Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> zzzzzzzzzzzzz Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
zzzzzzzzzzzzz - 8/12/2003 7:55:38 AM   
YohanTM2

Everyone on vacation or is the revised date giving folks the blues? I'm all for the delay and a better product.
Post #: 1
- 8/12/2003 8:10:57 AM   
Forward_March

Who puts these bloody polls in, anyway? Major waste of time/webspace

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 2
Re: zzzzzzzzzzzzz - 8/12/2003 1:12:15 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yohan
[B]Everyone on vacation or is the revised date giving folks the blues? I'm all for the delay and a better product. [/B][/QUOTE] ROFLMAO.. On holidays.. The testers are up to their elbows in testing the latest build. When the game is right it will go gold and nor before...

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 3
Re: Re: zzzzzzzzzzzzz - 8/12/2003 1:22:22 PM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ross Moorhouse
[B]ROFLMAO.. On holidays.. The testers are up to their elbows in testing the latest build. When the game is right it will go gold and nor before... [/B][/QUOTE]

well, personally I am losing faith in these "game testers", however, I will wait to see the finished product before I blast anyone. :) (how nice of me right? lol)

The problem with most of the "game testers" is that they don't have much time to test. Most of these guys seem to be daddies and working men, who don't have much time (maybe 1-2 hours a day) to due the testing. I just think maybe the game testers should have been picked with a more strict eye, not simply because they have bought a lot of games from Matrix.

If you reply to me and my opinion, you are dumb. It is MY opinion. So don't tell me what a jerk I am, or how stupid I am. Or do. I really don't care.

I sure hope this game lives up to all this hype and is a good representation of all the time being devoted to this game (time being the length it is taken, not the actual manhours).

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 4
- 8/12/2003 3:32:15 PM   
von Murrin

I think you'll find that Matrix, like any self-respecting developer/publisher, picked testers that would give them the best results. :)

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 5
- 8/12/2003 5:11:30 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by von Murrin
[B]I think you'll find that Matrix, like any self-respecting developer/publisher, picked testers that would give them the best results. :) [/B][/QUOTE] That is correct...

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 6
Re: Re: Re: zzzzzzzzzzzzz - 8/12/2003 5:20:05 PM   
Ross Moorhouse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ryta1203
[B]well, personally I am losing faith in these "game testers", however, I will wait to see the finished product before I blast anyone. :) (how nice of me right? lol)

The problem with most of the "game testers" is that they don't have much time to test. Most of these guys seem to be daddies and working men, who don't have much time (maybe 1-2 hours a day) to due the testing. I just think maybe the game testers should have been picked with a more strict eye, not simply because they have bought a lot of games from Matrix.

If you reply to me and my opinion, you are dumb. It is MY opinion. So don't tell me what a jerk I am, or how stupid I am. Or do. I really don't care.

I sure hope this game lives up to all this hype and is a good representation of all the time being devoted to this game (time being the length it is taken, not the actual manhours). [/B][/QUOTE]

The developer gives out a list of things he has fixed. The testers then go and test that these things have been fixed. If they havent the developer then checks what he/she has done and the we get the testers to test that item again.

I have seen our testers find things that the developer never even knew the game was doing.

If a tester dosn't test for a pre-determined period of time they are booted out. We do not have slack testers here at Matrix.

Testers to some degree have a say in what they would like in the game. But thats dosn't mean that it will go into the game.

Anyone that slags off at testers has no idea what the testers do, how many hours they put in. Believe some put in hours that are long and hard and they get to bed very early in the morning because they have been testings. They do it on their weekends instead of going out with the family.

I started as a mod maker in this industry. Then was asked by a developer to be a tester for them. I have been a tester for 3 different compaines besides Matrix. My wife has been a P.C widow at times due to me testing till the wee hours of the morning.

I suggest that you apply to a game company to be a tester and cross over to the other side and see what it is like.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 7
- 8/12/2003 8:41:52 PM   
mmurray821

It is both fun and sucks. I enjoy finding what is wrong and (hopefully) seeing it fixed along with some suggestions I have. It sucks because the work is long, somewhat tedious (play the same level 30 freaken times and you get the idea) and sometimes you don't see fixes implimented before the product ships.

Life of the tester.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 8
- 8/12/2003 8:47:13 PM   
Le Tondu

Hey,
I'm here too. Yeah, its been slow around here. Blah, blah, blah. ;)

Doesn't Matrix know that the Iraqis are gonna keep shooting at our troops until it is released. Only then will there be peace in Iraq. ;)

Vive l'Empereur!

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 9
Re: Re: Re: Re: zzzzzzzzzzzzz - 8/12/2003 9:15:46 PM   
von Murrin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ross Moorhouse
[B]Anyone that slags off at testers has no idea what the testers do, how many hours they put in. Believe some put in hours that are long and hard and they get to bed very early in the morning because they have been testings. They do it on their weekends instead of going out with the family.[/B][/QUOTE]

Ross articulated my point quite nicely.

This is precisely why I will never apply for a beta: I'm far too busy. While it might be fun and I'm sure my detail-oriented personality would be perfect for it, I see no reason why my sorry butt should slow down the testing process or eat up a beta slot when someone much more dedicated can do it instead.

Unfinished products are ALWAYS the result of one of two things: a revolutionary concept (Uncommon Valor, Hearts of Iron) or being pushed out the door too early by the publisher (Hearts of Iron :p). I'll leave beta testing to dedicated testers and wait patiently for the finished product. :)

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 10
- 8/12/2003 9:36:53 PM   
YohanTM2

Hey Ross,

I was commenting on people posting on the forum not to you or the testers. I am sure you guys are all busy as hell.

Tad touchy these days? :eek:

Yohan

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 11
Re: Re: Re: zzzzzzzzzzzzz - 8/12/2003 9:55:21 PM   
Wynter

Wrote a reply to Ryta and deleted it.
It's not worth it...

Jeroen.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 12
Re: Re: Re: Re: zzzzzzzzzzzzz - 8/13/2003 12:18:10 AM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE][B]I suggest that you apply to a game company to be a tester and cross over to the other side and see what it is like. [/B][/QUOTE]

I did, and I have done testing before.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 13
- 8/13/2003 8:56:13 PM   
Pippin

Well, at least I am not a father..... YET!

Phew...

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 14
- 8/14/2003 2:36:48 AM   
YohanTM2

[QUOTE]I suggest that you apply to a game company to be a tester and cross over to the other side and see what it is like.[/QUOTE]

I could not agree with you more Ross. I was a tester for Talonsoft for 3 or 4 games and it is a ton of work and fun if you have the time.

I'm glad you guys have a group of folks you are happy with, they will help make the final version a success.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 15
- 8/17/2003 7:28:54 AM   
bilbow

I have a lot of respect for folks willing to give up their play time to test. Fun maybe, but also lots of work. I don't volunteer as a tester anymore because I'd rather play the game than test it. I'm glad there are enough folks out there who will test, or we wouldn't be getting some of these great games at all.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> zzzzzzzzzzzzz Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI