Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

100 (BS) Gp Mosquitos and Napalm

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> 100 (BS) Gp Mosquitos and Napalm Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
100 (BS) Gp Mosquitos and Napalm - 1/28/2021 9:07:45 AM   
Johntxic

Thought you all might like to know that these Mosquitos were able to carry out napalm attacks on German nightfighter airfields from April 1945. Apparently the Staish of RAF West Raynham and a friendly USAAF Colonel were able to come to an arrangement. Nice bit of co-operation there.

The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.
Post #: 1
RE: 100 (BS) Gp Mosquitos and Napalm - 1/30/2021 9:26:30 PM   
BigDuke66

Able, but more interesting did they do it?

(in reply to Johntxic)
Post #: 2
RE: 100 (BS) Gp Mosquitos and Napalm - 1/30/2021 10:01:55 PM   
JeffroK

At least Mossie usage, from Wikipedia
The first known tactical use by the USAAF was by the 368th Fighter Group, Ninth Air Force Northeast of Compiègne, France 27 May 1944[17] and the British De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VIs of No. 140 Wing RAF, Second Tactical Air Force on 14 July 1944, which also employed the AN-M76 incendiary in a reprisal attack on the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division "Götz von Berlichingen" in Bonneuil-Matours. Soldiers of this Waffen SS unit had captured and then killed a British SAS prisoner-of-war, Lt. Tomos Stephens, taking part in Operation Bulbasket, and seven local Resistance fighters. Although it was not known at the time of the air strike, 31 other POWs from the same SAS unit, and an American airman who had joined up with the SAS unit, had also been executed.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 3
RE: 100 (BS) Gp Mosquitos and Napalm - 1/31/2021 12:10:12 PM   
Johntxic

Indeed they did, BD; I've just read "Pursuit Through Darkened Skies" by Michael Allen DFC** who was on 141 Sqn. Napalm raids were carried out from 14th April onwards, attacking Neuruppin & Juterborg that night, with the last on 2nd May against Flensburg & Hohn. Attacks were made on 10 different airfields in that period. It seems the first test drops were made on the grass alongside the main runway at RAF West Raynham...

The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> 100 (BS) Gp Mosquitos and Napalm Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI