Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/24/2020 1:00:58 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

After thinking about it, I did it.

Bought out the 2nd Air HQa. China will be the beneficiary.

Did you transfer all or almost all of the air support units to the 2nd Air HQa first? That frees them up for a lot fewer points. If not, you get the 4th Air HQa coming soon.

No, don't want to spend the points on them when they will mostly be going to China. Plan on really cranking on the turn today, perhaps the first really solid amount of time I have been able to spend on it.

I am planning on a KB strike on Singapore and area. I normally would never do something like this, as I feel that Pearl strike is integral to the game, but this is such an odd no HR game might as well make it really odd. Will be looking to hit Boise and or Houston on day 1 too, along with Marblehead.

Concerning an attack on Soviets, I won't rule it out, but it seems unlikely since India will most likely be boosted by well fed Chinese Corps, especially if he stages a strong retreat.

I feel sorry for China, instead of some chance they will have zero chance until they get to India. I have no clue what Burma/India might potentially look like in 4 months time, and feel I need to keep open the full invasion of India by sea power.

I want to absolutely grab the SRA resources as fast as possible. I am thinking of using a magic TF to take Wake on turn 1, since it could prove troublesome otherwise. I would like Midway, especially as I think it makes for great ambush potential in 1942 and 1943....but that is low on the list.

This will leave the primary opponent, the USN basically untouched except for a piddling amount at Manila. I am hoping this will cause the Allies to be too aggressive with those slow BBs allowing me to sink a few for little cost in early 1942 or that he launches an offensive too early in mid to late 42 thinking his fleet is stronger than in reality what it is...floating victory points.

Sound evil dictator laugh...muh ha ha!

Unfortunately, it won't go smoothly. Lok has huge amounts of no HR experience....and I have none. In addition, I don't think that way.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/24/2020 1:17:04 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 61
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/24/2020 6:00:01 PM   
RangerJoe

If you might intentionally take on the Soviets, there is a base two hexes away from two bases in Siberia that have only NKVD regiments. Build the airfield so you can station a bunch of bombers there and use paratroopers to take at least one base on the initial attack, the second on on the next day if possible. Doing so will cut the rail line to the coast and it is a long march from there. Build up Hailar and use that to attack Mongolia.

Three sea invasions, two for Sakhalin Island (or maybe just one if you fight through a fortress) but also the base at the river mouth where you can then sail up the river and take the base there. That base has the only on map air factories for the Soviets. The IL-2 which is producing right away and another bomber coming in later. I don't know what emergency reinforcements (if any) that the Soviets take.

There are other bases that are unoccupied on the way to the large 1200 LI production center, good for paratroopers. By cutting off a lot of the resources, that LI won't produce supplies every turn. By bombing the units in Mongolia after wiping out the air force in the area, that will increase the supply demand. Too many mouths to feed and not enough bullets.

Drive in from China to Alma Alta (?) to grab that rail line not far from China. I don't have my map open for more, but I might try something like this in 1942 or 1943 against the AI.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 62
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/24/2020 7:07:27 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

If you might intentionally take on the Soviets, there is a base two hexes away from two bases in Siberia that have only NKVD regiments. Build the airfield so you can station a bunch of bombers there and use paratroopers to take at least one base on the initial attack, the second on on the next day if possible. Doing so will cut the rail line to the coast and it is a long march from there. Build up Hailar and use that to attack Mongolia.

Cutting the RR can be done by the timed border crossing in multiple places. Much easier and more reliable than paras. Japan can easily time the arrival of all the crossings in the same turn, the one when the war with Soviets start. Sure your opponent would observe the directional indicators (and sigint) for some time, but he will not be able to do anything until Soviets are activated.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 63
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/24/2020 8:22:41 PM   
RangerJoe

Yes, you can cut the RR just by being the sole occupant of the hex. But I do believe that one of those links to a couple of bases by grey road which do produce resources. Also, those bases do have size 2 airfields. Capture them and it is harder for the Soviet air forces to redeploy to counter the push into Mongolia and beyond.

With no house rules, super duper size Kates and Vals then have them train for ground bombing to smash the Soviet forces there and then in Mongolia.

Mines laid in Vlad the night that you attack the Soviet Union could help keep the fleet in port.

― Julia Child

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 64
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/24/2020 9:02:16 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

quote:

After thinking about it, I did it.

Bought out the 2nd Air HQa. China will be the beneficiary.

Did you transfer all or almost all of the air support units to the 2nd Air HQa first? That frees them up for a lot fewer points. If not, you get the 4th Air HQa coming soon.

No, don't want to spend the points on them when they will mostly be going to China. Plan on really cranking on the turn today, perhaps the first really solid amount of time I have been able to spend on it.

I am planning on a KB strike on Singapore and area. I normally would never do something like this, as I feel that Pearl strike is integral to the game, but this is such an odd no HR game might as well make it really odd. Will be looking to hit Boise and or Houston on day 1 too, along with Marblehead.

Concerning an attack on Soviets, I won't rule it out, but it seems unlikely since India will most likely be boosted by well fed Chinese Corps, especially if he stages a strong retreat.

I feel sorry for China, instead of some chance they will have zero chance until they get to India. I have no clue what Burma/India might potentially look like in 4 months time, and feel I need to keep open the full invasion of India by sea power.

I want to absolutely grab the SRA resources as fast as possible. I am thinking of using a magic TF to take Wake on turn 1, since it could prove troublesome otherwise. I would like Midway, especially as I think it makes for great ambush potential in 1942 and 1943....but that is low on the list.

This will leave the primary opponent, the USN basically untouched except for a piddling amount at Manila. I am hoping this will cause the Allies to be too aggressive with those slow BBs allowing me to sink a few for little cost in early 1942 or that he launches an offensive too early in mid to late 42 thinking his fleet is stronger than in reality what it is...floating victory points.

Sound evil dictator laugh...muh ha ha!

Unfortunately, it won't go smoothly. Lok has huge amounts of no HR experience....and I have none. In addition, I don't think that way.

That all sounds wise to my ears. Soviets is gifting Loka a nice ground war on his terms to fight, so avoid that.

I've not known Loka to make a substantial play for Burma in early 1942, and have left it on the backburner till after Singapore myself to no serious side effects.

I'm not sure that Loka is the type of player to be overly aggressive with his fleet in the early game. He'll certainly fight, but it will absolutely be underpinned by solid preparation. Otherwise I think you might find his fleet quite elusive.

On the India plan, for the past couple of games with him there's been an overwhelming focus on the Pacific side of the map - not much to go on but some moves on the Indian half might rock the boat a little.

As for the no HR aspect, expect lots of night bombing.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 65
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/24/2020 9:58:44 PM   
Lowpe

Time to stop messing around thinking about strategy and get the turn done.

I turned on replacements for everything, everywhere except Honshu and Hokkaido. Changed prep for the most Divisions, including 7-8 for Pearl Harbor (it certainly won't take Lok in....but it would be glorious tactic to skip the Pearl attack and then take it, in fact I gave it some serious consideration).

Everything in Manchuko and Korea is getting ready to board trains. I will go back and kick a few engineer units out of strat and build bases instead with them.

Next up is combat orders in China thru to Burma.

Then I need to tackle the task forces. I think I will do magic move task forces first, at least their composition, and then all the other cargo ships.

Have yet to do ship builds too, but that should be straight ahead, turn off all subs accelerate all CVs, turn off all merchant ships except CVEs. Straighten it out in a month or so.

Getting there. Will be burning supply!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/24/2020 10:59:45 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 66
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/24/2020 10:59:31 PM   
Lowpe

Interesting little problem.

Getting the Chinese unit to retreat is not a problem, getting it to retreat in the proper direction is as I want the rail line open asap.

Any ideas? Obviously I will hold off attacking until I cut the retreat path. Bombing with some Anns will keep it in place maybe for four days.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 67
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/24/2020 11:37:27 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

Getting the Chinese unit to retreat is not a problem, getting it to retreat in the proper direction is as I want the rail line open asap.

Any ideas? Obviously I will hold off attacking until I cut the retreat path. Bombing with some Anns will keep it in place maybe for four days.

The only thing that is quicker than the natural turn of events (Chinese retreat to NE and you shock attack across the river in 3 turns) is if you will roll in tanks into the NE hex from Suchow. Hardly possible in the beginning cause tanks are far away. So just do what Japan always does here I guess ;)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 68
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/25/2020 3:52:02 AM   
Alfred

Lowpe,

If you do decide to send sushi (this time with all the trimmings like wasabi and soy sauce) to the gulags, remember that in turn produce from the Ukrainian steppe in the form of piroggi (sp) and borsht is sent in to their new fraternal comrades in China.

Alfred

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 69
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/25/2020 12:58:18 PM   
Lowpe

You guys got the cart so in front of the horse with respect to attacking the Soviets...although you could accidentally activate them by moving out too many troops and having some garrison unit withdraw.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 70
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/25/2020 1:02:08 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

You guys got the cart so in front of the horse with respect to attacking the Soviets...although you could accidentally activate them by moving out too many troops and having some garrison unit withdraw.

To me, a person has to have a sense of humor otherwise life is not worth living.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 71
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/25/2020 9:32:17 PM   
Lowpe

Worked on some of my magic move task forces, bombing Singers and Luzon, cargo ships back in Honshu, boy do I dislike first turns.

I will wrap this up no later than Friday, starting to suffer from burnout. I will now focus on critical things, and let everything else slide.

I have to test the first turn too, as I have no idea really what to expect right now.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 72
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 12:43:38 PM   
Lowpe

Cargo ships...

Eventually, I want to only use Lima/Adens for hauling resources/supplies except into dangerous areas.

Those Yusens that convert to AK in June of 1942 pretty much go to Fusan & Hokkaido till then...hauling resources and oil. Yusens that can convert now to AK do (A's).

The 14 knot Limas go to hauling resources. Only a very few get converted to AKE (maybe 0), I don't like using them for AKE, rather use Toho. Will make 2 AKVs most likely. Maybe 4.

The 12 knot Adens (10 vp) get converted to carrying troops. They will be the workhorse of the amphibious invasion period.

For Kyushu 18 knot, you get 30+, they pretty much go and sit in a port go Fusan for resource hauling (usually port of choice is Maizuru for me) until they can convert into AR and AK. I will probably turn 20 in AR and 10 into AK (depends upon losses).

Husimi (around 25) pretty much go all AR but the AS I make will come from here.

I like to make lots of ARs, ADs, medium AKEs, AGs. Maybe 2-3 AS, almost 0 AVs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 73
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 12:55:43 PM   
RangerJoe

So you really plan on getting a lot of ships damaged but not sunk?

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 74
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 2:06:10 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

So you really plan on getting a lot of ships damaged but not sunk?

I do both. Usually I am really super hard on IJN destroyers.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 75
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 2:17:57 PM   
Lowpe

Told Lok I am starting to burn out on the turn 1, and will get him the turn by Friday or sooner. He is in no hurry to start it seems, and told me to take even more time if I need or want it.

One of the areas I don't want to skimp on is AA. It all has a place to go from the get go. Especially the searchlight/radar equipped versions. They have to land at Miri asap, really any target for early night bombing.

Have started to resize some float plane squadrons on Honshu, plus some carrier squadrons also on Honshu. Fleet carriers are of course way to busy to resize, plus there is not really the planes to feed them anyhow.

I think today I will work on the Marshalls a bit too. Pretty much evacuate all the ships there back to Saipan or Truk, but I doubt I could protect them even there right off the bat...need to look what I can scrounge up for Zeroes to get there. Could bag a CV early if Lok gets rambunctious with the KB down in the SRA.

Speaking about he KB, I am thinking of separating off the Shokaku and her sister and heading for the Indian Ocean or Perth with them. Indian Ocean to cut off and isolate Burma, or Perth to go hunting flotsam and jetsam from the SRA fleeing. A lot depends if I can nab Task Force Z on day 1...but getting a method to rearm/refuel makes the Indian Ocean option a bit more attractive. So these are just mere possibilities, but I need to be moving support forces and troops to make these options a possibility if the time ever comes for them.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 76
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 2:27:58 PM   
Q-Ball

IIRC, the Lima-class AKE is the only one big enough to provide Ammo for the Yamato's 18in guns. Do I remember that correctly? If so, that's a reason to convert a couple

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 77
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 2:38:36 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

IIRC, the Lima-class AKE is the only one big enough to provide Ammo for the Yamato's 18in guns. Do I remember that correctly? If so, that's a reason to convert a couple

Lima AKE in stock can reload everything you throw its way, including torpedoes. I'm not sure of Toho AKE can do heavier BB guns. I never used Toho AKEs because why? You have ample cargo capacity in stock so there is no reason to squeeze it to the last large ship you have.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 78
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 2:56:23 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

No HR so I need to think more like this, I never used them this way in any of my other games. Normally don't use them too far from a port that can reload them the super heavies that is. I even go so far as to expand one port specifically to feed them.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/26/2020 3:11:10 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 79
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 3:02:53 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

Lima AKE in stock can reload everything you throw its way, including torpedoes. I'm not sure of Toho AKE can do heavier BB guns. I never used Toho AKEs because why? You have ample cargo capacity in stock so there is no reason to squeeze it to the last large ship you have.

I like using them very aggressively, and don't like giving away more VP than I need to. Once a ship with supply loaded starts to burn it is very difficult to put out.

I also like Akasi as AKE and also as AD

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/26/2020 3:10:20 PM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 80
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 4:18:55 PM   
Lowpe

Ran my first dummy turn.

Ok results...was able to take Wake Island with a Fast Transport magic TF from Pescadores easily. I was worried about this.

Trying to take Rabaul very quickly is next on the list, need to get there before Lady Lex shows up or Australian cruisers.

Only damaged Boise and Marblehead, Houston untouched so need to work on that. Would like to take Jolo, and need to work on that.

Need to tune the Singapore area forces a bit. 31 buffaloes destroyed so that is a pretty solid start. Hong Kong AA seems immune to first turn surprise. Was able to sink or heavily damage quite a few British CLs and destroyers.

Good damage at Luzon and the B17 bases.

Overall, very promising for a quick grab of the Singapore and establishing a perimeter in the Pacific.

Really need to destroy Force Z on turn one... or at least heavily damage it. Kind of trading Pearl for them and a super fast conquest of Singapore....

No Mersing day 1, but will probably land at Kuantan. So Kuantan, Jolo, Wake, perhaps Billiton. I don't want to get too far forward where the Allies can really hit me with night bombardments etc.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 81
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 4:41:20 PM   
Evoken

How about Manila subs ?

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 82
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 5:14:19 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evoken

How about Manila subs ?

Do you think they will be there in a no HR game? Lok did tell me he wasn't going to evacuate Pearl. Imagine getting a KB strike on all those BBs at sea with greatly reduced flak.

SS Salmon, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
xAP President Madison, Bomb hits 1
PT Q-113, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS Pickerel, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
SS Porpoise, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
PG Asheville, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Si Kiang, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Seal, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS Seadragon, Bomb hits 3, heavy damage
AV Langley, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AVD Childs, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
SS Spearfish, Bomb hits 1
xAK Capillo, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Snapper, Bomb hits 1
SS Searaven, Bomb hits 1
SS Seawolf, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
DD Pillsbury, Bomb hits 1, on fire

SS Permit, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
AM Quail, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
SS Shark, Bomb hits 1
xAKL Don Jose, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AM Finch, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Sculpin, Bomb hits 1

SS Sturgeon, Bomb hits 1
PT-31, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS S-38, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
SS Tarpon, Bomb hits 1
SS Sealion, Bomb hits 1
DD Pope, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
AO Trinity, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Peary, Bomb hits 1
SS S-41, Bomb hits 1
AS Holland, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD John D. Ford, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Perch, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS Pike, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/26/2020 5:15:44 PM >

(in reply to Evoken)
Post #: 83
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 6:45:31 PM   
RangerJoe

Try it without the KB but use the Bettys and Nells at 1000 feet.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 84
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 6:56:20 PM   
RADM.Yamaguchi

quote:

Try it without the KB but use the Bettys and Nells at 1000 feet.

Don't forget "with torpedoes selected"

my 2 cents - double check that avg exp >70

if i understand correctly those 2 items will get you 800s

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 85
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 6:59:35 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

One of the areas I don't want to skimp on is AA. It all has a place to go from the get go. Especially the searchlight/radar equipped versions. They have to land at Miri asap, really any target for early night bombing.

There's an argument to be made for leaving Miri & Palembang until all the nearby airbases in the DEI are controlled by Japan.

Impossible for the Allies to bomb them if they're still in Allied hands.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 86
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 7:23:04 PM   
Lowpe

I am going to ask Lok about this....no HR is one thing, exploits are another and the 1000 foot torpedo selection is an exploit. I am not comfortable going there, tbh.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 8/26/2020 7:24:13 PM >

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 87
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 7:24:58 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

There's an argument to be made for leaving Miri & Palembang until all the nearby airbases in the DEI are controlled by Japan.

Impossible for the Allies to bomb them if they're still in Allied hands.

Absolutely won't take them till I can protect them with NF of some flavor and flak that will fire at night.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 88
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 7:35:22 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

I am going to ask Lok about this....no HR is one thing, exploits are another and the 1000 foot torpedo selection is an exploit. I am not comfortable going there, tbh.

If there are no torpedoes with any HQ in range, then the default is the normal bomb load.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 89
RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) - 8/26/2020 9:02:25 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

What exactly is the exploit here?

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to fly torpedo bombers at 1000ft.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ooops, I did it again (Lowpe (J) vs ?(A) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI