Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 scenarios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 scen... - 12/29/2020 2:41:20 PM   
mainsworthy

Steel Panthers WaW SCEN Launcher

allows 1800 Scenarios in SPWaW instead of 999. Runs on Windows, with Source Code included.It deletes the normal SCEN folder and Replaces it from the Menu List of Scenarios. The first time you run will take longer as its backing up your SCEN so no loss befalls you game.

< Message edited by mainsworthy -- 5/13/2021 7:33:02 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 ... - 12/29/2020 4:25:35 PM   
mainsworthy

I have included a source code file, you can compile it your self with the free blitz compiler at BlitzMax.org/downloads/

(in reply to mainsworthy)
Post #: 2
RE: Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 ... - 1/22/2021 3:44:10 AM   
Turtler

The fact that this ingenious system deletes the original SCEN is a major flaw. I lost a well curated SCEN folder that took me months to get together. Fortunately since I keep a lot of backups around it is proving faster and easier to reclaim than I feared (though still has some hiccups), but I'd suggest you find some way of "Cycling" between the different SCEN folders rather than deleting them.

GME might be good inspiration.

Still, thank you for the contribution. Once we get this ironed out, it will mean there is no need to choose between which scenarios to keep.

Post #: 3
RE: Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 ... - 1/22/2021 1:24:49 PM   
mainsworthy

I know its of little use now, but when you start the app there is a Warning on the first screen that asks you to backup your SCEN folder, Maybe I could of built in a falesafe though, so sorry you had problems. I have deleted the app so it dosnt happen again,.

(in reply to Turtler)
Post #: 4
RE: Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 ... - 1/22/2021 1:28:06 PM   
Turtler

Indeed, and I freely admit that was my fault (made all the more humiliating and unnecessary because I was considering making a copy just before). So I'm not angry at you; I certainly don't blame you for my own folly or say I was not warned.

But while the screwup was my own, I do think it is still a design flaw like you said and one that could do with being ironed out.

But thank you for taking this earnestly.

You have my thanks.

Post #: 5
RE: Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 ... - 1/22/2021 1:31:59 PM   
mainsworthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Turtler

Indeed, and I freely admit that was my fault (made all the more humiliating and unnecessary because I was considering making a copy just before). So I'm not angry at you; I certainly don't blame you for my own folly or say I was not warned.

But while the screwup was my own, I do think it is still a design flaw like you said and one that could do with being ironed out.

But thank you for taking this earnestly.

You have my thanks.

Have you tried sharing your work with the depot? https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/ , it sounds like it would be interesting foor you, but You may already be there.

(in reply to Turtler)
Post #: 6
RE: Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 ... - 1/22/2021 1:45:00 PM   
Turtler

I could say the same about you. In particular I know the Depot's members would be interested with it even in its current state, and once you have some way of shifting and saving the various SCEN files it'll give us a quantum leap in SPWAW gaming.

But to be honest there's not much I have in my work that is necessarily novel. Most of the scenarios and others I have are from the Depot. However, I do intend to share those that I know are not in it (such as the first Operation Exporter Scenario, which has its sequel in the Vanilla Scenario combo but not itself; likewise with a number of WWI Scenarios I am quite fond of like the Battle in the Clouds).

But thank you for the kind words.

Post #: 7
RE: Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 ... - 1/22/2021 2:01:27 PM   
mainsworthy

quote:

I could say the same about you. In particular I know the Depot's members would be interested with it even in its current state, and once you have some way of shifting and saving the various SCEN files it'll give us a quantum leap in SPWAW gaming.

But to be honest there's not much I have in my work that is necessarily novel. Most of the scenarios and others I have are from the Depot. However, I do intend to share those that I know are not in it (such as the first Operation Exporter Scenario, which has its sequel in the Vanilla Scenario combo but not itself; likewise with a number of WWI Scenarios I am quite fond of like the Battle in the Clouds).

But thank you for the kind words.

I'm working on an update now,I hope to have it up today

(in reply to Turtler)
Post #: 8
RE: Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 ... - 1/22/2021 2:28:53 PM   
mainsworthy

Ok I have made it so the first time you run the app it will check to see if it has ran before, if not it will backup SCEN to SCENBAK, I thank you for showing me this .

< Message edited by mainsworthy -- 1/23/2021 12:26:18 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 ... - 1/22/2021 4:02:14 PM   
Turtler

No, thank you for doing this. It's the sort of cutting the Gordian Knot that a game with a scenario library like SPWAW has always been asking for, and I'm glad you did it.

Regards!

You should definitely share this on the new SPWAW Depot. I'm sure it'll be a big hit!

Post #: 10
RE: Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 ... - 1/22/2021 4:27:47 PM   
mainsworthy

quote:

No, thank you for doing this. It's the sort of cutting the Gordian Knot that a game with a scenario library like SPWAW has always been asking for, and I'm glad you did it.

Regards!

You should definitely share this on the new SPWAW Depot. I'm sure it'll be a big hit!

I'm glad the app has improved due to you, and am glad everything worked out for you, and the likeness to alexander's problem solving is great thankyou

< Message edited by mainsworthy -- 1/23/2021 12:26:37 AM >

(in reply to Turtler)
Post #: 11
RE: Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 ... - 5/11/2021 4:57:48 PM   
mainsworthy

just put it online for you, the source code is included, so no problems.

< Message edited by mainsworthy -- 5/13/2021 7:33:21 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 ... - 5/11/2021 5:36:46 PM   
dox44

Thanks!

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Steel Panthers WaW Scenario Preloader allows 17000 scenarios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI