Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Submarine Tutorial 1.4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Submarine Tutorial 1.4 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Submarine Tutorial 1.4 - 11/6/2020 12:42:39 PM   
DWReese

A lot has been written in this thread about this scenario. Based on all of that attention, I played the scenario.

The first problem that I had was the sub needs to be in position in order to take on the ship. Unless the sub in in the proper position, it is doomed for failure. I tried it the first time, and I was out of position. I extended that scenario and tried to "catch up" to the ship by speeding up, but I was detected.

I then tried the scenario a second time, and I did manage to get into position. I was slightly off course by about 2 1/2 miles when I fired my torpedoes. The ship was able to evade, and outrun, my torpedoes.

I tried the scenario a third time, this time managing to place my sub directly in the path of the ship. As the ship got near, I say on the bottom, just as the scenario description discussed. The ship passed directly over the sub without detecting it because it was masked by the floor terrain. I was then able to fire my torpedoes at the sub from its baffles, and destroyed the ship without the ship ever even detecting the sub.

thewood1's description of how not get detected and to sink the ship is spot on. The hardest part is trying to get into proper position.

IMO, the scenario description is actually really good, and if you read and follow the instructions, it does properly describe HOW to win the scenario. It also "teaches" or "informs" the game player of a very interesting tactic that I was not aware of before attempting the scenario.

Doug

(in reply to ShadowB)
Post #: 31
RE: Submarine Tutorial 1.4 - 11/6/2020 2:59:22 PM   
thewood1

The two keys I noticed immediately, hinted in the briefing, were the importance of the spy and active pinging from the sonar.

1) Have the spy move down the coast as the ship sails by. They can maintain contact off and on with visual spotting for quite a while. That gives you a pretty good estimate of the speed and direction of the ship. Then I paused it and set a mental timer to know how long I can travel at periscope depth to charge my batteries.
2) Knowing the ship is pinging, you now know you'll see them well before they "see" you. That allows you to stay deep and creep around to get into a final position. But I made sure to stay at zero speed when I estimated they were halfway to my position.

I also fired two torps and the ship out ran them. But while the ship is at 33 knots, the ship is blind. I sped up to a new position to ambush him again because I know exactly where he is going. I was able to get into a new position and fired at 1 nm range and killed him. I then went deep and stopped so the helo wouldn't find me. IIRC, the scenario ends when the ship sinks.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 32
RE: Submarine Tutorial 1.4 - 11/6/2020 5:12:49 PM   
DWReese

A moving spy? Clever. I never thought to do that. Nice job.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 33
RE: Submarine Tutorial 1.4 - 11/8/2020 10:34:49 PM   
Rory Noonan

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

The two keys I noticed immediately, hinted in the briefing, were the importance of the spy and active pinging from the sonar.

1) Have the spy move down the coast as the ship sails by. They can maintain contact off and on with visual spotting for quite a while. That gives you a pretty good estimate of the speed and direction of the ship. Then I paused it and set a mental timer to know how long I can travel at periscope depth to charge my batteries.

Shouldn't have mentioned that; that spy is going to get knee-capped!

Good thinking though!

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 34
RE: Submarine Tutorial 1.4 - 11/8/2020 10:48:10 PM   
thewood1

Thanks

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> RE: Submarine Tutorial 1.4 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI