Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: END OF REVIEW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: END OF REVIEW Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: END OF REVIEW - 1/27/2021 3:14:29 PM   
redrum68

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeLewis
@Seminole, don't you want your Corps HQ close to your units to ensure supplies and maximum leadership benefits? Every bit of generalship you can squeeze out could be decisive at some point in the early turns, no?

Having the Corps HQ close to its units only matters for supply purposes (leader check take no penalties for corp HQ). So only if units will not be pocketed and the corps HQ ends up within 5 hexes of the unit at the start of your next turn will it be within supply range to receive no supply penalties.

Displacing them doesn't matter that much IMO as they don't lose that many men/equipment but you do want to avoid having them pocketed as then you lose all the men/equipment.

(in reply to JoeLewis)
Post #: 31
RE: END OF REVIEW - 1/27/2021 8:41:27 PM   
BrianG

quote:

@Seminole, don't you want your Corps HQ close to your units to ensure supplies and maximum leadership benefits? Every bit of generalship you can squeeze out could be decisive at some point in the early turns, no?

many of the early hq corp have very bad leaders and wont help in any situation, plus you want to save the SU attached to them, so you do not want them surrounded on turns 2 and 3.

(in reply to JoeLewis)
Post #: 32
Turn 3 Casualties - 1/31/2021 1:18:29 AM   
JoeLewis

The large pockets meant another heavy round of casualties. The drain on our manpower in the first ten turns of this game has been brutal due to the loss of so many units in encirclements as well as the German drive on Leningrad.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BrianG)
Post #: 33
Soviets Turn 3 North Start - 1/31/2021 1:20:25 AM   
JoeLewis

Northern Front looks manageable. The Pskov pocket can be opened and its units need to attack as much of the rail lines as possible. Defenses need to be established along the Luga River and around Lake Ilmen. Some AP has to go here for fort building.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JoeLewis)
Post #: 34
Soviets Turn 3 North End - 1/31/2021 1:24:26 AM   
JoeLewis

We choked the TOE to a lot of the units in the Pskov Pocket. This can be useful for units that you know will be sacrificed soon or might get caught in pockets to delay a German advance. Note that while we can hold up the Germans for awhile here, we are unable to build strong rear defenses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JoeLewis)
Post #: 35
Soviets Turn 3 Center - 2/5/2021 2:58:43 AM   
JoeLewis

We have a very aggressive Center Front commander who managed to cut off one German panzer division during this turn. I disagreed with the move, because without a +1 attack bonus and this early in the game you will have a hard time keeping a German division pocketed for a full turn AND you risk more of your units to encirclement. Still, I appreciated the aggressiveness of the commander. However, the defense of the Dnepr looked a lot more promising, but with a vulnerability north of the land bridge.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JoeLewis -- 2/5/2021 2:59:30 AM >

(in reply to JoeLewis)
Post #: 36
Vulnerability of the Land Bridge - 2/5/2021 3:00:42 AM   
JoeLewis

Our Northwest Front commander spotted and filled this vulnerability to protect the center. You have to keep your eye out for the seams between your commanders!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JoeLewis)
Post #: 37
Soviets Turn 3 South - 2/5/2021 3:04:28 AM   
JoeLewis

The Southern Fronts withdrew very nicely, but keep an eye on the Kiev defenses because they will be enveloped in a few turns and this northern approach did not look very vulnerable. Soviet Lesson Learned: Always look for the German railheads by hovering over likely rail routes and sseeing if they say "Axis Rail" instead of Damaged Rail 100. You want to get a feel for how much fuel those panzer divisions have.

I did not think we were very vulnerable at Kiev.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JoeLewis)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: END OF REVIEW Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI