Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Experience Feedback

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Experience Feedback Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Experience Feedback - 7/3/2020 11:27:49 PM   
rwbrown

After a number of games going through each of the beta updates, I figured it was time to catalog some feedback.

1) Game Creation
This process is frustrating the say the least. Every metric and component is tied to another, but it isn't clear exactly how. Only via trial an error can you determine how to "roll" a world that you desire. Given enough time, you can eventually play the game you want. While I get the idea is to give folks an "experience" that eventually passes and you might want to run a "scenario". But there is no map or scenario editor. You cannot truly customize a world, or give it any parameters. You cannot even determine your starting location!
Resolutions:
-A new "custom" planet type can be created that allows the players to create an entirely unique planet.
-The "custom" planet would use a new scenario generator (likely a modification of masterfile.se1master) with new UI sliders that allow the player to change gravity, biosphere, colonization, etc.
-The "custom" scenario would then generate a planet as close as possible that met those criteria. The player could then regenerate repeatedly until they found a world of preference.
This resolves any issues around world size, number of opposing empires, etc.
-Even without the "custom" scenario, the player should still be able to determine starting location, and reroll colonization. Its frustrating to get to the very last step of the game generation process to find out half the world is nuked/is raiders, etc.

2) UI Elements
The UI is trying very hard to do a great many things.
-The left bar should have the Regime profile and SHQ inventory consolidated into one view, and the other two views (unit and quick zone) removed. Having to constantly switch between essential elements is unnecessary clicks.
-Unit administration from the right bar should be moved to the bottom when the unit is selected. Why is there two different locations for unit management?
-Reports: There is simply too much data to be processed into information. Some of this needs to be abstracted into usable information and prompts rather than endless reams of reports. If you are the leader of a nation, you would have people to do this for you. If I have 60+ reports in a turn, there is no way i'm reading 60 reports.
-Reports 2: The entire report structure is simply overwhelming. Overviews, letterbox, organizations, zones, HQs. The entire report system needs tooltips and information to say "soft cap reached, reduction of x% incurred" and whatnot.
-The top bar you can put history and vid under reports, consolidating management and map to two buttons. I'm not even sure what OOB does in any meaningful way, as well as stats. They can be truncated under reports. The goal of these changes is to reduce clicks on items that are used every single turn and to conserve UI space for essential elements.

3) Unexplained behavior
Why do traders have 3000 credits one turn but none the next?
Why do you start with factions that are opposite to your starting choices?
Why is there not a budget indicator to tell you when you are exceeding the soft cap and each additional BP will incur a penalty?
Why is there no means to edit or manipulate an ongoing game in any capacity? ie: why are the single player save games encrypted?
(this seems particularly obtuse)

This is a short list. I know others have made similar lists of feedback and suggestions. I think we all want the same thing - for the game to be as fun as possible. There is fun to be had. But there is alot of work to get there currently and that is frustrating.
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Experience Feedback Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI