Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Search - random or set arcs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Search - random or set arcs? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 11/6/2020 2:18:09 PM   
Moltrey

I am liking it so far. Of course a pinch of salt is suggested as 1) I am new to WITP:AE (relatively) 2) Most of my positive observations stem from many restarts to test, add, modify, etc. and I only am running a few days as Allies. The longest stint I have currently is thru December 18th I think.

With those caveats out of the way, I am finding out in a general/overall sense that while the Japanese AI is following a typical playbook, the slight tweaks from Andy's new stuff changes some aspects of how things unfold. If nothing else it makes me stay "on my toes" for trouble.

With regard to some of the logistical changes like more dot bases and more supply and Light Industry to provide self-sufficiency- things seems to be working rather well. It is a small sample size of course. Still, I am really happy that AndyMac is taking his personal time to extend and enhance the game. Alfred doesn't agree with some of the things Andy has changed, but no one is making us make use of it, so I think it is fine.

< Message edited by Moltrey -- 11/6/2020 2:19:49 PM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 31
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 11/6/2020 2:20:50 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
Maybe try Allies as I am more familiar with that side on how to break the AI and have Japan surrender as soon as is possible.

Land on Hokkaido in spring 42 with everything unrestricted you have, stage CAP to bleed AI air, then hop into Ominato and march your LCU stack around, not touching x4 spots. End of game in 42

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 32
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 11/6/2020 6:18:47 PM   
RangerJoe

I usually wipe out the IJA on Luzon, then in China I end up taking Canton then liberate Hong Kong.* Then I try to get loads of supply in, first to Luzon while also retaking other islands there and then some nice 200-300k loads into Hong Kong. Those Hong Kong supplies usually disappear fast.

I do give up Singapore, retreating to Sumatra and sending some weak units to India to play police. Two Indian division at Palembang are hard on the Japanese invasions.

I also retreat out of Burma, I should try to unload massive supplies in Burma and pulse them to China.

*Canton in March, Hong Kong usually in April/May.

< Message edited by RangerJoe -- 11/6/2020 6:28:43 PM >

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 33
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 11/6/2020 9:55:00 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe
I usually wipe out the IJA on Luzon, then in China I end up taking Canton then liberate Hong Kong...

I described how to break AI Japan the quickest, that's it. Whatever meddling in other parts of the world will only increase IJA troops in Tokyo as they revive. By then one is better off playing an interesting historical game instead

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 34
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 9/23/2021 6:27:02 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
circa ten years ago I posted that the arcs (nice feature if you ask me) were not working. Well, I gave them a try some months ago and... they are still

NOT working.

It's really really simple, no need of complicated kafkaesque tests. Take the PH bomber and patrol squadrons and tell them to patrol x arcs until every angle is covered. They will hardly detect let's say subs.

Now take these very same bomber and patrol squadrons. Random arcs. The bomber squadrons => NavSearch = 10% [aka 1 plane] ASW = 10% [aka 1 plane] and hit end turn. Subs are detected en masse

Don't bother about this feature, it's *not* working. A lot of work for nothing.

The only doubt I have: maybe with random arcs the squadrons are detecting way too much

I tested it a bit.

You are right, NavSearch arcs are bugged and don't pick up what a 360 search picks up in the same situation. But only with respect to subs. Search arcs detect surface task forces just fine, and with dispersed 360 search the detection is worse, so WAD here.

Everyone should relax and keep doing what they were doing with long range search through arcs cause it's probably not the subs you are searching for.

Wrt the test its nothing kafkaesque btw :) Just fired up a head-2-head, set either arcs or 360 for Catalinas in Noumea and looked on the accumulated detection levels of Japanese TFs

It's not just subs. I ran this same test over and over trying to find Force Z as the Japanese and got the same results. Using detailed search arcs nothing. Using random search arcs picked them up every time. Don't waste your time being OCD about search arcs...

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 9/23/2021 6:50:03 PM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 35
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 9/24/2021 1:54:32 PM   
littleike

Years ago i was collecting various threads fragments about search arcs.
I post them under here.
If they confuse your ideas disregard please.

Search Arcs Questions

If I set an arc from say, 10-170 degrees, does it search the smaller "slice", or the larger? What about if I set 0-180, does it search the east or the west?

Along the lines of mark24's question, if the search arc is left blank (0,0) does it search 360 degrees?

0-0 means 360 degrees
0-180 means east and south. is the right half of a circle. So from N to S clockwise.
270-360 means from W to N clockwise.
90-270 means east and west means from E to W again clockwise

I've been setting my "scan everywhere" settings for "10 to 0", assuming that all but a thin slice of the arc (the remaining 350 degrees) gets scanned, but that's just an assumption on my part. Although section 7.1 of the manual (p. 151 of the .pdf) alludes to this, it does not conclusively state this.

You are correct in that. Setting goes always clockwise. If you set search from 45 (well, you cannot, but 40 is close enough) to 180, your planes will fly search within arc from NE to S.

If you set search 180 to 45 (again 45 is something that you cannot set, but easier to describe), search arc is from S to NE. Clockwise.

If you set your search arc 0 to 0 you search all 360 degrees but with PENALTIES.

If you set your search arc smaller than 360 degrees then each individual plane will only search a 10 degree arc in each phase - morning and afternoon.

So If I have 6 planes searching... and i want to search 0 to 180.... I can't....as I can't cover everything unless I set the unit to search 360.

However IF I do set the unit to search the arc 0 to 180 this is what happens:

In the morning -

Plane 1 searches 0-10
Plane 2 searches 10-20
etc etc
Plane 6 searchs 50-60.

Then in the afternoon -

Plane 1 searches 60-70
Plane 2 searches 70-80
etc etc
Plane 6 searches 110-120

So with six planes from a unit searching I can search 120 degrees in a given day but only 60 degrees in each phase....or I can have the planes search 360 degrees with penalties.

IF you have more planes than arcs - each arc is given one plane, then the first arc is given two, and the second two etc...until all of the planes have been assigned. This only applies to searches of greater than 4 hexes.

The search arc is always from the first number to the second number. 270-90 would search from pointing straight left to straight right. The first search plane would be sent out at 270, the second at 280, etc.

So when I give the same arc to two catalina groups in the same base I'm doing a stupid search ! They cover the same sub-arc simultaneously... I gain a double check but in one direction at a time, not two checks in two different directions. The best seems to cut in two half-arc and allocate one to each group in order to increase the chances of spotting something more quickly. Right ?

Depends on how you set it up. Let's say you want to search from 180 - 360 degrees (to the west). If both Catalina groups have 9 aircraft, then you would want to assign one group to search 180-260 degrees and the second to search 270-360 degrees. In this way, EACH ARC IS SEARCHED EACH PHASE. So you get your double search bonus plus your bombers would be able to launch an attack in the PM phase if in range.

If you set both groups to search 180-360 degrees, then both groups will search the 180-270 degree sector in the AM phase and the 270-360 sector in the PM phase. The down side is that you would only be able to launch PM attacks against those TFs spotted in the AM phase. The TFs spotted in the PM phase will be safe.

Has anybody come up with a formula or spreadsheet that says for x number of search planes, covering an arc this many degrees, at this range, what would be the probability of searching every hex?

Search in this game is considerably more complicated than just dividing the number of square miles to be searched by the number of aircraft assigned to search. I doubt that anyone has a spreadsheet or formula, since too many other things factor into the result (weather, experience, prior detection level, force composition, altitude, fatigue, leadership, luck, etc.) What you'll find is that the longer you play, the better feel you'll get for what is adequate in terms of search and what isn't (and even this will change depending on your resources at any point in the game.) Granted, this isn't as comforting as being able to rely on a guaranteed formula, but it does make the game a lot more interesting.

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't looking for a search success formula. I just was trying to gauge what was physically possible, not worrying about the other factors affecting the probability of finding anything. Most would agree that if a player were to assign a 360 degree arc with a range of 15 to two aircraft, chances are these aircraft would not be able to cover the entire search zone in a day. A way to quantify that judgement is what I was fishing for. If I have 5 aircraft, how big an area could I reasonably search? How about 10 or 12? These are the questions I was looking to see if somebody analysed.

I understand what you're asking, but I apparently didn't do a very good job of explaining why there is no definitive answer.

What are you searching for? If it's a 100 ship amphibious invasion force, your two plane group will find it almost every time. If it's a sub, your two plane group will probably never find it. In-between cases run the gamut.

-What is the weather like in both the base hex and the potential target hex? Bad weather in either, you're probably out of luck. Clear weather in both, completely different result.

-What is the experience level of your search group, and what's the experience level of their leader? A group of 12 green pilots with a mediocre/poor leader could fail to find something that an experienced group of 2 planes with a good leader might find most of the time.

-How fatigued is your search group? Doesn't matter how experienced or well led your search group is if they are too tired to take off in the first place...

These are only a few examples of why you can't quantify this very easily - the list goes on. Are you playing Japan or the Allies? Is it early war or late war? Do your search planes have radar on not? Has the TF you're looking for been spotted recently or not? Along with all of these variables and more, you'll end up with at least one or two rolls of the dice before determining a result...

Again, I understand what you're asking, but unfortunately there is no really good generic answer.

Naval Search does not operate like that in game.
Each assigned plane searches a 10 degree arc. Period.
Whether it flys both AM and PM phases depends on distance set and cruise speed of plane.
whether it actually spots anything depends on distance set and pilot quality.

Isn't this true only if you manually set search arcs?

If you don't manually set search arcs then even a squadron with only 3 planes such as many of the Dutch floatplane squadrons will still search an entire 360 degree area.
I see this routinely time and time again where a single Dutch FP squadron of 3 planes finds enemy TFs over areas amounting to far greater than 30 degrees.
I know this isn't a result of having a half dozen or more of these 3 plane squadrons overlapping because I typically use only two of the plethora of Dutch FP squadrons for naval search, placing one near Batavia and one near Koepang.

All other Dutch FP squadrons are used as troop ferries to get the Dutch LCUs where I want them for concentrated defenses in chosen locations.

These two squadrons of 3 planes routinely find IJN TFs across far greater arcs than 30 degrees each.
I do not manually set search arcs because I firmly believe doing so actually handicaps the search ability.

If you do not manually set search arcs, meaning you leave them (sort of) with no settings just the way they are when you first set the group to search, the group will do an 'old style' search using the code that present before search arcs were introduced to the game. That means that each TF will have a % chance of being seen, that % decreasing as the range increases. Also the number of planes and other things are taken into account.

By setting a search arc you have a better chance of seeing TF within the search arc. I presume a much better chance. So if you have limited planes/groups available and just need some general searching, using the old settings can be useful. In most situations, meaning where it makes sense to search heavily in a certain direction, setting search arcs makes sense.

You are almost certainly experiencing, with your 3 plane Dutch units, the code subset routine for naval searching up to 4 hexes. Within 4 hexes you get blanket area coverage although once again the more aircraft you have the better quality it is.

Search arcs is therefore really a consideration for >4 hex coverage, and for practical considerations most players will need a 6-8 hex early warning zone as a minimum. Bear in mind that as the range gets bigger the efficiency of the search diminishes to the point that searching out beyond 12 hexes becomes quite inefficient.

OK, I get it that the answer always depends on "it depends", as conditions always cause a variance. So for those of us who aren't math or science majors, just so I can get a "ballpark feel", let's say I have 3 squadrons of PBY's on an island. Clear weather , pilots with experience in the 70's, good morale ,supply ,support, and they just had a USO show come through. If they are set at 50% search (no vectors) and at 6000', can I assume that I have a good chance of spotting , oh say 12 ships with a CV or two amongst them, out to say 15 hex’s? If not , what numbers ,training and resources would I have to expend to achieve say 75% change of catching the KB before it pastes me?

Three PBY squadrons, at 50% search assignment, means 18 search planes.

1. If the enemy TF is positioned at 4 hexes distance (or less), you have almost a guaranteed chance of spotting it. Mind you if it contains a CV, enemy air patrols/strikes will probably announce their presence soon enough.

2. At 15 hexes distance, by sheer weight of plane search numbers involved, you have a reasonable chance of spotting the enemy. It would be an inefficient use of your search assets but in war, sometimes the better action is not the most efficient.

3. With that many available search planes you would be better off setting search arcs to ensure that at least all vectors are searched out. Becomes particularly useful when a search plane is shot down and the vector gap shows up. Not setting the vectors means you are dependent on the AI choosing the vectors for you. Setting up the vectors yourself also has the benefit that you determine where daylight searching begins. That may be a benefit.

Thanks. I can understand that sectors are more efficient , but I rather like the idea of an near impenetrable wall of circles, from island to island, crossing the central Pacific, and having a pretty good chance of tracking anything passing in range (including a sub or two). Between the search planes, a line of picket subs, and the odd picket of patrol craft , I think it can form a very strong early warning line. It's reassuring that it most likely will work. Basically in this case , I'm looking for reliability over efficiency. But if you feel sector is better, I'll go with it. I'm assuming you feel that the previous "bugs" with using sector are now gone?

I never set a search sector for planes operating off a ship. Kingfishers et al have a small range anyway and it falls within the 4 hex sub routine.

Search vectors therefore are only an issue for land based squadrons equipped with long range planes such as PBY. Yes I do think the earlier problem with using vectors has been addressed.

Basing 3 PBY squadrons at a single airfield is quite a concentration of your limited PBY assets. If the airfield is an island all by itself, say Wake, I can see the attractiveness of having 360 degree coverage. However if it is an overlapping island, 360 coverage may be overkill, particularly if you can avail yourself of the 4 hex blanket coverage using land based Kingfishers to supplement your PBY.

Ultimately it depends on whether the approach route is limited. For most overlapping islands in an island chain, there is a "rear area" which should be reasonably secure from enemy activity. In those circumstances, with limited air search assets, I would plump for setting vectors. It should be very rare to have to regularly reset those search vectors.

Naval search

Have some of my bombers on naval search:
What do the green areas mean when compared to the blue?
What does that arced line mean, intersecting the green area?

Blue and green are morning and afternoon search phases. You can also see all black with is the designated search area covered in both phases. It all depends on how many planes you have patrolling.

The light blue is ASW and that is why the sector is cut in half.

ASW search is half the distance of naval search.

The color of the the arc will change to black indicating that it is being searched in both phases, asw will turn white if it is being searched both morning/afternoon.

I know that when clicking the left mouse button to set the first part of the search arcs, it will show the maximum extent of the search arcs by that unit. Let's say that I only want to search half of that area, and want to search it in both morning and afternoon. Will the search arcs always be split in half, morning and afternoon, even if I have severely condensed the search arcs?

That's my suspicion, which would be disappointing, but I would also assume that it would mean having more planes in the arcs and therefore greater detection capabilities. Correct?

each plane assigned to search will fly a 10-degree arc in both the AM & PM phases. if a 12-plane sqn is set to 50% search, 6 planes will fly in both AM & PM, 60 degrees each phase, you can cover a 120-degree arc, half AM & half PM.

change the 50% to 100% and you can search that entire 120-degree arc in both phases. or keep the %age at 50% and reduce the arc to 60 degrees to cover that arc fully. use the 'show arcs' button on the sqn screen to observe your changes, also the Z hotkey will display all your current search arcs. black arcs (NavS) or white arcs (ASW) indicate coverage for both phases.

Random means it will go out 360 degrees, but based upon the number of planes you have it will take some number of days to complete the arc. has uses, particularly on ships for ASW.

Unless it has been changed in the latest patch, search planes out on a random setting do not daily adjust their search area to eventually cover (over a period of time) all 360 degrees. A random setting starts off at 0 degrees and subject to having sufficient aircraft assigned proceeds in clock direction. If only sufficient planes have been assigned to cover 90 degrees, then that was the only coverage area (0-90 degrees) one ever had searched.

Related questions:

1. Is a search more likely to catch something from searches from land or from those on Carriers, all else being equal?

No difference

2. What are the best search air units?

The ones with pilots that have the highest Nav Search skill, and the unit can be assigned to Nav search.

3. (a bit unrelated)Explain the logistics of an air-group, say, on a Supply Troops mission that then sets Patrol levels at ASW 20%. Does this mean that 80% of the aircraft will supply troops while the rest will look for submarines, essentially meaning the air-group has two missions? Which would then mean that if an air-group chooses the Naval Attack mission, and then is able to select a second mission (say, Port Attack) and then also sets ASW Patrols at 20%, that that group will have three missions? In other words, what the hell are the logistics of setting Patrol levels and what do they mean relative to the primary missions set?

Think about it.... If you assign a unit to Nav Attack and assign a value of 20 to Nav Search and 20 to ASW....what do you think that means?

A unit assigned to Naval Attack will perform a Naval Attack. A unit assigned to Supply Transport. If you assign a % of the unit to perform some other mission then that % will perform that mission.

Real World example- p256 "Fortress against the sun" - "For 3 consecutive days beginning Sept 16, 1942 a single B-17 from the 26th BS dropped bombs on Gizo harbor on Gizo island, ...while other planes flew daily reconnaissance flights." (presumably Nav Search)

In game - the 26th BS is assigned the mission of Port Attack, with a value of 80 or 90 assigned to Nav Search. So 80% of the unit performs Nav Search while 1-2 planes bomb a harbor.

IMO there's a big difference between a) not specifying a search-arc & b) using the 'random arcs' button.

if you tag the 'random arcs' button, then the 'show arcs' button, you'll see that the squadron has been set to a specific arc starting from 000.

i believe (hope) that if you leave the arcs unassigned, you'll get a random distribution of planes shooting out. but someone 'll have to set up a little test-scenario to check that out.

If you assign a unit to Naval Attack you can also assign a secondary mission.

These settings are independent of the percentages you can set at the bottom for search, ASW, train, rest etc.

The set percentages will do those missions, however in the case of Naval Attack if the unit does not find a target to attack IIRC it will default to the secondary mission in the pm phase.

But if the unit does perform a naval attack it will NOT perform the secondary, which again are independent of the percents at the bottom. This should all be addressed in the rule book.

For the sake of clarity, let's say that I have 10 aircraft ready to go. In the above example I have Airfield Attack selected. Under Patrol I have 50% on ASW and 50% on Search, equaling 100%.

With 10 aircraft, 5 will have ASW as a mission and 5 will do Search.

What happens to the Airfield Attack? Since there are no aircraft left and all are on other missions, then it seems to me that none of the aircraft will actually perform an Airfield Attack mission.

Following this logic, if I set ASW to 30% and Search to 30%, four aircraft (40%) would then have Airfield Attack as its mission.

This was my question all along. Are the missions and Patrol levels all taken as one, with equal weight?

If you set 50% ASW, 50% Search..there are no planes to fly attack missions.

From michaelm's posts, I remember that all hexes within 4 hex range are searched anyway (abstracting normal traffic from and to AF spotting enemies). Search arc increases chance to spot enemy inside arc. If you don't set arc, there is percentage change of spotting enemy within range set.

Logic - It's an amazing thing. Its not tricky.

From you above screen shot...If you were to select Naval Attack as your Primary Mission, you would then be given the opportunity to select a Secondary Mission of say Ground Attack.

Then if you set ASW to 30 and Search to 30...you would have 4 aircraft available for your Primary Mission of Naval Attack / Secondary Mission of Ground Attack.

When you execute the turn your unit will fly 3 planes on ASW in the a.m., and 3 planes on Search in the a.m., and if there is an available target (determined by dice rolls/detection etc) it will fly 4 planes in a Naval Attack in the a.m.. If there is not a target available for the Naval Attack in the a.m. then in the p.m. if there is still no available Naval Attack target, it will fly the 4 planes in a Ground Attack because that is the chosen secondary mission, assuming there is an available target for Ground Attack.

In the pm the 6 planes flying ASW & Search will continue flying those missions.

IIRC in the original WitP players did not have the option to assign the % to ASW/Search etc.

note also on AlanBernardo's screenshot, this Mitchell sqn has dangerous low morale of 57. if morale continues to decrease, the sqn won't fly all its planes.

this squadron needs some TLC pronto!

a) switch some planes to Training, to improve morale,
b) grab a better leader, the current leader is awful,
c) add 4 additioal pilots, preferably trained pilots from reserve.

Don’t know what this sqn's history is - fatigue is low, so maybe it hasn't been running continuous ops - but it's borderline incompetent to run its assigned missions, and will get worse rapid if changes aren't made.

Next time just RTFM ...pages 150-154.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 36
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 9/25/2021 11:22:13 AM   
HansBolter

What are these "random arcs" people keep referring to?

When you don't assign set arcs search paths the game engine does not assign 'random arcs', it searches the full 360 degrees.

For years I have been one of the loudest voices disparaging search arcs as a complete waste of time.

I have never used them after the my initial experimentation with them.

The so called rationale for using them is that is that they more greatly concentrate the search assets in a limited area and SHOULD thus significantly increase the odds of spotting what is being searched for.

Unfortunately, this has never been true and simple experience has shown me that my search areas are very, very rarely infiltrated by a TF that remains unspotted.

So, if I am getting what has proven time and time again to be very effective search efforts with a full 360 degree search, why on earth would I EVER want to restrict that search area to some small sliver of ocean?

Thanks very much to the one who posted test results confirming what I, and many others, have been saying for years.

Hans

(in reply to littleike)
Post #: 37
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 9/25/2021 2:32:08 PM   
ggeilman

I have spent all this time dutifully setting up search arcs. You all telling me it is a waste of time?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 38
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 9/25/2021 4:13:09 PM   
Kull

Draw your own conclusions:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Although often asked, there is no particularly good consolidated thread which thoroughly deals with naval search/ASW arcs.  This thread is probably the best single thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3299579&mpage=1&key=search%2Carc�

One of the problems you will encounter is that there are some very strong advocates for not setting search arcs but they tend to hide the details as to why they can get away with it.  Newbies read these no set arcs assertions and just adopt the principle that it works perfectly and obviates the case for setting arcs.  From that urban myths are created.  As always the devil is in the detail.  Particularly when reading my posts, one has to be alert to exactly what I say and the nuances I point out.

1.  Setting search arcs does increase micromanagement.  Players who are averse to micromanagement or at least want to minimise, tend to be very enthusiastic at the prospect of avoiding this additional work load.

2.  There is an automatic 360 degree search arc for up to 4 hexes on all naval search/ASW missions.  Set the mission out to 4 hexes, you get 360 degree coverage irrespective of what you do.  Set the mission out to 8 hexes, you get 360 coverage up to 4 hexes out.  Coverage for hexes 5-8 inclusive depends on what you do.  Set the mission out to 12 hexes, you get 360 coverage up to 4 hexes out, with coverage of hexes 5-12 inclusive dependent on your selection.

3.  Consider the range of your searching aircraft.  For example, Allied float planes are not really going to stretch the auto 360 degree coverage are they.  So there is no point in setting naval search arcs for them as the code has already taken care of that plus if you did specifically set such search arcs you would need to reset them every time a change of task force travel direction occurs as search arcs are not dynamic.

4.  Usually when the don't bother setting search arcs adherents assert that in their games they do very well without setting them they fail to point out that the DL and MDL of enemy task forces are also determined by other factors besides the efforts of their own planes flying search missions.  They also fail to point out that the sheer weight of embarked planes set to search usually is much greater than what they have on land and thus the malus associated with not setting arcs is mitigated.  As I said details, details which are very easy to overlook by newbies.

5.  Not all sea hexes are created equal.  There are frontal and backdoor approaches to most ports.  How often do you really think an enemy task force is going to, or is even capable, to come in from the back door.  Yet, because it is random, you will get backdoor searching if not set.

Experienced players who know exactly what they are doing and what the enemy capabilities are, can get away without setting search arcs.  They save themselves some micromanagement, but that is somewhat limited as setting of search arcs for land based aircraft is largely a one time set and forget task, only needed to be revisited when a major redrawing of the sea frontlines occurs.  It will superficially appear to be as effective as setting arcs, but it isn't.  So the real question for you is does the additional micromanagement represent an acceptable cost for the improved search footprint obtained when setting arcs.

Alfred

(in reply to ggeilman)
Post #: 39
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 9/25/2021 4:46:52 PM   
RangerJoe

Setting up search arcs from Sydney will keep you from searching the Outback for enemy Naval Task Forces! You can then see the coverage area by am and pm as well as whether or not the area is covered in both phases. The same thing for ASW TFs to search where the enemy likes to lurk and where your TFs are coming and going.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 40
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 9/25/2021 5:47:10 PM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

Draw your own conclusions:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Although often asked, there is no particularly good consolidated thread which thoroughly deals with naval search/ASW arcs.  This thread is probably the best single thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3299579&mpage=1&key=search%2Carc�

One of the problems you will encounter is that there are some very strong advocates for not setting search arcs but they tend to hide the details as to why they can get away with it.  Newbies read these no set arcs assertions and just adopt the principle that it works perfectly and obviates the case for setting arcs.  From that urban myths are created.  As always the devil is in the detail.  Particularly when reading my posts, one has to be alert to exactly what I say and the nuances I point out.

1.  Setting search arcs does increase micromanagement.  Players who are averse to micromanagement or at least want to minimise, tend to be very enthusiastic at the prospect of avoiding this additional work load.

2.  There is an automatic 360 degree search arc for up to 4 hexes on all naval search/ASW missions.  Set the mission out to 4 hexes, you get 360 degree coverage irrespective of what you do.  Set the mission out to 8 hexes, you get 360 coverage up to 4 hexes out.  Coverage for hexes 5-8 inclusive depends on what you do.  Set the mission out to 12 hexes, you get 360 coverage up to 4 hexes out, with coverage of hexes 5-12 inclusive dependent on your selection.

3.  Consider the range of your searching aircraft.  For example, Allied float planes are not really going to stretch the auto 360 degree coverage are they.  So there is no point in setting naval search arcs for them as the code has already taken care of that plus if you did specifically set such search arcs you would need to reset them every time a change of task force travel direction occurs as search arcs are not dynamic.

4.  Usually when the don't bother setting search arcs adherents assert that in their games they do very well without setting them they fail to point out that the DL and MDL of enemy task forces are also determined by other factors besides the efforts of their own planes flying search missions.  They also fail to point out that the sheer weight of embarked planes set to search usually is much greater than what they have on land and thus the malus associated with not setting arcs is mitigated.  As I said details, details which are very easy to overlook by newbies.

5.  Not all sea hexes are created equal.  There are frontal and backdoor approaches to most ports.  How often do you really think an enemy task force is going to, or is even capable, to come in from the back door.  Yet, because it is random, you will get backdoor searching if not set.

Experienced players who know exactly what they are doing and what the enemy capabilities are, can get away without setting search arcs.  They save themselves some micromanagement, but that is somewhat limited as setting of search arcs for land based aircraft is largely a one time set and forget task, only needed to be revisited when a major redrawing of the sea frontlines occurs.  It will superficially appear to be as effective as setting arcs, but it isn't.  So the real question for you is does the additional micromanagement represent an acceptable cost for the improved search footprint obtained when setting arcs.

Alfred

I rather thought Alfred was saying there, you should set search arcs for land based patrol squadrons, going beyond a 4 hex radius (set to 8 if ASW because that halves it), because that will possibly get you a better result, although the exe is not totally stupid and will direct some search capacity to the non obvious approaches to ports.

I.E. set search arcs for patrols out of the Conus, Australian ports, Colombo etc, as you retake major bases you may want to set some search arcs. These are long life asset direction "only needed to be revisited when a major redrawing of the sea frontlines occurs".

Don't set them for air combat TFs. Even if you might want that level of micro-management, you need 360 degree coverage.

Don't set them for short legged floatplanes on surface action TF's - it makes no difference out to 4 hexes.

There is a malus to not concentrating search assets to a limited area, i.e. the DLs you get will be better on the stuff in a concentrated area where you send the planes.

None of this sounds like rocket surgery to me.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 41
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 9/25/2021 6:26:59 PM   
RangerJoe

Long legged planes like Jakes probably could use search arcs, especially if changed based upon the direction of travel and/or the probably direction of the enemy. Of course, some should be left with no search arcs set.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 42
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 9/25/2021 11:15:49 PM   
Kull

I usually set ASW search arcs even though technically there's no benefit (the 4-hex rule). However, it can be VERY helpful, since toggling the arcs "on" tells me immediately which locations have active ASW search. It's certainly a heck of lot faster than checking each individual air field.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 43
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 9/26/2021 9:54:10 AM   
OnWargaming

quote:

I usually set ASW search arcs even though technically there's no benefit (the 4-hex rule). However, it can be VERY helpful, since toggling the arcs "on" tells me immediately which locations have active ASW search. It's certainly a heck of lot faster than checking each individual air field.

Sorry Kull, can you explain to me the 4-hex rule?

Thanks

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 44
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 9/26/2021 11:44:15 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: OnWargaming

quote:

Sorry Kull, can you explain to me the 4-hex rule?

Thanks

Search is 360 degrees out to a radius of 4 hexes even when you set limited search arcs.

Those arcs only apply beyond four hexes. Since all ASW missions occur at half the range setting on the aircraft only very long range aircraft will be able to take advantage of a limited arc setting for that mission and, at least in the early part of the war, long range aircraft that the Allies can afford to dedicate to the ASW mission are in short supply.

Hans

(in reply to OnWargaming)
Post #: 45
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 9/30/2021 4:56:23 PM   
OnWargaming

Thanks HansBolter, another piece of the puzzle discovered

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 46
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 10/1/2021 4:17:44 AM   
RangerJoe

Long Range ASW land based Allied aircraft early on are the Hudson/A-29s especially the LR version, the B17D which does not have the defensive firepower of the B17E but does have a nice long range. I had Devastators on ASW search bombing ships that they also discovered.

― Julia Child

Post #: 47
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 10/20/2021 6:53:50 PM   
OnWargaming

So, I made a little test myself:

Guadalcanal scenario
- all aircrafts landed for both side except the Mavis air unit at Tulagi
- four Allied TFs in Remain on Station in the same sea hex for about 10 days
- a fifth Allied TF moved four days later in a sea hex within 4 hexes of Tulagi

Here the final position of the Allied TFs (all TFS were in the same hex for both tests)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 48
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 10/20/2021 7:11:12 PM   
OnWargaming

Mavis air unit on 50% Search with arcs set.

- 1st day nothing spotted
- In the next days two or three TFs have been spotted, never all four
- The fifth TF has not been never spotted even if inside the 4 hexes from Tulagi (I stationed it outside the search arc)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 49
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 10/20/2021 7:22:17 PM   
OnWargaming

Mavis air unit on 50% Search no arcs set (the distance has been lowered to 12 hexes, my mystake).

- 1st day one TF spotted
- In the next days two or three TFs have been spotted, never all four (more two TFs than three respect the previous test)
- The fifth TF has been spotted every time

According this small and SINGLE test:

- it SEEMS there is no difference for spotting with arcs set and no arcs behind the 4 hexes
- it SEEMS that if a TF is outside the arcs set cannot be spotted even if within 4 hexes (my test was at exactly four hexes)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 50
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 10/24/2021 1:08:08 PM   
ITAKLinus

I don't trust arcs and do just fine without them.

Time ago, I spent much time setting them properly and I have been dissatisfied with the results. Non-arcs are familiar to me and I somehow know what to expect from them.

Currently I use arcs just if there is a weird line of attack on enemy shipping where I want to avoid a CAP on some nearer base, which would drag my bobmers in NavB.

Also, I live under the convinction that often the arcs search in the nearby arc as well, but I use them so rarely that I really don't care.

For me, non-arcs is the way.

Francesco

Post #: 51
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 10/24/2021 6:51:54 PM   
Trugrit

I use search arcs quite a bit but almost never just to cover a wide area of the open ocean.
I focus them and the trick to is to bring larger numbers into play when you use search arcs.

I use search arcs a lot for anti-submarine warfare.

So….Maybe I can add something for new players to think about.
Over the years I’ve found that some veteran players don’t post on the forum all the methods
They actually use in the game. They hold their cards close to their vest.

First...to protect my task forces against sub attack I’ll often form a protected Pipeline at critical ports
for my task forces to move in and out of.
(These are rear area important ports that are mostly free of enemy air attack)

In the diagram below I’ve set up a string of hexes that form a protected by air and sea pipeline.

A key is to have multiple ASW air groups and ASW task forces covering the line all the time.
For the air groups I can use bombers on ASW Patrol because they have a longer range.
I use multiple groups (many planes) to search a single sector.
(The B-17D is very good in this role)

Did I say I use many planes (multiple groups) in a single search arc? I think I did.

Using search arcs you want to bring larger numbers to a long range search like I described in this post:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4985693
In that thread Moltrey asked the question…...What do you do as Allies in the early war when you don’t
Have that many patrol planes? The answer is you can use bombers for naval search and ASW patrol.
Training Bomber pilots to search is very useful.

That way spotting an enemy sub task force in the pipeline is easier to do. I can attack or avoid the sub.
A spotted sub will seldom make an attack so spotting is as good as attacking.
(I use Destroyers for long range and/or Sub Chasers when they are close to port and can get a refuel stop)

My other task forces can enter and leave the pipeline at any point along it as necessary to avoid subs.

This way I can bring larger numbers into play and focus on one intense area instead of spreading
out my limited ASW resources.

Once set up I’ll watch it and use air and sea assets to clean it of any detected enemy subs.
(Using a method I’ll described next)

This is very effective if you are playing against the AI and maybe less so in PBEM games
Because your opponent has a brain and may detect it and take action.

If my opponent does not detect the pipeline I may tell him what it is and where it is in the hope
that he will move his sub task forces there. Then, I can more easily spot them, kill them, cripple them,
De-Fang and/or change my routes in and out of the port as required to avoid his sub task forces.

Note….If you can get the enemy to move his forces where you want them that is always a plus.
(It is not against the rules to talk to your opponent unless you have made it a rule)

Second….A first principle of intelligence gathering is “pattern analysis”.
Intelligence analysts attempt to discover patterns in enemy operations and exploit them.
This can turn bits of enemy information into “actionable” intelligence.
Actionable intelligence can be used to engage enemy forces.

In this game pattern analysis can be applied to anti-submarine operations.

In the game a submarine patrol task force is set up in one of two ways:

1. The task force has remain on station orders and stays in one hex only.
This is not usually used by experienced players because it is not as effective
as a patrol zone and players want to add the reaction setting which is more
effective with a patrol zone set. They are also easier to detect and attack
if they remain in one hex which is the main reason experienced players
don’t use remain on station or one hex patrol zones very often if at all.

2. Most common…...The task force has a patrol zone set. One, two or three hexes.
These can be linear or spread out to cover an area.

The important thing is that patrol zones create a pattern which can be exploited when detected.

In the diagram below, there is a detected submarine task force at Hex location A.
We don’t know how the task force has been set up or the location of any other Hexes
that make up the patrol zone but we do have one important piece of information:

We know the Hex it was detected in (Location A) and if it is running a patrol zone pattern
it will return at some point to that Hex. This is a fairly good indication of where it is going to
Be in a future turn. When a sub is detected I make a note of the Hex it was detected in.

That is actionable intelligence. When it returns to location A, I can be waiting there for it with
A dedicated ASW air patrol and multiple ASW surface task forces.

I use single destroyer ASW task forces. I like to use about 6 task forces with each TF set to a
Single hex patrol zone in the Hex the sub will return to. I use Destroyers for this because
Sub chasers don’t have the speed or the endurance I like for this type of work.

With this set up I have a good chance to get at least one and maybe multiple attacks on the sub
Every time it passes through that Hex depending on detection.

But another important thing is that the sub will get a chance to shoot at my destroyers.
The sub can’t usually pass up a chance to shoot at one of six surface task forces in the hex.
He has his choice since I’ve tried to make it easy for him.

I use destroyers because they are fast and it is very difficult for a submarine to hit one.
It does happen on occasion but chasing subs is one of their jobs and I want enemy subs to shoot at
My destroyers instead of my slow moving cargo and transport ships. That way the sub wastes it’s torpedoes
shooting at targets that are very hard to hit and returns to home port, if it is not dead, with the tubes empty.

Knowing where an enemy sub task force will be in some future turn is a good way to kill,
Damage or De-Fang subs.

In a PBEM game an opponent can always change the patrol pattern. That means he has to watch for detection
on his sub task forces and make the change. Not always a sure thing so I may still have an advantage.
It will add to his workload.

With all this said the next question to be asked is:
Since we know the Hex the sub is going to go to; can we lay a minefield to welcome it back?

The answer I would say to this is No. Minefields can be laid in the open ocean but they
deteriorate quickly and the chance that a lone sub will hit a mine in the open ocean is next to zero.
I’m not even sure it is possible since I’ve never seen it happen.
But...I’ve not seen a lot of deep ocean minefields.

Just something to think about.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Trugrit -- 10/24/2021 6:52:30 PM >

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 52
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 10/25/2021 5:43:28 AM   
BBfanboy

I say ixnay on the six X 1DD TFs in the same hex. Previous discussions made it clear that three DDs in the same TF is the ideal number for detecting and attacking the sub. This reflects RL, where a sub could elude a single escort fairly easily but could be boxed in after first contact by an escort group.

Also IME, too many TFs in the same hex make it harder to detect the sub. I don't know why this should be so - I don't think the game models noise saturation with the engines/sonars of many ships in the same area. But over many observations, if I had 2 ASW TFs in the hex, I had a good chance of finding and attacking the sub. If I had three or more TFs, very rarely did I get an attack. My guess is that the detection algorithm can't handle a large number of inputs.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 53
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 10/25/2021 8:47:24 AM   
ITAKLinus

I would also like to add that the more TFs you have in an area and the more likely it is that some important one doesn't get spotted by air search.

Basically, if you flood an area with TFs of various size, the air search will miss a very large number of them. At this regard, arcs can help.

I'm still convinced that arcs are to be discarded in favour of non-arcs.

Allied players might find it different since many of their sea routes are in open ocean, compared to the relatively coastal Japanese ones. As Japanese, I prioritize having my perimeter secured from random raids: ASW is done by the plethora of Jakes in NavS and Sallies/Ann in ASW. No need for arcs for either of those two.

Francesco

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 54
RE: Search - random or set arcs? - 10/25/2021 11:24:04 AM   
Trugrit

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I say ixnay on the six X 1DD TFs in the same hex. Previous discussions made it clear that three DDs in the same TF is the ideal number for detecting and attacking the sub. This reflects RL, where a sub could elude a single escort fairly easily but could be boxed in after first contact by an escort group.

Also IME, too many TFs in the same hex make it harder to detect the sub. I don't know why this should be so - I don't think the game models noise saturation with the engines/sonars of many ships in the same area. But over many observations, if I had 2 ASW TFs in the hex, I had a good chance of finding and attacking the sub. If I had three or more TFs, very rarely did I get an attack. My guess is that the detection algorithm can't handle a large number of inputs.

Try this.

Open and start scenario 6 (December 8: The Full Campaign) in Head to Head Mode.

Stand down all your air groups so you won’t be bothered with air attacks in the replay.

As the Japanese player you know where the I-23 is located (Hex 183,106)

Advance to the Allied player orders and from up six ASW task forces and
set them all to a single hex patrol zone (Hex 183,106)

Stand down all your air groups and run the turn.

Because it is early war you are likely to lose some Destroyers depending on the commander
chosen for the I-23.

I was fortunate and got four attacks on the sub.
No hits because of the low skill of the Destroyers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Search - random or set arcs? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI