Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to understand:

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to understand: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/29/2021 1:03:16 PM   
loki100

map to reserve is either off the air unit tab or the Commander's Report

reserve to map is via the airbase/AOG functions (bring units from the reserve)

(remember the AI Assist will do both of these for you)

theatre - theatre is via the detailed theatre box screens

relevant rule sections are 13.2.2, 16.6.10, 17.3.1/2.

Relevant screens - 37.16.1, 37.16.2, 37.16.5, 36.12.3 (for theatre-theatre transfers)

the relevant commander's report functionality is in 35.4 (I would recommend learning this for map-reserve as its usually by far the easiest approach)

< Message edited by loki100 -- 3/29/2021 1:09:10 PM >

(in reply to Jajusha)
Post #: 31
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/29/2021 3:23:45 PM   
Jajusha

Map to Reserve, check
Reserve to Map, check
Theatre to Theatre, check

But how to get an air unit from either the map or the reserve to a Theatre?

< Message edited by Jajusha -- 3/29/2021 3:25:10 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 32
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/29/2021 4:15:07 PM   
M60A3TTS

Go to Reserve theater box, then air tab. Right click the unit that you want to transfer. If the unit header is red, it cannot be transferred.

(in reply to Jajusha)
Post #: 33
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 12:16:46 AM   
FriedrichII

Does air recon mission give later in the ground battle a bonus? (Is it easier to attack enemy units which has been observed by air recon in the air phase?)

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 34
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 12:37:58 AM   
Joel Billings

Detection level is a factor in determining combat results, so it may give you a benefit. Since air recon in terrain is limited in how much in can detect (how high it pushes detection levels), it may be that you'll get as much detection value from a strong unit moving adjacent to the unit before the attack. but it might not.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to FriedrichII)
Post #: 35
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 11:53:19 AM   
FriedrichII

Thank you very much for the answer. I just yesterday bought the game and I am planning now my air phase orders for the campaign.

Does this also apply to aircrafts on the ground?

The AI plan has chosen Air Recon with priority airfields and I am wondering if this improves the airfield bombing of day one, or if it will document only the damages after that?
If it is important for the day one airfield attacks then I am not going to change it, but I currently do not know it.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 36
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 12:49:20 PM   
loki100

in this specific instance, that recon won't help much with the opening strikes (you already pretty much know what is there) but might give you useful information (on D2) of what you achieved

Post #: 37
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 2:15:03 PM   
VesaAwesaka

Is there any disincentive to using a corps/army command capacity in its entirety or assigning everything to an assault HQ? Doesn't it make sense to assign every unit you can to a panzer group that starts as set to assault, assign someone like Model either as the Army commander or the corp commander and then pull units away from worse armies and corps to fill out the panzer group? From my understanding the only disadvantage would be a turn of losing 1 to admin roles but after that it seems like there are huge benefits to having everyone in assault armies under your top commanders, especially in smaller scenarios that last less than 20 turns.

< Message edited by VesaAwesaka -- 3/30/2021 2:16:55 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 38
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 3:52:57 PM   
briklebritt

I am new to this series and got a lot of questions. Please let me ask how roads, trucks, HQs and depots work together.

- Is there a range for the depot where it delivers supply, reinforcements, AFVs, etc. to HQs?
- Bringing supply, reinforcements, AFVs, etc. from depot to HQs - did only the depot trucks drive these things to the HQs or did the trucks attached to HQs also drive to depot and getting supply, reinforcements, AFVs, etc. from it to HQs?
- Delivering AFVs, supply, etc. from depot to HQs without roads.. what kind of negative effects does this have? Or roads or not used for doing this and only helping for movement in bad weather conditions?
- Read about a 3 hex range about depots where supply will transported without trucks, is this correct? How does that behave?
- What tells me the value in parenthesis at the pop up when hovering over a depot for the depots capacity?
- The values for "stored" in the parenthesis is the stock at the beginning of the supply turn, right?

Hope someone will answer my questions :-)

(in reply to VesaAwesaka)
Post #: 39
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 5:50:48 PM   
FriedrichII

Thanks Loki for answering the Air Recon question.

I am not eager to win the award for the dumbest question, but what does Lock HQ Support mean? The tooltip says that it prevent automatic movement of HQ support units, but I have no idea what is meant with this?

(in reply to briklebritt)
Post #: 40
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 6:09:57 PM   
carlkay58

Vesa - there are two things to take into account with your command setup. The first is the obvious capacity - keeping every command in capacity helps your leadership be their most effective. The second is range. Corps HQ have a range of 5, Army HQs have a range of 10, all higher HQs have a range of 90. If you are outside of that range then the leadership checks begin to take penalties. As long as your unit is very compact it does not matter as much but if you have to spread it out you need the additional command HQs.

Brikilebritt:

First statement is that supply is traced to the individual units NOT through the HQs. HQs, however, will set the Supply Priority for their command.

1. no it will send these things out using trucks. The further you go the more wear and tear on the trucks.

2. The depot's trucks can be supplemented by trucks in the units but this will lower the unit's MP allowance for the upcoming turn.

3. Roads make it easier and less costly to deliver supplies to the units. Much as they lower the MP costs for motorized units.

4. If a unit is within three hexes of a depot it will not utilize trucks to gather their supplies - however the freight costs are doubled to represent the fodder and materials needed to use the wagons for the delivery.

5. I believe the parenthesis was the starting value.

6. Correct.

Post #: 41
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 7:33:30 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: FriedrichII

Thanks Loki for answering the Air Recon question.

I am not eager to win the award for the dumbest question, but what does Lock HQ Support mean? The tooltip says that it prevent automatic movement of HQ support units, but I have no idea what is meant with this?

hi basically it means that Support Units won't be moved automatically up or down through that HQ. So if you lock all you disable the auto assign routines for SUs, if you lock just one command then it'll work elsewhere but into/out of that HQ.

Post #: 42
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 8:00:44 PM   
FriedrichII

Hello Loki,

thanks for the answer. I unfortunately still do not understand it.

I am very sorry sir, but could you please formulate again, or make an example please.

Maybe my English is too poor and also I am complete new to War in the X series. I just yesterday bought the game.

I want to start a scenario and I am unsure if I should set the game setting "Lock HQ Support" on or off.

< Message edited by FriedrichII -- 3/30/2021 8:01:30 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 43
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 8:09:09 PM   
loki100

if you set it 'on' then the only to move Support Units around is manually, if you set it 'off' then SUs will be moved according to the relevant HQ priorities (as in 21.5.6).

Now neither are permanent commitments, you can change as you wish. More confusingly, you can - at any stage - set up some commands to use the auto routines and others to use only manual allocations.

so it is a wee bit confusing to describe, or to use the good Scots word, a guddle

It all depends a bit on whether you want to assign SUs manually or not

Post #: 44
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 8:29:04 PM   
FriedrichII

Thanks Loki, I now understand it better. Maybe I have to get some in game practice to understand it fully.
I also have now read 21.5.6 in the manual. Thanks.

A good thing to know is that I can change it later and lock or unlock it.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 45
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 11:13:36 PM   
johng5155

Support Units

In a video walk-through it is suggested that support units be concentrated at the highest level HQs rather than at division, corps, or army level. Is this a good idea? Section 23.6.1 states that support units can only be committed if the relevant HQ is five or less hexes from the combat. Is there some other method by which higher, more distant HQ's can teleport support units to the combat, either directly or through the chain of command?

Post #: 46
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 11:17:36 PM   
M60A3TTS

Not sure what video you watched, but they may have suggested sending all support units to OKH but only as a first step. From there you would have the full range of choices to reassign them down to the lowest level HQs. That is where they should ultimately end up.

(in reply to johng5155)
Post #: 47
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 11:44:01 PM   
juv95hrn

Assigning refit status to an on-map ground unit, does not affect its construction value, unlike in WITE1?

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 48
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 11:45:12 PM   
johng5155

It is "War in the East 2 - Let's Play! | Part 1" by Strategy Gaming Dojo. It was recommended in another thread "video tutorials" by Templar_12. About 7:15 into the video he starts to discuss support unit levels. He suggests you pull all the support units to OKH and then push them down before you fight a battle, but it seems in general he is constantly pulling all support units up the chain of command. He goes on to say that support units at the army level can be pushed down to a battle, although they don't show up at the corps level. The implication seems to be that support units for a given battle can be sent from OKH, army group, etc., directly to the combat. This makes sense if the HQ in question is within 5 hexes of the battle, but if it is 15 or 20 hexes to rear it seems preposterous.

< Message edited by johng5155 -- 3/30/2021 11:46:42 PM >

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 49
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 11:46:05 PM   
Bamilus

So the strength and supply alerts on the turn summary are super helpful. However, the turn summary takes up the right pane and I therefore can't see the unit details when I click on them. Click off the turn summary removes the alerts. I know I can use fuel/supply soft factor to figure out who is low supply but is there an equivalent for low strength? Otherwise I guess I will have to use the commanders report but I really like the visuals....

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to juv95hrn)
Post #: 50
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 11:49:16 PM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: johng5155

It is "War in the East 2 - Let's Play! | Part 1" by Strategy Gaming Dojo. It was recommended in another thread "video tutorials" by Templar_12. About 7:15 into the video he starts to discuss support unit levels. He suggests you pull all the support units to OKH and then push them down before you fight a battle, but it seems in general he is constantly pulling all support units up the chain of command. He goes on to say that support units at the army level can be pushed down to a battle, although they don't show up at the corps level. The implication seems to be that support units for a given battle can be sent from OKH, army group, etc., directly to the combat. This makes sense if the HQ in question is within 5 hexes of the battle, but if it is 15 or 20 hexes to rear it seems preposterous.

The reason you "pull" the units to OKH is it makes it easier to mass assign them next turn since it's literally pulling every SU to OKH (no penalty or rail usage to assign them from OKH to anywhere on map). It has nothing to do with OKH sending support units into battle (it won't).

The comment about army level is wrong. Units can be sent into support from corps level at 5 hexes away, as well, and is the typical spot where you would keep combat support units (in fact artillery can't be pushed down to division level).

I think you misinterpreted what he was saying, I watched the video and it's the same method in WITE.

To summarize:

1. Turn 1, set all HQ's except OKH to 0 support level. Change OKH to 9.
2. Turn 2, everything has been pulled up. Now individually attach the units to corps and armies (and some to divisions if you want, but I typically hold those back until I definitely need them).
3. Make sure to lock the support level before end of turn or you'll do what I did and hit next turn and then all your time spent attaching support units was wasted since they all get pulled back to OKH again.

< Message edited by Bamilus -- 3/30/2021 11:51:09 PM >

(in reply to johng5155)
Post #: 51
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/30/2021 11:52:35 PM   
ErickRepie

1. Any requirement to garrison city like in WITE ?? (shift K)
2. Moving air unit (in air planning phase) - Is the moved ones can participated in that current air planning phase ?

(in reply to Jajusha)
Post #: 52
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/31/2021 12:01:39 AM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: ErickRepie

1. Any requirement to garrison city like in WITE ?? (shift K)
2. Moving air unit (in air planning phase) - Is the moved ones can participated in that current air planning phase ?

1. There is a Garrison Theater Box for that. Requirements are event-driven and these can be found in the appropriate manual appendix.

2. Yes, if they have sufficient air miles available, along with fuel and possibly ammo at the base.

(in reply to ErickRepie)
Post #: 53
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/31/2021 12:26:24 AM   
Bamilus

How can I see all construction SU's attached to cities? In commanders report I can't see anything on Unit tab to check and in Location's report the "SU" column is wrong. For example, I have 1 CC attached to Lvov repairing but in the Commanders Report it shows 0 SU's attached. Any other way to see?

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 54
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/31/2021 12:28:49 AM   
johng5155

Thanks for the info. So, is there a reason to assign any combat support units to the army group or army levels?

< Message edited by johng5155 -- 3/31/2021 12:29:50 AM >

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 55
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/31/2021 12:35:36 AM   
M60A3TTS

There have been occasions where railroad repair support units, and I'm not talking FBDs, get assigned to these levels in order to better target the areas in which the AI repairs the lines. I'm not sure how effective that actually is though. Others can weigh in on this. Artillery, pioniers, and things that add combat value all belong at the lowest command levels.

(in reply to johng5155)
Post #: 56
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/31/2021 1:03:31 AM   
juv95hrn

quote:

ORIGINAL: johng5155

Thanks for the info. So, is there a reason to assign any combat support units to the army group or army levels?

As per WITE1, for Germany, no not really. Unless you really want some SU´s to potentially reach all subordinates, instead of fewer in corps. Or have them spread over a larger geographical area. Mostly you want to focus on corps level, since it increases the actual chance the SU will actually be used in combat at all.

But for the Soviets, most corps will be removed, and the Soviet Armies is the lowest level HQ mostly. So here is where you want to focus your Soviet SU´s. No corps means a slightly less chance for any SU´s to actually see use, but thats just one way the Red Army is weaker at the start of the war.

I doubt this logic have changed much into WITE2.

(in reply to johng5155)
Post #: 57
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 3/31/2021 2:17:27 AM   
TheFerret

quote:

ORIGINAL: dudefan

How do transport planes count in theater boxes? Do they count to the total air day percentage? Can I move them all to the map without a penalty?

I'm curious about this too. Do they contribute to meeting the theater's freight requirement, thereby reducing its demand for trucks? Is there any benefit to sending transport air groups from the map to a theater box?

(in reply to dudefan)
Post #: 58
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 3/31/2021 7:51:39 AM   
briklebritt

What does the value in parentheses mean when looking to to depots capacity?

(in reply to TheFerret)
Post #: 59
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 3/31/2021 8:00:54 AM   
briklebritt

quote:

Brikilebritt:

First statement is that supply is traced to the individual units NOT through the HQs. HQs, however, will set the Supply Priority for their command.

1. no it will send these things out using trucks. The further you go the more wear and tear on the trucks.

2. The depot's trucks can be supplemented by trucks in the units but this will lower the unit's MP allowance for the upcoming turn.

3. Roads make it easier and less costly to deliver supplies to the units. Much as they lower the MP costs for motorized units.

4. If a unit is within three hexes of a depot it will not utilize trucks to gather their supplies - however the freight costs are doubled to represent the fodder and materials needed to use the wagons for the delivery.

5. I believe the parenthesis was the starting value.

6. Correct.

Thanks carlkay58 - big help!

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to understand: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI