Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How's this game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: How's this game? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 7:30:52 AM   
basilstaghare

Its been a 5 star experience for me...still playing my first game since release @ 125 turns in a huge/siwi/slow tech start...

(in reply to Fleshbits)
Post #: 31
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 7:32:05 AM   
diamondspider

Are you playing on easy difficulty? Because I need to constantly fret over things like: how much to pay workers, how much to pay staff, if staff is working on the right things, how much to put into building units vs. how much to put into growth, how to optimize my distribution network (this is more in later phases, but the early phase of pushing back borders is a different feel and skill), what to upgrade next in military and when...

Then there is the fact that I usually am bordering 3-4 minors and 1-3 majors (in current game my borders span 7 different factions). Then there is the OHQ issue of which to build and if any strategems will be involved, along with what attachments. How much to invest in private economy (very important).

If you are playing on easy maybe it doesn't matter much, but normal or higher it all matters.

(in reply to Fleshbits)
Post #: 32
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 10:22:52 AM   
fluidwill matrix

Hugely addictive digital crack, highly recommended.

(in reply to diamondspider)
Post #: 33
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 10:55:26 AM   
TruJared

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fleshbits

I dunno guys. I keep hearing about complexity, but I am not finding myself making many decisions.

Need this resource->Build it/Find it
Decision makes guy happy->Do it
Faction too big to conquer->Make friends
Fighting enemy->Move troops to front line.
Enemy going around line->Move line

is about all I have to think about. Not trying to bash the game, I see potential, but I am curious what kinds of decisions you find yourselves making?

What I've found in my experience so far is that part of the design philosophy behind the game is that you can absolutely play it the way you suggest. However, playing that way does also limit the overall game experience (which, depending on your mood or play style is completely acceptable). I've also found that when I've approached games where I just made decisions "on the surface" I end up slowly creating other problems and before I even realized it, I had several critical issues that I had to deal with. I'll also add that on more difficult planets and game starts the decision are much more important as the game is less forgiving. One of the more fascinating things about this game, for me, is that everyone seems to experience it differently, which is quite the rarity in today's gaming market.

(in reply to Fleshbits)
Post #: 34
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 4:39:44 PM   
Grotius

For me, choosing which techs to pursue is almost always an interesting decision. Choosing which assets to build is often interesting to me, as I often have limited resources (especially metal) and must decide which upgrades have to wait. Choosing between trucks and rail can be interesting: efficiency vs flexibility. Choosing which minors to fight and which not is often interesting. Designing Models is sometimes obvious but sometimes interesting (howitzer or high-velocity gun? energy or conventional weapons?). The hex-and-counter tactical decisions are often interesting to me: bombard more, or push ahead more aggressively? Send armor around the backlines, risking losing supply, or play conservatively? Some Decisions are more interesting than others, I concede; some are too easy. But some make different leaders unhappy, or have a tradeoff between money and something else, so you have to decide which outcome is less bad.

Seems like plenty of interesting decisionmaking to me.

(in reply to Fleshbits)
Post #: 35
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 7:30:44 PM   
ezzler

I got bored very quickly. I don't really know what to do and the game won't assist you. Why can't I extend a dirt road? [go figure it out yourself]
yeah.. but is it lack of resources? or build points? Is there some kind of central supply area that has to be.. {I SAID GO FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF!!]

Ok.. Why can't I get any reinforcements? [Go figure it out for yourself. Watch one of the endless videos, why don't you?]

Yeah. But I just want to know why I don't have /..[GO WATCH A TUTORIAL VIDEO!! GO WATCH THEM ALL!! THEN READ THE MANUAL A FEW MORE TIMES! I'M NOT YOUR GOD-DARN MOTHER! YOU FIGURE IT OUT.. THEN SEARCH A FORUM. DON'T WASTE THIS PROGRAMMER'S TIME WITH MAKING TOOLTIPS. OR ERROR CODE EXPLANATION REASONS. LEARN THE GAME YOURSELF!]

I can't remember another game that I've purchased so recently, and have so little desire to continue playing. I have 14 hours or so. Feels like 400.

(in reply to Fleshbits)
Post #: 36
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 8:16:05 PM   
GodwinW

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezzler

I got bored very quickly. I don't really know what to do and the game won't assist you. Why can't I extend a dirt road? [go figure it out yourself]
yeah.. but is it lack of resources? or build points? Is there some kind of central supply area that has to be.. {I SAID GO FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF!!]

Ok.. Why can't I get any reinforcements? [Go figure it out for yourself. Watch one of the endless videos, why don't you?]

Yeah. But I just want to know why I don't have /..[GO WATCH A TUTORIAL VIDEO!! GO WATCH THEM ALL!! THEN READ THE MANUAL A FEW MORE TIMES! I'M NOT YOUR GOD-DARN MOTHER! YOU FIGURE IT OUT.. THEN SEARCH A FORUM. DON'T WASTE THIS PROGRAMMER'S TIME WITH MAKING TOOLTIPS. OR ERROR CODE EXPLANATION REASONS. LEARN THE GAME YOURSELF!]

I can't remember another game that I've purchased so recently, and have so little desire to continue playing. I have 14 hours or so. Feels like 400.

Sorry to hear that.

Trying to answer:

Cannot build a dirt road? -> You do not have enough IP (the white gears). They can be produced by building Industry buildings.
Why can't I get any reinforcements? -> your troops may be out of range. There's a certain range they need to be in for the replacements to make their way there. See the topic of Logistics. Also possible: you haven't made enough. Check the right-hand side button (one of 3 tabs) that says 'Replacements', just under the Workshop where you create ammo and such.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 37
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 9:01:45 PM   
jwarrenw13

quote:

One thing. There is information in the bottom right when you can't build a road and for some other things, and even when you can, telling you the cost. Don't know if you have noticed them or not. I didn't at first.

Having said that, yours is a legitimate view and like all games some people are just not going to like this game. It does have a very steep learning curve in my opinion.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 38
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 9:21:37 PM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fleshbits

I dunno guys. I keep hearing about complexity, but I am not finding myself making many decisions.

Need this resource->Build it/Find it
Decision makes guy happy->Do it
Faction too big to conquer->Make friends
Fighting enemy->Move troops to front line.
Enemy going around line->Move line

is about all I have to think about. Not trying to bash the game, I see potential, but I am curious what kinds of decisions you find yourselves making?

Sounds like every game in one form or another.
I find this game requires a little more thought than most to achieve ones goals.
Particularly when dealing with your leaders/advisors while maintaining (trying to) your leadership ideologies.
Oh, & then there is your damn private sector.

(in reply to Fleshbits)
Post #: 39
RE: How's this game? - 6/25/2020 10:41:13 PM   
FlashXAron_slith

quote:

Hmmm understand it, but because of that, that you have to figure it out, what to do , I like such games. After a time, when I know, what is possible and how it is done, I get the most of the time bored ...

what I hate about games and why I stop playing such games, is , when I find out the computer controlled faction cheat like hell, but prentend they have to use the same rules ...
I don't have a problem, when the enemy nation stands for some different race or monsters , which uses different resources, but than there is most of the time a balance problem ...

so why we (brother, friend and me) stopped to play and enjoying it, was when the pretending "human race" pc controlled nations used cheating rules for them ... no support lines or near endless distances, after they need supple, if they need any and of course , producing a lot more from the same cities. No problem to play against mutant hordes, which uses different rulesets , if it is well balanced somehow ...

So waiting for a noncheating pc controlled major nation code
or an option to start planets without mahor nations to play against hordes of mutatet animals or cratures ...

and maybe an option to reduce the random range factor like PC 2 has ...

So checking the forum , if something in that direction is happening.

< Message edited by FlashXAron_slith -- 6/25/2020 10:46:29 PM >

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 40
RE: How's this game? - 6/26/2020 12:29:03 AM   
Smidlee

AI doesn't cheat, it just a set of instructions. It's like claiming the ghost in Pac-man cheat because it's 4 against one and the ghost get faster with each level.
AI doesn't actually "play" the game. I like racing game where the AI does not actually race all the other cars around the track.

(in reply to FlashXAron_slith)
Post #: 41
RE: How's this game? - 6/26/2020 7:23:23 PM   
Dmitri_ssl

I've dabbled in hex based wargames for two decades but to be honest none really hooked me. I love the idea of the mechanics but the historical settings don't interest me.

The scifi theme of this has me hooked. I love the layer of expansion, merging wargames with 4x.

It's really not too hard of a game to get into, my impression is you can play average and run on autopilot depending on the planet and the proximity to other majors - but to have a full experience once really needs to pour over the stats and tune things.

< Message edited by Dmitri_ssl -- 6/26/2020 7:28:27 PM >

(in reply to Smidlee)
Post #: 42
RE: How's this game? - 6/26/2020 8:37:29 PM   
eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dmitri_ssl

I've dabbled in hex based wargames for two decades but to be honest none really hooked me. I love the idea of the mechanics but the historical settings don't interest me.

The scifi theme of this has me hooked. I love the layer of expansion, merging wargames with 4x.

It's really not too hard of a game to get into, my impression is you can play average and run on autopilot depending on the planet and the proximity to other majors - but to have a full experience once really needs to pour over the stats and tune things.

Yes, the 'sci-fi' theme is a huge plus.
No clue, however, how one could play this game on 'auto pilot'.
Unless of course one is in a hurry to get crushed.

(in reply to Dmitri_ssl)
Post #: 43
RE: How's this game? - 6/26/2020 10:30:05 PM   
Sieppo

quote:

ORIGINAL: fluidwill matrix

Hugely addictive digital crack, highly recommended.

Agree

(in reply to fluidwill matrix)
Post #: 44
RE: How's this game? - 6/26/2020 11:41:26 PM   
Rosseau

quote:

In reply to ezzler,

I know you from this forum, and you hit the nail on the head, exactly my feelings - for you and I at least, and for now. Things will get better.

To eddieballgame and jwarrenw13 - thanks for the tips.

No more posting for me on this topic. But I am sincerely glad this is such a big hit for Vic and for Matrix. It indirectly supports other games that we might not see without these better sellers.

This is OT, but some recent games, such as Astra Exodus, Fantasy General II and CC:TBF have been a disappointment for me. We will see how future releases go.

For 20 years or so, Matrix has been the premier site for wargames. But it needs to be aware of the competition - games like Carrier Battles 4 Guadalcanal and the upcoming Second Front on Steam have the potential to eclipse some of your new releases. Matrix is not longer "playing" in a vacuum.

Thanks again also for keeping things civil on the forums. Love you guys!

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 45
RE: How's this game? - 6/27/2020 11:57:29 AM   
Dmitri_ssl

quote:

ORIGINAL: eddieballgame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dmitri_ssl

Yes, the 'sci-fi' theme is a huge plus.
No clue, however, how one could play this game on 'auto pilot'.
Unless of course one is in a hurry to get crushed.

Hmm perhaps I mean "autopilot" in that I don't feel any more overwhelmed than in any other 4x game. I mean on beginner it's very approachable and I don't feel overwhelmed. It was a positive remark.

(in reply to eddieballgame)
Post #: 46
RE: How's this game? - 7/7/2020 10:10:32 PM   
ThunderLizard11

Can someone comment on what other games they played that they liked as well so I can understand who this game appeals to?

(in reply to Dmitri_ssl)
Post #: 47
RE: How's this game? - 7/7/2020 11:29:28 PM   
jwarrenw13

Kind of like one of the posts above from Matrix for me. Games I have truly loved. Civilization, Crusader Kings II. Rimworld (It's different but not entirely.). Decisive Campaigns series. Dominions. Endless Legend. War in the East. Field of Glory Empires. Distant Worlds Universe. I'll stop there. I think this may top all of them.

(in reply to ThunderLizard11)
Post #: 48
RE: How's this game? - 7/8/2020 12:51:14 AM   
diamondspider

I love this game and here are my top 10 other favorite games as determined by playtime on Steam (and why I love it):

-7 Days to Die (free sandbox builder with exploration and a creative theme... also flawless multiplayer)
-Pathfinder: Kingmaker (high freedom RPG)
-Warlock 2: The Exiled (creative war game with vast build variety)
-Witcher: Wild Hunt (explore a huge world and good build variety and high quality art and story)
-The Sims 3 (creative building and building a family your way)
-War in the East (deep complexity war game counting nearly every bullet in logistics on the entire Eastern front)
-Earannorth Reborn (millions of build potential deck builder)
-Fallout 4 (explore a vast world and build your character your way)
-Steel Division: Normandy 44 (high skill and realism war game)
-Civilization 5 (high skill and high variety war game)

So the theme here is that I like sandbox feel, high skill, and high variety and creativity of build. I like exploring rules systems, applying that skill, and exploring creative worlds.

< Message edited by diamondspider -- 7/8/2020 12:53:09 AM >

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 49
RE: How's this game? - 7/8/2020 4:01:51 AM   
sinbuster

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThunderLizard2

Can someone comment on what other games they played that they liked as well so I can understand who this game appeals to?

Well... I like CRPGs, RPGs, TBS, RTS, RTWP, 4X, sandbox & scripted campaigns. Does that narrow it down any?

I've seen it described as Gary Grigsby's Alpha Centauri and that does sorta capture the feel. Sandbox sci-fi 4X meets old school war game.

< Message edited by sinbuster -- 7/8/2020 6:13:36 AM >

Post #: 50
RE: How's this game? - 7/8/2020 5:09:41 AM   
Lovenought

quote:

Gary Grigsby's Alpha Centauri

Oh god yeah that is the best way to describe it, i'm stealing that.

(in reply to sinbuster)
Post #: 51
RE: How's this game? - 7/8/2020 8:24:15 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

I play to many games to list. But under comparable games?
Hearts of Iron 4. I really prefer how SE deals with Production of gear and storage. The turnbased nature also helps a ton with allowing us to make decisions.

The only Slitherine or Matrix game I know I have, is Warhammer 40k Gladius. Very low overlap, IMHO.

Civilisations 5, 6 and BE. Age of Wonders: Planetfall. But I only mention them because they are Hex based and big ones. Not a lot in common with them.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 7/8/2020 9:43:09 AM >

Post #: 52
RE: How's this game? - 7/8/2020 9:00:59 AM   
Lovenought

quote:

Gary Grigsby War in the (place) series. Steel Panthers WW2. Hearts of Iron III (and the more modern Paradox 4X games, but I didn't like them as much). Distant Worlds. Other grognardy games I can't remember.

I like other genres as well obviously, but Shadow Empire scratched this particular itch that I sometimes get.

Post #: 53
RE: How's this game? - 7/9/2020 1:46:16 AM   
ThunderLizard11

Thanks - just got it (using my loyalty coupon) and looking forward to digging in.

(in reply to Lovenought)
Post #: 54
RE: How's this game? - 7/9/2020 1:56:55 AM   
jwarrenw13

DasTactic Tips and Tricks[/link]Watch this video series if you care to watch that much video. If not at least watch the initial setup videos. DasTactic also has each video divided into an initial quick summary version and then a detailed look at each topi, so you can watch the first part of each video and get a good idea of the game. I don't like watching Youtubes to learn a game. Usually hate it. But I watched the entire series.

Link

< Message edited by jwarrenw13 -- 7/9/2020 1:58:19 AM >

Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: How's this game? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI