Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Empire of the Sun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/6/2021 7:40:00 AM   
DesertWolf101

September 27, 1942

Andy has given up on defending the airspace over Vladivostok (at least for now), so my IJAAF sweeps encountered no opposition there today. IJNAF Zero units did find opposition over Komsomolsk and Ulan Bator however, and some more furious air battles raged. These are the very best of what the Empire has to offer in terms of fighter pilots, and the results were telling. Best of all, none of the Zero pilots died or were even injured.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DesertWolf101)
Post #: 691
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/6/2021 7:40:43 AM   
DesertWolf101

The Elite

Attachment (1)

Post #: 692
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/7/2021 2:39:17 AM   
DesertWolf101

September 28-29, 1942

My accident in triggering the campaign in Russia several days earlier than what was planned has opened the door for Andy to shuffle large numbers of forces through the rail line. Nearly the entire Soviet force around the Kuibyshevka area (about 1700 AV) has withdrawn, probably to the north, and I estimate another two infantry divisions and four tank brigades (at least) have pulled out from the area around Khabarovsk, also to the north. Ugh.

Still, things could have been far worse had the 20th Recon Regiment not arrived just in time to stop a much larger flow of Russian forces to the north from the Vladivostok area. The Regiment's heroic sacrifice will allow me the time needed to finally block the rail for good.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 693
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/7/2021 2:43:27 AM   
DesertWolf101

I am registering almost ten reported ASW air hits on Soviet subs a day - if only one of those is real that's already good.

Meanwhile, Andy and I are playing a game of minesweeper at sea! Unfortunately, the Japanese Type 4 mines are really nothing to write home about.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 694
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/7/2021 5:35:12 PM   
DesertWolf101

September 30 - October 1, 1942

The campaign against the USSR continues at high intensity. Choybalsan and Oboto on the Chinese/Mongolian border are some of the first Soviet bases to fall to the Empire as Andy looks to retreat northwestwards and secure his lines back to the motherland. We are in the middle of a race to Ulan Bator where I have the advantage in better roads and his reinforcements the advantage in faster motorized forces.

Some good news came to light as the 1st and 2nd Tank divisions of Katana force seized the rail west of Mogocha. More Soviet forces than anticipated, likely from the Kuibyshevka starting positions, were pocketed after they had fled the first attempt at encirclement. If I can hold here then Andy would likely end up having extricated only a few infantry divisions, some infantry brigades, and maybe about four tank brigades. I can definitely live with that. The problem to holding this position is twofold however. The first is that supply is not flowing as nicely as I would want it, something I am trying to to rectify. The second is that Andy has concentrated his bomber force around the Chita area and is willing to use it to hammer my tank divisions and help his forces breakthrough. Further Japanese support is on the way but this one hangs in the balance.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 695
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/7/2021 5:41:59 PM   
DesertWolf101

October 1st was also a rather frustrating day in the air for me. Andy has largely given up defending forward with his fighters, especially in the Vladivostok area, relying on flak instead. I used this opportunity to move up some Val dive bomber units to pounce on his warships sheltering under the guns of Vladivostok. After half a dozen sweeps went through in case he decided to put fighters on CAP, Sally bombers and the Vals came in to do their job but were beset by Soviet fighters diverting from training missions. The cost was huge with around 20 Vals and 25 Sallys knocked out of the sky. I don't think fighters ever divert from training missions to fight sweeps (or at least I have never seen them do so), but they can pose a very grave danger against subsequent bomber raids following the sweeps. Something to keep in mind.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 696
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/7/2021 6:04:25 PM   
GetAssista

Any paratroops of yours ready on stations? On the map it looks like Andy had left some bases unattended, and with airgroups still in. You can drop in, wreck havoc and then extricate via air transport

quote:

ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101
I don't think fighters ever divert from training missions to fight sweeps (or at least I have never seen them do so), but they can pose a very grave danger against subsequent bomber raids following the sweeps. Something to keep in mind.

I believe you can catch those trainers by having a LRCAP above Vlad. LRCAP will join in if your other mission runs into opposing CAP.

Post #: 697
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/7/2021 8:49:55 PM   
adarbrauner

quote:

The first is that supply is not flowing as nicely as I would want it, something I am trying to to rectify.

How?

Post #: 698
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/7/2021 10:38:05 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

Any paratroops of yours ready on stations? On the map it looks like Andy had left some bases unattended, and with airgroups still in. You can drop in, wreck havoc and then extricate via air transport

quote:

I don't think fighters ever divert from training missions to fight sweeps (or at least I have never seen them do so), but they can pose a very grave danger against subsequent bomber raids following the sweeps. Something to keep in mind.

I believe you can catch those trainers by having a LRCAP above Vlad. LRCAP will join in if your other mission runs into opposing CAP.

Excellent suggestion on the LRCAP. I agree that looks to be the most effective way of countering this particular threat.

I do have paratroopers available and plan on doing some more drops very soon. The aircraft symbol in abandoned bases is rather deceptive however, it's mostly just a couple of damaged airframes Andy has left behind.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 699
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/7/2021 10:41:55 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

quote:

The first is that supply is not flowing as nicely as I would want it, something I am trying to to rectify.

How?

I am doing three things:
1) Drive more supply to my most forward bases, including Hailar and Moho
2) Eliminate an NKVD unit that was bypassed and is now in my lines
3) Take Borzya and the surrounding forts to claim the rail even further northwards.

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 700
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/7/2021 10:48:46 PM   
DesertWolf101

October 2, 1942

Got a decent amount of revenge for the Vladivostok air disaster when one of my elite Zeke units caught Andy's SB-2s attempting to slow down my march towards Ulan Bator. Even Val dive-bombers bit back when they hit hard a convoy of about ten Soviet xAKs docking at Alexandrovsk. I'm not sure but maybe he was trying to pull out that garrison?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 701
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/7/2021 11:05:57 PM   
RangerJoe

If you would have pounded the ground unit at Skovorodino then paradropped on it, you may have been able to capture it on the first day. That base and the one three hexes away start with only a NKVD regiment which has few heavy weapons. That cuts the rail line off to Vlad and the resource flow to the big supply base.

If you would have invaded the base at the mouth of the river across from Sakhalin, then ran up the river to invade the base there, that is the only base with Soviet aircraft production. I believe that it provides about half of the IL-2 aircraft that come in.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 702
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/8/2021 7:14:13 PM   
DesertWolf101

October 3-4, 1942

Some good news and some bad news on the Russian front.

Bad news first: The 2nd Tank Division was driven back by a Soviet shock attack as it attempted to keep a lid on the Mogocha pocket. The problem I have in this sector is the heavy Russian air attacks which rapidly eat up supply and raise disruption thus weakening my troops. Scores of Russian bombers are getting shot down by my increasingly exhausted fighter pilots but they are many and they keep coming. All is not lost on this front however as Odachi force is wrapping up its operations in the Kuibyshevka area, and thanks to a well timed paradrop on Skovorodino, will be able to rail up to pressure the Mogocha pocket from the rear in just a few days. In the meantime, the infantry of Katana force is making speed to reinforce the 1st Tank Division still in its blocking position. Things are increasingly dicey here and the Russian troops in the pocket may very well escape, but there is still a chance of keeping them in.

With regards to the good news, Tachi force has made good headway towards Ulan Bator, with the advanced tank regiments of the force destroying the 30th Motorcycle Regiment that was attempting to stall them. Andy is sending a stream of reinforcements from the north however so actually taking the city is likely going to be quite tough. Finally, the rest of Katana force that is not involved with the Mogocha pocket battle has battered the Soviet 94th Rifle Division and is about to attack at Borzya to hopefully take that base, which will facilitate LCAP efforts in the future - let's hope the dreaded Soviet bombers don't ruin the party!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 703
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/8/2021 7:15:14 PM   
DesertWolf101

The 2nd Tank Division is Driven Back

TOE has gone from 95% to 70% - the division is pulling back for rest and refit.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 704
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/8/2021 7:17:38 PM   
DesertWolf101

The Air Effort

Ceaseless Russian bomber attacks keep coming despite considerable losses. The IL-2 does very little damage but it's attacks eat supply and their defensive guns can be quite deadly - Saburo Sakai was wounded in the eye while tangling with some of them and is now in hospital after a heroic flight back to base.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 705
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/8/2021 7:19:26 PM   
DesertWolf101

Meanwhile in India

I am being quite quite aggressive in India although Andy's forces in the subcontinent now outnumber mine by a considerable margin. Here I catch the III Corps and 17th Indian Division and send them reeling back.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 706
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/8/2021 8:08:02 PM   
adarbrauner

quote:

The problem I have in this sector is the heavy Russian air attacks which rapidly eat up supply and raise disruption thus weakening my troops.

Hi,

can you tell the increased supply consumption by monitoring it, or is it the logical obvious assumption?

Disruption caused by Soviet bomber attacks: here too, did you see any hint or indication of the increased disruption resultingfrom air support/strikes, or is it here too the logically inferred consequence?

Post #: 707
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/8/2021 8:48:30 PM   
RangerJoe

Every attack increases the supply consumption by 10%. No matter the size of the attack. Which is why it is nice to even send 2 or 3 Idas over to bomb a large stack of units, especially if the Idas stay above the level of the AAA . . .

― Julia Child

Post #: 708
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/8/2021 10:03:17 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

All is not lost on this front however as Odachi force is wrapping up its operations in the Kuibyshevka area, and thanks to a well timed paradrop on Skovorodino, will be able to rail up to pressure the Mogocha pocket from the rear in just a few days.

If the 2nd TD is the only force in its hex currently, you won't be able to keep Mogocha Russians pocketed, cause you don't have enough hexes inbetween. They can enter the contested hex on the rail (west from the 2nd TD) from both sides and thus escape by moving through, they don't need to win any other battles.
If there are some of your forces in the hex 2nd TD is in, you need to hold it to keep the pocket. Sweep/bomb Mogocha to take away their supply and send some smaller unit north to cut off more routes for the supply from the west.

Post #: 709
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/9/2021 12:07:16 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

quote:

The problem I have in this sector is the heavy Russian air attacks which rapidly eat up supply and raise disruption thus weakening my troops.

Hi,

can you tell the increased supply consumption by monitoring it, or is it the logical obvious assumption?

Disruption caused by Soviet bomber attacks: here too, did you see any hint or indication of the increased disruption resultingfrom air support/strikes, or is it here too the logically inferred consequence?

Besides what RJ noted above, you can see the required supply for every unit in the unit screen. It greatly increases when the unit is in combat and it turns red when the unit does not have enough. With regards to levels of disruption, both disruption and fatigue state is also displayed in the individual unit screen.

Post #: 710
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/9/2021 12:13:40 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

All is not lost on this front however as Odachi force is wrapping up its operations in the Kuibyshevka area, and thanks to a well timed paradrop on Skovorodino, will be able to rail up to pressure the Mogocha pocket from the rear in just a few days.

If the 2nd TD is the only force in its hex currently, you won't be able to keep Mogocha Russians pocketed, cause you don't have enough hexes inbetween. They can enter the contested hex on the rail (west from the 2nd TD) from both sides and thus escape by moving through, they don't need to win any other battles.
If there are some of your forces in the hex 2nd TD is in, you need to hold it to keep the pocket. Sweep/bomb Mogocha to take away their supply and send some smaller unit north to cut off more routes for the supply from the west.

Yes, that's correct. I was hoping the infantry divisions would arrive in time for the 2nd TD to rapidly move one hex eastwards towards Mogocha and create that two hex blocking position. With the new turn that I just received this looks to no longer be possible as the Soviets are moving too fast. I think I have to pull back here behind the river for now and wait for the rest of the Japanese army to catch up before continuing the advance.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 711
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/9/2021 2:06:30 AM   
DesertWolf101

October 5, 1942

India has been the center of the air action today where Andy is throwing every bomber in the theater at my army from the lowly Lysander to the mighty B-17. The Imperial Army in India is advancing towards Aligarh for a shock attack across the river in pursuit of the badly mauled 17th Indian Division, and Andy is doing his best to stop me. The IJAAF is desperately trying to disrupt his bombers and I am hoping for bad weather to keep them from doing real harm to my army which is in clear terrain.

I should add: I am really playing with fire here skirting the emergency reinforcement line so closely. Once I attack across the river I will very likely head south to not risk it further (and to decrease the threat of bombing).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 2/9/2021 2:11:19 AM >

Post #: 712
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/9/2021 2:12:49 AM   
DesertWolf101

The Oscar Ic took the brunt of the Allied sweeps in India today, but we extracted a price nonetheless:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 2/9/2021 2:16:09 AM >

Post #: 713
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/9/2021 2:24:22 AM   
DesertWolf101

To A6M5 or to not A6M5?

The A6M5 is now available to me for production and given this is the first time I am playing Japan I am not really sure how much of an improvement it is over the A6M3a. I really like the A6M3a's excellent range and maneuverability, both of which are better than the A6M5. The A6M5 however does have better speed, climb, and durability. So what's the general perspective here, to A6M5 or not to A6M5? I am leaning towards upgrading some production to the new fighter but keeping half for the A6M3a.

Post #: 714
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/9/2021 12:34:42 PM   
DesertWolf101

October 6, 1942

The fighting is at a fever pitch with generally good news from the Russian front today. Instead of pulling back from the rail and giving up on sealing off the Mogocha pocket, I decided to double down on the mission and ordered a maximum effort from the IJAAF. They delivered this turn, and despite the entrance of MiG-3 sweeps which drove away my CAP and gave free reign for Andy's bombers to come through, my own bombers showed up in force and pounded his troops, which allowed my forces to hold the line for another precious turn. The first infantry division crossed the river this turn and more are behind it. Nearby, Borzya was also taken by the rest of Katana force.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 715
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/9/2021 12:39:07 PM   
DesertWolf101

In the south, I decided to go for another go at Andy's Soviet Navy in and around Vladivostok but this time with the foreknowledge of his training squadron trick. I put up heavy LCAP and sure enough when his fighters diverted from their training to pounce on my bombers the LCAP swept them away. Excellent results were achieved with six submarines sunk and another three or so destroyers wrecked in three waves of attacks on the port facilities. This was followed up by Val dive-bomber strikes on naval assets offshore which heavily hit another two Soviet destroyers.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 716
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/9/2021 11:48:44 PM   
DesertWolf101

October 7, 1942

Two critical battles took place today, both shock attacks.

The first one was in India, where the Japanese army shock attacked across the river into Aligarh where the 17th Indian division had retreated to after it was badly hit at Agra. Just before the Imperial infantry stormed across the river however, Andy had railed in a large number of reinforcements including the 26th Indian Division, three British infantry brigades, and an armored brigade. I caught some of these units while still unpacking and knocked down forts from 3 to 1 but it was a tough battle nonetheless that can probably best be termed a draw.

The IJAAF reinforced by some IJNAF fighters did an admirable job of keeping the Allied bombers at bay but that threat continues to hang over my head in this sector. I am also sure Andy is railing in reinforcements. It's a very tense situation.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 717
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/9/2021 11:52:20 PM   
DesertWolf101

The other battle was in the USSR where some of the trapped Soviet troops of the Mogocha pocket attempted to shock attack their way through to friendly lines against the two battered Japanese tank divisions. Thanks to timely support from Japanese bombers however, the tank divisions hold despite high disruption and the still paltry (but improving) supply situation.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 718
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/10/2021 12:19:16 AM   
RangerJoe

A lot of destroyed devices, that is good.

If the units are surrounded, supplies are limited so the damaged devices may never recover.

― Julia Child

Post #: 719
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/10/2021 3:31:49 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

A lot of destroyed devices, that is good.

If the units are surrounded, supplies are limited so the damaged devices may never recover.

Yes I think the Soviets are probable running low on supplies in the Mogocha pocket. I think I am coming on top in this particular battle now, but it was a close run thing.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI