Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

best practice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> best practice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
best practice - 1/29/2021 2:30:11 AM   
bush

All things being equal, which is a more effective method for Naval Bombardment - 2 x separate TFs or combine them into one bigger one?
Post #: 1
RE: best practice - 1/29/2021 2:32:38 AM   
RangerJoe

It depends upon what you want to accomplish and what you have available.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 2
RE: best practice - 1/29/2021 3:05:31 AM   
Ian R

If you have a mix of BBs, and CAs, put them in separate TFs. The CA's will generally get in and out quicker than BBs (Iowa's excepted) and see off any surface opposition.

Edit - Also, send some DMS in first to locate/sweep any defensive mines. Losing a DMS is more acceptable than losing a BB.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 1/29/2021 3:08:25 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3
RE: best practice - 1/29/2021 6:49:32 AM   
Ambassador

In larger TF, I often see some of the ships did not fire as much as the others (which is consistent with a certain diminishing return on the TF size, past a certain point, for other types of combat), but it is more important to ensure you have a spotting plane in each bombardment TF. So, if you have only one ship with floatplanes, keep them together. Make sure the squadron is set to day/night operations according to your ETA.

By having several TF, you also limit the risk of seeing your bombardment TF lose all its operation points in combat against light surface TF, like PT boats. If you do suspect the presence of such TF, it pays to have a pair of cruisers or destroyers in a faster surface TF to sweep the defenders aside before the arrival of the big guns.

But as said above, homogeneity has a virtue all of its own. You also need to set a minimal distance (even 1), as if you leave it at 0, the TF might not close in as much as you’d want.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 4
RE: best practice - 1/29/2021 1:35:59 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

In larger TF, I often see some of the ships did not fire as much as the others (which is consistent with a certain diminishing return on the TF size, past a certain point, for other types of combat), but it is more important to ensure you have a spotting plane in each bombardment TF. So, if you have only one ship with floatplanes, keep them together. Make sure the squadron is set to day/night operations according to your ETA.

By having several TF, you also limit the risk of seeing your bombardment TF lose all its operation points in combat against light surface TF, like PT boats. If you do suspect the presence of such TF, it pays to have a pair of cruisers or destroyers in a faster surface TF to sweep the defenders aside before the arrival of the big guns.

But as said above, homogeneity has a virtue all of its own. You also need to set a minimal distance (even 1), as if you leave it at 0, the TF might not close in as much as you’d want.

I basically never set a minimum distance.

The TF not closing as much as you'd want presumably has more to do with a low detection level that causes them to not fire very much at all...

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 5
RE: best practice - 1/30/2021 12:16:22 AM   
bush

Ok, more specifically, it is late war (March '45) and I am bombarding Tinian as the Allied player. I have 4 x New Orleans class CA and 4 x Fletcher DD. My goal is to inflict as much damage as possible to the ground units there. So, 2 x TFs of equal strength or one bigger one?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 6
RE: best practice - 1/30/2021 12:18:42 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: bush

Ok, more specifically, it is late war (March '45) and I am bombarding Tinian as the Allied player. I have 4 x New Orleans class CA and 4 x Fletcher DD. My goal is to inflict as much damage as possible to the ground units there. So, 2 x TFs of equal strength or one bigger one?

Bigger means more damage. Smaller means more fatigue, disruption, supply usage, and so on.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to bush)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> best practice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI