Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Blackmail events question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Blackmail events question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blackmail events question - 1/26/2021 11:23:57 PM   
yutowap33

How does blackmail events are being generated? Is it random or require some party in power?

And why every seem to like the idea of paying ransom? why I get a whooping bonus to mind and meritocracy?!
Post #: 1
RE: Blackmail events question - 1/27/2021 12:12:11 AM   
zgrssd

As for the Profile Changes, I let odin answer why it is sometimes better to accept Blackmail:
https://youtu.be/_IfYZZDTays?t=151

The profile changes (and as they match to a Leaders Profile) as well as their current Happiness is used to calcualte the Happiness changes from decisions.

(in reply to yutowap33)
Post #: 2
RE: Blackmail events question - 1/29/2021 4:06:14 AM   
yutowap33

This even still make no sense. It's only benefit was in that it allowed me to buy regime profile score.

In my new game, I still low on cash, so it's auto -6 mind and relationship penalty.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Blackmail events question - 1/29/2021 5:15:53 AM   
KarisFraMauro

Have you tried selling stuff? I generally find that's a great way to deal with cash shortages, and once they're in hand the profile bonuses are absolutely worth it. Truth be told I didn't quite figure out until I'd been playing for a bit myself. I will say that blackmail seems quite rare, I've only encountered it once or at most twice.

(in reply to yutowap33)
Post #: 4
RE: Blackmail events question - 1/29/2021 7:35:36 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: yutowap33

This even still make no sense. It's only benefit was in that it allowed me to buy regime profile score.

In my new game, I still low on cash, so it's auto -6 mind and relationship penalty.

1. Nationalize the Recycling asset (starts nationalized on TL4)
2. Mine and Recycle a lot of Rare Metals
3. Sell rare metals for ~5 Credits per unit, if you are ever in a shortage
4. Always have cash when you need to, for a event

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 1/29/2021 7:36:57 AM >

(in reply to yutowap33)
Post #: 5
RE: Blackmail events question - 1/29/2021 8:47:10 AM   
KarisFraMauro

Yeah I don't think I've ever run short of rare metals. Everything else though, heh. I notice after a while they'll stop buying, which can be a pain, but by then hopefully there's efficiency gains to help out.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 6
RE: Blackmail events question - 1/29/2021 10:26:30 AM   
zgrssd

quote:

ORIGINAL: KarisFraMauro

Yeah I don't think I've ever run short of rare metals. Everything else though, heh. I notice after a while they'll stop buying, which can be a pain, but by then hopefully there's efficiency gains to help out.

The private economy is the main driver of Rare Metal demand. See "5.3.20.1. PrIvate eConomy Can stImulate market"

Another demand increases is the Osmosis of excess materials to other Empires trade houses.
And of course the transactions of the last 3 turns have a disproportional impact on the prices.

(in reply to KarisFraMauro)
Post #: 7
RE: Blackmail events question - 1/29/2021 10:36:47 AM   
KarisFraMauro

Interesting. I do mix up what I sell where I can, the price does plummet if it's the same thing turn after turn. Machines, high tech and radioactives also tend to have surplus.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 8
RE: Blackmail events question - 1/29/2021 11:47:14 AM   
BlueTemplar

quote:

ORIGINAL: zgrssd
The private economy is the main driver of Rare Metal demand. See "5.3.20.1. PrIvate eConomy Can stImulate market"

Uh, I don't know about "main driver", for instance in my empire (tech level 8) :
I produced an extra 456 dat Earth Metals / round (most of it will end up being sold to the (free folk? independent?) Traders).
My incorporated zone "population bought 1+3=4 special Rare Earth Metals and services with traders for 15+36=51 credits" on this (previous? in-between?) round.

P.S.: I didn't really see the Rare Metal Index price plummet, except after one very large sale... (and even then, only by ~half) who IS even BUYING all these rare earths ?!?

< Message edited by BlueTemplar -- 1/29/2021 11:50:13 AM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 9
RE: Blackmail events question - 1/29/2021 1:00:17 PM   
Soar_Slitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: yutowap33

How does blackmail events are being generated? Is it random or require some party in power?

And why every seem to like the idea of paying ransom? why I get a whooping bonus to mind and meritocracy?!

They require the major regime in question to have adopted the "blackmail" attitude towards you. The likelihood of that is probably affected by how bellicose the faction in power in the other regime is, your relations and your relative strength, although I've also received blackmail attempts from some real losers.

It is grouped in with other diplomatic events that raise the Mind profile and the highest profile from the other regime for choosing positive interactions, although just how "positive" paying tribute is is debatable.

(in reply to yutowap33)
Post #: 10
RE: Blackmail events question - 1/29/2021 1:11:25 PM   
yutowap33

quote:

ORIGINAL: KarisFraMauro
I will say that blackmail seems quite rare, I've only encountered it once or at most twice.

No idea what game setting you were playing with, but for me it has been a frequent occurrence. In my last game, this was my biggest source of regime profile score. In my current game, i just got it on round 20ish, as I am bordering 2 major regimes.

Also the question here is about the event, not how to make money. Mind denotes: "people that are cerebral and that like to think, have some morals and like to be creative." So how does not being able to afford to pay extortion money, leads to reduction of mind profile?! Why this even have to effect my profile at all?! just reduced relationship.

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 11
RE: Blackmail events question - 1/29/2021 1:25:49 PM   
yutowap33

quote:

ORIGINAL: Soar_Slitherine
They require the major regime in question to have adopted the "blackmail" attitude towards you. The likelihood of that is probably affected by how bellicose the faction in power in the other regime is, your relations and your relative strength, although I've also received blackmail attempts from some real losers.

I think it might depend on the regime faction, also I am not sure that there is an option to break the 'blackmail' loop. Last time, i was blackmailed through out the whole game, it might have started as relative strong regime, but it certainly ended as a weakling that I just kept for the profile boost.

This time it started with the other regime offering me peace and cooperation. Then iirc followed by change in leading faction event (with no option to affect the outcome). Then this! I prefer an option to declare war rather than loose 12 points of my main profile!

(in reply to yutowap33)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Blackmail events question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI