Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MOD Terrain Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> MODS and Scenarios >> MOD Terrain Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MOD Terrain Questions - 10/16/2020 3:59:01 PM   
papayeti

I'm working on some custom campaigns, and I'm curious about how certain terrain features work in the game: specifically, roads and rivers.

1) Roads - there doesn't seem to be any way that I can find to implement road movement, that is, units seem to move according to the terrain in the road hex (forest, for example), rather than get any benefit from road movement, which seems to negate the point of roads. I'm assuming they must have a supply/reinforcement function in the global/continental scenarios? But I'm making mods for individual battles, using more focused maps (regional, not global). So in this case are the roads purely decorative, or is there some way to use a "road movement"? Or is it possible to restrict "forced march" movement to road hexes only, which is another option that would work for my designs? With that in mind, could it also be possible to implement different movement rates on "roads" versus "trails"?

2) Rivers - I'd like to make certain rivers impassable, with bridges (roads over rivers) being the only way for units to cross. I know how to adjust the terrain movement cost, but it seems that rivers occupy entire hexes, not hex sides, so a river hex marked as "impassable" cannot be crossed, even at a bridge. The only solution I could come up with is to make the "Major River" impassable, and use a "River" hex at the point in the river where I want the crossing? Or is there a better way to implement this? It should also be the case that only artillery (range of 2 or better) can attack across a Major (impassable) River hex, except at a bridge. Although the editor allows us to put rivers in the same hexes as resources (towns), to implement the features the way I want, would it be better to design the map so that impassable Major Rivers are the only feature in a given hex? The net effect would be to make the river "appear" to occupy the entire hex, even though the graphic is "pinned" to one or more hex sides. I'm considering using the red/blue diagonal striped hexes from the "Symbol" hex collection to make it a bit more obvious that the rivers are large, and occupy more than just a side or two. It won't look the best but it might have the effect I'm looking for.

quote:

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
- Peter Sellers, "Dr. Strangelove".
Post #: 1
RE: MOD Terrain Questions - 10/17/2020 7:51:18 PM   
papayeti

Answering my own questions...1) Turns out I need to pay more attention to the "Action Points" although I'm not quite sure why some units will begin their turn with less than their full amount of points? Related to terrain, morale, supply or something else? 2) My brainstorm for using regular Rivers at bridge locations, while making the rest of the river hexes Major River and declaring all major rivers "impassible" did the trick. I'm using the shaded striped symbols while play testing to help me visualize the crossing points, but in the 1st "release" I might remove these. They are a nice tool for map design when you need to "highlight" certain hexes.

(in reply to papayeti)
Post #: 2
RE: MOD Terrain Questions - 10/17/2020 9:04:04 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: papayeti

Answering my own questions...1) Turns out I need to pay more attention to the "Action Points" although I'm not quite sure why some units will begin their turn with less than their full amount of points? Related to terrain, morale, supply or something else?

Supply. If you're below 5 then you lose one AP.

quote:

2) My brainstorm for using regular Rivers at bridge locations, while making the rest of the river hexes Major River and declaring all major rivers "impassible" did the trick. I'm using the shaded striped symbols while play testing to help me visualize the crossing points, but in the 1st "release" I might remove these. They are a nice tool for map design when you need to "highlight" certain hexes.

Sounds like a sensible solution! Do be aware that River and Major River also have attack and defence bonuses, you may wish to look at those too.

I'm not sure what happens if you put a resource on an impassable hex - does the hex become passable? If so you could make all rivers impassable and put a resource on the crossing points.

1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!

(in reply to papayeti)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> MODS and Scenarios >> MOD Terrain Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI