Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Haulers and why do we need them?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Haulers and why do we need them? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Haulers and why do we need them? - 12/16/2020 2:13:28 PM   
kicktothehead

I "think" you only build/design haulers for your infantry?
you get a bonus when infantry is in their group?
Is my understanding correct?

Thank you
Post #: 1
RE: Haulers and why do we need them? - 12/16/2020 2:38:37 PM   
Uemon

Nope. A lot of different infantry types (not just infantry itself) can have attached trucks. What happens in that cause is two things:

-first, you will be able to move on flat terrain further (at the cost of being unable to get into mountains) - which means you can use truck supported formations to encircle enemies (the most powerful way of beating opponents).
-second, you will be able to move on roads MUCH MUCH further than regular unmounted units.

This however comes at certain costs:

-The independent motorized units will usually have fewer fighting units within it than unmotorized formations.
-Motorized formations are a lot more expensive industry and metal wise, AND they cost fuel to operate.

The best way to test this for yourself is to try using artillery as frontline weapon. You will quickly realize how powerful motorized artillery is, because unlike towed artillery, it can actually keep pace with forward elements of your army and both move and fire in the same turn (as long as youre fighting on flat terrain).

I would go as far as to say that motorized units are essential and you should always have a bunch following your tanks.

(in reply to kicktothehead)
Post #: 2
RE: Haulers and why do we need them? - 12/16/2020 4:44:24 PM   
kicktothehead

quote:

it can actually keep pace with forward elements of your army and both move and fire in the same turn

Ah ok gotcha.
So you mean - tanks and infantry moving the front lines with the artillery able to keep up?

(in reply to Uemon)
Post #: 3
RE: Haulers and why do we need them? - 12/16/2020 4:54:18 PM   
zgrssd

If you add Trucks to any infantry* unit, you create Motorized Infantry.
Wich fights like Infantry, but moves like trucks.

As with any other strategy game, the performance of motorized infantry is quite bad in anything but road and flat hexes. However for SE, it is only the movement performance - not combat performance.

*Infantry for this includes towed artillery, towed AA, MG, RPG troops and anything else thast is not a seperate vehicle.

The main issue with the current itteration is that the hauling capacity of the truck and the weight of the gear does not mater. And also that you need as much manpower for the trucks as you need for the original unit. I hope Vix gets around to fix both issues, already made some suggestion there. And the propblem is kinda similar to Air bridges in the end...

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 12/16/2020 4:56:32 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Haulers and why do we need them? - 12/17/2020 2:22:46 AM   
Uemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: kicktothehead

quote:

it can actually keep pace with forward elements of your army and both move and fire in the same turn

Ah ok gotcha.
So you mean - tanks and infantry moving the front lines with the artillery able to keep up?

Yup. Tanks serve 2 critical roles. They are 1.) break through tool and 2.) mop up tool. The optimal way to win is to a.) break through (beat a unit on one or two flanks) and b.) send in the fast maneuvering units to exploit it, get behind the enemy's frontline, cut them off and allow b.) mop up units to herd all the enemies into a single surrounded hex, they can be destroyed (as opposed to running away, which means you have to fight them again).

Post #: 5
RE: Haulers and why do we need them? - 12/17/2020 2:32:59 PM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: kicktothehead

quote:

Ah ok gotcha.

Yup. Tanks serve 2 critical roles. They are 1.) break through tool and 2.) mop up tool. The optimal way to win is to a.) break through (beat a unit on one or two flanks) and b.) send in the fast maneuvering units to exploit it, get behind the enemy's frontline, cut them off and allow b.) mop up units to herd all the enemies into a single surrounded hex, they can be destroyed (as opposed to running away, which means you have to fight them again).

It is worth pointing out that encirceled enemies are a lot harder to beat. If they can not run anywhere, they are less likely to break from losses.
However the lack of supply that should come with being surrounded should remove any combat potential in 1-3 turns (2-6 earth months) and even cause losses over time.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 12/17/2020 2:33:22 PM >

(in reply to Uemon)
Post #: 6
RE: Haulers and why do we need them? - 12/17/2020 2:43:10 PM   
springel

If they are encircled in their capital they often have decent supply. Cities have many assets. You will need some punching power, backed by artillery.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Haulers and why do we need them? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI