Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Defending Oz : "Darwin Defence Plan P"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Defending Oz : "Darwin Defence Plan P" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Defending Oz : "Darwin Defence Plan P" - 8/21/2003 9:47:16 PM   
Feinder

SYDNEY, Australia (Reuters) -- Male moths may be convinced love is in the air when an Australian town saturates the sky with female pheromones, but scientists struggling to cut their numbers hope they will be too overwhelmed to find females to mate with.

Residents of the tiny farming town of Cobram in the state of Victoria are being asked by the Department of Primary Industries to put moth pheromone emitters in their backyards in a bid to reduce the damage inflicted by the Oriental fruit moths on the area's peach and nectarine harvests.

"If we release synthetic pheromones over a wide area, we can delight but frustrate the males," said horticulturalist David Williams on Saturday.

"If the male moths can't find the female moths, they can't breed and produce eggs," Williams told Australian Associated Press.

The clouds of synthetic pheromones used to mimic the scent trail male moths use to find females overwhelm sensors on their antennae, say scientists, who hope the use of the pheromones would help cut the use of pesticides on crops in the area.

===============

Yes, it has very little to do with UV. But it seemed more amusing than quibbling over whether Ki43s should be more effective against B-17s or if the IJN should invade San Cristobal.

Cheers,
-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Post #: 1
Re: Defending Oz : "Darwin Defence Plan P" - 8/22/2003 12:48:59 AM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Feinder
[B]we can delight but frustrate the males[/B][/QUOTE]

Seems to have a lot to do with UV to me...

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Defending Oz : "Darwin Defence Plan P" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI