Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I think I ruined the soviets....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/9/2021 11:25:16 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

Most of the LCU’s are in a good defensive terrain, and with forts. Even supersized Val and Kate squadrons won’t do much - plus, you need to train all those pilots and build the planes, so it won’t be done early, and then the fort levels will be even higher (with far less disabled squads too).

The best option IMHO for the initial air strike, is a multitude of airfield strikes. Destroy the Soviet Air Force on the ground, they don’t have the replacement rates to afford the losses.

However (there’s always a « however »), beware the flak - the Soviets have many guns.

I am thinking of the two bases on the rail line with only one NKVD regiment at each base. Then paradrop in to capture either or both bases.

Then there is the base with the IL-2 factory, I do believe that it is weakly held as well although it does have a base force there. I don't know if a Japanese player wants to risk a Fast Transport invasion force up the river on turn one of the Soviet invasion, even if it is composed of Heavy Cruisers. I would have to look at the CD units at the mouth of the river.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 31
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/10/2021 6:21:04 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Most of the LCU’s are in a good defensive terrain, and with forts. Even supersized Val and Kate squadrons won’t do much - plus, you need to train all those pilots and build the planes, so it won’t be done early, and then the fort levels will be even higher (with far less disabled squads too).

The best option IMHO for the initial air strike, is a multitude of airfield strikes. Destroy the Soviet Air Force on the ground, they don’t have the replacement rates to afford the losses.

However (there’s always a « however »), beware the flak - the Soviets have many guns.

I am thinking of the two bases on the rail line with only one NKVD regiment at each base. Then paradrop in to capture either or both bases.

Then there is the base with the IL-2 factory, I do believe that it is weakly held as well although it does have a base force there. I don't know if a Japanese player wants to risk a Fast Transport invasion force up the river on turn one of the Soviet invasion, even if it is composed of Heavy Cruisers. I would have to look at the CD units at the mouth of the river.

Skovorodino and Mogocha ? Your starting three para units are a bit light (and a bit far away). If you split the units on both bases, you can’t conquer the bases reliably. Each of these NKVD regiments start with good XP and morale, and as much strength as all your para units together, as well as level 3 forts in the woods. Paras only won’t cut the deal, you need ground troops.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 32
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/10/2021 9:42:43 AM   
ITAKLinus

In theory you can launch a massive assault in late December 1941 after a short preparation.

I would try to isolate Vladivostok area cutting the railway in multiple areas and make a heavy landing in Komsomolsk, even if Nikolaevsk has a pretty good CD unit.

However, I really do not see the point of the entire operation. Industrially speaking, we're far from being ok since there are few industries and very little oil in the Soviet area.
Moreover, terrains are generally awful and the advance would be slow.

I think the very best course of action is a delaying posture in Vladivostok area with a strong push toward Baikal Lake, where a defensive line is to be set.
Irkutsk to the border is just 13 hexes as the crow flies, but look at them: horrendous terrains with obliged passages and a relevant set of good Soviet units in between.
If we suppose we can arrive at Irkutsk quickly and set up a defensive line, then we take care of Vladivostk.

The entire operation would take at least half a year. No way you can blitzkrieg there.

Let's imagine we somehow manage to smash the soviets with local forces (aka the Manchurian Garrison plus various air groups taken aorund). Amazing.
Still. We start with 12.000AV in the Manchurian Garrison. Limit is 8.000AV. So we already have roughly 4.000AV to be "purchased" and sent in other places around the map. Not little and we probably run out of PPs earlier than troops from the Manchurian Garrison.

Knocking out the soviets allows us to go far below the treshold of 8.000, but can we in the end? I don't think we would be able to set up a proper defensive line in Irkutsk and Mongolia with less than 5-6.000AV. Put on top of them the required garrisons around and we end up saving maybe 2.000AV if we're lucky.
Quite a little reward if you consider the costs of the operation.
Also, don't forget that the russians might be smashed for a while, but it's quite unlikely to be able to keep them at bay for many years.

Last, but not least, if you have no HRs regarding troops' HQs, it's wiser to smash China instead of URSS.

Bottom line: I think an URSS invasion is both not feasible (under Scen01 + HQs' HRs) and far less than optimal strategically-wise.

It would be extremely interesting if we could opt for a delayed war with western powers. Like: I DON'T attack any western position and there is no war for a while. At that point, I suppose there are many arguments supporting an attack on the soviets.
Still, it would be something reasonable only if the western powers would be otrageously limited in the actions they could do in the meanwhile. Even being able to build forts alone would make the attack on the soviets strategically unwise.

VP-wise, yeah, there are many VPs to be farmed, but same goes with India then. Or Australia. Or PH. Individually, I tend to think it's way less risky to try to grab those than to smash the soviets. If I would have to make a bet, I would bet on the guy who tries to get VPs from over-extending against the western allies, rather than on the guy who hunts down the soviets. But I confess I've never played an early soviet activation, so I really do not know the in-and-outs of having URSS in the war in 1941/1942.

Francesco

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 33
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/10/2021 4:02:58 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: ITAKLinus

It would be extremely interesting if we could opt for a delayed war with western powers. Like: I DON'T attack any western position and there is no war for a while. At that point, I suppose there are many arguments supporting an attack on the soviets.
Still, it would be something reasonable only if the western powers would be otrageously limited in the actions they could do in the meanwhile. Even being able to build forts alone would make the attack on the soviets strategically unwise.

Well, wish upon a star, and you’ll be granted.

I did it, a few years ago. I had read a discussion on the forum about a what-if scenario where Japan would bypass the Philippines and only attack the British, Dutch and other allies, and the effect it would have on the defense of the Philippines. So, I got curious and edited a scenario to test an invasion of Siberia by Japan, with the other Allies being untouched, and played both sides.

I moved the troops Japan unleashed on the SRA to good starting positions against the Soviet (so, it wasn’t a usual Scen #1 start, but better positions for such a case are logical), and set the Soviet actives at game start (to let the ships be in port).

For the other Allies, I decided a build-up was possible, but shouldn’t be unlimited, and in short :
- reinforcing the DEI/Malaya/Philippines/NG only with troops and support units of the appropriate nationality (ie, no US anywhere else than US or Philippine territory)
- no direct shipping of supply to China (except to Hong Kong, but it was isolated from the Chinese), and no Western units besides the AVG
- no movement of HQ restricted units beyond their borders
- India proper had to have at least as much AV as Malaya & Burma together
- CMF divisions could not be sent to NG
- shipping had to be kept clear from Japanese islands (supplying the Philippines from the US but passing south of NG and through the DEI).

I basically set most Allied LCU’s to rest, let the engineers build the forts and bases, set the air units to training, and only moved a few units. I didn’t touche the Japanese industry, nor China/Thailand/CenPac, beyond ensuring enough supply reached the outposts.

Strategically, I roughly followed the ideas you put forward. Massed troops at Mishan crossed the border in the plains just north of Rybolov, and drove to Vladivostok, while other troops crossed the river near Birobidzhan, in the undefended plains hexes with a major road, to link up with the troops taking Komsomolsk. Nikolaevsk was taken by amphibious assault too, before sending a fleet to Komsomolsk, but I’m not sure Nikolaevsk’s coastal defenses would have been all that terrible (there aren’t that many big guns).

The IJN was mostly tasked with taking the ports on the coast, from Olga to Petropavlosk, and Sakhalin - the latter was problematic, as the SNLF and Naval Guards lack artillery, armor and combat engineers. Okha was particularly difficult, given the division and the brigade on defense there, with good forts, and so I ended up bringing an elite IJA division with some more support.

Other offensives started from Heiho towards Kuibyshevka (again, crossing into an undefended plains hex), and from Hailar towards the north (on the map, towards the west if looking at an actual map), towards Borzya/Chita/Irkutsk.

On the Soviet side, I maximized the defensive value of the terrain and the good forts, and tried to concentrate the dispersed forces. I managed to pull nearly 3000 AV to Voroshilov/Vladivostok (pay attention to the color of the hex sides with F6). Most of the Soviet ships were sunk or severely damaged in the opening hours.

At least 80% of the Soviet airplanes got destroyed during the campaign, with very few replacements available, but several hundreds IJA planes were shot down, either A2A or flak, with a big loss of pilots (but an overall increase in the quality of the IJA pilots, given the number of missions flown and enemies shot down). The air tempo was quite low, compared to what happens further south, given the Winter conditions.

The war in the north (west?) quickly came to a standstill between Ulan-Ude and Chita. The Soviets do have a lot of light tanks, but they’re as lightly armored as IJA tanks, so the 1E bombers made a lot of damage. Once more troops were brought (from the middle region and from China), the Japanese managed to push towards Irkutsk, but by then I was stopping the experiment.

Between Chita and Vladivostok, all bases were taken, somewhat more easily than expected, due to the multi-pronged offensive. However, a massive para drop on the base right next Kuibyshevka failed (and it was defended by a lone NKVD Rgt). On the coast, with the exception of Sakhalin, the conquest was easier than expected too (the big guns of the BB & cruisers helped) but I was happy the amphibious bonus was active (which helped mitigate the consequences of winter conditions).

Vladivostok (& Voroshilov) was a grind, given the high number of forts (9 !) and the amount of troops and artillery present.

By late April, when Vladivostok fell to the 20 divisions massed, I stopped the scenario, as I considered by then the units originally used for the SRA invasion could be withdrawn and moved to attack the Western Allies.

On the whole, while I considered the invasion an operational success, I deemed it a strategic failure. Sure, the losses were greatly lower than the Soviet losses, but the situation may be summed up as such :
- a lot of the elite units who usually advance like juggernauts against the weak starting British & Dutch had suffered from high fatigue and lost many devices, which would need to be replaced, and thy probably would not have been ready before at least one or two month - hence, no invasion of the SRA before the end of June
- the supply situation was degraded, with a net loss of 2 million supply (without any expansion of the Japanese industry), with over half the Oil and Fuel reserves depleted
- the end of the amphibious bonus meant any future invasion would be much more costly, and would require further preparation of the LCU’s
- a lot of the original Manchukuo garrison units got pretty much shot up during the siege of Vladivostok, so many could have been bought for much less VP’s - however, most would require at least six months to recover, and the Soviet replacement rates allowing one division to be reconstituted every month meant a good sized force had to be kept near Lake Baykal
- even with restraint, the DEI, Malaya and Philippines’s defensive situation greatly improved, with all units having recovered from the disabled devices, and improved both XP and morale (plus a preparation of 100 for their base). Good leaders had also been assigned.
- big supply stockpiles had been made in Singapore and Manila, over 500k each (and it could have been way higher), with fort levels at 6 nearly everywhere, and many good airfields for the Allied 4E bombers. Likewise, the amount of supply available on West Coast, in PH (over 5M supply & Fuel), in Oz or India (and the latter two, despite shipping no supply from the US). Fuel shipped from the DEI and from Abadan to Oz also meant operations could be sustained for the USN from there, right at start of the war, with India overflowing with Fuel.
- Dutch and Philippine armies were consolidated and concentrated, respectively on Sumatra/Java and Luzon, with several Indian and Australian divisions ready to be shipped from India or Oz to the DEI in case of invasion, and the equivalent of two US divisions on Luzon (plus artillery, AA, tanks, engineers)
- the Allied air units trained to a level of skill and XP equivalent to the IJA/IJN, except KB. While a lot of the IJAAF/IJNAF squadrons had upgraded to a newer model, same was done with the Allies, with P-40E and Hurricanes in most places, and several groups of B-17D/E
- the Chinese front did not progress much, without the vast amounts of tanks, artillery and engineers you can usually divert from Manchukuo ; actually, a lot of Chinese Expedition support & shock troops had to be used in Siberia
- lack of pressure on the Chinese also meant most of their pilots trained a lot, and supply flowed from Burma, allowing a lot of LCU’s to recover, take replacements, and increase the fort levels too
- the USN had 5 CV’s with full air groups and plenty of trained pilots, while the Wasp would certainly arrive before the expected attack, and were all upgrading to F4F-4, SBD-3 and (soon) TBF
- three UK CV’s, while not equivalent to a USN or IJN CV’s individually, is still a force to reckon
- XP levels of Allied ships greatly increased through the unending shakedown cruises, and all the early ‘42 upgrades were done ; as such, AA was greatly improved, and radars were widespread
- US subs may still have had faulty Mk14, but better commanders were assigned, and the wait time for the January ‘43 upgrade was half as long as usual
- a total of no less than seven US infantry divisions available (with the important upgrade to the USA Rifle 42 squads very close) plus the equivalent of 2 USMC divisions (and would soon be three full divisions), three AIF divisions (and all five militia divisions upgraded to AIF infantry squads too), I don’t remember how many filled & trained Indian divisions...

Etc, etc.

In the end, I considered that the invasion of the SRA would certainly fail, even though I avoided bringing too many reinforcements, and even if one was to manage to reinstate an amphibious bonus and the December 7 Surprise rule. So, the invasion of the USSR was not really hard, but took time and a concentration of assets detrimental to the overall conduct of the war. VP’s obtained were plenty, but not enough to warrant a victory, and I’m sure a conquest of the SRA brings more VP’s.

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 34
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/11/2021 1:56:49 AM   
RhinoDad

Thanks for the post very interesting.

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

Success is how you bounce on the bottom

Experience is a comb life gives us after we have lost our hair

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 35
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/11/2021 8:51:57 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: RhinoDad

Please note that :
- I don’t pretend it’s the best strategy, there might be a few better choices along the way
- I ran this test quite quickly, taking no more than 30 minutes to issue the orders for both sides, past the first few turns
- I didn’t bother much with rest of the world, beyond moving some units, setting all to rest or combat (for engineers), and setting the squadrons to training and the ships to sailing
- the IJA/N units were moved to make them ideally placed for a USSR invasion day 1
- I didn’t bother to pay PP’s to use IJA troops from China (nor, obviously, from Manchukuo)

(in reply to RhinoDad)
Post #: 36
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/13/2021 6:32:50 AM   
DesertWolf101

Interesting to read about a hypothetical that I find myself in the middle of in my PBEM campaign (Empire of the Sun AAR).

I have to say thus far my greatest concern is with regards to the Soviet Artillery - nasty stuff.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 37
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/13/2021 8:43:12 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: DesertWolf101

Interesting to read about a hypothetical that I find myself in the middle of in my PBEM campaign (Empire of the Sun AAR).

I have to say thus far my greatest concern is with regards to the Soviet Artillery - nasty stuff.

Yeah, the number and quality of the Soviet artillery is really nasty. It can be overcome, but the results are always ugly.

I’ve just started reading your AAR, btw.

(in reply to DesertWolf101)
Post #: 38
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/13/2021 11:43:01 AM   
DesertWolf101

quote:

quote:

Yeah, the number and quality of the Soviet artillery is really nasty. It can be overcome, but the results are always ugly.

I’ve just started reading your AAR, btw.

Cheers, drop a comment in when you get to the invasion part. Would like to hear more about any lessons you learned against the AI I can apply for my game.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 39
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/13/2021 12:19:36 PM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RhinoDad

Please note that :
- I don’t pretend it’s the best strategy, there might be a few better choices along the way
- I ran this test quite quickly, taking no more than 30 minutes to issue the orders for both sides, past the first few turns
- I didn’t bother much with rest of the world, beyond moving some units, setting all to rest or combat (for engineers), and setting the squadrons to training and the ships to sailing
- the IJA/N units were moved to make them ideally placed for a USSR invasion day 1
- I didn’t bother to pay PP’s to use IJA troops from China (nor, obviously, from Manchukuo)

I really thank you for your post, Ambassador. It took a while to "digest" it, but I think that your course of action is by far the one I would have more likely selected if obliged to do an attack on URSS.

Personally, I think it might be viable to invade URSS in spring '42.

My stream of thought has always been (again, only if obliged to invade URSS) roughly this:
- skipping Philippines invasion.
- massive rush on Singers and then Burma+Java
- historic perimeter in SoPac + PM established quickly with KB as support
- invasion of URSS in, hopefully, late March '42

The idea is this:

A) 07/12/1941 you land one billion troops in Mersing. Full Mersing Gambit. Singapore should fall within a week or so. Let's say that by 15/12/1941 you have Singapore taken.
B) No Philippines invasion in order to go big in Mersing and to allow a quicker attack on Java.
C) Java invasion with KB support roughly on 25/12/1941. It's unlikely you are going to get the full island, but you just really need few key bases to establish air supremacy and prevent any reinforcement to arrive.
D) Sumatra invaded from the southern tip. Just like with Java, you basically need to establish air supremacy in the area and to prevent any reinforcement to arrive.
E) Thai and maybe the Imperial Guards are somehow at the border with Burma in late Dec '41 in order to pin down commonwealth's troops/reinforcements.
F) Invasion from Singers of Burma. Here you can either go straight for Rangoon or for Akyab or whatever. Just, it's better to do a landing rather than a proper land advance because of speed. This is going to happen around 15th of Jan '42.
G) In Jan '42 you smash various bases in the DEI and you start grabbing the oil production centers, which cannot be bombed since you have probably razed most of the allied force in the area.
H) Also in Jan '42 you should be able to establish your perimeter in the Pacific with KB support.
I) In February '42 you select new targets for your divisions and you start shipping them back to the future area of operations. It will take roughly one month if you organise everything in a proper manner.
L) Late March '42 you start the attack on URSS and hope for the best.

Now, key element of the entire planning is to be able to get the DEI very quickly in December/January '42 and to be successful in your bold attack on Burma. Shouldn't be that hard to be fair.
By late December '41 you should be able to muster roughly 15 divisions, provided you "purchase" some from Onshu. Ideally, you can use 5 (plus Thai) as holding force in Burma and redirect 10 for URSS in addition to the Manchurian garrison and any China Expeditionary Corps' troops not needed at the frontline.

At least, that's what I would do if obliged to attack URSS in '42. I see the problem of leaving few months to the soviets to build up, but I think it does take roughly the same amount of time to districate China Expeditionary Corps' troops and to arrange everything for the attack.

Broadly speaking, I do believe that your moves are the ones I selected when I did this planning ages ago.

Francesco

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 40
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/13/2021 12:51:44 PM   
Andy Mac

As the Soviet Defender

Disband all search planes and repriotise pilots do not try and mix it up in the south unless japanese player is still using Claudes and Nates
Start immediate pilot training
Accept v a competent player you cannot hold the centre and try reinforce the north
at all costs Hold Ulan Bator !!

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 41
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/13/2021 2:48:46 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

The idea is this:

Ah, cut it out with the fantasies.

Going into USSR with still intact China is pointless. There is nothing worthwhile in the USSR except positional advantage for much later and VPs from troops/planes/ships, nothing of which will go away for years to come. China though is growing stronger by the day starting from the beginning of GC. You have to strike while it's weak, as well as "help" with supply consumption.

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 42
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/13/2021 3:58:33 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

The idea is this:

Going into USSR with still intact China is pointless. There is nothing worthwhile in the USSR except positional advantage for much later and VPs from troops/planes/ships, nothing of which will go away for years to come. China though is growing stronger by the day starting from the beginning of GC. You have to strike while it's weak, as well as "help" with supply consumption.

I agree, China and the SRA should be priority, for different reasons.

I would agree that a Soviet invasion in Spring ‘42 would be better, but I didn’t test it, as I didn’t want to manage both sides until then.
However, I see a flaw in your strategy : you’re forgetting the US and Australians. Shipping your attack forces to Manchuria (you speak about ten divisions, with 5 to hold Burma) leaves the DEI and NG mostly undefended. You need the bulk of the IJAAF to beat the Soviet Air Force (as they get three months of training in your strategy), with enough to cover Burma too. The IJNAF will be hard pressed to provide cover for the whole Pacific front, including the DEI. Even for Burma, once your opponent understands what you’re doing, the safe option is to do a major offensive, using US troops and planes, in Burma, to restore the link to China too, and steamroll back to Malaya, and Indochina.

I also think that conquering Singers against a human opponent in a week is optimistic, even with all the troops planned for the Philippines. Last time I checked, those troops did not have the special first turn movement, so they’ll steam for a week or two to arrive near Singapore. And if you need KB to cover the Java landings around Christmas ‘42 (and again, I think you’re optimistic on the timetable), how could you use KB to set your defensive perimeter in the Pacific in January ? It’ll take a lot of fuel (and accumulating system damage) and at least mid-January to have KB back around Rabaul. And, do you really want to have a major amphibious operation to Burma when KB is half-a-world away ?

Also, did you notice I said it took me 2 million more supplies than I produced during the same time, feeding that major invasion of Siberia ? You don’t field a 30 division-strong invasion with left-overs, and in your scenario you face enemy operations in Burma and China, plus everywhere else in the Pacific. In my tests, I had no battles happening anywhere else, except in China, where it was limited compared to the usual massive battles most PBEM’s see.

EDIT : the latter three paragraphs are more an answer to ITAKLinus, sorry

< Message edited by Ambassador -- 2/13/2021 3:59:30 PM >

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 43
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/13/2021 4:10:06 PM   
RangerJoe

If the Japanese player steamrolled the Western Allies, set up the defensive perimeter and managed to get lucky against the US carriers then there is a chance against the Soviets in 1942 but only if the plan to attack from the beginning. You would not even have to sink the enemy carriers nor severely damage them, rather destroy their air groups so they have a difficult time coming at you since the replacement rate for the carrier aircraft is anemic.

Plus, if you supersize the land based IJN air units, that will give a lot more air units to be initially used against the Soviets. Then those air units can go back to training.

In one game as Japanese, I managed to sink the Big E within a week of the Pearl Harbor attack after it ran over a sub which hit it with two torpedoes. The sub was not even on patrol, it was returning to pick up another midget sub. The Lexington I do believe sank in the first month as well after it was seen, if not sunk it was severely damaged. That game was a little while ago.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 44
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/13/2021 5:33:57 PM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

The idea is this:

I agree, China and the SRA should be priority, for different reasons.

I would agree that a Soviet invasion in Spring ‘42 would be better, but I didn’t test it, as I didn’t want to manage both sides until then.
However, I see a flaw in your strategy : you’re forgetting the US and Australians. Shipping your attack forces to Manchuria (you speak about ten divisions, with 5 to hold Burma) leaves the DEI and NG mostly undefended. You need the bulk of the IJAAF to beat the Soviet Air Force (as they get three months of training in your strategy), with enough to cover Burma too. The IJNAF will be hard pressed to provide cover for the whole Pacific front, including the DEI. Even for Burma, once your opponent understands what you’re doing, the safe option is to do a major offensive, using US troops and planes, in Burma, to restore the link to China too, and steamroll back to Malaya, and Indochina.

I also think that conquering Singers against a human opponent in a week is optimistic, even with all the troops planned for the Philippines. Last time I checked, those troops did not have the special first turn movement, so they’ll steam for a week or two to arrive near Singapore. And if you need KB to cover the Java landings around Christmas ‘42 (and again, I think you’re optimistic on the timetable), how could you use KB to set your defensive perimeter in the Pacific in January ? It’ll take a lot of fuel (and accumulating system damage) and at least mid-January to have KB back around Rabaul. And, do you really want to have a major amphibious operation to Burma when KB is half-a-world away ?

Also, did you notice I said it took me 2 million more supplies than I produced during the same time, feeding that major invasion of Siberia ? You don’t field a 30 division-strong invasion with left-overs, and in your scenario you face enemy operations in Burma and China, plus everywhere else in the Pacific. In my tests, I had no battles happening anywhere else, except in China, where it was limited compared to the usual massive battles most PBEM’s see.

EDIT : the latter three paragraphs are more an answer to ITAKLinus, sorry

You're right. Just checked and getting Singers before 20-25 DEC is quite unlikely. You can somehow "pick up" some of the non-magic-movement TFs and merge many more, but your're gonna leave something behind anyway.

My planning assumes a 7th DEC strike on Manila with the KB, an early employment of it in the DEI and then a move in SoPac. It doesn't take that much time in the end. Going for PH would be deleterious I think (you lose too much time).

Again, this purely hypotetical: personally, I would never attack or plan to the soviets. It's just a matter of speculation.

Landing in Akyab or Rangoon without the KB is feasible if you gather the various CVLs+CVEs+Kaga as 2ndKB and you use it to provide cover. The allied player should still be out of balance enough to give you a window opportunity to do so.

In line of principle, then, you won't hold Burma for long with only 5 divisions plus the Thais, but the main idea for the entire strategy would be: I gamble.

DEIs are somewhat easier to hold with token troops. The allied player can try to do some trick, logically, but hey that's it.
It's definitely possible to hold the SoPac without major troops for a while, instead.

Clearly, the entire assumption is that you are able to do a sort of blitzkrieg agains the soviets. If it takes long, you're quite screwed.

Individually, I think it's feasible if you face an Allied opponent who is performing a full SirRobin and you catch him out of balance. I think there is no way to afford the supply expenditure, though.

Francesco

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 45
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/13/2021 6:32:07 PM   
RangerJoe

After any initial invasions against the Soviets, there is a lot less demand for the Japanese Navy in that theatre. So the Japanese Nay can go back to defending the perimeter - including Burma.

― Julia Child

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 46
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/14/2021 1:29:56 PM   
Ambassador

quote:

Clearly, the entire assumption is that you are able to do a sort of blitzkrieg agains the soviets. If it takes long, you're quite screwed.

Individually, I think it's feasible if you face an Allied opponent who is performing a full SirRobin and you catch him out of balance. I think there is no way to afford the supply expenditure, though.

Which decent Allied player does a full Sir Robin anymore ? Any strategy based on that assumption, or that he would still be off-balance by the time of the invasion of Burma, is pure wishful thinking, and begging for a cataclysm to happen.

There is no blitzkrieg possible against the Soviet, not fast enough to allow the reshuffling of the unrestricted divisions back to defensive positions before the Allied player can launch an invasion of Rabaul or Java with half a dozen divisions (if not more - I count at least 2 or 3 AIF divisions, 2 Brits, 2 USMC and 6 or 7 US divisions available by the Summer, without considering any Indian or CMF div). The IJNAF can’t hold the fort without the IJAAF, and KB needs time to sail from one end to the other. Any port only lightly defended on Java, by token troops, doesn’t require any fancy amphibious assault ship, and once there, in Summer-Fall ‘42, no amount of IJA troops will dislodge them. Sure, the attacks by Betties will sink some ships, but the amount of AA available, including the old BBs, will quickly take its toll on the IJN pilots. It’s a gamble much less risky than invading the USSR, and it’s made even more possible with the fact Japan will be short of assets to initiate a counter-invasion (either at the same place or in another area), so all those units which normally are spread on defensive positions for the supply hubs are free to gather.

Remember too that the activation of the Soviets brings 40 submarines with working torpedoes. Their range may be limited, but it’s enough to evacuate to the US bases and then Oz, and to flood the DEI seas in the path followed by KB, in addition to all the Dutch and S-boats with working torpedoes, and all the modern submarines to drop mines or provide intelligence.

No, if the Japanese player steamrolls the Allied player in the way it is imagined, the risk/benefit ratio is much more advantageous if conducting an invasion of India and/or Australia. Any invasion of the Soviets against a human opponent is IMHO a major strategic blunder in 99% of the cases, and against the AI in 66% of the cases. The conquest of Siberia may be done, and will give a fleeting illusion of success, but the damage done on the whole campaign is beyond repair.

Hear me well, I still stand by my statement that invading the Soviets is not that hard, if Japan puts the means of its ambitions there, in the sense that there’s not much the Allied player can do to prevent the fall of most of Siberia (until around Lake Baykal), but it’ll be seriously detrimental to the overall conduct of the war.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 47
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/14/2021 1:33:53 PM   
Ambassador

Come to think of it, didn’t Lowpe have an AAR where he attacked the Soviets, and regretted it ?

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 48
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/14/2021 1:38:49 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

Come to think of it, didn’t Lowpe have an AAR where he attacked the Soviets, and regretted it ?

Irrelevant one, you mean? The "attack" was not planned - an occasional unload of amphib supply group happened on Soviet soil which greatly pissed off Stalin. Lowpe is a trooper so he rolled with it. Sure it did not go well for Japan after that

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 2/14/2021 1:39:31 PM >

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 49
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/14/2021 2:16:41 PM   
RangerJoe

He rerouted a fast transport or amphibious TF out of the way of Allied fleet movements and the load of rotten sushi was dropped in Siberia. Stalin was not amused.

― Julia Child

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 50
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/14/2021 2:34:18 PM   
Ambassador

Must be that one, yes.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 51
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/14/2021 3:04:39 PM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

quote:

Which decent Allied player does a full Sir Robin anymore ? Any strategy based on that assumption, or that he would still be off-balance by the time of the invasion of Burma, is pure wishful thinking, and begging for a cataclysm to happen.

There is no blitzkrieg possible against the Soviet, not fast enough to allow the reshuffling of the unrestricted divisions back to defensive positions before the Allied player can launch an invasion of Rabaul or Java with half a dozen divisions (if not more - I count at least 2 or 3 AIF divisions, 2 Brits, 2 USMC and 6 or 7 US divisions available by the Summer, without considering any Indian or CMF div). The IJNAF can’t hold the fort without the IJAAF, and KB needs time to sail from one end to the other. Any port only lightly defended on Java, by token troops, doesn’t require any fancy amphibious assault ship, and once there, in Summer-Fall ‘42, no amount of IJA troops will dislodge them. Sure, the attacks by Betties will sink some ships, but the amount of AA available, including the old BBs, will quickly take its toll on the IJN pilots. It’s a gamble much less risky than invading the USSR, and it’s made even more possible with the fact Japan will be short of assets to initiate a counter-invasion (either at the same place or in another area), so all those units which normally are spread on defensive positions for the supply hubs are free to gather.

Remember too that the activation of the Soviets brings 40 submarines with working torpedoes. Their range may be limited, but it’s enough to evacuate to the US bases and then Oz, and to flood the DEI seas in the path followed by KB, in addition to all the Dutch and S-boats with working torpedoes, and all the modern submarines to drop mines or provide intelligence.

No, if the Japanese player steamrolls the Allied player in the way it is imagined, the risk/benefit ratio is much more advantageous if conducting an invasion of India and/or Australia. Any invasion of the Soviets against a human opponent is IMHO a major strategic blunder in 99% of the cases, and against the AI in 66% of the cases. The conquest of Siberia may be done, and will give a fleeting illusion of success, but the damage done on the whole campaign is beyond repair.

Hear me well, I still stand by my statement that invading the Soviets is not that hard, if Japan puts the means of its ambitions there, in the sense that there’s not much the Allied player can do to prevent the fall of most of Siberia (until around Lake Baykal), but it’ll be seriously detrimental to the overall conduct of the war.

Sorry Ambassador, I think I have not expressed myself clearly: I stated multiple times that I take into consideration only the case in which you are obliged to attack the Soviets (for whatever reason).

I wholeheartedly agree with the fact that my plan is not really feasible and that would involve a major gamble. And, almost certainly, losing some major position around the map while occupied with the Soviets.

In general, I still think that using the unrestricted divisions to do key landings and then bringing them back against the western allies can be done, provided we are lucky enough (and at that point it's mostly a matter of luck). Basically, their emplyoment wouldn't be for a long time. Any remotely decent allied player would counterattack and grab some position, but what can we do?
The whole initial assumption from my side is that we go to war against the Soviets because we are obliged to do so, something like "ehy guys in this scenario the soviets will activate randomly in spring '42". Honestly, I cannot see any other situation under which someone can be willing to attack the soviets in a scen01. Well, ok, there is also the accidental activation as we know, but that's in the same logic.

Now, the big question to me is: is it possible to use the unrestricted divisions to do key landings and bring them back before we have lost vital assets which are by then impossible to recapture or neutralize in the mid-term? In the same manner: is it possible to give such a blow to the soviet airforce that then we can keep it under control with less forces and shuffle them back to where they belong?
I have no answer to either of these two questions, which are, from my perspective, the key ones.

Again: I take for granted that the allied player is at least quite technically inferior in skill to the Japanese and that we are obliged for whatever reason to organise an attack on URSS. Personally, I think that if we manage to districate most of the divisions which land initially, we could be able to do the trick. Huge gamble, but if we are obliged to do so I suppose it's better to have a full committment to the offensive and having those unrestricted divisions is handy due to the landings.

Francesco

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 52
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/14/2021 4:05:48 PM   
RangerJoe

It also depends upon the scenario with any extra toys.

― Julia Child

(in reply to ITAKLinus)
Post #: 53
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/14/2021 7:29:49 PM   
Ambassador

Okay, I better understand you then.

If the scenario obliged to do it, though, I’d insist on having a couple of adjustments on the Japanese side, mainly as follows :
- invasion on December 7, like I tested
- build-up of bases, notably airfields in range of the Soviet bases
- shuffling of the supply stockpiles and of air & ground units
- presence of the Soviet Navy in port before the attack (to allow a PH-like strike)
- and either a slower build-up of the Allied reinforcements, or stricter house rules

Also, to make the effort worth it, more ressources (Ressources and Oil) should be added in Siberia.

Now, to your questions, and taking as basis the strategy you outlined above (i.e. first the SRA/SoPac/CenPac defensive perimeter)..

When I played my test, I expected to wipe the Soviet Air Force easily, as they had mostly outdated planes. I failed to consider the sheer amount they have at game start (2000 planes, more than the whole IJAAF !). I suffered around 500 planes lost in the time to acquire air superiority (roughly one-third of the planes fielded), and lost some more while bombing the bases and units. The Soviet AA is strong, much stronger than the Chinese, so airfield strikes are costly. Also, the Soviets may field enough Mig-3 for an elite squadron, especially if you allow them 2-3 months to prepare and train. The Mig-3 is faster than a P-38E, good maneuverability and climb speed, a better durability than the IJ planes, and an SR of only 2 ; the one weakness is the gun value, but all their guns are centre-line, so accuracy is high - and their targets (the IJ planes) are notoriously fragile. With a multi-layered CAP, sweeps and strikes were costly, and it still took two or three months to achieve a state of air superiority, which still did not allow to bomb all I wanted to (again, deadly flak).

The good part is that the Soviet don’t have many replacements, whether in planes or pilots (but they probably won’t lose that many pilots if flying defensively). So, once superiority is achieved, it can be kept for the foreseeable future.

However, it will have cost a lot of planes and pilots to the IJAAF, and you probably won’t have had the possibility to start a large training program while the invasion is underway, so even if having expanded the factories give enough replacement planes, the edge against the Allies is lost, given the time they have had to train.

As for the other question, I invite you to check the Soviet fortresses, and the fort levels. The Soviet Army has a great number of excellent artillery (and AA artillery too) ; fort levels are higher than the Chinese, Philippine, Dutch or Malayan/Burmese bases ; XP and morale are higher too, right from December 7. And all factors will be even higher if given time to prepare. So, any attack, especially any amphibious attack, will cause a high number of disablements, if not destroyed devices. Naval bombardment can’t be abused either, as some of the fortresses have big guns (look in Vladivostok).

Overall, you can’t limit the use of the 10 unrestricted divisions to a couple of landings. They may take Okha, Petropavlosk and the coastal bases, but you’ll also need them to achieve control of the mainland, including the siege of Vladivostok (where you’ll also need heavy artillery, engineers and tanks).

Speaking of Vladivostok, fort levels at 9 to start with, and it’s possible to bring 3.000 AV and 300k supplies. I felt it tougher than Chungking, even if AV may go higher for the Chinese, but the most dangerous element was the artillery (and the tanks). That siege takes ages, and will savage twenty divisions. The positive point is that all participating divisions will be cheap to buy with PP’s. The negative point is that all participating divisions will need a month or two to recover before being able to deploy again, if not more.

Without the advantages the December 7 airfield strikes may give, and with the time needed to position the offensive assets, even if shuffling them to Manchuria or the HI as soon as March, I don’t see any possibility to progress enough in the invasion to be able to release the 10 original divisions for SRA/SoPac before at least September or October. In other words, after the possibility for the Allies to launch a vast operation.

It will off course depend on the Allied player on whether he’s able to organize an impromptu major operation in ‘42, but even with a better IJ player than the Allied player, it really would require a total noob to botch the reconquista and allow the return of the 10 divisions in time to defend.

Additionally, the Soviet replacements are enormous for their ground troops. In ‘42, they receive 400 squads per month, and in ‘43 they get their Soviet Rifles ‘43 (with an anti-soft value over 30, on par with the US/USMC) and 600 squads per month (in other words, in February ‘43 all squads will have upgraded). So, each rebuilt division takes less than a month’s worth of replacements (including artillery), which means literally all destroyed divisions in ‘42 will come back in mid- to end-‘43, and so you’ll have to keep a good size of troops to block their advance around Lake Baykal. I don’t remember the garrison requirements though, so there go even more troops.

This is why the only possibility I see for Japan not to get imperially screwed, is with a December 7 strike in the conditions outlined above, with a delayed attack on the SRA. But even with a very limited buildup of the Allies during the six months needed to invade the USSR, the IJ will still miss their surprise strikes, their magical first turn bonuses, and won’t have any amphibious bonus, while at the same time all major improvements by the Allies will be, in effect, six months closer, from device/aircraft/ship upgrades to reinforcing units, to hard-coded improvements (like torpedoes and AA).

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 54
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/14/2021 7:44:17 PM   
RangerJoe

I do think that the Soviet OOB is overstated. Maybe not in the units but in their size. Soviet infantry divisions were smaller than the German or Western Allied divisions.

Their training should also be lower. I am sure than many officers and NCOs were sent to new divisions or sent to rebuild other divisions.

If the Japanese start a training schedule with the intent of possibly going after the Soviets, they could do so in the late spring or early summer of 1942. No need to expand way beyond the normal defenses in the Pacific, but the Allies could be fooled in thinking that the Japanese are going after Alaska then a bombing campaign against North America.

Of course, going hard after China and taking Chungking and Chentu first might be necessary. Then pivot to the Soviets.

While the Allies would have a lot of units, only the Western Desert Australians and the US Marines would be highly trained.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 55
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/15/2021 1:16:18 AM   
DesertWolf101

Before I invaded the Soviet Union in my current PBEM I did some digging in previous AARs to see what I was up against. Not counting Lowpe's accidental trigger of the Soviets which naturally did not end well, there have been three previous attempts that I could find before mine.

1) The first went right in at the start of the war in December 1941 and that one ended very badly with the Allies marching into Thailand a few months later. If you are going to send your major free divisions against the Soviet Union that early, you will make progress as the Soviet's forts and preparations will be low but you are giving precious months for the rest of the Allies to get their act together and push back. I would strongly advise against this.
2) The second invasion happened in the middle of 1945 right before the Soviet Union entered the war. Obviously this is far too late to do anything of real strategic consequence for the Japanese, but there might be some merit in moving first during this time as that gives the Japanese the early initiative to start the battle on their terms.
3) The third went in during May 1942 and was the most successful. The perimeter was established before the invasion which removed the major flaw of the first one and the invasion even eventually took Vladivostok. The Japanese however were never able to make much headway towards the Lake Baikal area which was the critical weakness IMO, as that allowed the Soviets an excellent springboard for their eventual counterattacks.

My conclusion from these previous attempts and my own reflections and experience with the campaign thus far (even if it is still in the early stages), is that any Japanese attack on the Soviet Union should only be done if 1) the Empire's perimeters is established and relatively secure, and 2) China has been conquered or effectively conquered. The Soviets have a number of key weaknesses (many of which have been mentioned) but they have a lot of strengths as well and should not be underestimated. Even as my perimeter is secure and even with the fact that I conquered China in record time (Chungking was taken in March, 1942), thus allowing me to divert more resources, forces, and supply to the operation, the going is still fraught with danger. I will add that I invaded in September 1942 - I wouldn't advise anyone to invade later than that as you need a lot of time for the operation, especially the sieges involved.

To sum up, as one of the few who have actually attempted the endeavor against a serious human opponent, my view on this is the following: Yes it's possible and yes it may even be advisable to do it, but only if very specific conditions are met and you only have a very narrow window of time to do it before it's not worth it.

Edit: I should qualify this information with a key caveat. I am specifically speaking about a Scenario 1 stock game situation here which is what I am playing. If you are playing one of the mods or version where the Japanese get a lot more goodies, supply, fuel, etc. This advice is not relevant.

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 2/15/2021 1:19:40 AM >

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 56
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/15/2021 3:22:36 AM   
Kull

There is another factor to consider. As the human player against AI-Allies, you'll break the scripted AI by pursuing deep penetrations of Australia, India, South Pacific Islands or Hawaii/North America. AndyMac has done heroic things with the AI, but there's simply no way it will handle those situations (unless of course you are playing the Tier3 Ironman Insanity scenario, which is, of course, insane)

An early attack on the Soviet Union however? Totally OK, so long as you haven't expanded beyond the historical perimeter before launching your Soviet gambit. And why? Because the AI will still be unbroken and doing it's necessary things everywhere else, while the possible range of AI-Soviet responses are so geographically constrained they'd be valid at any time. And most of their defense is based on having having tons of stuff to throw at you anyway, which is a form of AI all it's own. So if you want to play as Japan and take some adventurous, non-historical actions - and STILL want a long game? Well, mano-a-mano with Stalin is your best option.

Post #: 57
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/15/2021 6:02:35 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

Before I invaded the Soviet Union in my current PBEM I did some digging in previous AARs to see what I was up against. Not counting Lowpe's accidental trigger of the Soviets which naturally did not end well, there have been three previous attempts that I could find before mine.

1) The first went right in at the start of the war in December 1941 and that one ended very badly with the Allies marching into Thailand a few months later. If you are going to send your major free divisions against the Soviet Union that early, you will make progress as the Soviet's forts and preparations will be low but you are giving precious months for the rest of the Allies to get their act together and push back. I would strongly advise against this.
2) The second invasion happened in the middle of 1945 right before the Soviet Union entered the war. Obviously this is far too late to do anything of real strategic consequence for the Japanese, but there might be some merit in moving first during this time as that gives the Japanese the early initiative to start the battle on their terms.
3) The third went in during May 1942 and was the most successful. The perimeter was established before the invasion which removed the major flaw of the first one and the invasion even eventually took Vladivostok. The Japanese however were never able to make much headway towards the Lake Baikal area which was the critical weakness IMO, as that allowed the Soviets an excellent springboard for their eventual counterattacks.

My conclusion from these previous attempts and my own reflections and experience with the campaign thus far (even if it is still in the early stages), is that any Japanese attack on the Soviet Union should only be done if 1) the Empire's perimeters is established and relatively secure, and 2) China has been conquered or effectively conquered. The Soviets have a number of key weaknesses (many of which have been mentioned) but they have a lot of strengths as well and should not be underestimated. Even as my perimeter is secure and even with the fact that I conquered China in record time (Chungking was taken in March, 1942), thus allowing me to divert more resources, forces, and supply to the operation, the going is still fraught with danger. I will add that I invaded in September 1942 - I wouldn't advise anyone to invade later than that as you need a lot of time for the operation, especially the sieges involved.

To sum up, as one of the few who have actually attempted the endeavor against a serious human opponent, my view on this is the following: Yes it's possible and yes it may even be advisable to do it, but only if very specific conditions are met and you only have a very narrow window of time to do it before it's not worth it.

Edit: I should qualify this information with a key caveat. I am specifically speaking about a Scenario 1 stock game situation here which is what I am playing. If you are playing one of the mods or version where the Japanese get a lot more goodies, supply, fuel, etc. This advice is not relevant.

I’m not finished reading your AAR yet, but a KB strike on Oz is gutsy.

I didn’t know the May ‘42 invasion, but it already looks late IMO to attack the Soviets, as most of the disabled devices will have repaired, forts progressed to level 6 in many places, supply accumulated, and pilots’ skill & XP maxed out at 70. In your case, the fact you took care of China (I wonder how you did so, I’m only starting reading January ‘42) so early may free a lot of troops to go north, but beware the Rifle ‘43 squad upgrades in end January / early February, and you will soon suffer the consequences of war in winter (mostly modeled like malaria, with added effects like reduction of strike missions).

I would add a third condition : having sunk most of the US CVs without losing more than one or two of yours (ideally, none). Not many Allied players are willing to risk their CVs before they have all six with the F4F-4/SBD-3/TBF air groups, and those who do mostly have the skill to avoid losing them, but sinking 3 or 4 of the Lexingtons & Yorktowns looks like the only way to delay an offensive on the DEI while you’re busy in Russia. Without the CVs, a deep, bold move to Java is not probable, most Allied players would favor a gradual progress under cover of LBA.

Post #: 58
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/15/2021 6:17:23 AM   
DesertWolf101

I think that is a good condition to add Ambassador that by and large I would agree with. It may not be as critical as securing the perimeter and neutralizing China as a precondition, but I would definitely rate it very close to the first two. I think broadly speaking, it adds to the point that against a human opponent Japan would be ill advised to attempt such a campaign without a number of factors falling into place first.

< Message edited by DesertWolf101 -- 2/15/2021 6:18:00 AM >

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 59
RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... - 2/15/2021 8:39:12 AM   
mattj78

i think its a good idea you know eventually they are coming why sit and wait do the normal defensive perimeter head north has any one done this successfully?

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: I think I ruined the soviets.... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI