Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Oil supplies going to Germany

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Tech Support >> Oil supplies going to Germany Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Oil supplies going to Germany - 6/20/2020 10:58:14 AM   
DoXiTXxX

Score: 0
When the Axis control Iraq or Persia but have no land connection to those areas, how does the oil get to Germany? shouldn't there be a convoy route that the Allies could intercept?
Post #: 1
RE: Oil supplies going to Germany - 6/20/2020 1:38:38 PM   
Platoonist

Score: 0

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoXiTXxX

When the Axis control Iraq or Persia but have no land connection to those areas, how does the oil get to Germany? shouldn't there be a convoy route that the Allies could intercept?

The Axis would have had to rely on existing ports, pipelines, and terminals in the Palestine/Iraq area which I'm sure the British would have comprehensively trashed prior to their capture.

Then they would have had to rely on Italian merchant shipping to get the oil back to Europe. That would have been somewhat problematic as I believe I have read once that Italy lost something on the order of two-thirds of its tanker fleet the minute it declared war as they were either foreign leased tankers or were stranded outside of the Mediterranean and subsequently captured by the Allies.

Maybe a deal could have been reached with Turkey for shipping the oil overland, but that would have attracted Stalin's ire for sure. I suppose if Germany captures the Caucasus that overland route would open up, although logistically it would have been a difficult road to get oil back to Germany.

But yeah, it does seem odd that Japan gets convoy routes she must protect when she captures resource areas in SE Asia and Indonesia but there isn't one when the Axis capture Iraq/Persia.

(in reply to DoXiTXxX)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Tech Support >> Oil supplies going to Germany Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI