Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Aircraft

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: Aircraft Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aircraft - 7/7/2020 6:53:44 AM   
CreeperDelta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maerchen

You can opt out in the planet generation phase. Arid planets, no ships. Thin or no atmosphere, no aircrafts.

Well said!

< Message edited by CreeperDelta -- 7/7/2020 6:57:33 AM >

(in reply to CreeperDelta)
Post #: 31
RE: Aircraft - 7/7/2020 9:53:55 AM   
Journier

All i can say is i hope they are based from cities or forward airstrips, and can be called in as needed for a sortie to help win a fight, and arent standing units on the map.

(in reply to CreeperDelta)
Post #: 32
RE: Aircraft - 7/7/2020 11:16:03 AM   
oscarius

I have mixed thoughts on the addition of aircraft. Really wouldn't it serve the same role as artillery/rockets? Metal and ammo for the chance to get some free hits on enemy-held hexes? Maybe it could start out as a simple reconnaissance type asset (akin to the role of WW1 aviation) then evolve into a way to cripple enemy mines and farming assets. I wouldn't be a huge fan of it as a tactical tool so much as it is just another metal-intensive offensive tool that reduces the need for envelopment and encirclement. If it were to be added I'd rather see air superiority giving minor-to-moderate firepower bonuses and reconnaissance (fighters could behave similarly to artillery, coming into play with their own combat phase when rival air assets are deployed offensively against the hex).

Navies on the other hand could open up a lot of strategic possibilities. Primarily, and the main advantage of naval power historically, would be the ability to speedily land and supply expeditionary forces (who should take a huge readiness hit even if they manage to land ashore unopposed). Shore bombardments could also prove useful on certain maps. On the other hand a navy will essentially be a worthless resource sink on 90% of current planets generated. Sea logistics + AI could also prove.. interesting to develop without outright cheating. Water-heavy worlds would probably require the addition of deep sea oil, fishing assets (planet evolution permitting) and other goodies to encourage investment and competition.

On the whole I could see both of these be a struggle to balance and introduce to the AI. If the dev cannot find a way to do this then there is no shame in not adding them at all rather than them proving either useless or overpowered.

(in reply to Journier)
Post #: 33
RE: Aircraft - 7/8/2020 9:12:32 AM   
Erdoszb

Hey Vic,
Anubis bless you for the navy/air-force implementations, sooner than later SE will be the perfect strategy game (or something very close to that)!

< Message edited by Erdoszb -- 7/8/2020 9:13:28 AM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 34
RE: Aircraft - 7/8/2020 4:09:03 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vic

I think seen the diverging opinions I might make it so that those extra theaters can be disabled for players who want to play only with land, or only land+air or land+sea

You are a very rare breed, indeed. A player's developer.

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> RE: Aircraft Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI