Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Zone of Control(zoc) for naval units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Zone of Control(zoc) for naval units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Zone of Control(zoc) for naval units - 12/16/2020 2:20:46 AM   
rarothl

I always appreciate everyone's help with this great game.
I understand ZOC for land units pretty well.
However, I don't understand ZOC for naval units.
It seems that some units can attack and move away while others are stuck next to the attacked unit.
Is there some formula or chart that explains ZOC more clearly for naval units?
I looked in the manual, etc. but I haven't found much on the topic.
Post #: 1
RE: Zone of Control(zoc) for naval units - 12/16/2020 3:22:51 AM   
MVP7

Presuming you had no eyes on the enemy ship before moving: If you sail a destroyer into enemy battleship the enemy battleship will automatically attack you because the odds favor it. If you sail a battleship into enemy destroyer the destroyer will not automatically attack the battleship because the odds are against it but you can still initiate the combat yourself. If naval unit has taken part in combat it loses a large chunk of any remaining movement AP which is why the units stick most of the time you wouldn't want them to.

Submarines that are not in silent mode will attack most ships that sail into them with the exception of destroyers that generally have better odds even in those situations. Submarines in silent mode can't attack so whatever you sail into them will typically still have the options to attack or move.

That's just how I have figured the system works so no guarantees it's accurate .

(in reply to rarothl)
Post #: 2
RE: Zone of Control(zoc) for naval units - 12/16/2020 6:06:24 PM   
rarothl

Thanks for your reply. It motivated me to look more closely in the manual.
I believe the answer to my question is not concerning ZOC but rather Surprise Encounters (p105) & sub movement(p117-118).
That helps a lot.

(in reply to MVP7)
Post #: 3
RE: Zone of Control(zoc) for naval units - 12/26/2020 5:22:04 PM   
Hairog

In the Naval Mods, the naval units do have zones of control that act like the ones on land. This represents the same "friction" that a land unit or task force would experience when trying to fight through or avoid other units. In reality enemy task forces did not just ignore each other, but either fought it out, tried to escape and get pursued or both parties disengaged but each one of these took time and effort.

This is one of the major changes we've made in the naval mods along with defensive evasion. CV task forces are very hard to engage in surface combat. This follows historical fact. Only two CV were sunk in surface combat in all of WWII and each of those had very unusual circumstances. One was commanded by an absolute idiot and the other got caught at dawn by a task force that was screened by some islands.

In the Mod you will not have much, if any, luck in sliding up to a CV task force and engage in surface combat. Quite frankly I suggest that you do not try and make better use your units elsewhere.

WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be

(in reply to rarothl)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Zone of Control(zoc) for naval units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI