Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 11/16/2020 6:13:09 PM   
Chris0War

To democratic minded to see a lot of merit in this otherwise excellent post.
Yes people can be as tight up as they wish in this cabinet, maybe you will even receive a bonus if your suitability rating is high enough ( really, salary's at 0,02 cred's and bonusses at 100 or even 200 credits )
Grog's are not suited to rule humanity!

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 31
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 11/24/2020 11:57:25 AM   
Synesthesia942

Thank you, this guide is excellent!

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 32
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 11/30/2020 2:45:11 AM   
jimwinsor

Big revision just now, as I noticed Governors no longer seem to use Stratagem cards (their use has been kicked upstairs to various cabinet officials, who now make the die rolls).

< Message edited by jimwinsor -- 11/30/2020 2:57:56 AM >

Streaming as "Grognerd" at https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 33
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 12/3/2020 6:09:46 PM   
jimwinsor

I just put a revised version of this up in the Steam Guide section on Steam, with a few new introductory sections on cabinet formation added.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 34
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 12/8/2020 2:05:07 PM   
Destragon

Very useful guide. I think you can improve it by adding some information about which stat (INT, WAR, CHA) is important for which leader. I don't always have it in my head which of the skills depends on which stat and knowing this is pretty important when assigning artifact bonuses to your leaders.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 35
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 12/8/2020 4:07:27 PM   
jimwinsor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Destragon

Very useful guide. I think you can improve it by adding some information about which stat (INT, WAR, CHA) is important for which leader. I don't always have it in my head which of the skills depends on which stat and knowing this is pretty important when assigning artifact bonuses to your leaders.

Color coded skills now! Although I'm not sure I can replicate this technique on my corresponding Steam guide ...

(in reply to Destragon)
Post #: 36
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 12/8/2020 6:18:36 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimwinsor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Destragon

Color coded skills now! Although I'm not sure I can replicate this technique on my corresponding Steam guide ...

I do not see teh formating help on steam including any Color option. But maybe trying to rely on "meta" information like color to communicate may be a bad idea to begin with?

How about writing the 3 letter Stat indetifier in front of each Skill? Might be more verbose, but it would be reliably translated across text mediums without coloration.
Consider using fixed width spacing for the skill name as well.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 12/8/2020 6:19:30 PM >

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 37
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 12/8/2020 7:18:40 PM   
Destragon

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimwinsor

Sweet, thanks. Yeah, I was also wondering what to do about Steam. I was looking up if it's possible to colour code there, but it looks like it's a no.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 38
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 12/20/2020 5:38:05 AM   
newageofpower

This is one of the best resources I've found for the game. Much thanks!

(in reply to Destragon)
Post #: 39
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 1/9/2021 3:29:51 PM   
Sieppo

After playing this game since June I have to say, this post is the most useful post on this forum. Thank you again, I pretty much keep the page open always when playing. Should be pinned.

< Message edited by Sieppo -- 1/9/2021 3:30:03 PM >

> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.

(in reply to newageofpower)
Post #: 40
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 1/9/2021 4:43:03 PM   
jimwinsor

Thanks! I also posted this as a Steam Guide, which may be easier to access: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2307478602

(in reply to Sieppo)
Post #: 41
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 1/13/2021 1:19:11 AM   
eddieballgame

Outstanding Guide...'Print' & Saved As PDF.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 42
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 1/14/2021 3:12:39 PM   
Arralen

Many thanks jimwinsor - I had my table halfway finished when I found your lists here ... made things much more easy:

As one can see, you don't need equally talented people for all jobs - and some skills are not really needed at all.
Btw., Vic, do you really not want to do something about that?

What are missing are (e)vents, for the most part. And don't ask what that governor event was - when it happened, I just noted "e" in my table and went back to the game

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Arralen -- 1/14/2021 3:21:17 PM >

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 43
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 1/14/2021 3:57:36 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

Btw., Vic, do you really not want to do something about that?

Oh, I am sure it is on "the list".
The list is very long.

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 44
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 1/14/2021 4:24:25 PM   
jimwinsor

Yeah, as I noted in my prologue, including the skills used on events is missing and would be a big project to undertake. The easiest way would be to peek at all the event text in the code, but we can't really do that. The other would be to make a note during play when events come up, but that would be a difficult and probably less than complete account.

I am starting to informally pay more attention to events though, and make a mental note in my mind. For example, Governors (or their Advisors) often need Offensive Tactics to deal with all sorts of civic disturbances, etc. Things like that.

The chart is a great addition, thanks!!!

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 45
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 1/14/2021 10:07:08 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

I don't have a Secret Service Council yet in my ongoing game, and I noticed that my secretary has a higher Covert Ops skill usage rate than my Supreme Command Council director who actually sends out the spies. I suspect this means that the secretary is actually the one that rolls to prevent spies from being lost in the absence of a Secret Service Council, rather than the Supreme Command Council director.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 46
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 1/14/2021 11:41:03 PM   
Arralen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soar_Slitherine
I don't have a Secret Service Council yet in my ongoing game, and I noticed that my secretary has a higher Covert Ops skill usage rate than my Supreme Command Council director who actually sends out the spies. I suspect this means that the secretary is actually the one that rolls to prevent spies from being lost in the absence of a Secret Service Council, rather than the Supreme Command Council director.

Now this is an interesting information!
If this turns out to be true and intended (therefore not fixed/changed in a patch), this would mean that the secretary might actually "worse" than the governor in the number of skills he needs.
Only that the number would diminish during the game, and the secretary becomes a prime governor candidate ... .

< Message edited by Arralen -- 1/15/2021 1:33:53 AM >

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 47
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 1/15/2021 12:37:59 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

I don't follow. What does my observation have to do with use of any skill besides Covert Ops by the secretary? It makes sense that somebody is responsible for maintaining spies even if there is no Secret Service council, but otherwise they only seem to make rolls if an existing job position is vacant.

(in reply to Arralen)
Post #: 48
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 1/15/2021 3:22:40 PM   
jimwinsor

I've noticed tax stratagems call on the Secretary now to make the roll, even when a SCC is available. So yeah, some change was made in a patch not too long ago, complicating what we previously knew about backup ministers.

(in reply to Soar_Slitherine)
Post #: 49
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 2/2/2021 11:24:43 PM   
FarAway Sooner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sieppo
After playing this game since June I have to say, this post is the most useful post on this forum. Thank you again, I pretty much keep the page open always when playing. Should be pinned.

Although I only started playing this game one month ago, I'd echo this comment. I love the game and I love Vic's hard work on it!

The Council mechanics are exciting and really important, but also quite opaque to newcomers. I think the volume of enthusiastic responses on this thread suggests one low-hanging fruit that he could deliver pretty easily. On the "Add a New Council" screen, provide Tooltips that provide a simple description of what each Council does.

Heck, I'd volunteer to write them myself if he's interested! Here's a sample:

quote:

The Economic Council generates Research Points to Discover new civilian technologies and then to Research them, it generates Prospecting Points to locate hidden resources within your Zones, and it helps with your empire's economic policies. Stratagems relating to the Economic Council include managing Corporate relationships, promoting investments in the public sector, and private-sector activities involving prospecting or archaeology.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 50
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 2/23/2021 5:15:36 PM   
jimwinsor

Big update: ECOLOGY is now a thing! Yes Ecology, that skill I once referred to as "the most obscure skill in the game." Thanks to the 1.08 patch, the Foreign Affairs Council now uses Ecology on its minor diplomacy cards interacting with intelligent alien species (Xeno Diplomat, Xeno Diplomat Team).

It's something to keep in mind now when recruiting your Foreign Minister on planets with fauna that grunt at you and make hand gestures!

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 51
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 3/10/2021 2:57:25 PM   
BlueTemplar

quote:

Lastly, the Secretary also acts as the minister of last resort, when neither the appropriate cabinet official nor the Supreme Command Council is available. The roll is done at a -25 penalty.

quote:

The SCC also makes the Skill Rolls for any other leaders who are not present for some reason, making him or her the first backup in such situations.

Neither of these seems to be happening ?
I switched my Interior Council Director, and during the turn that position was vacant, I got the full -50% relation bonus and 0% skill bonus on all 4 tasks.

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 52
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 3/10/2021 3:20:11 PM   
Akrakorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueTemplar

quote:

Lastly, the Secretary also acts as the minister of last resort, when neither the appropriate cabinet official nor the Supreme Command Council is available. The roll is done at a -25 penalty.

quote:

The SCC also makes the Skill Rolls for any other leaders who are not present for some reason, making him or her the first backup in such situations.

Neither of these seems to be happening ?
I switched my Interior Council Director, and during the turn that position was vacant, I got the full -50% relation bonus and 0% skill bonus on all 4 tasks.

I'm not sure what you mean, but the Secretary does take over if the appropiate council cabinet leader isn't available.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 53
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 3/10/2021 3:25:19 PM   
BlueTemplar

Ah, I was talking about Council Tasks, rather than Stratagems.

(in reply to Akrakorn)
Post #: 54
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 3/10/2021 5:21:56 PM   
jimwinsor

Yeah I should clarify that that only applies to stratagem rolls ...

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 55
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 3/10/2021 6:06:26 PM   
zgrssd

I noticed a lack of information on Retirement. Wich is one form of "Human Resource Management". The other one being assasiantion.

My understanding is this:
- each retirement card/retirement plan has a specific target Seniority. It is designed to have a 50% sucess chance against that seniority level
- the councilor and target skills are ignored
- the card rolls 1D[2 times the stated seniority] vs [target leader seniority]. Wich results in the above mentioned 50% chane vs the target Seniority.
- if there is money attached to the retirement, you only pay on a success
- if you fail with a card that is at least within the right ballpark (not trying the minimal 1D20 card vs a seniority 71 leader), the targets seniority will be reduced
- if you crit fail, this is handeled as if you promised a job - with all the downsides for Wordscore and Happiness if you do not do that it entails

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 56
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 3/11/2021 3:08:35 AM   
jimwinsor

Yes, not a bad thing to add. I should probably also update with a brief section on scrapping hiring cards. I'm def going to include this image on the Steam Guide:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 57
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 3/11/2021 8:34:09 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

I noticed a lack of information on Retirement. Wich is one form of "Human Resource Management". The other one being assasiantion.

- each retirement card/retirement plan has a specific target Seniority. It is designed to have a 50% sucess chance against that seniority level
- the card rolls 1D[2 times the stated seniority] vs [target leader seniority]. Wich results in the above mentioned 50% chane vs the target Seniority.
- if you fail with a card that is at least within the right ballpark (not trying the minimal 1D20 card vs a seniority 71 leader), the targets seniority will be reduced
- if you crit fail, this is handeled as if you promised a job - with all the downsides for Wordscore and Happiness if you do not do that it entails

A small correction on the fail and seniority damage:
Apparently there is a fixed percentange of seniority damage (0%/25%/50%/75%) based on the level of the Retirement plan. As long as you risk spending any money, you can get their seniority right down.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 58
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 3/12/2021 2:45:13 AM   
jimwinsor

Updated. I think retirement rolls need to be equal to or greater than Seniority? And not greater? I can't recall an instance where the roll was right on the number ...

< Message edited by jimwinsor -- 3/12/2021 2:51:09 AM >

(in reply to jimwinsor)
Post #: 59
RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration - 3/12/2021 3:24:33 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd

Another small correction on the fail result:
It is possible that the "You are counted as if you promised a job" result only happens with the "no Retirement Plan" option. And on that one it happens with a Normal Fail.
It is possible that while Criticial Fail/Sucess are still indicated, that they are not actually tracked based on how different the roll is.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 3/12/2021 3:25:01 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> War Room >> RE: Grog's Guide to Human Resources Administration Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI