Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Empire of the Sun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/28/2021 4:07:41 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: 29000Kevin

From reading this AAR, I wonder what your Submarine sunk tonnage list would've looked like if you had the Submarine Tracker in the campaign since you have so far only lost 2 Submarines in the entire war for an impressive ratio kill list that even the Kriegsmarine U-Boat arm would've been jealous of. **Looks at the USS Lexington**

But 1943 is coming and the events of Black May is going to rain in for any Axis Submarine attempting to strike Allied Convoy's, the Happy times will truly be over...

It's true, from sunk warships to the large number of tankers and other cargo vessels they have put down, I have had some big successes with submarines. As you say though the tide will surely change now as Allied ASW gets progressively better.

(in reply to 29000Kevin)
Post #: 901
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/28/2021 4:14:08 AM   
DesertWolf101

December 13-16, 1942

I decided to maintain the pressure on the Karachi air defenses with my sweeps. The idea is to weaken his CAP so that my Nell strikes can start picking off his vessels and interrupt his supply/forces flow into India. The couple of sweeps that have gone in over the last few days have resulted in about a 2 to 1 kill ratio in my favor but I am losing great pilots and his are likely surviving so truth be told I don't really like the tactical results. I am pressing on though with the overall strategic picture in mind.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DesertWolf101)
Post #: 902
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/28/2021 4:34:49 AM   
DesertWolf101

In the USSR my advance is continuing in the north and I have almost reached my strategic objective with the Ulan-Ude area already taken. I managed to catch and hurt a Soviet division and brigade but his forces have largely gotten away for now.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 903
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/28/2021 4:36:11 AM   
DesertWolf101

I am hoping this changes in a couple of turns when my Ulan Bator force shock attacks across the river into Kyaktah. If the weather holds and my air force intervenes, I have a good chance of catching a number of Andy's units in the base before they flee.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 904
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/28/2021 12:08:55 PM   
DesertWolf101

December 17-18, 1942

An excellent couple of days in the war for the Empire. Perseverance with the Zero sweeps has paid off. Andy's CAP over Karachi has been cleaned out and he has been forced to retreat his large convoys and warships from the port for the time being. I'm sure he can try to reopen the supply route through Karachi again once he rebuilds his fighter squadrons but for the time being this is a clear Japanese success. In less than a week of sweeps approximately 200 Allied fighters have been shot down for about a third of that in Zeros lost.

Over in the Soviet Union, the main strategic aim of Operation Siberian Winter has been accomplished as the two main Japanese army pincers link up with the fall of Kyaktah. With the help of the IJAAF bombers, the Japanese force from Ulan Bator even successfully mauled some Soviet divisions in its shock attack across the river. The Japanese troops will now head into the mountains and assume their blocking positions.

I am very pleased that my considerable planning and preparation has paid off. There were some bumps in the road to be sure, not least of which was the mini-disaster of the early start and resulting scramble. In the end however, the main operational and strategic objectives were achieved in less than three months. I am glad I stuck with my plan despite the risks - I knew it had a lot of merits and the happily the results are clear. Normally I would now turn to the slow and steady siege phase of the invasion in the Vladivostok area. With Andy having the option to just disband his units before they are destroyed I am no longer sure this is even worth the effort. Something to sleep on. For now I will enjoy the fruits of my success!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 905
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/28/2021 12:10:53 PM   
DesertWolf101

The Battle of Kyaktah

Attachment (1)

Post #: 906
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/28/2021 12:54:03 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101
Over in the Soviet Union, the main strategic aim of Operation Siberian Winter has been accomplished as the two main Japanese army pincers link up with the fall of Kyaktah. With the help of the IJAAF bombers, the Japanese force from Ulan Bator even successfully mauled some Soviet divisions in its shock attack across the river. The Japanese troops will now head into the mountains and assume their blocking positions.

Peanut gallery is cheering for you to keep pushing! Terrain is harder yes and Andy can concentrate on a few hexes. But on the bright side Andy is in relative disarray, your airforce gets a free hand, and Vlad theatre seems calm. You need a bit more strategic depth for your blocking positions :)

Is Cheremkhovo empty? It can't be , right?

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 2/28/2021 12:58:59 PM >

Post #: 907
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/28/2021 2:29:48 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Peanut gallery is cheering for you to keep pushing! Terrain is harder yes and Andy can concentrate on a few hexes. But on the bright side Andy is in relative disarray, your airforce gets a free hand, and Vlad theatre seems calm. You need a bit more strategic depth for your blocking positions :)

Is Cheremkhovo empty? It can't be , right?

Nope it's not empty. I just haven't sent a recon flight over it in a few days so it doesn't show its garrison.

We shall see, I will follow in Andy's heels and if the opportunity is there to push even further I will go for it but by and large I am content with maintaining a solid defensive line in the mountains with ample reserves.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 908
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/28/2021 5:03:35 PM   
DesertWolf101

December 19-20, 1942

In the Soviet Union, I trapped and destroyed a Soviet tank brigade at Sovetskaya Gavan while conducting some mop up operations in the southern theater.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 909
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/28/2021 5:30:05 PM   
PaxMondo

Me? I would keep forcing North in the SOV. If you gain Krasnovarsk, Abakan, and Wasu, the SOV units entering the map have no base, so no air cover. There are no other entry points for the SOV, meaning the late war SOV airforce doesn't exist. Yes, eventually he will march his troops out, but you will always have the advantage of an air force whereas he will not. Huge advantage ...

Pax

Post #: 910
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/28/2021 5:53:46 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
Me? I would keep forcing North in the SOV. If you gain Krasnovarsk, Abakan, and Wasu, the SOV units entering the map have no base, so no air cover.

If this somehow happens Sov units will have no entrance point and will stay off map forever - units can't march to/from offmap base despite what the F6 tells you, only strategic RR movement can be done. At least East Coast US base is like that.

^ Not true, Soviets can march to and from SU, it's just that Japan cannot

But it is hardly possible for Japan to go all the way, too much material on too narrow front

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 3/1/2021 2:14:20 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 911
RE: Empire of the Sun - 2/28/2021 6:11:00 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Me? I would keep forcing North in the SOV. If you gain Krasnovarsk, Abakan, and Wasu, the SOV units entering the map have no base, so no air cover.

If this somehow happens Sov units will have no entrance point and will stay off map forever - units can't march to/from offmap base despite what the F6 tells you, only strategic RR movement can be done. At least East Coast US base is like that.

But it is hardly possible for Japan to go all the way, too much material on too narrow front

Not so. I marched Soviet units from Alma Ata to China with no problem. No strat move is possible there for Soviet units because there is no rail link, but the paved road lets them move at 30 miles a day or 60 miles a day depending on unit type. Supply also flows from there to China.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 912
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 12:00:34 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

Me? I would keep forcing North in the SOV. If you gain Krasnovarsk, Abakan, and Wasu, the SOV units entering the map have no base, so no air cover. There are no other entry points for the SOV, meaning the late war SOV airforce doesn't exist. Yes, eventually he will march his troops out, but you will always have the advantage of an air force whereas he will not. Huge advantage ...

Pax, the Soviet Air Force will be a minimal threat until 1945 - their starting force has been largely thrashed and they don't start getting replacement aircraft in serious numbers until December 1944. Soviet ground units on the other hand, especially in infantry and artillery, will be a very serious threat and in large numbers in just a few months time as he rebuilds his divisions and organizes himself. This threat progressively grows over the next few years and explodes in mid-1945.

Basically, assuming I am able to choose my defensive positions, it is far better to deal with the primary Soviet threat in the narrow blocking positions in the mountains than to extend myself in the vulnerable plains next to his offmap entry points. There really is not much advantage in taking this advance much further.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 913
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 1:22:30 AM   
DesertWolf101

To Vlad or not to Vlad?

I am still debating with myself what to do next with regards to the Vladivostok pocket. I definitely intend to tighten the perimeter around the pocket, taking basically all the territory/bases except Voroshilov and Vladivostok as an initial step. But then what? Is it worth the casualties/supplies to seize this territory given the fact that Andy can teleport his units out when it starts looking bad for him? Is it even worth the effort to try to reduce the supplies in the pocket? Should I just leave this as a large POW camp of sorts for the next few years? What would you do?

Post #: 914
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 2:32:19 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Not so. I marched Soviet units from Alma Ata to China with no problem. No strat move is possible there for Soviet units because there is no rail link, but the paved road lets them move at 30 miles a day or 60 miles a day depending on unit type. Supply also flows from there to China.

Oh, good to know, thanks! Never used it from that side without strat movement.

Japan is not allowed to march there, can only block supply on the border. But for Soviet units it apparently also works the other way around (just checked). The last refuge!

quote:

I am still debating with myself what to do next with regards to the Vladivostok pocket. I definitely intend to tighten the perimeter around the pocket, taking basically all the territory/bases except Voroshilov and Vladivostok as an initial step. But then what? Is it worth the casualties/supplies to seize this territory given the fact that Andy can teleport his units out when it starts looking bad for him? Is it even worth the effort to try to reduce the supplies in the pocket? Should I just leave this as a large POW camp of sorts for the next few years? What would you do?

I don't know how many Soviets left there, but I'd say close all hexsides you can, put some second rate divisions to build field fortifications and leave it to its own devices. Terrain works for you just as well as for Andy. Station some heavy arty for counterbattery until field forts build up to about 4. You might not even want to bomb, almost all current Soviet bombers (except DB which are few) lack range to hop there from Irkutsk, newer ones will only arrive in Dec-44. And Allies can't stage there

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 3/1/2021 2:45:20 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 915
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 3:39:49 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Correct. I suspect that is why Alma-Ata exists ... to allow SOV forces the ability to march in unlike other off-map locations ...

Pax

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 916
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 3:50:22 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

Pax, the Soviet Air Force will be a minimal threat until 1945 - their starting force has been largely thrashed and they don't start getting replacement aircraft in serious numbers until December 1944. Soviet ground units on the other hand, especially in infantry and artillery, will be a very serious threat and in large numbers in just a few months time as he rebuilds his divisions and organizes himself. This threat progressively grows over the next few years and explodes in mid-1945.

Basically, assuming I am able to choose my defensive positions, it is far better to deal with the primary Soviet threat in the narrow blocking positions in the mountains than to extend myself in the vulnerable plains next to his offmap entry points. There really is not much advantage in taking this advance much further.

Well, if you take Abakan and Krasnovarsk, his only entry point is Wasu. That would be lousy for him as his supply is not going to flow to support too many units. He cannot move east as there are no roads, he has to move south for a LONG way before he actually gets to a rail line . You know how hard it is to get oil to flow from Urumchi, it can be done, but it take effort. Imagine the effort to get 10K supply/day to travel even longer on the same road?

IOW: you will have taken SOV out of the game for all intents and purposes ... you won't have to fight the '45 SOV or the 44 or the 43. They will be stuck in Mongolia...

Pax

Post #: 917
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 3:58:44 AM   
PaxMondo

I would use 10 or so of those tiny chutai bomber groups with Ida, set to max altitude, to get the SOV to burn up all their supply in useless AA. once they are low on supply, you can reduce and take the base.

Pax

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 918
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 6:49:12 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, if you take Abakan and Krasnovarsk, his only entry point is Wasu. That would be lousy for him as his supply is not going to flow to support too many units. He cannot move east as there are no roads, he has to move south for a LONG way before he actually gets to a rail line . You know how hard it is to get oil to flow from Urumchi, it can be done, but it take effort. Imagine the effort to get 10K supply/day to travel even longer on the same road?

IOW: you will have taken SOV out of the game for all intents and purposes ... you won't have to fight the '45 SOV or the 44 or the 43. They will be stuck in Mongolia...

You mean to tell me that the Soviet player cannot march his units across into the map like he can in the Wasu area? Wow, I didn't realize that. If that's the case then yes, I totally agree, taking Abakan and Krasnovarsk would indeed be very advantageous. Don't think I can make it there though given how many forces he pulled out and disbanded from the pocket that will be coming into the line in the next months.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 919
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 6:50:35 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

I would use 10 or so of those tiny chutai bomber groups with Ida, set to max altitude, to get the SOV to burn up all their supply in useless AA. once they are low on supply, you can reduce and take the base.

I was thinking about doing something similar to this as well. Now that the fighter threat is gone, might as well leverage the light bombers to good effect....

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 3/1/2021 6:57:44 AM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 920
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 6:57:05 AM   
DesertWolf101

Double Post

Post #: 921
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 7:00:34 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

To Vlad or not to Vlad?

It can be done, but it’s bloody. It was already bloody when I did it in my test scenario in early ‘42, and in your case you might have to face more troops than I had moved to Vlad, and better troops (less disabled squads, Rifle ‘43 squads if he decides to upgrade the units - it would cost supply, but if you’re determined to attack, it’s worth it, unless he’s very short on it). As you activated them a bit early, and without moving to isolate Vladivostok quickly, Andy might have more troops concentrated, but given the disband, situation may have evolved. Do you have good intel about his forces there ? AV, number of divisions... ?

Shore bombardment may be dangerous, but this is where Yamato and Musashi (if you’ve built them) may be useful. Vlad’s fortress is solid, but I think those two might take the counter fire, at long range. The other classes, not so much.

So, I’d wait a few more months to fully assault the pocket. Tighten the loose, increase their supply consumption.

And talk to him about the teleport.

Post #: 922
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 7:07:32 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You mean to tell me that the Soviet player cannot march his units across into the map like he can in the Wasu area? Wow, I didn't realize that. If that's the case then yes, I totally agree, taking Abakan and Krasnovarsk would indeed be very advantageous. Don't think I can make it there though given how many forces he pulled out and disbanded from the pocket that will be coming into the line in the next months.

Divisions disbanded will come back in six months, but as shells, they’ll still require to be filled up. Same with destroyed divisions, but earlier.

It also costs supply to rebuild a division, from memory around 20-30k, and time (4-6 months at best). At the moment, he also probably can’t rebuild more than a dozen destroyed divisions (plus the disbanded divisions), given the replacement rate of 400 during ‘42, and possibly less if he used the replacements to cover some losses already.

Post #: 923
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 11:56:23 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

quote:

To Vlad or not to Vlad?

It can be done, but it’s bloody. It was already bloody when I did it in my test scenario in early ‘42, and in your case you might have to face more troops than I had moved to Vlad, and better troops (less disabled squads, Rifle ‘43 squads if he decides to upgrade the units - it would cost supply, but if you’re determined to attack, it’s worth it, unless he’s very short on it). As you activated them a bit early, and without moving to isolate Vladivostok quickly, Andy might have more troops concentrated, but given the disband, situation may have evolved. Do you have good intel about his forces there ? AV, number of divisions... ?

Shore bombardment may be dangerous, but this is where Yamato and Musashi (if you’ve built them) may be useful. Vlad’s fortress is solid, but I think those two might take the counter fire, at long range. The other classes, not so much.

So, I’d wait a few more months to fully assault the pocket. Tighten the loose, increase their supply consumption.

And talk to him about the teleport.

I really have no idea at this point how many divisions or AV he has in the pocket because I am not sure how much he has disbanded. Going by pre-invasion Soviet OOB and subtracting all the divisions I have already encountered, he should have something like 10 infantry divisions in the pocket. How many of these he has disbanded is therefore the question.

I have both the Yamato and the Musashi in service. The Yamato has already done stellar work in the Aleutians and recently in Sakhalin and the Musashi was just recently commissioned.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 924
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 12:10:35 PM   
DesertWolf101

Operation Furnace

I had a chat with Andy and he made it clear that he has no intention of disbanding any more units from the Vladivostok pocket. This means that the Japanese effort to take Vladivostok, which I have dubbed Operation Furnace, is going forward.

My intention at this stage is to take Vladivostok in about a years time. This is no blitz like Siberian Winter but rather a steady and deliberate grind against entrenched forces with, inevitably, heavy Japanese casualties. A key part of this effort is the erosion of the pocket's supply which should make a huge difference in the outcome. This component of the operation will now intensify and as the Japanese offensive in the north concludes will be joined by ground operations which will hopefully conclude with the eventual storming of the key bases of Voroshilov and Vladivostok.

In terms of eroding the pocket's supply, I will use light bombers to eat into his stockpiles through the use of flak, medium bombers to target his industry and airfields for supply hits, naval bombardment against Vladivostok itself, and progressively more intensive ground operations to ramp up his consumption. Banzai!

Post #: 925
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 1:03:12 PM   
29000Kevin

quote:

Operation Furnace

I had a chat with Andy and he made it clear that he has no intention of disbanding any more units from the Vladivostok pocket. This means that the Japanese effort to take Vladivostok, which I have dubbed Operation Furnace, is going forward.

My intention at this stage is to take Vladivostok in about a years time. This is no blitz like Siberian Winter but rather a steady and deliberate grind against entrenched forces with, inevitably, heavy Japanese casualties. A key part of this effort is the erosion of the pocket's supply which should make a huge difference in the outcome. This component of the operation will now intensify and as the Japanese offensive in the north concludes will be joined by ground operations which will hopefully conclude with the eventual storming of the key bases of Voroshilov and Vladivostok.

In terms of eroding the pocket's supply, I will use light bombers to eat into his stockpiles through the use of flak, medium bombers to target his industry and airfields for supply hits, naval bombardment against Vladivostok itself, and progressively more intensive ground operations to ramp up his consumption. Banzai!

Well the siege of Vladivostok shall begin its going to be bloody and brutal and be the Soviet Union's equivalent of the Battle of Stalingrad, which is still ongoing as of December 1942.

You should also be carful to note if Andy is using planes to evacuate partial parts of the Soviet Armies trapped in their, although the last time we saw Andy sending Transport planes was in the Ceylon campaign but it was a reinforcements and all that did was send the Allies onto a free ride to a Japanese POW camp *shivers*.

Post #: 926
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 2:16:12 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

Well the siege of Vladivostok shall begin its going to be bloody and brutal and be the Soviet Union's equivalent of the Battle of Stalingrad, which is still ongoing as of December 1942.

But first it's going to be tedious and repetitive. For like a year

(in reply to 29000Kevin)
Post #: 927
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 2:58:56 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He can march any where, but look at the roads ... not much supply is going to move. So, no matter what he / where he goes, until he gets Abakan or Krasnovarsk liberated, he is going to be fighting with NO air force AND a supply shortage ... IJ can win those fights.

Pax

Post #: 928
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 3:02:56 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

Maybe, but maybe not. Supply shortage negates the huge firepower advantage that SOV has, so then it is just AV and IJ can match/beat the AV numbers. If he drops forts each attack, then 15 or so attacks (max) and it should be done once supply is low. This is like CK only less AV ... I think totally doable once the firepower is negated.

Pax

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 929
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/1/2021 3:21:10 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe, but maybe not. Supply shortage negates the huge firepower advantage that SOV has, so then it is just AV and IJ can match/beat the AV numbers. If he drops forts each attack, then 15 or so attacks (max) and it should be done once supply is low. This is like CK only less AV ... I think totally doable once the firepower is negated.

If it gives any sense of comparison, in my test, it took roughly 5 months for over 20 IJA divisions, with numerous supporting tanks & artillery, and bombers, with a December ‘41 start. For the Soviet, there were roughly 3000 AV and 300k supplies in Voroshilov/Vladivostok.
Roughly an attack per week, massive casualties at first, but supplies dropped fast, and casualties were less severe once the lack of supply showed (and with reduced forts).

Off course, it was the starting ‘41 Rifle squads, with partly disabled units. Voroshilov might have higher forts in your game, and there might be more Soviet AV (supplies, is the Intel at 1 trillion yen). Your units might be of higher XP too, overall, given your use of them earlier.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI