Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 8/22/2003 1:55:59 AM   
Strat

I like the P4 800Mhz FSB, I like it a LOT, I Don't know. I really don't know. ****, **** ****. (Dam, Dam dam)so many choices.
Sorry but I may turn to intel.
Heat is a problem with my current 1050Mhz AMD unclocked AK32h mobo system. Namely, "shut down". Pain in the posterior. I have three internal fans Plus the power supply fan and all sides off to increase circulation. Tiz a tad noisey.

Probably don't help that my wife has a cold fobia, so we tend to live in the oven.

Strat..

Einstien rules relativity,
Well in theory.

(in reply to Strat)
Post #: 31
Re: Not an expert but, - 8/22/2003 2:08:20 AM   
Voriax

[QUOTE]Originally posted by moore4807
[B]My .02$

AMD is cheaper but the CPU runs hotter = more fans to keep cool, maybe more noise. [/B][/QUOTE]

Utter nonsense...I know several people who have built their own computers *with* AMD chips and *with* the purpose of getting as silent machine as possible. If you get even decent quality coolers/fans you can get an AMD box where the loudest part is the hard drive....and no sacrifices with stability.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Strat)
Post #: 32
- 8/22/2003 3:18:22 AM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by moore4807

AMD is cheaper but the CPU runs hotter = more fans to keep cool, maybe more noise.
[/QUOTE]

Yep pure nonsense. My AMD XP 2400, didnīt go hotter then 35°C and that during our heat wave here. Room temperature around 45°C ;). My best buddies P4 though went up in flames during a compiling session in that very same week.

Below is something I posted a few month ago on a similiar thread on the CL boards:

*snip*

A little bit on cooling.

Itīs very very important to have a correct coolling strategy. Wether Pentium or AMD. On my setup my AMD 2400+ is running at an average temperature of 35°C (room temperature is currently around 28°C), roughly 20°C less then the P4 of my best buddy. And that without anything really special.

1. Airflow:
Thereīs only one that works good, it can drop the temperate by more then 12°C:

[IMG]http://www.hwextreme.com/reviews/power_supply/enermax/eg365p-ve/images/amdrequirements.gif[/IMG]

If you donīt have a power supply with a bottom air intake youīre "doomed" anyway regarding a cool vs. noise setup.
Sadly most bargain Power supplies do not have a bottom air intake.

If the airflow is correct you donīt need a highspeed heatsink -> less noise.

2. Quality fans:
Cheap fans often have the problem that they have cheap bearings (or non at all ;)) and are closed-die pressed with flash. That alone is responsible for major loudness.

So for the case only buy quality fans and when you buy a new CPU Cooler, donīt save the 5 bucks, buy a quality one too. Coolermaster for example (they only use Pabst fans)

3. CPU Cooler:
This one is particular interesting since it uses a totally new concept that provides more cool air to the CPU spot that is hottest:

[URL=http://www.coolermaster.com.hk/product_detail.asp?lang=eng&at=boutique&category_id=1&product_id=9]Coolermaster Aero 7[/URL]

I have it running, kick *** and **** silent.

4. Clear path for the airflow:
Donīt use those standard fat IDE cables. Use rounded ones. The fat standard ones block the airflow and much more cause a lot of noise when air passes by.

5. The CPU coolers/ heat sink base:
Copper only ;)

6. Cooling paste instead of cooling strips:
Yes strips are comfortable but they often do not transmit the heat from the CPU to the heat sink correctly.

7. If you want to go really crazy:
Set up your Pc case with acoustic matting material ;). Works well, but increases the Case temperature a bit.

8. Do not underestimate the noise bargain power supllies make. Thatīs sometimes the most crtiticall part.

For all your needs:
http://www.quietpc.com/

That AMDs are generally louder then Pentiums is a fairy tale.

(in reply to Strat)
Post #: 33
- 8/22/2003 3:20:02 AM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Plus the power supply fan and all sides off to increase circulation. [/QUOTE]

Sides off actually kills the circulation ;)

(in reply to Strat)
Post #: 34
- 8/22/2003 7:46:08 AM   
moore4807

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]Yep pure nonsense. My AMD XP 2400, didnīt go hotter then 35°C and that during our heat wave here. Room temperature around 45°C ;). My best buddies P4 though went up in flames during a compiling session in that very same week.

Below is something I posted a few month ago on a similiar thread on the CL boards:

*snip*

A little bit on cooling.

Itīs very very important to have a correct coolling strategy. Wether Pentium or AMD. On my setup my AMD 2400+ is running at an average temperature of 35°C (room temperature is currently around 28°C), roughly 20°C less then the P4 of my best buddy. And that without anything really special.

1. Airflow:
Thereīs only one that works good, it can drop the temperate by more then 12°C:

[IMG]http://www.hwextreme.com/reviews/power_supply/enermax/eg365p-ve/images/amdrequirements.gif[/IMG]

If you donīt have a power supply with a bottom air intake youīre "doomed" anyway regarding a cool vs. noise setup.
Sadly most bargain Power supplies do not have a bottom air intake.

If the airflow is correct you donīt need a highspeed heatsink -> less noise.

2. Quality fans:
Cheap fans often have the problem that they have cheap bearings (or non at all ;)) and are closed-die pressed with flash. That alone is responsible for major loudness.

So for the case only buy quality fans and when you buy a new CPU Cooler, donīt save the 5 bucks, buy a quality one too. Coolermaster for example (they only use Pabst fans)

3. CPU Cooler:
This one is particular interesting since it uses a totally new concept that provides more cool air to the CPU spot that is hottest:

[URL=http://www.coolermaster.com.hk/product_detail.asp?lang=eng&at=boutique&category_id=1&product_id=9]Coolermaster Aero 7[/URL]

I have it running, kick *** and **** silent.

4. Clear path for the airflow:
Donīt use those standard fat IDE cables. Use rounded ones. The fat standard ones block the airflow and much more cause a lot of noise when air passes by.

5. The CPU coolers/ heat sink base:
Copper only ;)

6. Cooling paste instead of cooling strips:
Yes strips are comfortable but they often do not transmit the heat from the CPU to the heat sink correctly.

7. If you want to go really crazy:
Set up your Pc case with acoustic matting material ;). Works well, but increases the Case temperature a bit.

8. Do not underestimate the noise bargain power supllies make. Thatīs sometimes the most crtiticall part.

For all your needs:
http://www.quietpc.com/

That AMDs are generally louder then Pentiums is a fairy tale. [/B][/QUOTE]

Now,Now
Marc - never said they were louder- I said they run hotter!
if your buddy's CPU was generating 20 degrees celcius HOTTER than your AMD 2400, then he was frying his chipset like an egg!

My point is AMD requires more cooling to maintain CPU temp than P4. It doesnt mean louder- like you I used coolermaster fans and they keep it quiet enough to hear the HDD kick on and off on the AMD systems I built. I used 2 fans per unit (same as your illustration) and mobo temp never went over 110 degrees on either unit.
On my P4 homebuild the mobo temp is a cool 95 degrees with the same two fan configuration... quiet as a church mouse! I can get away with one fan on the P4 - but for 15$ how can you pass it up on a second fan?

(in reply to Strat)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote