Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Races

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Races Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Races - 1/27/2021 5:48:07 PM   
Kingah

Stream said 7 playable races on launch. I'm completely fine with that as my tiny rodents loves are a part of those 7. I was a little bit surprised that the Haakonish are included on launch and not someone like the Shandar to get the pacifist play style.
Especially considering their prominence in the game. Given their geography in the campaign they've been active and helped me out in the great war way more times than the Haakonish ever had.

Maybe it's just my RNG always making the Shandar being a larger player while the Haakonish always stays in the background and I am just a victim of the Exposure effect.

Erik, can you clarify the idea for the rest of the races? Will they be released as development advances? will they be DLC or will they be unlock-able, Rome TW style :P

Also, I wouldn't be me if I didn't interject with a snag at these new water-feline Ackdarians.
I absolutely love the art and style but nothing will beat those cute seal eyes.

They stare into your soul

Absolutely cannot wait for the game to release. I wish all of the development team and the rest involved in production the best!

< Message edited by Kingah -- 1/27/2021 5:54:17 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Races - 1/27/2021 6:06:24 PM   
Cauldyth

Maybe that's what you're left with after you shave one of the new Ackdarians.

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 2
RE: Races - 1/27/2021 8:13:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kingah
Erik, can you clarify the idea for the rest of the races? Will they be released as development advances? will they be DLC or will they be unlock-able, Rome TW style :P

Each faction is now a pretty big amount of work compared to DW1, between the 3D models, animated characters, story and balancing. I expect we'll be making more factions fully playable with each expansion. The exact expansion schedule is still being discussed beyond the first one.

quote:

Absolutely cannot wait for the game to release. I wish all of the development team and the rest involved in production the best!

Thank you!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 3
RE: Races - 1/27/2021 9:44:31 PM   
OnePercent

Will Ackdarians be as jacked as they were in DWU?

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/aliens/images/a/a5/429ECFF345C14C8EB27313B22E2CBF6D.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/340?cb=20170208061954

< Message edited by OnePercent -- 1/27/2021 9:47:42 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Races - 1/28/2021 6:21:58 AM   
LordMM

I'm liking that the races will be a lot more unique in terms of playstyle, story, characters, and everything else. This should really really help in terms of gameplay value and adding a lot more atmosphere into the galaxy.

(in reply to OnePercent)
Post #: 5
RE: Races - 1/28/2021 9:08:34 AM   
Kingah

quote:

ORIGINAL: LordMM

I'm liking that the races will be a lot more unique in terms of playstyle, story, characters, and everything else. This should really really help in terms of gameplay value and adding a lot more atmosphere into the galaxy.

Yeah, I'm really hyped for all the races having more fluff to them. I really do hope they make an intro cinematic for each of them, and that the Ackdarian one isn't just a trailer. I'd really enjoy the teekan one.

"Like our forefathers who hunt Bakdurs across vast desert plains, we to must take to the great empty above. The great husks of their ships have been stripped of their metal and their technology used to let us leave planet once more. Hunt will continue across the stars."

Please say they each get their own cinematic :P

(in reply to LordMM)
Post #: 6
RE: Races - 1/28/2021 3:49:21 PM   
arvcran2

Vaulters from Endless Space 2 are an amazing example of quality Art, Story, and race ability to DLC.

I really like DW1 Mod capability and crowd sourcing content that way. But quality production along the lines of "less is more" can be beneficial as well.

The 3D aspect certainly puts more demand on modders! I expect there will be fewer. But, tools are better these days ;).

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 7
RE: Races - 1/28/2021 4:57:44 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: arvcran2

Vaulters from Endless Space 2 are an amazing example of quality Art, Story, and race ability to DLC.

I really like DW1 Mod capability and crowd sourcing content that way. But quality production along the lines of "less is more" can be beneficial as well.

The 3D aspect certainly puts more demand on modders! I expect there will be fewer. But, tools are better these days ;).

There is already so much high quality mod content out there that many mod teams can simply shift assets to a new engine and go from there. It's all down to how 'friendly' the process is. Very much agree with the 'less is more' line of development as long as its used to make the 'less' into 'more' and not just cut costs. Just like EA and many other dev houses like to do and then blind you with endless hype and fancy scripted trailers to the fact that their game is pretty but shallow and feature limited but hey also buy our DLC to make it less shallow and feature limited!!! The corporatization of the gaming industry has certainly been a low point in its history.

(in reply to arvcran2)
Post #: 8
RE: Races - 1/28/2021 5:00:24 PM   
arvcran2

DW franchise is anything but shallow! LOL I'm with you SirHorceHarkness. And yes, many mods are excellent quality!

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Distant Worlds 2 >> Races Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote