Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Battle of Britain

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Battle of Britain Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Battle of Britain - 7/28/2020 10:57:20 AM   
stuart3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Hey Ormster, can you give the title of the book you've got that info from please?

Many thanks

See point 4 in this article.
https://www.historyextra.com/period/second-world-war/battle-britain-ww2-myths-facts-raf-royal-air-force-luftwaffe/

I'll get back to you on the book after I've checked if there is an English version of it.

The book is The Battle of Britain: An Epic Conflict Revisited by Christer Bergström. I have purchased a copy and read far enough into it to cover his comparisons on the fighters. Bergström's comparison of the spitfire and 109 is fascinating, but his championing of the 110 seems to be quite selective. He does indeed argue that "The idea was to dispatch these twin-engined fighter aircraft in advance, at a high altitude over the intended bombing target area, to clear the air of enemy fighters before the bombers arrived. In fact, when used in that way, the Messerschmitt Bf 110 was quite successful", but doesn't say when or where that tactic was used successfully. It may have worked well over Poland or France against their more dated fighters, but I don't see how it could have cleared the skies over target cities during the battle of Britain. The use of the Chain Home RDF meant that there was no need for the RAF to maintain standing patrols over southern cities. Raids, including those by Bf 110s were normally intercepted by fighters vectored onto them by their controllers before they reached their targets.

Bergström also claims that turning was a defensive tactic and that diving on an enemy from height was the standard attacking technique but doesn't mention that the 110s were frequently reported by RAF pilots to have formed defensive circles or explain why an apparently successful offensive fighter plane should have found such a defensive tactic necessary.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 121
RE: Battle of Britain - 7/28/2020 3:54:16 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuart3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Hey Ormster, can you give the title of the book you've got that info from please?

Many thanks

See point 4 in this article.
https://www.historyextra.com/period/second-world-war/battle-britain-ww2-myths-facts-raf-royal-air-force-luftwaffe/

I'll get back to you on the book after I've checked if there is an English version of it.

The book is The Battle of Britain: An Epic Conflict Revisited by Christer Bergström. I have purchased a copy and read far enough into it to cover his comparisons on the fighters. Bergström's comparison of the spitfire and 109 is fascinating, but his championing of the 110 seems to be quite selective. He does indeed argue that "The idea was to dispatch these twin-engined fighter aircraft in advance, at a high altitude over the intended bombing target area, to clear the air of enemy fighters before the bombers arrived. In fact, when used in that way, the Messerschmitt Bf 110 was quite successful", but doesn't say when or where that tactic was used successfully. It may have worked well over Poland or France against their more dated fighters, but I don't see how it could have cleared the skies over target cities during the battle of Britain. The use of the Chain Home RDF meant that there was no need for the RAF to maintain standing patrols over southern cities. Raids, including those by Bf 110s were normally intercepted by fighters vectored onto them by their controllers before they reached their targets.

Bergström also claims that turning was a defensive tactic and that diving on an enemy from height was the standard attacking technique but doesn't mention that the 110s were frequently reported by RAF pilots to have formed defensive circles or explain why an apparently successful offensive fighter plane should have found such a defensive tactic necessary.

Thank you for the summary, stuart3. Very helpful. I think I understand enough about the revisionist verity of Bergstrom's book now.

@Warspite1: I was positing earlier about *how* the Me-110 could have purportedly derived a 1.5:1 kill ratio in the absence of the specific documentation requested. I think there's enough evidence to suggest that it *wasn't* possible for the Me-110 in BOB, but *could have* been possible if one considered the entire war and the usage of that airframe until 1945. Again, I don't have any verifiable facts and figures in front of me to know that, just an accumulation of anecdotal and summarized reports.

(in reply to stuart3)
Post #: 122
RE: Battle of Britain - 7/28/2020 4:07:11 PM   
Rebel Yell

quote:

warspite1

Why do you suggest that a post that adds nothing (other than a cryptic statement about many ((unspecificed) comments being moronic) be the final post?

There is nothing in the thread, as far as I know, that is against the rules of the forum, just a bunch of posters happy to give their views, opinions and comment on an interesting topic. So what's got you so upset you want it ended?

People are definitely welcome to opine, debate, and whatever they like. It's an internet forum.

This topic has had some intelligent points made, but there are also quite a few that make an aircraft grog cringe.

I should have stopped reading this post and never said anything, so carry on.

The OP has dropped back in and declared the Spit as winner anyway...

I used to enjoy these forums. So many people that need the green dot now.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 123
RE: Battle of Britain - 7/28/2020 6:46:07 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel Yell

quote:

warspite1

Why do you suggest that a post that adds nothing (other than a cryptic statement about many ((unspecificed) comments being moronic) be the final post?

There is nothing in the thread, as far as I know, that is against the rules of the forum, just a bunch of posters happy to give their views, opinions and comment on an interesting topic. So what's got you so upset you want it ended?

People are definitely welcome to opine, debate, and whatever they like. It's an internet forum.

This topic has had some intelligent points made, but there are also quite a few that make an aircraft grog cringe.

Where you live, everybody has a right to their own opinion. There is also freedom of speech which has also been taken to mean the written words. But that does not mean that you have to express that opinion thus removing all doubt . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 124
RE: Battle of Britain - 7/28/2020 7:25:03 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel Yell

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

But you are a member of this community. If you consider yourself to be an aircraft grog too, it would have been doubly good to hear your input into this debate - certainly better than simply advocating it get shut off because you don't agree with some of the things being put forward.

Care to give your 2 cents?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Battle of Britain Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI