Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units - 6/10/2020 5:57:16 AM   
apoll

Hi. Having a bit of trouble getting my head around the plethora of HQ units and their subordinate units on the map, as tends to be all mixed up. Trying to get a holistic sense of what unit formations are available at the start of a turn. I have the concept of border outlines helping in that regard but still seems all mixed up and not clear. Any tips on how to sort everything out at the start so the attacks can proceed in an ordered fashion? In some cases when I have an HQ units buried at the bottom of a three unit hex, I move it out behind its subordinates in a clear hex just so I have a better sense of the formations. Is this the sort of thing people would advise? Just to stop it all being overwhelming at the start.

Also, how do you scroll the map around evenly? Can right click and it centres the map in that but it seems jerky and not as good as smooth scrolling. Is this just the way it is?

Thanks,

apoll
Post #: 1
RE: Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units - 6/10/2020 6:27:20 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: apoll

Hi. Having a bit of trouble getting my head around the plethora of HQ units and their subordinate units on the map, as tends to be all mixed up. Trying to get a holistic sense of what unit formations are available at the start of a turn. I have the concept of border outlines helping in that regard but still seems all mixed up and not clear. Any tips on how to sort everything out at the start so the attacks can proceed in an ordered fashion? In some cases when I have an HQ units buried at the bottom of a three unit hex, I move it out behind its subordinates in a clear hex just so I have a better sense of the formations. Is this the sort of thing people would advise? Just to stop it all being overwhelming at the start.

Also, how do you scroll the map around evenly? Can right click and it centres the map in that but it seems jerky and not as good as smooth scrolling. Is this just the way it is?

Thanks,

apoll

Look at the hotkey list particularly those with ctrl-# and shift-Z. You can also turn on (and manually change) the unit identity colours shift-I.

As to scrolling move the mouse to the edge of the screen NOT game window. The only other control I kno about is the scroll speed in preferences, mine's set to 4.

(in reply to apoll)
Post #: 2
RE: Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units - 6/10/2020 9:37:29 AM   
Telemecus

quote:

when I have an HQ units buried at the bottom of a three unit hex, I move it out behind its subordinates in a clear hex just so I have a better sense of the formations.

One downside is that when you do hasty attacks support units will not commit for battle from HQs that have moved.

I tend to use the four arrow keys on the keyboard quite a bit to scroll around. And the ctrl key with + or - to zoom in and out.

Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

(in reply to apoll)
Post #: 3
RE: Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units - 6/10/2020 11:03:29 AM   
apoll

Ok. Tks all. Will try them.

apoll

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 4
RE: Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units - 6/10/2020 12:56:03 PM   
apoll

Ok, that worked much better. Starting to become clearer. I practised in the Road to Kiev. Punched a hole, raced the armour through, and looked like i would easily take Kiev while the slower infantry mopped up the cells left behind. Then the armour stopped. Ran out of fuel! Just short of a river line before Kiev. As I dithered turn after turn trying to air supply the front armour, the defences thickened and it became of crawl forward, with casualties mounting. Air supply was woeful and I failed miserably. Must pay more attention to logistics. And keep a strategic reserve to throw in at the decisive moment. Quite a balance to get the dash forward right without outrunning the supply. Those rail track repair units; i don’t control those? They just do their laboriously slow thing behind the lines repairing the track? Took forever!

Apoll

(in reply to apoll)
Post #: 5
RE: Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units - 6/10/2020 1:54:09 PM   
joelmar

You have a unit called an FBD, you must use it to repair the rail line you choose. Best strategy is to rail your FBD to Rumania and repair rail from there, it saves a lot of time on rail repair.

Maybe it's not instinctive, but usually, the easiest way to take Kiev is to attack Dnepropetrovsk, once you're there, you can choose a weak spot to cross the Dnepr between the 2 cities, and following that operation, Kiev will naturally fall or the Soviets will risk a big pocket. And make sure you get lots of infantry forward ASAP, panzers do the glamour stuff while the infantry do the punching. The less actual fighting the panzers do, the better, that's a key in this game. And that's even truer for operations against river lines, swamps, fortifications more than level 2, cities and urbans

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio

(in reply to apoll)
Post #: 6
RE: Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units - 6/10/2020 4:34:47 PM   
chuckbbq

quote:

Generally, units from different Corps HQ will become intermixed since you tend to attack with what’s available. There’s a small penalty if units from a different Corps HQ attack together. It increases if the units are from a different Army, Army Group, or High Command as you go up the line. IMO the easiest way for a beginner to keep things organized is to try to keep units in the same Armies together, which are easily distinguishable by the unit’s color.

(in reply to apoll)
Post #: 7
RE: Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units - 6/10/2020 4:48:26 PM   
joelmar

quote:

Generally, units from different Corps HQ will become intermixed since you tend to attack with what’s available. There’s a small penalty if units from a different Corps HQ attack together. It increases if the units are from a different Army, Army Group, or High Command as you go up the line. IMO the easiest way for a beginner to keep things organized is to try to keep units in the same Armies together, which are easily distinguishable by the unit’s color.

I always try to figure out how to best position my units so they are at the right place with their comrades in arms when the time comes. I even let go of moves sometimes. Such discipline pays dividends. The trick I use is instead of thinking in divisions, I think in corps when I move units. And when it's not possible, or its really a not to be missed opportunity, there is always the option of using AP to reassign units from corps to corps.

< Message edited by joelmar -- 6/10/2020 4:49:15 PM >

"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio

(in reply to chuckbbq)
Post #: 8
RE: Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units - 6/11/2020 2:12:12 AM   
apoll

Ok. Tks all for the advice. So just to confirm: those rail repair FBD units...I can move and asign tyo fix a bit of rail in a hex? Because they did not seem to have movement points some times. But ok, I will attempt to do that. Makes sense then to attack along major rail corridors when you can and makes tactical sense.

apoll

(in reply to joelmar)
Post #: 9
RE: Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units - 6/11/2020 6:13:22 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

Ok, that worked much better. Starting to become clearer. I practised in the Road to Kiev. Punched a hole, raced the armour through, and looked like i would easily take Kiev while the slower infantry mopped up the cells left behind. Then the armour stopped. Ran out of fuel! Just short of a river line before Kiev. As I dithered turn after turn trying to air supply the front armour, the defences thickened and it became of crawl forward, with casualties mounting. Air supply was woeful and I failed miserably. Must pay more attention to logistics. And keep a strategic reserve to throw in at the decisive moment. Quite a balance to get the dash forward right without outrunning the supply. Those rail track repair units; i don’t control those? They just do their laboriously slow thing behind the lines repairing the track? Took forever!

Apoll

As the others have said about rail repair. FBD can only repair rail connected to an already repaired line that can trace back to a supply source. I've done it myself when you can't see the hex due to units and move to were I think it connects too. Just under the move. Also be careful of repaired rail the is connect back unusable identifiable by three white dots in the green symbol. The later usually happens when partisans destroy a rail hex.

Your the second person in a few days to mention fuel problems when playing any scenario under AGS. I tried it and yes, there seems to be something odd when there never used to be. It seems likely that the new supply rules may be at fault here. These sceanarios were orignally designed under the old supply rules and may need tweacking, but you can edit them I believe but I know not how, don't do that stuff.

One consolation is there's no problem with the other scenarios.

One bonus is it does teach you to appreciate the supply problems that were inherent in WW2 for all sides.

< Message edited by Chris21wen -- 6/13/2020 5:37:05 AM >

(in reply to apoll)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Trouble distinguishing HQ and subordinate units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI