement.
You just asked him to do, what he has been doing all the time.

If you want improovments, you have to be a bit more specific then buzzwords like "optimisation".

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 5/22/2021 1:56:37 PM >

(in reply to Uemon)
Post #: 855
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/22/2021 4:13:33 PM   
BlueTemplar

A minute and a half for round 190 is not that bad. What AI settings do you use ?
YMMV depending on the planet settings of course and the overall state of the regimes, their units, the wars that they might be in...
(I know of some games where even mid-game AI turns easily get in the dozens of minutes.)

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 856
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/22/2021 4:27:31 PM   
Uemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

quote:

???

He has been doing speed increases several times during the beta. He literally just published a new beta with another speed improovement.
You just asked him to do, what he has been doing all the time.

If you want improovments, you have to be a bit more specific then buzzwords like "optimisation".

Yes i asked for more because its still not good. I dont know how to make it more specific. Turn times take too long. If i have to wait between 2 turns more than it takes me to play a turn, thats a problem.

This is just my personal opinion, but i would like love to play a version of the game that even lost some features (such as economic depth and simulation, if that is the thing that is so taxing) if it meant turns taking seconds as opposed to minutes.

< Message edited by Uemon -- 5/22/2021 4:33:14 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 857
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/22/2021 4:29:24 PM   
Uemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueTemplar

A minute and a half for round 190 is not that bad. What AI settings do you use ?
YMMV depending on the planet settings of course and the overall state of the regimes, their units, the wars that they might be in...
(I know of some games where even mid-game AI turns easily get in the dozens of minutes.)

Small planet, "Severe stress" (most of the time, but not exclusively) and without "give ai more time to think" (that extends turn times to minutes as much as i would love to use this one).

In practice i mostly end up with 10-20 minor regimes and 5 major ones.

< Message edited by Uemon -- 5/22/2021 4:30:23 PM >

Post #: 858
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/22/2021 5:41:34 PM   
BlueTemplar

Just in case, I suppose that you then have :
PREFS => AI Speed => "NORMAL AI PROCESSING - Level 0"
?

Would playing against a single Major AI be too boring for you ? (Crusoe + Nemesis ?)

I wonder if it can be viable to make the AI even dumber and faster ?

What about a new setting where even Major AI regimes would *completely* ignore logistics ? (Maybe still building those free roads for show ?)
Would that speed the AI enough ?

(in reply to Uemon)
Post #: 859
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/23/2021 5:13:24 AM   
phyroks

quote:

hey, it takes me 24 minutes on turn 79, largest planet and slowest ai speed :/

(in reply to Uemon)
Post #: 860
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/23/2021 5:09:33 PM   
Elver

quote:

If i have to wait between 2 turns more than it takes me to play a turn, thats a problem.

If your only problem is relative time taken rather than absolute, you might as well be playing on much larger planets - turns on big maps will end up taking much longer for you to complete even if processing time is longer. If absolute time for AI turns is an issue, well, nvm.

(1.5m at turn 190 sounds great to me, TBH.)

(in reply to Uemon)
Post #: 861
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/24/2021 12:13:31 AM   
Uemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elver

quote:

If i have to wait between 2 turns more than it takes me to play a turn, thats a problem.

If your only problem is relative time taken rather than absolute, you might as well be playing on much larger planets - turns on big maps will end up taking much longer for you to complete even if processing time is longer. If absolute time for AI turns is an issue, well, nvm.

(1.5m at turn 190 sounds great to me, TBH.)

Im not hardcore enough for that kind of experience. A video game has to have a certain flow in order to work; sitting at a static screen simply interrupts that flow. I get that its ok for some of you, and i respect that, but i also suspect its not ok for a lot of people. In my humble opinion this should be a developmental priority. I would personally not mind playing a "lobotomized" version of the game, if it meant less waiting. But like i said, thats just me.

(in reply to Elver)
Post #: 862
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/24/2021 10:34:14 AM   
BlueTemplar

Personally, I play on the slowest AI speed, but once turn processing starts to take too long, I just alt-tab to reading the manual or these forums...

(But also I don't think that I ever did one of my own turn in less than a quarter of an hour, except for late-game cleanup - if I even bother with continuing to play when I have clearly won.)

Consider also how MP is played for these kinds of games, AFAIK PBEMs are usually configured to be played at the speed of 1 turn per day (per player or not, depending if the turns are simultaneous or sequential), especially for games with more than 2 human players :
http://pbw.spaceempires.net/games/victory (simultaneous)

< Message edited by BlueTemplar -- 5/24/2021 10:36:33 AM >

(in reply to Uemon)
Post #: 863
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/24/2021 2:53:00 PM   
Elver

Aye, I've been playing strategy games that do their MP as PBEM and 1 turn per day for decades now (forex, playing games in the Dominions series), so I'm not daunted by the AI taking a long time to process. As with BlueTemplar, I do something on my second monitor while the game processes, then I switch back and spend 15-30m doing my turn, etc. If I were only taking a minute or two to do my turns it would be irritating to have to wait a long time, but since my own turns are drawn-out affairs it just feels like any other wargame - and I expect a very large amount of the player base is coming in with those sorts of crusty old grognard expectations just because of the publisher/genre.

Post #: 864
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/25/2021 8:20:50 AM   
varangy

quote:

Personally, I play on the slowest AI speed, but once turn processing starts to take too long, I just alt-tab to reading the manual or these forums...

Correct me wrong, but AI speed has nothing to do with how deep it processes the game.

The setting when setting up a planet under difficulty -> give AI more time to think is the option to do that.

The only thing AI speed does it adds time between moves, so you can watch things happen - and does not affect the AI itself in any way. So if you alt-tab anyway, it is useless to set it anything other than the fastest.

Post #: 865
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/25/2021 11:32:42 AM   
Soar_Slitherine

No, the AI speed options are directly related to the AI's performance. The game setup option was added first and the Prefs menu option added later so people can adjust the speed back up if AI processing starts dragging on later in the game.

(in reply to varangy)
Post #: 866
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/25/2021 10:56:49 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: varangy

quote:

Correct me wrong, but AI speed has nothing to do with how deep it processes the game.

The setting when setting up a planet under difficulty -> give AI more time to think is the option to do that.

The only thing AI speed does it adds time between moves, so you can watch things happen - and does not affect the AI itself in any way. So if you alt-tab anyway, it is useless to set it anything other than the fastest.

If you want to see what happened, it is easiest to just look through the history after the turn processing is done.

Those settings are explicitly for how complex the AI routines should be.
I think I once heard that the old Command & Conquer games had a similar thing - the more CPU time was left over after running the game, the more would be spend on the AI routines. So AI performance actually varried based on computer performance.
No idea how precisely it is implemented however.

(in reply to varangy)
Post #: 867
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/26/2021 8:47:45 PM   
BlueTemplar

One cool thing that I heard that some turn-based games do (IIRC GalCiv2 ?), is that some parts of the AI turn are (pre)calculated during the player's turn !

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 868
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/27/2021 10:28:45 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

One cool thing that I heard that some turn-based games do (IIRC GalCiv2 ?), is that some parts of the AI turn are (pre)calculated during the player's turn !

I never heard of such a System being used, not in GalCiv2 or elswhere.
Precalculating generally usefull stuff like the Pathfinding Network is normal, but I doubt pathfinding is a big part of the AI turn.

As other AI's can affect the gamestate before the 3rd through 15th AI player even have their turn, I am not sure how much there could be precalculated. Both in general and in Shadow Empires in particular.

Do you maybe have a keyphrase to google for? The right name means a lot.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 5/27/2021 10:32:54 AM >

Post #: 869
RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) - 5/27/2021 2:19:38 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

Precalculating AI moves would work fine in games with a turn resolution method that involves everyone first planning out their moves and them then being executed simultaneously (WEGO), used by games such as the Dominions or Combat Mission series (or Kriegsspiel, one of the originators of the wargame genre from back in 1824, which relied on an umpire for turn resolution). WEGO is also much better for multiplayer compared to the "IGOUGO" turn resolution method used by Shadow Empire, since it allows everyone to do their turns at the same time rather than stringing out the process and gets rid of certain exploits like loading the savegame multiple times and performing different actions each time to gain more information. Personally, I also prefer it because I think it's a better simulation - armies do not politely take turns acting in real life.

But while it would solve a bunch of design problems, I am pretty sure it's way too late to try to graft a WEGO system onto Shadow Empire. Precalculating AI moves in an IGOUGO system is going to be rather complicated and of comparatively limited use.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 870
Page:   <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Shadow Empire MATRIX VERSION Open Beta >> RE: Open Beta Patch v1.02-beta1 (last update 9 june!) Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI