Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Thanks and more questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Thanks and more questions Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Thanks and more questions - 4/25/2021 3:07:11 PM   
James80

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

[...] you can't manually assign an airgroup to more than one AD.

That's the point. I haven't found that rule in the manual. Thanks for your patience and your help!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 391
RE: Thanks and more questions - 4/25/2021 11:28:06 PM   
Rosencrantus

Any tips for increasing naval interdiction values? When I run naval interdiction on some ports I get really small interdiction values when missions are ran (+13, +1, +17). I made sure that the aircraft have LMA mines and everything. The manual says AS is useful but they dont really help with the interdiction that the port itself gives.

EDIT: I'm really confused. I tried launching the naval patrol mission again and this time i'm getting good values...

< Message edited by Rosencrantus -- 4/25/2021 11:32:20 PM >

(in reply to James80)
Post #: 392
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/26/2021 6:02:56 AM   
kirkmcgill

So I notice that aircraft have different weapon/device facings (which makes sense), but I can't find a list of what all the abbreviations mean.

Fwd, Side, Rear, Int, Ext, and Turret are obvious enough, but what are BT, TR, BR and SM?

(in reply to dudefan)
Post #: 393
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/26/2021 7:48:32 AM   
Kryger68

What is the difference between pool and depot? (trucks, etc......)

(in reply to kirkmcgill)
Post #: 394
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/26/2021 7:56:23 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kryger68

What is the difference between pool and depot? (trucks, etc......)

pool are not allocated, the routine likes to keep a reserve as the on-map situation is constantly changing and it will draw on this if you open a new depot and fill it back up with trucks released from closed depots or having been repaired

depot are the trucks actually assigned to your depots - you can see this in more detail in the Commander's Report

(in reply to Kryger68)
Post #: 395
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/26/2021 7:29:45 PM   
squatter

When an HQ ends its turn entrained, does it still provide all its support functions to its subordinate units?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 396
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/26/2021 7:52:24 PM   
loki100

yes, as far as I can work out this makes no difference

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 397
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/26/2021 9:07:41 PM   
kirkmcgill

Any help for my question above on the weapon facings? I'm messing about with the editor trying to get myself in trouble ;-)

quote:

So I notice that aircraft have different weapon/device facings (which makes sense), but I can't find a list of what all the abbreviations mean.

Fwd, Side, Rear, Int, Ext, and Turret are obvious enough, but what are BT, TR, BR and SM?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 398
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/26/2021 9:58:14 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: kirkmcgill

Any help for my question above on the weapon facings? I'm messing about with the editor trying to get myself in trouble ;-)

quote:

suggest post in the thread re the editor - more likely to be seen by someone who understands that part of the game system

(in reply to kirkmcgill)
Post #: 399
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/26/2021 10:46:09 PM   
Denniss

quote:

ORIGINAL: kirkmcgill
but what are BT, TR, BR and SM?

Bottom Turret, Top Rear, Bottom Rear and Schräge Musik

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 400
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/26/2021 11:01:24 PM   
kirkmcgill

What do you know, I got two of those right. Thank you very much for the clarification :-)

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 401
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 1:11:34 AM   
fwhite

Can someone explain this to me. I don't understand the negative replacements in the unit supply details.

"Replacements: The net number of men received as replacements and the freight tonnage that was converted to replacements.
This number can be negative if more men are returned to the pool than are received in replacements."

So, why would men return to the pool even if the TOE of the given unit is not 100%?

(in reply to kirkmcgill)
Post #: 402
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 1:38:28 AM   
MishaTX

Thanks for the answers so far, and here's another question re: the AI "Star Trek Transporter" movement rules when you set its morale at 110 or above:

I've gone through 30.7.2 with a magnifying glass, but I'm still unclear on the whole thing, specifically:

Can the AI combine this magic teleportation move with normal movement in its turn?

The reason I'm asking is that that, if I understand it correctly (probably not), then, if you encircle the enemy with a weakly defended hook due to the presence of enemy troops with enough movement points being anywhere near being very unlikely (otherwise you'd obviously want to defend it more), the AI will be able to gather its strongest mobile units from anywhere in the Motherland, teleport to the edge of your encirclement, and then move normally to break it wide open.

Is this correct? If so, I think I'll leave "morale" as the only buff I'll never ever give the AI

(in reply to fwhite)
Post #: 403
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 3:35:00 AM   
Stamos22

Ok this is probably a really dumb question but I haven't managed to find an answer anywhere. Is there a faster way to find a unit than using the h key search function? When I'm jumping through the OB by looking at who is assigned to what, I always find HQs etc that I want to see where they are located on the map, but then I have to bring up the search and look for them. Is there a hotkey that jumps the camera to the unit currently being inspected?

(in reply to MishaTX)
Post #: 404
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 6:17:53 AM   
Rosencrantus

Is it only engineer units that increase fort building levels, or do construction units also speed up fort building?

(in reply to Stamos22)
Post #: 405
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 7:15:59 AM   
pmm13

What is the definition of 'Heavy Artillery' in this game? As in (taken from manual): "Artillery (especially Heavy Artillery) can also cause small fort reductions during combat." Anything above 76mm? I can see German artillery SU's with 105mm field guns named as Heavy Gun Battalions but could not find exact statement from the manual.

(in reply to Rosencrantus)
Post #: 406
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 7:29:30 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: fwhite

Can someone explain this to me. I don't understand the negative replacements in the unit supply details.

"Replacements: The net number of men received as replacements and the freight tonnage that was converted to replacements.
This number can be negative if more men are returned to the pool than are received in replacements."

So, why would men return to the pool even if the TOE of the given unit is not 100%?

at the end of a turn, a 'damaged' element is assessed, if it is manpower based then some are treated as kia, some so seriously wounded as needing to be sent out of the unit and some returned to the unit. The mid-group are -ve replacements in terms of that rule in that they leave the unit (& may or may not be balanced by those returning or being allocated as fresh replacements)

similar for a vehicle, its written off, sent to the pool to repair or treated as repaired

(in reply to fwhite)
Post #: 407
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 7:37:41 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: MishaTX

Thanks for the answers so far, and here's another question re: the AI "Star Trek Transporter" movement rules when you set its morale at 110 or above:

I've gone through 30.7.2 with a magnifying glass, but I'm still unclear on the whole thing, specifically:

Can the AI combine this magic teleportation move with normal movement in its turn?

The reason I'm asking is that that, if I understand it correctly (probably not), then, if you encircle the enemy with a weakly defended hook due to the presence of enemy troops with enough movement points being anywhere near being very unlikely (otherwise you'd obviously want to defend it more), the AI will be able to gather its strongest mobile units from anywhere in the Motherland, teleport to the edge of your encirclement, and then move normally to break it wide open.

Is this correct? If so, I think I'll leave "morale" as the only buff I'll never ever give the AI

It has to use normal movement rules in hexes it didn't control at the start of the turn (pending) or to enter your hexes, there is also the important example in 30.7.2 of how it cannot pass a ZoC.

beyond that yes, it does the equivalent of picking up all the counters and placing them down again.

It won't tend to counter-attack before t4 but after that weakly held pockets are fair game (as they should be?)

Once you know the game, 110 is essential unless your idea of fun is to outmanouver the AI a couple of times and then simply move your way to a victory. In the same 120 for the Axis AI makes all the difference in terms of the challenge of the game (or for the Soviets in the later war scenarios)

The issue is, the AI can't do the sort of long term planning that becomes second nature to players. So while all this may sound a huge benefit its actually just offsetting that it plans in solid blocks - you'll see it has trigger points that make it do something radical but clearly those are fairly fixed not the product of constant re-evaluation.

2 I know of is the Axis AI will pull back from Stalingrad if it feels its flanks are threatened in Oct/Nov 42 and will abandon the Baltic States when the Soviets make a certain degree of progress along the Dauga/Dvina. The Axis AI will also make a choice between Stalingrad or Moscow in May 42.

(in reply to MishaTX)
Post #: 408
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 7:38:15 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosencrantus

Is it only engineer units that increase fort building levels, or do construction units also speed up fort building?

both

(in reply to Rosencrantus)
Post #: 409
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 7:44:29 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: pmm13

What is the definition of 'Heavy Artillery' in this game? As in (taken from manual): "Artillery (especially Heavy Artillery) can also cause small fort reductions during combat." Anything above 76mm? I can see German artillery SU's with 105mm field guns named as Heavy Gun Battalions but could not find exact statement from the manual.

You need to combine the list of definitions in 34.4 with the listing under equipment in the CR. As far as I can see the 105mm is coded purely as artillery.

Note you don't get the reduction only off heavy artillery, just those few weapon types are much more effective

(in reply to pmm13)
Post #: 410
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 7:46:25 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stamos22

Ok this is probably a really dumb question but I haven't managed to find an answer anywhere. Is there a faster way to find a unit than using the h key search function? When I'm jumping through the OB by looking at who is assigned to what, I always find HQs etc that I want to see where they are located on the map, but then I have to bring up the search and look for them. Is there a hotkey that jumps the camera to the unit currently being inspected?

its a bit of 'I wouldn't start from there' - in the main use the Commander's Report to search for units and if you click on the unit the map will open where it is and with the detailed unit tab open

(in reply to Stamos22)
Post #: 411
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 8:06:47 AM   
pmm13

quote:

quote:

You need to combine the list of definitions in 34.4 with the listing under equipment in the CR. As far as I can see the 105mm is coded purely as artillery.

OK, will take a look.

quote:

Note you don't get the reduction only off heavy artillery, just those few weapon types are much more effective

Right, is it the vMAN factor what matters most in fort reductions for example?

Thanks for the quick answers!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 412
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 8:10:01 AM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

Right, is it the vMAN factor what matters most in fort reductions for example?

Thanks for the quick answers!

given that both combat engineers and heavy artillery are relatively rare, then yes you most often will see this sort of reduction triggered by the infantry commitment.

the foot of 20.4.3 lists the various formula in use

(in reply to pmm13)
Post #: 413
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 8:23:22 AM   
MishaTX

Thanks, Loki!

Yes, I get the intent behind the rule and it's a good one. After all, at some point you get to where you can trounce the AI with half your brain tied behind your back and then some added challenge is a good thing.

I suppose one way to work around it would be to make sure to split your units so they can't just waltz through the lines after it's done teleporting, which you'd do anyway if you suspected that there were enemy units lurking in the neighborhood, now you just have to do it at all times. Food for thought once I get to the point where I can comfortably beat the AI at all

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 414
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 9:33:38 AM   
Rosencrantus

Thanks

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 415
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 12:55:25 PM   
Nix77

quote:

quote:

its a bit of 'I wouldn't start from there' - in the main use the Commander's Report to search for units and if you click on the unit the map will open where it is and with the detailed unit tab open

I think Stamos is looking for a "jump to unit" hot key? This would be an absolute lifesaver when jumping between units in the unit window, or "PgDn/PgUp" and "Home/End" keys. The unit window should definitely have a hex location link like in the reinforcement window below, and preferably a hot key for that too.

Also since there's plenty of room, the unit windows should really list the average experience of the unit somewhere in the left side of the window.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Nix77 -- 4/27/2021 12:57:11 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 416
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 4:40:11 PM   
Stamos22

I want to quote the above post but it won't let me. Anyways, this is in response to it.

Yes! I appreciate the initial reply as I had considered using the commander's report and I will do that in certain situations. But Nix is correct, I was expecting a hotkey to jump to that unit or a clickable hex location as suggested above. That would make life a lot easier and I also think it would help me (as a brand new player to this level of the genre) wrap my head around where my units are and how they are connected.

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 417
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 7:31:32 PM   
loki100

quote:

I want to quote the above post but it won't let me. Anyways, this is in response to it.

Yes! I appreciate the initial reply as I had considered using the commander's report and I will do that in certain situations. But Nix is correct, I was expecting a hotkey to jump to that unit or a clickable hex location as suggested above. That would make life a lot easier and I also think it would help me (as a brand new player to this level of the genre) wrap my head around where my units are and how they are connected.

two parts to an answer. First this thread is best kept to questions about the current game set up not requests for new features. Those whp can add them are unlikely to see something buried in a thread that has a lot of posts and quick responses. I realise your first post sat on the boundary in this regard but if this is something you'd really like suggest a post in that sub-forum.

Second, I think (fwiw), what you need is in the CR. If you select a HQ you can open the CR to show just the formations that report to that command, click on any of those and you are taken to the map where it is. A lot of effort went into the UI and into offering multiple ways to access screens or carry out actions (not least as everyone has their own methods of doing so), but for what you're looking for, I'd strongly suggest explore the CR and its options.

(in reply to Stamos22)
Post #: 418
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 9:53:23 PM   
loudscott

Can someone tell me what (or even why) there are two numbers for the Radius of the aircraft. Ju88D-2 has a radius of 658 miles which should be 65 hexes. I'm not sure what the 49/65 means. I looked in the manual (albeit briefly) and didn't see anything.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dudefan)
Post #: 419
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/27/2021 10:12:33 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: loudscott

Can someone tell me what (or even why) there are two numbers for the Radius of the aircraft. Ju88D-2 has a radius of 658 miles which should be 65 hexes. I'm not sure what the 49/65 means. I looked in the manual (albeit briefly) and didn't see anything.

With drop tanks?

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to loudscott)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Thanks and more questions Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI