Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another newbie would like to try real opponent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Another newbie would like to try real opponent Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another newbie would like to try real opponent - 8/15/2003 8:17:41 PM   
StefanE

Hello everybody

Since it starts to be a little bit too easy to win in the Campaign I'm playing against the A.I. (I've had the opportunity to upgrade my force to unrealistic strength due to some previous victories) have I been thinking of taking one step further and try an PBEM-game against a real opponent.

My experience in SPWaW is made entirely in 7.1 and consists of a couple of scenarios, a couple of random engagements and a campaign on the western front (now I'm in -44), nearly all of the combats made as german against Russia.

Is there anybody out there who is willing to play a PBEM-game in SPWaW 7.1? I'm willing to play at any front as any (major) country (but don't expect any brilliant opposition).

Best Regards

/Stefan
Post #: 1
- 8/15/2003 11:34:29 PM   
rbrunsman

I'll play you.

(Haha, I got to you before our resident newbie initiator, VikingNo2, could get to you.)

What would you like to play?

I don't care for the Russians, but if that's what you're used to fighting against, I can play them.

Bob

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to StefanE)
Post #: 2
- 8/16/2003 12:25:57 AM   
Frank W.

stefan: you can play the other newbie part in the US vs. Ger PBM contest. look in the main SPWAWl forum. there´s a poll,too where you can chose a map for this game !

@rb: pls. chose your fav. map there !

(in reply to StefanE)
Post #: 3
Say it isn't so, Comrade?!! - 8/16/2003 12:27:39 AM   
Vathailos

Don't like the Russians?! Goodness me! Flame tanks that can carry 12? 203mm artillery? Sturmovik II's? Cheaper-than-dirt infantry? What's not to like RB? Accuracy and Morale are highly overrated. :)

In all seriousness, I think you should pair this fellow with another one of us "n00b" PvP'ers.

Viking is just too cruel :D. And you? That's like going from the frying pan to the... er... well... at least another frying pan! ;)

I'd recommend the following quality opponents for those new to PBEM games:

Dwayne
Red Devil

and of course, the irrepressible Aussie, Wombat63.

I can highly recommend them for their honor, tactics, and timliness. Good folks, to say the least. They'll be a good challenge for you, before the uber-Veterans like RB and Viking dismember you. :p

(in reply to StefanE)
Post #: 4
- 8/16/2003 3:02:46 AM   
VikingNo2

Man you guys are fast:eek:

Welcom StefanE, playing against humans is vastly different. Most of the time I am up for a game so if you want I am willing, this is a great forum and is a wealth of information. Any questions you have you only need to ask. RB is quite a challange for anyone,
( just don't mention Ski Troops LOL )

There is a 7.11 ver somewhere on the forum. I recomend it its not a major, change but many players have it. You will most likely get a OOB warning no matter what you do, atleast until the next version is released ( Which should be soon )

(in reply to StefanE)
Post #: 5
- 8/16/2003 8:15:21 PM   
AngryDeemon1

Viking is evil incarnate. I am still trying to beat him at least once, although my newbie days are arguably long gone.

(in reply to StefanE)
Post #: 6
play - 8/17/2003 1:26:26 AM   
Kerg

I will play you a game. I have 7.1. Slot 10.11.12 are open.

Set something up..makes no difference to me (tho I favor Germans).

Just let me no the parameters of the game when u send me the set up turn.

[email]kerg111@aol.com[/email]

Field Marshal Kerg, Combat Command Stats-> Games Played = 141, Points/game = 4179, <br />Average Placing = 3.4, W% = 28%, L% = 29%, D% = 44%, Total Points 589,232, Leagues Entered = 10, Top Three Finish % = 80

(in reply to StefanE)
Post #: 7
- 8/18/2003 1:32:42 PM   
StefanE

Hello everybody

Thanks for the quich answers! Since rbrunsman was the first one to answer I'll, the game goes to him. After he had humiliated me I'm open for new challenges.

Rbrunsman: I tried to create a new PBEM-game to send to you, but I didn't find out where to change available purchase points. I would appreciate if you could set up a game and send me, preferably Germany against US or Russia.

/Stefan

(in reply to StefanE)
Post #: 8
- 8/19/2003 12:09:03 AM   
rbrunsman

Alright. I'll set it up.

FYI, you set the point in the preferences screen, IIRC.

I'll set it up like this:
v7.1, large random map, 5000 points
You Germany, Me US
10% arty
Lets go with June 1941 unless you like some other time.
No prelaid mines (i.e. Engineer laid mines only)
No Airstrikes
Infiltrators if you want them

Any changes before I set it up?

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to StefanE)
Post #: 9
- 8/19/2003 12:28:35 AM   
VikingNo2

Yes you should have to have some manditory French Ski Troops:D

(in reply to StefanE)
Post #: 10
- 8/19/2003 2:20:00 AM   
StefanE

Hi

The terms are fine with me. I just would like a little clarification; when you, and others, state "max 10% artillery", do you the mean 10% purchase point from any unit in the artillery folder, or does it mean offboard artillery?

I'm glad if we don't use infiltrators because until now I haven't used any. What are they good for, and where do I find them?

/Stefan

(in reply to StefanE)
Post #: 11
- 8/19/2003 3:16:09 AM   
rbrunsman

Arty is anything that can fire INDIRECT whether on board or off board, e.g. your 81 & 120mm mortars and 75, 105, & 150mm tubes, etc. I don't count the small 50mm mortars attached to some platoons within the 10% limit, but I would count a separate platoon of 81mm mortars attached to a company.

Infiltrators are your Special Ops squads that you can plot to arrive at preselected locations anywhere on the map. You don't control when (or even if) they arrive, but they can be quite useful as an annoyance to the other player. I don't usually use them but you can try them if you want to, I won't so you don't have to worry about them from me. Usually, 2 or 3 out of a platoon of 4 will make it. They start arriving from Turn 3 to about turn 12 in a 20 turn game. You plot them just like arty in the setup phase. There's a button for doing it on the right side of the screen. I forget which one exactly, but if you hover over all the buttons you will eventually find it.

And, NO V2, I'm not using any Ski Troops!:mad:

(in reply to StefanE)
Post #: 12
- 8/19/2003 12:28:35 PM   
rbrunsman

Stafan:

Here you go. I took Russia so that we wouldn't be stuck in the desert in June of 1941. You buy your forces, then deploy them. Then you send the files to me and I deploy and make the first move.

Good luck.

My email is [email]robertbrunsman@cox.net[/email]

(in reply to StefanE)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Another newbie would like to try real opponent Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI