Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SOW GB and WL Runtime error

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> SOW GB and WL Runtime error Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SOW GB and WL Runtime error - 11/18/2020 9:50:08 PM   
Steveonfirst

I have owned SOW Gettysburg and Waterloo since released. Have had no problems since the purchase. Recently, MS updated my computer with MS Edge browser. I don't know what other upgrades were included, but ever since get a runtime error message when I try to open/play the SOW apps. I researched on line and tried a number of fixes, but no joy. Error message follows:

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more information."

I would appreciate any guidance towards resolving this issue. I love the games, many happy hours playing the base games and the mods.

Regards, Hancock.

Hancock The Superb

"There are times when a corp commander's life does not count.." Major General W.S. Hancock- "Thunderbolt of the Army of the Potomac"
Post #: 1
RE: SOW GB and WL Runtime error - 11/21/2020 7:28:48 PM   
zakblood

anything to do with runtime errors, normally means run the pre requisites again and or repair

only one the game uses is DirectX

which is in the game install folder called _CommonRedist

good luck

(in reply to Steveonfirst)
Post #: 2
RE: SOW GB and WL Runtime error - 11/21/2020 9:50:48 PM   
Steveonfirst

Thanks, Zak. Did some research on that, but not a tech genius. When you say run the prerequisites again, what is that process. Also, would deleting and reinstalling the most recent DirectX app be a possible solution.

Again, thanks for responde.

Hancock The Superb

"There are times when a corp commander's life does not count.." Major General W.S. Hancock- "Thunderbolt of the Army of the Potomac"

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: SOW GB and WL Runtime error - 11/22/2020 6:42:20 AM   
zakblood

the game only uses DirectX 9.0c if memory serves me right, or what ever is in the folder mentioned, so just install that

having a later version doesn't apply, as there not backwards compatible either, so would need all versions, one version for each game, as windows 10 comes with version 12 only

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/directx-9-on-windows-10/7b7cec82-4a6d-4bb8-b7a5-3889aae764c1

for the download link to re install

< Message edited by zakblood -- 11/22/2020 7:42:33 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: SOW GB and WL Runtime error - 11/26/2020 12:05:28 PM   
Steveonfirst

Many thanks, Zak. I'll try that solution and get back with results, may answer questions others may have on the same topic.

Hope you have a relaxing Thanksgiving holiday.

Hancock The Superb

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: SOW GB and WL Runtime error - 1/22/2021 2:17:56 PM   
Steveonfirst

Late feedback re the runtime issue: Never did resolve the issue. However, I was due for a new laptop (8 years), so game runs fine on the new equipment with one small exception:

I loaded both SOWG and SOWWL and set Windows 7 compatibility. The only issue is the cursor flickers/disappears when navigating the respective menus. No issues before opening the game or "in game", just in the menu environments. Every hear of this problem, any suggestions?

Thanks, Hancock

Hancock The Superb

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> SOW GB and WL Runtime error Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI