Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Quick Questions Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Quick Questions Thread Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/11/2021 1:11:27 PM   
MaB1708

They are updated in-turn for "replacements" in my case.
Setup:
In air phase relocate an air group to another field. Air support need increases and immediately some replacements are brought in (causing some of the "freight sent" in a near depot) that are documented in the supply detail window of the resp. airfield.

Anyway, I take that these are shown in-turn and that the small amounts of ammo/fuel received (and deducted as "freight sent" from nearby depot) are not. At least I have a confirmation what caused the "freight sent" while there was nothing else going on on the battlefield.
If loki has no other explanation there likely is none :-) Thanks again, loki!

< Message edited by MaB1708 -- 7/11/2021 1:14:42 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 841
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/11/2021 5:57:22 PM   
Catop

Hi, thank you for the great game!

I play for USSR in introductory scenario "Road to Minsk".
I found 23rd Mechanized Corps HQ don't have a commander, and I can't add any, even after changing HHQ.
Is it a bug?

< Message edited by Catop -- 7/11/2021 6:39:43 PM >

(in reply to MaB1708)
Post #: 842
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/12/2021 8:47:35 PM   
bighinvegas

In the early stages of the Campaign the Soviets are getting armor reinforcements that have T-60 tanks in the TOE. But T-60's are not even being manufactured yet. Do these units ever do a downgrade to another available tank?
21.2.7. Ground Element Upgrade/
Downgrade and Swaps
Ground elements may change to different ground elements
of the same or a different type during the ground element
segment of the player’s logistics phase. In the upgrade subsegment, the ground element may upgrade in accordance
with its upgrade path as listed in the ground element detail
window (37.6) and the city production list window (37.13).
It may also downgrade to older equipment if this will fulfil
its TOE needs. Many upgrades will remain within the same
ground element type (e.g. Rifle Squad, Medium Tank,
Heavy Artillery, etc.), but some will result in a change of
type such as maybe using a Light Tank Destroyer in place
of a Light Tank.
In the swap sub-segment, the computer may change
out existing ground elements with ground elements of
the same type, but not necessarily along the upgrade/
downgrade path, though priority will be given to newer
equipment. For example, a Panzer IVg is a medium tank
ground element, which upgrades to the Panzer IVh and
downgrades to the Panzer IVf2. In the swap sub-segment,
however, Panzer IVg ground elements may be changed
out to another medium tank, such as a Panzer IIIj L/60,
depending on the available.

(in reply to Catop)
Post #: 843
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/12/2021 8:51:53 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: bighinvegas

In the early stages of the Campaign the Soviets are getting armor reinforcements that have T-60 tanks in the TOE. But T-60's are not even being manufactured yet. Do these units ever do a downgrade to another available tank?

yes it can pick up anything that is coded as a light tank (or acceptable substitute). There are a few instances where a TOE comes in before all the notional assets are to hand - mainly to avoid too much duplication of very similar TOEs.

One particular issue is the 1941 cav division wants a lot of 14.5mm ATR so sticks at 75% TOE till these become available

(in reply to bighinvegas)
Post #: 844
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 3:59:13 AM   
westphalianpeace

Does exposure to blizzard conditions in less than Fort 2 hexes damage stationary tanks?
I am on Turn 27 and I've noticed that even the tanks I had stationary behind the front line for several turns now have 90% of the tanks listed as damaged. I havn't moved those units for several turns.
On page 145 of the manual is says that units take more attrition fighting in blizzard conditions, but it doesn't provide any expectations for how much damage to expect from units not in fighting.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 845
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 7:05:39 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: westphalianpeace

Does exposure to blizzard conditions in less than Fort 2 hexes damage stationary tanks?
I am on Turn 27 and I've noticed that even the tanks I had stationary behind the front line for several turns now have 90% of the tanks listed as damaged. I havn't moved those units for several turns.
On page 145 of the manual is says that units take more attrition fighting in blizzard conditions, but it doesn't provide any expectations for how much damage to expect from units not in fighting.

yes its locational damage, unlike normal attrition which comes off either/or movement/combat.

(in reply to westphalianpeace)
Post #: 846
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 12:50:07 PM   
erikbengtsson

Turn 1 Soviet: I want to mass move air units to the strategic reserve, so I set Asset Priority to 0 for several Air Commands.

Turn 2: Objective achieved, most air is now in the SR. But I can no longer accesses the Air Commands on Asset Prio 0, to change it. During the Air Phase, or when pressing "A" during the ground phase, I can only see the Air Commands on higher Asset Prio. The actual Air Commands HQ's are still on map, but I cannot change Asset Prio from the HQ interface.

Question: How do I find the adequate interface to change the Asset Prio of those Air Commands?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 847
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 12:56:11 PM   
carlkay58

erik: Go to the Commander Report screen -> Air tab -> AOG tab and this will give you access to all active AOGs (and the commands) to change their various options.

(in reply to erikbengtsson)
Post #: 848
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 1:00:11 PM   
erikbengtsson

Thanks!

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 849
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 2:29:52 PM   
gw15

I don't know what I'm doing wrong about assigning pilots to air units. I'm running v1.00.12 beta. Russia, turn 12.
I have many air units in the SR that do not have any pilots. The CR shows 3,888 pilots Ready, 869 Free, 366 pool.
When I pick a MIG-3 unit that has not pilots but 20 ready planes I click on "get trained pilots" and nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong?
I also tried to use the "add pilots" tab on the CR but still did not work.
Are pilots only assigned to air units when on the map?

Post #: 850
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 3:13:16 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: gw15

I don't know what I'm doing wrong about assigning pilots to air units. I'm running v1.00.12 beta. Russia, turn 12.
I have many air units in the SR that do not have any pilots. The CR shows 3,888 pilots Ready, 869 Free, 366 pool.
When I pick a MIG-3 unit that has not pilots but 20 ready planes I click on "get trained pilots" and nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong?
I also tried to use the "add pilots" tab on the CR but still did not work.
Are pilots only assigned to air units when on the map?

you might be a wee bit less frustrated if you checked the manual sections on 'assigning pilots' and in particular 16.7.3 as that handily deals with how pilots interact with air groups in the national reserve:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 851
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 3:26:22 PM   
gw15

Ah! Thanks. I read parts of the manual almost everyday and I still miss stuff.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 852
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 6:24:33 PM   
Darojax

As Soviet player, in lets say September 1941, how do you get replacement men and equipment to be spread out in a somewhat even fashion over the map units?

I have tried setting everything to the same supply priority, lowering the ToE of most units, not setting anything to refit, but it doesnt seem to work. On paper everything should have the same priority. But replacement men are just received by a select very few units, and then in the thousands while the main bulk of the Red Army gets nothing.

Of note is also that units in the National Reserve receive A LOT more usually, which is really unhelpful.

So to sum up: How can I make sure reinforcements in the form of men and equipment is spread somewhat evenly across all my fielded units, and how can I prevent most of it all to go to the National Reserve?

Cheers.

< Message edited by Darojax -- 7/13/2021 6:26:51 PM >

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 853
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 9:09:49 PM   
loki100

quite simply you can't. Replacements will go where their is freight/depots, units on refit or to the reserve.

refit and in the reserve will always have first claim, non refit in the reserve will claim if there is anything left to be allocated.

The point is WiTE1 had a linear supply system, infinite rails meant the only variable was how far your unit was from a rail head. WiTE2 has a non-linear supply system, so units a and b can be equally 4 hexes from a depot but one gets resupplied (and takes on replacements) and the other doesn't.

but broadly, Soviet units in 1941 won't gain replacements unless in refit mode and on (or next to) a depot that can receive and process a fair bit of freight

(in reply to Darojax)
Post #: 854
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 9:20:43 PM   
Darojax

Informative answer, cheers.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 855
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 9:22:24 PM   
erikbengtsson

quote:

ORIGINAL: erikbengtsson

Turn 1 Soviet: I want to mass move air units to the strategic reserve, so I set Asset Priority to 0 for several Air Commands.

Turn 2: Objective achieved, most air is now in the SR. But I can no longer accesses the Air Commands on Asset Prio 0, to change it. During the Air Phase, or when pressing "A" during the ground phase, I can only see the Air Commands on higher Asset Prio. The actual Air Commands HQ's are still on map, but I cannot change Asset Prio from the HQ interface.

Question: How do I find the adequate interface to change the Asset Prio of those Air Commands?

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

erik: Go to the Commander Report screen -> Air tab -> AOG tab and this will give you access to all active AOGs (and the commands) to change their various options.

Hmmm. Doing this, the only AOG's that show are the three I have on Asset Prio 2 (along with their sub units). The ones on Asset Prio zero aren't there.

Question: How do I get back access to those?

Post #: 856
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 9:38:53 PM   
Darojax

AOGs are just containers to assist with management of several airgroups at once. If you don't have any airgroups assigned to them they will disappear from the map, and there is no point in setting ASSET PRIORITY either since there are no Aircraft / Pilots in the group.

In order to bring back those controls you have to bring back an airgroup (from the national reserve if you removed them all from the map), and place it under command of the AOG, you will then be able to adjust ASSET PRIORITY again.

< Message edited by Darojax -- 7/13/2021 9:41:08 PM >

Post #: 857
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/13/2021 10:07:10 PM   
erikbengtsson

Thank you, Darojax. That worked!

(in reply to Darojax)
Post #: 858
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/14/2021 1:46:26 PM   
squatter

What penalties does the attacker face attacking from a ferry hex?

Searching the manual for 'ferry' discusses MP costs for ferries, but no mention of malus for attacking?

Post #: 859
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/14/2021 3:06:37 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: squatter

What penalties does the attacker face attacking from a ferry hex?

Searching the manual for 'ferry' discusses MP costs for ferries, but no mention of malus for attacking?

may have got lost in the translation from the WiTW manual. One bit is clear, if you fail the crossing then you have to retreat from the hex. The direct combat effect is that of a major river (23.8.9) so the impact is a bit conditional.

You take disruption when committing to the battle, in this case that really hits motorised elements. The battle then resolves normally (except you have lost a large chunk of your potential cv). The manual suggests around 2/3, I think its a lot more variable, an infantry formation with a lot of artillery will often not see anything like this.

Overall, I think that the malus for cross-river attacks is often misunderstood and seen to be more substantial than it really is

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 860
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/14/2021 4:32:01 PM   
squatter

Thanks Loki.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 861
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/15/2021 8:43:30 AM   
squatter

Just wondering what the red shading for certain town/city hexes denotes when logistics is toggled on?

I had thought for a while it denoted presence of railyard, but clearly not.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 862
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/15/2021 10:15:21 AM   
loki100

quote:

Just wondering what the red shading for certain town/city hexes denotes when logistics is toggled on?

I had thought for a while it denoted presence of railyard, but clearly not.

its the presence of any 'factory' other than just manpower, so in that case arms pts at Sverdlovsk and fuel east of the Don.

I think you also need the factory map mode flipped on to get this effect?

edit - its a mapmode I use a lot as the Germans as its a quick way to see where there are existing railyards and thus an easier means to set up new depots

< Message edited by loki100 -- 7/15/2021 10:16:15 AM >

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 863
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/15/2021 10:32:49 AM   
squatter

Thanks Loki - yes you are right factory mode not logistic mode shows this display.

I too use it to identify railyards, although as others have pointed out it would be excellent to be able to toggle which icons should show (in order to isolate railyards) because currently the display is icon soup.

Considering none of the icons have really any practical influence on gameplay aside from railyards, I hope this is on the devs list to consider!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 864
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/15/2021 10:33:49 AM   
squatter

What influence if any does enemy ZOC have on a unit sitting on a depot in refit mode? (ie - does refit still work in this instance?)

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 865
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/15/2021 10:44:36 AM   
loki100

quote:

Thanks Loki - yes you are right factory mode not logistic mode shows this display.

I too use it to identify railyards, although as others have pointed out it would be excellent to be able to toggle which icons should show (in order to isolate railyards) because currently the display is icon soup.

Considering none of the icons have really any practical influence on gameplay aside from railyards, I hope this is on the devs list to consider!

well it directly affects planning a strategic air campaign, and why lose functionality that comes back into play if the integration witt WiTW is achieved

realise that map layout and aesthetics is a matter of choice but I personally wouldn't describe this as 'icon soup', pretty easy to spot where the Soviet railyards are?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 866
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/15/2021 10:45:37 AM   
loki100

quote:

What influence if any does enemy ZOC have on a unit sitting on a depot in refit mode? (ie - does refit still work in this instance?)

cancels the effect, being in a ZoC stops refit working, the remaining advantage is it still can be an easy location to deliver and pick up freight

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 867
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/15/2021 2:44:36 PM   
squatter

quote:

well it directly affects planning a strategic air campaign, and why lose functionality that comes back into play if the integration witt WiTW is achieved

Point taken - a toggle would be the perfect half way house in that case.

In WitE let's face it, its railyards that players need to find, as there's no strategic air war to speak of.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 868
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/16/2021 12:18:43 AM   
glenhope

First winter rules: "Rail System. When Axis trains are moving freight by rail,the MP cost for each hex is increased by 10 plus the snow level in Blizzard hexes."

Increased by 10 from what to what and out of how many? There must be another rule about this somewhere.

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 869
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 7/16/2021 12:20:55 AM   
glenhope

1. Theatre boxes require a certain amount of units to get "100%". Is it number of units, or size, or type, or number of troops? Do any 2 divisions count the same? Does the TB need a mix of unit types or can I swap out all the useful stuff and replace them in the TB with crap?

2. Soviet Union Garrison TB. Do supplies for units in this TB burden the rail net? How? Do units in this TB suffer the first winter effect of being not in a city or level 2 fort level?

(in reply to glenhope)
Post #: 870
Page:   <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Quick Questions Thread Page: <<   < prev  27 28 [29] 30 31   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI