Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

runs very poorly in Windows 10

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> runs very poorly in Windows 10 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
runs very poorly in Windows 10 - 7/4/2020 3:31:33 AM   
maxb

game seems really exceptionally thought out as a Game. capital G

problem is that on my computer I've got about 10 minutes of gameplay out of it on any of my systems, now I run Windows 10 and it just ... frankly guys this program can't seem to stay running more than 5 minutes.

it just isn't working. if I could choose "this game stops malfunctioning" and "refund my money" I'd vastly prefer to just enjoy the game - what's the deal?

am I alone in this?

if not I'll send email out but honestly at this point I am just a little confused why a game that doesn't work whatsoever on modern Windows machines is being sold and people aren't allowed to get their money back for a product that doesn't work?

again, I'd much rather this product work because it seems like the best available option for this type of scenario
Post #: 1
RE: runs very poorly in Windows 10 - 7/4/2020 3:39:35 AM   
kbfchicago

Max, see the sticky thread above in this (Technical) forum called "Slow Performance". Apply switches to application startup as recommended.

The game runs just fine under Win10, just have to tweak it a bit since it was not designed to do so (e.g. multi-cpu processes, etc.)

Kevin

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 2
RE: runs very poorly in Windows 10 - 7/4/2020 3:39:39 AM   
Nomad

It will run under Windows 10, but it needs a bit of tweaking. I would suggest you get SeaBee Alpha, found here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4415089

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 3
RE: runs very poorly in Windows 10 - 7/4/2020 5:30:26 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: maxb

game seems really exceptionally thought out as a Game. capital G

problem is that on my computer I've got about 10 minutes of gameplay out of it on any of my systems, now I run Windows 10 and it just ... frankly guys this program can't seem to stay running more than 5 minutes.

it just isn't working. if I could choose "this game stops malfunctioning" and "refund my money" I'd vastly prefer to just enjoy the game - what's the deal?

am I alone in this?

if not I'll send email out but honestly at this point I am just a little confused why a game that doesn't work whatsoever on modern Windows machines is being sold and people aren't allowed to get their money back for a product that doesn't work?

again, I'd much rather this product work because it seems like the best available option for this type of scenario

For context, the game is 10+ years old and the game engine (the part that computes outcomes) goes back many years before that. An application (in this case, the game) runs using hooks into the Operating System (OS) which works with the way the computer chips are designed. In the many years since the game engine was created, the chips and OS hooks have changed, and video display hardware/drivers has gotten a lot more complex.

To make the game work with modern systems the developers were smart enough to make "switches" to bridge the old to the new. Because there are so many different configurations of computer chips/display card/monitors and OSs out there, the exact switches that will make your system run best requires a bit of experimentation. You can do this by changing them one by one. It will not affect your game permanently - you can always delete switches.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to maxb)
Post #: 4
RE: runs very poorly in Windows 10 - 7/7/2020 7:58:45 PM   
moore4807

MaxB - perhaps if you gave us your computer system components, we might be able to troubleshoot your problem a little better. Like the others have pointed out here the switches in the game are almost mandatory nowadays but the game runs fine once the switches are set properly.

If you are a wargaming fan, this game will overwhelm you in the beginning with its depth and integration of ALL formats of fighting in the Pacific - fortunately there are players who have posted guides and recommended settings to play by for your education. This game is awesome! even after 10 years I'm still playing both PBEM and solo.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: runs very poorly in Windows 10 - 7/16/2020 7:19:13 AM   
Ian R

I wonder if Max has his switches sorted out.

It might be worth mentioning that they go in the target line in a shortcut linked straight to the exe, not the batch file that pops up the cover screen.

TLDR:

Right click the .exe file, create a shortcut, and paste this in the target line.

quote:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -wd -skipVideo -deepColor -dd_sw -cpu2 -pxf1920 -pyf1080 -archive -altFont -autosave

Couple of other things - the switches work with the latest official patch, which is version 1.26a. The target line above is for that official version and a standard install.

There is a beta patch to version 1.26b available in this forum (technical area). It actually creates a shortcut to the beta exe file, and the target line in it should look something like:

quote:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -wd -skipVideo -deepColor -dd_sw -cpu2 -pxf1872-pyf1053 -archive -altFont -autosave

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> runs very poorly in Windows 10 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI