Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> AAR >> TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 12:16:58 PM   
Taifun

I am starting a new AAR resuming our current ELO tournament game, me as TAIFUN playing the villain Axis invaders versus Calcwerc playing the honorable Allies. As I did before in WiE this AAR will lag behind the current turn about 10-18 months, so now that we are currently in Spring 1942 I will start with a resume of the first year of our World War.
As I write this lines I am ranked as Nº2 at the WiE ELO tournament managed by Markiss behind “the King” Fafnir so I am quite experienced with SC. This is my second game in WAW and I will comment my strategies and the main differences and surprises that I found compared with WiE.

The firsts thing that you need to do when you change form one game to the other is to get used to the time/space scales. This is difficult. After playing for many years at a European scale the change to a World Scale is scary at first. I found out in my first game that the turns are monthly based vs WiE were the summer turns are shorter, 15 days long, so you have less turns in the summer to launch your offensives. The land units in WAW move the same amount of hexes as in WiE so they can move “faster” as the map scale is smaller and this have various serious consequences. As a German player it is much easier to move your units from the East to the West front…

La clé est l'état d'esprit
Post #: 1
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 12:18:21 PM   
Taifun

September 1939
Luxembourg is invited to join the German Reich by our friendly infantry troops.

The 2 available Luftwaffe Tactical Bomber Wings will not take part in the Polish attack and instead I moved them towards the West Front along with the fighter plane wings.
The 3rd Panzerkorps near Danzig was also earmarked for the initial attack in the West so after being engaged briefly in the Polish campaign they move West along with von Rundstedt HQ. As well, other German Armies end the turn in railroads hexes to be operationally transported to the West next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 2
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 12:20:12 PM   
Taifun

October 1939
Warsaw is captured by the 4th Panzerkorps with the help of the Luftwaffe Bomber Wing and Poland surrenders at the end of the turn.
In the West Front, after the capture of Luxembourg by our joyful troops, the French unexpectedly left the area South of the Ardennes free of troops and we occupied those 2 key hexes without a fight. At the same time 4 Armies and the 3rd Panzerkorps end the turn in position near the Belgium border to attack next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 3
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 12:21:46 PM   
Taifun

November 1939
After a brief fight Brussels is captured and Belgium surrenders at the end of the turn. Our attack in the West looks very promising as we advance to within 1 hex from Paris! The lone British infantry corps defending Amiens looks hardly intimidating.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 4
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 12:23:29 PM   
Taifun

January 1940
The Allied main line of defense is tested by our forward troops but we are unable to advance due to bad weather conditions. Worst still, a German Army is destroyed near Paris in a well executed Allied counterattack.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 5
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 12:25:37 PM   
Taifun

February 1940
We reach the outskirts of Paris from the North with an Infantry corps. We are slowly upgrading our troops for the Spring offensive but there are not many MPPs available as Research is our main priority. The BEF Army is stationed at Le Havre and no British AA troops or planes are detected in France. It looks like the British will not make a big effort to help their French comrades … I personally like to ship to the continent 2-3 British AA units to make life harder for the German invader. They are great in land/air defense specially if positioned in marsh areas.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 6
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 12:28:04 PM   
Taifun

March 1940
Our Infantry corp near Paris is destroyed in another well lead Allied counterattack. We start to push South between Chalons and Nancy, the idea being to attack the French Capital from the Southeast and isolate the Maginot line from the rest of the country with the help of Fallschirmjager paratroops. Additional German troops arrive, the most important unit being the fully upgraded Panzerkorps near Dusseldorf. One of our 6 rated HQs is now upgraded to von Manstein's HQ rated 9 to take control of the main punch. Many of our infantry units are still not upgraded to level 1 and the Luftwaffe tactical bombers are also not upgraded due to lack of MPPs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 7
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 12:30:55 PM   
Taifun

April 1940
A Fallschirmjager para unit jumps and takes control of Dijon, isolating the Maginot line and 5 French infantry units from the main fighting. The British defending Amiens are surrounded to be destroyed next turn in low supply. The road to Paris is now open…

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 8
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 12:33:23 PM   
Taifun

May 1940
Coming from the Southeast our 2 Panzerkorps destroy the 2 French HQs stationed adjacent to Paris. I like to position my HQs further back not in such exposed positions…
The BEF Army is isolated at Le Havre and Caen is captured.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 9
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 12:34:47 PM   
Taifun

June 1940
The BEF infantry defending Le Havre left the continent during the Allied turn, surely being missed by many French girls of dubious reputation…
Paris was captured with few losses and France will surrender next turn. The Vichy government will be installed in place and the country divided in two. Unfortunately for the Allied player the French special forces and Heavy tank arrived too late and could not be used effectively.

It is clear to me now that an early attack during the fall 1939 is a better strategy for the Axis players than to wait to be fully ready Spring 1940. We took some losses during this campaign including an infantry corps and an Army but very few planes were lost mainly because of lack of air opposition and British AA units. My opponent did a good job holding the line with the few troops available to him.

As a resumé so far:

• The USSR invaded Finland winter 1939 but the Allies arrived in time to help the Finns. Finland moved away from the German sphere of influence…
• Norway was invaded per scrip spring 1940 but Denmark remained neutral as did the Netherlands…

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 10
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 12:37:00 PM   
Taifun

July-September 1940
During these 3 turns a series of air-battles took place over the British mainland. Having no intention to invade the main Island we made several fighter sweeps that were intercepted by the RAF and exchanged heavy blows. After this preliminary work we attacked the port of Bristol in force, where an aircraft carrier was stationed, with 2 upgraded medium bomber wings but failed to sink this ship. Then with the arrival of the bad weather all was over and we left the hostile British skies forever…

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Taifun -- 11/19/2020 12:38:41 PM >

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 11
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 1:16:55 PM   
fluidwill matrix

Great stuff, thanks!

< Message edited by fluidwill matrix -- 11/19/2020 2:25:48 PM >

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 12
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 1:32:30 PM   
Taifun

Mediterranean Area 1939-1940
As Axis our strategy in the South will be one of containment. We will not fight for Libya and will reinforce Abyssinia. As other players have stated before I do not think that Germany should be involved in a fight in North Africa as they need every MPP for the real war against the USSR. Italy entered the War much earlier than I expected very early 1940.
The whole French Navy was looking for a fight and attacked several of our ports in the Italian mainland in a series of search and destroy missions… they got what they where looking for and lost 1 BB, 1 CL and 2 destroyers in futile attacks against our main BBs in well defended ports. But then the Royal Navy arrived in force April-May 1940 with 3 carriers and support ships… in a series of sustained attacks they managed to sink 2 BBs, 1 CL and 1 DD plus very severe damage to the remaining Italian BB (1 point left and miraculously escaped destruction). The British embarked air wings took some heavy damage and left the area 2-5 strength...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fluidwill matrix)
Post #: 13
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 1:35:41 PM   
Taifun

Tobruk being left defended by a weak Garrison unit fell easily as did Benghazi August 1940. Tripoli was left alone for a time but eventually was equally occupied after a short fight, the damaged defending Italian Army escaping miraculously to continue the fight in the mainland…

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 14
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 1:37:27 PM   
Taifun

Meanwhile, as stated before, Abyssinia was reinforced with an Army and an additional Infantry corps from Italy (that moved on the first turn before the Allies blocked the Strait of Gibraltar). A medium bomber wing followed by a fighter wing will arrive afterwards. Our strategy will be one of delaying the fall of our Colonies: to make the allies spent units and MMPs in a growing effort to occupy the area.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 15
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 1:40:38 PM   
Taifun

Initially the Allies attacked in the summer 1940 coming from Kenya with the South Africans towards Mogadishu but were unable to take the town. At the same time they move an Infantry corps from Egypt supported by an Indian HQ to hold Berbera in British Somaliland.
By the end of the year additional forces were engaged by the Allies in an effort to stretch our forces to the limit.
While Massawa was being assailed in the North a Kenyan Garrison approaching towards Bonga from the South was nearly destroyed by our defending forces. Indian Heavy artillery arrived near Berbera to start pounding our defending Army in the mountain pass…

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 16
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 5:07:36 PM   
Taifun

February 1941
For many months the Italian Air Force enjoyed air superiority bombing ships and troops at will (heavily damaging an Australian CA). More good news arrived from the Southern area.
An Italian infantry corps pushing South from Addis Ababa after destroying the Kenyan Garrison captured an undefended Nairobi and the whole of Kenya falled in our hands! We got there just before the South Africans!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 17
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 5:09:47 PM   
Taifun

Benito Mussolini flies himself immediately with his own plane to Addis Ababa to congratulate the victorious troops!!! a bunch of medals are distributed among the soldiers and then leaves the area a week later.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 18
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 5:11:47 PM   
Taifun

June 1941
As expected the Italians are doing a great job holding the Abyssinian Theatre of Operations and the Allies are compelled to bring serious reinforcements to unlock the situation. A strategic bomber wing together with a tactical bomber wing supported by spitfires arrive from Egypt to Khartoum. They immediately start a serious bombing camping slowly gaining air superiority…

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Taifun -- 11/19/2020 5:13:13 PM >

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 19
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 5:14:27 PM   
Taifun

September 1941
The deteriorating situation forces our retreat from Nairobi as the Infantry corps in needed to reinforce the Northern sector near Massawa. An Indian Army arrived Berbera and begun attacking our entrenched troops near Dire Dawa…

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 20
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/19/2020 5:15:43 PM   
Taifun

December 1941
Massawa was captured a few turns ago with the help of UK field artillery and now the supply situation is a complete mess as the British heavy bombers are reducing Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa to ruins… Our medium bomber wing left the area for a time of rest and refit at home. The South Africans are pushing from the South towards the Capital: the situation in Abyssinia is becoming serious

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Taifun -- 11/19/2020 5:21:34 PM >

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 21
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/20/2020 11:04:08 AM   
calcwerc

Enjoyable AAR and game :)
Thanks for posting!

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 22
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/21/2020 10:00:35 AM   
Taifun

CHINA 1939-1941

One thing that I learned from my previous game was that the War with China will be a long war of attrition. Studying the terrain we conceived a simple plan of attack in two phases. The NM objective city of Chengchow is a relatively accessible target that opens the road towards Sian, another important NM Objective and Industrial Center. But the city of Ichang is a hard nut to crack that acts as a thorn on our side as we push North from Wuhan towards Chengchow. For this reason we will concentrate our efforts in attacking first the Capital Chungking.

In the first phase of operations (red arrows) the emphasis will be placed in the South with the city of Nanning and the southern approaches of the mine town of Kweichow as objectives. After the fall of Changsha the main force will be divided in two. One pincer advancing through Hengyang and Kweilin towards Nanning and the other pincer will advance directly West taking the road leading to Kweichow. Some Chinese pressure could be expected from the Chengchow area and a consequent force will be ready to defend this sector of the front.

In the second phase of operations (blue arrows) the attack towards the Capital will take place from two axes: North from the general area of Kweichow and directly West from Ichang. After the fall of Ichang the NM objective city of Chengchow will be simultaneously stormed to divide the Chinese forces in their defensive efforts.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Taifun -- 11/21/2020 1:12:46 PM >

(in reply to calcwerc)
Post #: 23
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/21/2020 10:17:27 AM   
Taifun

February 1940
The first objective cities of Changsha and Hengyang are now in our hands. At the same time, deviating from the master attack plan, we advance cautiously some of our troops from Wuhan in an attempt to envelop Ichang from the North. They will have to cross the river and establishing a bridgehead. This advance will cause a reaction from the Chinese in the area, so we hope no further reinforcements will reach the South sector of the Front. Most of our troops are now upgraded to Infantry weapons level 1.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Taifun -- 11/21/2020 1:16:23 PM >

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 24
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/21/2020 10:19:09 AM   
Taifun

March 1940
In the South area of the Front we reach the town of Kweilin and prepare the assault.
Deviating again from the master attack plan we attack in force and successfully create a bridgehead southeast of Ichang. The Chinese HQ stationed in the town is damaged in the process. The push West from Changscha is halted for a time as the troops concentrate their efforts around Ichang.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Taifun -- 11/21/2020 1:15:58 PM >

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 25
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/21/2020 10:28:06 AM   
Taifun

April 1940
The town of Kweilin is attacked and the Chinese defenders are destroyed but we are unable to enter the town due to the mud. The Chinese are not able to reinforce Ichang as there is no railroad link to the Capital and are now in a difficult position… They have their main AA units in the South Front but still no troops are upgraded.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 26
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/21/2020 1:57:43 PM   
Taifun

May 1940
The Chinese keep pouring troops in the defense of Kweilin and they are dutifully destroyed… but we are unable to enter the town for the time being. The important city of Nanning, our main objective in the first phase of operations, is invested near the coast.
The town of Ichang is by now almost entirely encircled, one of our armies successfully crossed the river and established a bridgehead North of the town attacking the defending Chinese HQ in the process.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 27
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/21/2020 1:59:50 PM   
Taifun

June 1940
The Chinese counterattack in force from the Chengchow area destroying one of our Armies and isolating another North of Ichang. We try to restore the situation with the help of our aviation, destroying the Ichang defending Chinese Infantry Corps but are unable to free our comrades that will be destroyed out of supply next turn.
The Japanese pressure against Nanning continues near the coast.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 28
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/21/2020 2:01:48 PM   
Taifun

July 1940
Kweilin is finally captured by our forces after many months of fanatical Chinese defense. The situation around Ichang is now under control and we position our troops for the final attack next turn. The first artillery unit arrives China via Shanghai with made in Japan heavy artillery tubes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 29
RE: TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 - 11/21/2020 2:07:13 PM   
Taifun

August 1940
Ichang falls after a brief fight as expected and we exploit the breakthrough towards the big Capital surprising in our fast advance a Chinese HQ that is heavily damaged and swept aside and an engineer unit building forts outside the big metropolis. Although the issue of the Ichang battle was never in doubt it has been a costly battle where we lost 2 veteran armies. Our aviation was the key to all our operations, enjoying total air supremacy and inflicting damage at will along the whole front. Ichang was indeed a hard nut to crak.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Taifun)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> AAR >> TAIFUN (Axis) vs Calcwerc (allies) Full game 1939 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI