Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement Features

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement Features Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 12/22/2020 12:49:03 PM   
CJM

I am very much looking forward to WiTE2, as I love WiTE1, but hope that the designers keep in mind (despite the fact that everyone who buys this game enjoys it partly for its complexity and size) that "fudging" is important -- while a game needs to be realistic, it also needs to be fun.

Remember SPI's "Campaign in North Africa" where it was suggested that one player on the Axis side do nothing but logistics? Some wags called it "Bookkeeping in North Africa." Realistic? Certainly. Fun? Not so much.

Luckily, the computer can do most if not all of the tedious work for you (and you may even punt less important parts of the game to the AI) and this allows a level of detail unheard of when we were moving cardboard counters along a paper map. But still, anything can be taken too far.

That all being said, I am very much in line to purchase a copy as soon as it comes out! Kudos to all who worked on this!

The Wehrmacht that set out to conquer Russia in 1941 was a poor army with strictly limited resources.
- Supplying War (1977)

(in reply to meyer2_slith)
Post #: 31
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 12/26/2020 1:20:44 AM   
LarryP

Thank you all for what you are sharing. It's just making this WiTE and WiTW junkie all the more addicted and waiting impatiently.

(in reply to CJM)
Post #: 32
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 12/27/2020 8:59:15 PM   
wodin

Love the new CPP feature.

Post #: 33
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 12/29/2020 4:32:56 PM   
wpurdom

quote:

Pre war logistical planning showed that after 20 days logistical effort, to support an operational bound of 300 miles in which Russian forced were to be destroyed and the war won) supplies would drop to 10-20% of requirments and an operational pause would result, so as to build up supplies for any further offensives.

Maths shows an average of 70 tons per day per formation was all that could be delivered.
If priority was given to the Panzer forces, then 33 formations daily requirements could be meet, leaving nothing for any other formations.

To go beyond the 300 operational bound ment resupply from the RR, first bound ended at Smolensk, RR conversion to German gauge took till August to convert, so 30 days after getting there, the logistical ability to go on from there became present.

The logistics branch of the OKH was blunt in its prediction for another advance from Smolensk to Moscow: ( supply branch of the OKH warned Brauchitsch, Halder and Bock) 'if the intensity of fighting and the operational rythm was to be similar to that of the summer campaign, the supply system would be able to cover a bit over 50% of AGC's needs for a space of time of two weeks. More than that, and the system would collapse and the it would be able to deliver just between 10-20% of the total load of supplies needed'.

The 1941 munition supplies reaching the front by month.Source:Germany and WWII Tome
June :23077 tons
July :101594
August:118855
September: 107870
October:90563
November:68035

Does this means that we're not rebuilding RRs on the map in WITE2? Are we using different mechanics on supply? What does the player do and see as to the suply logistics?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 34
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 12/29/2020 6:27:46 PM   
RedLancer

Our next showcase will look at logistics. Hanny, whom you quote, has not been involved in WitE2 testing and is quoting from historic sources. You can look forward to finding out that RRs on the map can do more than just repair rail .

< Message edited by RedLancer -- 12/29/2020 6:29:12 PM >

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to wpurdom)
Post #: 35
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 1/10/2021 6:24:33 PM   
Shupov

Does rear area administration movement take river bridges into account? It would seem that rear area bridges may still be intact, in which case crossing rivers could incur reduced movement penalties.

STALINADE

The real RED soda!

Post #: 36
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 1/10/2021 8:31:43 PM   
Joel Billings

Admin movement (which is in your territory) helps account for that somewhat.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Shupov)
Post #: 37
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 1/13/2021 6:07:34 PM   
Balou

"Amateurs study tactics, armchair generals study strategy, but professionals study logistics”.
With all this rail and road logistics stuff plus CPP etc, it sounds like WITE finally is coming closer and closer to a what I was always looking for. Thank you !

“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 38
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 3/24/2021 5:41:03 PM   
Repsol

hello...

I'm obviously a bit late with this question/suggestion to have any impact on the release version of the game but...
- Have you guys (the devs) considdered to perhaps add a colour coded road quality overlay function (toggable via a hotkey) that would colour code the various hexes in for example green, yellow and red dependant on the roadquality in the hex ?

This would make it far easier to differenciate the various types of roads for people with somewhat restricted eyesight and also make it possible to see the roadconditions with the map more zoomed out...as well as in areas that are heavely covered with unitcounters...

Post #: 39
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 3/24/2021 5:50:06 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Repsol

hello...

I'm obviously a bit late with this question/suggestion to have any impact on the release version of the game but...
- Have you guys (the devs) considdered to perhaps add a colour coded road quality overlay function (toggable via a hotkey) that would colour code the various hexes in for example green, yellow and red dependant on the roadquality in the hex ?

This would make it far easier to differenciate the various types of roads for people with somewhat restricted eyesight and also make it possible to see the roadconditions with the map more zoomed out...as well as in areas that are heavely covered with unitcounters...

such a map mode does indeed exist, a lot of testers use it almost all the time, esp as the Axis side in 1941 as the differences in road quality can be critical

(in reply to Repsol)
Post #: 40
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 3/24/2021 6:22:05 PM   
Repsol

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Repsol

hello...

such a map mode does indeed exist, a lot of testers use it almost all the time, esp as the Axis side in 1941 as the differences in road quality can be critical

Good

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 41
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 4/3/2021 5:46:18 PM   
Jonathan Pollard

Does the game still have weekly IGO/UGO turns where one side basically can make no reactions for an entire week against what the other side is doing?

(in reply to CJM)
Post #: 42
RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement ... - 4/3/2021 6:01:18 PM   
devoncop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jonathan Pollard

Does the game still have weekly IGO/UGO turns where one side basically can make no reactions for an entire week against what the other side is doing?

As it is an IGO-UGO game the answer is obviously yes though Air operations can be set that utilise both fighters and bombers during the enemy turn and units can be given Reserve status allowing them to automatically come to the aid of your defending troops if attacked during the opposition turn depending on a number of factors such as their Commanders ratings.

The result is actually a very dynamic experience

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"

(in reply to Jonathan Pollard)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> The War Room >> RE: Showcasing WitE2 #1 - New Ground Combat & Movement Features Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI