Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Empire of the Sun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/13/2021 7:49:21 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

I don't think he can sustain that kind of losses for the heavies : 34 of 141 a 24% loss rate.

Btw what was the AA in your base for the 4 kills?

I had only two AA battalions at Indore, but another two regiments and three battalions arrived in the base during the movement phase. I am hoping for a bit of a reprieve to allow the newly arrived AA to unpack and for some of the runway damage to be repaired. In addition to the destroyed 4Es I am hoping I damaged enough of them to prevent another really large attack next turn but we shall see.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 1051
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/13/2021 1:05:45 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 27, 1943

Surprisingly enough, the air war over India intensified further this turn even after yesterday’s intense action. Andy changed the game a little by sending in mass sweeps over Indore after a wave of night bombing that harassed and fatigued my pilots. With the exception of the F4U-1 that made its first appearance, the Allied fighters were no match for the Japanese aces. That Corsair though was something else, and I can’t wait for the arrival of the George to counter it.

Andy rested his American medium bombers but not his heavies. The B-24 and B-17 bombers shifted target to Cawnpore and this time they were aided by Russian SB-2 bombers. A Tojo Sentai was on station to help disrupt their aim and tear into the Russian bombers after dealing with the initial Wildcat sweep.

I am hoping for a lull in the action of a day or two as my fighter pilots are starting to get exhausted. I take pilot management very seriously and I dislike sending fatigued pilots into combat.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 3/13/2021 1:07:11 PM >

(in reply to DesertWolf101)
Post #: 1052
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/13/2021 1:54:25 PM   
castor troy

Crazy losses. Allied can't afford such kind of losses over a longer period especially when IJ pilot losses are low due to fighting over IJ bases.

Post #: 1053
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/13/2021 10:08:28 PM   
jdsrae

Your fighter pilots won’t want to stay on the ground resting while there are targets like that available.

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 1054
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/14/2021 6:39:05 AM   
DesertWolf101

True enough, but I was also thinking about how he could potentially wear me down with continuous pressure where the lopsided losses are no longer possible. Andy has a substantial quantitative advantage over me in India that I am wary off.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 1055
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/14/2021 6:49:10 AM   
DesertWolf101

January 28-29, 1943

I got my lull in India which allowed me to start resting my pilots and repair airfield damage. Enemy forces have seized an abandoned Gwalior and are about to seize Surat from a tiny Japanese rearguard. I am trying to delay as much as possible to get the time I need for the reinforcements from the Soviet Union to arrive.

Speaking of the Soviet front, the Yamato task force is leaving port today to head back to its bombardment duties. Andy however is keeping a large number of submarines on station and has even dropped some mines from TB-3 bombers to block Rashin port. I was surprised to see my CAP there fail to intercept the bombers - not sure if it is not impossible to intercept bombers on minelaying duties or if bad weather and a bad die roll prevented the fighters from finding the bombers

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 3/14/2021 6:50:00 AM >

Post #: 1056
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/14/2021 3:15:08 PM   
DesertWolf101

January 30, 1943

Enemy heavy bombers plastered Allahabad which paved the way for a Chindit Brigade to drop in and take the base. I had a third of an extremely experienced division there but the bombing was too much and the Japanese unit was pushed back. Gah!

My pilots were rested enough so I decided to mount some sweeps of my own. Results are displayed below.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1057
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/15/2021 12:44:24 AM   
DesertWolf101

January 31, 1943

Having seized Allahabad, Andy railed in a substantial force to the base and more are coming. He also caught me on the back foot at Cawnpore and destroyed a large number of Japanese aircraft on the ground with his heavy bombers. He is leveraging the paratrooper and heavy bomber combination to good effect.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 3/15/2021 1:12:24 PM >

Post #: 1058
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/15/2021 12:47:46 AM   
DesertWolf101

In the meantime, the KB emerged out of the shadows near Karachi and sunk a troop laden convoy. I think the results displayed below are pretty wildly inflated in terms of destroyed/damaged devices. Still, I suspect I destroyed an infantry brigade which if true is nothing to scoff at.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1059
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/15/2021 1:17:31 PM   
DesertWolf101

February 1, 1943

I resumed battleship bombardments of Vladivostok and the mines already are an issue. One of my destroyers slams into one and is heavily damaged.

The situation in India remains quite tense as the Allies rush forward all over the map. I am trying to stay ahead of Andy's forces but the Allies move very fast. I got some respite from the heavy bombers today due to adverse weather and for my part I took the opportunity to hit hard one of Andy's forward airbases that he used for transport aircraft when he weakened its defenses. The result is below.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 3/15/2021 1:18:10 PM >

Post #: 1060
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 1:10:16 AM   
DesertWolf101

Defending Burma

Now that I am pulling back my forces in India I am starting to think a lot more about how I will go about defending in Burma. I would love some advice on how I should go about it. Here are the main questions I have on the issue:

1) Where do I set my main defensive line? My inclination is to defend in the x3 terrain as much as possible, but where? Is the Imphal to Ledo line too risky?
2) I believe the Monsoon kicks off in May. Is this generally more disadvantageous for the attacking allies or the defending Japanese?
3) How easily does supply flow into the Mandalay plain from India?

What else should I be aware off?

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 3/16/2021 1:12:11 AM >

Post #: 1061
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 1:19:46 AM   
RangerJoe

Just pull back to Thailand and you won't have to worry about it.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 1062
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 5:52:04 AM   
PaxMondo

Actually not bad advice. The issue with Burma is all about Amphib assault south of you (map view). Once the allies wrest control of the seas, Burma is a potential death trap. Thailand not much better. So, its not about the land defense, its prepping for loss of control of the sea and then where are your MLD's.

Hanoi/Haiphong area is a pretty safe place to defend from. Even if the allies land around HK, you should still be able to get your forces east before the RR lines are cut.

Not suggesting you cede everything, but you need an evac plan for everything west of Hanoi that you want to save ... and you should try to save most of your units. Having pulled all those resources out of India/Burma for so many months, the idea is not to lose your army in exchange. If you do, then the allies got the better of it. If you don't, you are in a good position for the late war: you got a lot of resources for your economy AND you have intact forces to defend with.

Pax

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1063
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 7:51:09 AM   
Evoken

Desertwolf has naval superiority for at least 1 more year , abandoning Burma without a fight would only help Andy Mac. So far in my game supply in NE Burma has been really rough , only viable way to supply troops is invading through coastal route , I would put a strong garrison on the one of the JR hexes to road that leads to Prome

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1064
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 8:10:40 AM   
DesertWolf101

Sound advice Pax, but Evoken is right. As long as I don't mess things up, I should have a notable edge at sea until the end of 1943. Certainly when I no longer feel secure from an attack from the sea I will pull back, but for now I want to hold him in Burma and keep him as far away as possible.

I anticipate he will bring a massive army into Burma so hopefully that will make supplying it even more difficult. Holding the coastal road will definitely be done with strong Japanese forces, what I am struggling a bit with is where to stop him in the hinterland where he could attempt to reach the Mandalay plain by crossing the mountains. Is supplying a large force through those mountains very difficult during the Monsoon?

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 1065
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 8:12:08 AM   
jdsrae

Don’t all roads lead to Prome?

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 1066
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 8:13:50 AM   
Evoken

i am having major supply issue in my game and its not even monsoon season yet

Post #: 1067
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 8:19:16 AM   
jdsrae

I attacked cross country into India through that terrain and just kept dumping supply into Rangoon to keep supply up.
That would be more difficult to do when withdrawing as Allied bombers will probably go after those ships.

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 1068
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 8:20:08 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

Don’t all roads lead to Prome?

Ha yeah seems to be a recurring theme in other AARs. Am currently building its fortifications up as a fall back position.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 1069
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 8:20:45 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

i am having major supply issue in my game and its not even monsoon season yet

Interesting...

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 1070
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 10:00:08 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101

Very-very hard, even if no monsoon. Allies need at least Ramree as a supply dump, or invade in the Rangoon area

Post #: 1071
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 2:51:32 PM   
Bif1961

A map would be helpful is giving any advice in defense of Burma. Supply and control of the sea is always the issue as stated by yourself and others here. I understand your desire to trade space for time and since you anticipate control of the seas for 6-12 more months, then you have time to fall back slower,as long as supplies hold out. I would suggest holding out initially along the river north of Lashio, Mandalay, Magwe to Prome, with garrisons left in Akyab and Cox'Bazar to slow his advance along the coast. Take and hold Ramree Island as he can use that as a major supply base once he has the naval advantage and of course Prome. Once this line is no longer viable, them Moulmein, Tavoy and along that river line and coast to defend against a landing south to cut you off from a road ling to Thailand.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 1072
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 6:30:55 PM   
Ambassador

Given your situation, I would not abandon Burma without a fight. However, the Imphal line would be hard to defend, as your supply will be much harder to push forward than the Allies’supply. But as long as you have the control of the seas, you could keep forces in Calcutta, if you have enough troops to divert there (and depending on your fort levels). As a Urban Heavy hex, surrounded by rivers on all sides, it can hold some time, and monopolize more troops than you leave there, and represent a threat on Andy’s spearhead. This is IMHO the only way an Imphal-Dimapur line could hold.

As such, Burma doesn’t hold a great importance right now. The Chinese are out, so no need to reopen the supply road to Lashio, and no sane player would dream of liberating China by passing through Lashio/Tsuyung. Fuel production is anecdotal compared to Abadan’s. Supplying the armies will be harder, especially as long as KB looms unchecked. By the time he could have pushed you back to Rangoon/Moulmein, he’ll have CV parity.

And what does it represent to you ? Fuel production is anecdotal compared to Palembang’s. Rangoon has some nice VP, but I don’t think either of you is playing for the points anymore.

So, why attack there ? Beyond India, the Allies need naval parity or superiority to feed a large land force. Moving supplies from India to southern Burma might be much easier than IRL, but it’s still not enough, and KB is a big threat on naval supplying, as you’ve demonstrated countless times. From my point of view, the main reason to do so is to force you to commit troops to defend.

In ‘43, the Allies receive half a dozen good infantry divisions.Andy won’t need them to push you on land, but they may represent a good force to strike at Java/Sumatra at the end of the year, or early ‘44, once he has the CV to cover his attack. Between the USSR and India taking most of your land forces, it may be reasoned that you don’t have many heavy troops to defend the southern DEI (or the Pacific).

Which Allied divisions have you identified in India ?

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 1073
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 6:59:06 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

A map would be helpful is giving any advice in defense of Burma. Supply and control of the sea is always the issue as stated by yourself and others here. I understand your desire to trade space for time and since you anticipate control of the seas for 6-12 more months, then you have time to fall back slower,as long as supplies hold out. I would suggest holding out initially along the river north of Lashio, Mandalay, Magwe to Prome, with garrisons left in Akyab and Cox'Bazar to slow his advance along the coast. Take and hold Ramree Island as he can use that as a major supply base once he has the naval advantage and of course Prome. Once this line is no longer viable, them Moulmein, Tavoy and along that river line and coast to defend against a landing south to cut you off from a road ling to Thailand.

Some good suggestions here, thanks Bif1961

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 1074
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 7:06:24 PM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

Given your situation, I would not abandon Burma without a fight. However, the Imphal line would be hard to defend, as your supply will be much harder to push forward than the Allies’supply. But as long as you have the control of the seas, you could keep forces in Calcutta, if you have enough troops to divert there (and depending on your fort levels). As a Urban Heavy hex, surrounded by rivers on all sides, it can hold some time, and monopolize more troops than you leave there, and represent a threat on Andy’s spearhead. This is IMHO the only way an Imphal-Dimapur line could hold.

As such, Burma doesn’t hold a great importance right now. The Chinese are out, so no need to reopen the supply road to Lashio, and no sane player would dream of liberating China by passing through Lashio/Tsuyung. Fuel production is anecdotal compared to Abadan’s. Supplying the armies will be harder, especially as long as KB looms unchecked. By the time he could have pushed you back to Rangoon/Moulmein, he’ll have CV parity.

And what does it represent to you ? Fuel production is anecdotal compared to Palembang’s. Rangoon has some nice VP, but I don’t think either of you is playing for the points anymore.

So, why attack there ? Beyond India, the Allies need naval parity or superiority to feed a large land force. Moving supplies from India to southern Burma might be much easier than IRL, but it’s still not enough, and KB is a big threat on naval supplying, as you’ve demonstrated countless times. From my point of view, the main reason to do so is to force you to commit troops to defend.

In ‘43, the Allies receive half a dozen good infantry divisions.Andy won’t need them to push you on land, but they may represent a good force to strike at Java/Sumatra at the end of the year, or early ‘44, once he has the CV to cover his attack. Between the USSR and India taking most of your land forces, it may be reasoned that you don’t have many heavy troops to defend the southern DEI (or the Pacific).

Which Allied divisions have you identified in India ?

Not including Indian ones, the Allied divisions I have positively identified in India are the 6th and 7th Australian, 2nd and 18th British, 1st Marine division, and 32nd and Americal US divisions. I am certain he has at least three more US divisions in India too.

I do in fact intend to hold Calcutta in force and will make it very hard for him to take it. Do you think holding the city goes a long way in affecting Allied supply flow to Burma?

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 1075
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 7:13:35 PM   
castor troy

quote:

Defending Burma

Now that I am pulling back my forces in India I am starting to think a lot more about how I will go about defending in Burma. I would love some advice on how I should go about it. Here are the main questions I have on the issue:

1) Where do I set my main defensive line? My inclination is to defend in the x3 terrain as much as possible, but where? Is the Imphal to Ledo line too risky?
2) I believe the Monsoon kicks off in May. Is this generally more disadvantageous for the attacking allies or the defending Japanese?

What else should I be aware off?

The best defense of Burma is the destruction of the Allied in India...

Post #: 1076
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/16/2021 10:54:50 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Sound advice Pax, but Evoken is right. As long as I don't mess things up, I should have a notable edge at sea until the end of 1943. Certainly when I no longer feel secure from an attack from the sea I will pull back, but for now I want to hold him in Burma and keep him as far away as possible.

I anticipate he will bring a massive army into Burma so hopefully that will make supplying it even more difficult. Holding the coastal road will definitely be done with strong Japanese forces, what I am struggling a bit with is where to stop him in the hinterland where he could attempt to reach the Mandalay plain by crossing the mountains. Is supplying a large force through those mountains very difficult during the Monsoon?

Agreed.

My point is that via ground, barring a bad miss step on your part, it is difficult to lose much. It requires encirclement which is easiest done via amphib landing. So long as you own the seas, you are pretty safe. Once you lose that though, it completely flips the analysis: safe havens are hard to find/create ...

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 3/17/2021 1:24:49 AM >

Pax

Post #: 1077
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/17/2021 1:23:32 AM   
PaxMondo

dup

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 3/17/2021 1:25:14 AM >

Pax

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1078
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/17/2021 2:37:18 PM   
DanielAClark

I dont see why Andy would invade Burma...there is limited value in doing so. China is already out...and he wont make much progress until he has naval superiority, at which point other, more important targets become more vulnerable.

I would expect Andy to clean out India...then prepare a 'second front' in the Central or Southern Pacific for late 1943 or early 1944.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 1079
RE: Empire of the Sun - 3/17/2021 4:54:22 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanielAClark
I dont see why Andy would invade Burma...there is limited value in doing so. China is already out...and he wont make much progress until he has naval superiority, at which point other, more important targets become more vulnerable.

Allied ground forces need something to do, and Burma is the only place available without amphibious capabilities. Even more so given the decimated state of Allied naval assets

AFAIR no AAR ever went without Burma front in 43-44

(in reply to DanielAClark)
Post #: 1080
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Empire of the Sun Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI