Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Quick Questions Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Quick Questions Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/5/2021 2:00:29 PM   
MechFO

quote:

ORIGINAL: FriedrichII

Currently I am playing the 1941 campaign and I am considering to send Divisions to the Afrika Theater Box. I have manual control over the theater boxes.

I am still on turn 1, but I have so much fun with this game as I did not have with a PC game since years!

My questions are:

1. what will happen with my Afrika Units after this Theater will have been lost? Are they all lost?

2. Are there any hints which Theater Boxes I should reinforce and with how many Divisions?

I am playing versus the AI on normal difficulty.

Forget Divisions, you need them in the East on the map, but you can get a lot of extra mileage from adding Bombers, Recon, AA etc. in the right places. F.e. you probably don't need a lot of AA until into 42, I send nearly all AA back to Reserve to reduce supply consumption. Also a lot of your Biplane recons are fairly useless since they are very short ranged and the new air base system is not very flexible. You can then send some of these to Norway, NA etc. to help with the Ground and Naval %.

You can get some Infantry Divisions out of WE, Finland and the Balkans if you do it right.

However be aware that once you start juggling you can't really stop. For this to work you need to delete the Transfer Orders for everything and you need to be on top of which units are disbanding, what the Theater Requirement changes might be etc. and have a reserve in the AR box.

(in reply to FriedrichII)
Post #: 151
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/5/2021 6:25:01 PM   
FriedrichII

Thank you MechFO for your hints!

I am now close to finish turn 1.

I captured Riga, Vilnius, Minsk and Lvov. I am happy about that.

I am not sure how to set the depots the right way. I am thinking how to set the depot priority the right way?

My understanding so far is that I set depot priority to 4 in Riga and Minsk? Is that correct?

Riga has a port, but the rail connection to Minsk does not work. Does it make sense to have a depot in Minsk without working rail connection?

Also I set all German ports to export and only Riga as an import port?
Should I reduce the depot priority in Memel and other depots at the old border from 4 to 3 so that more freight will get send to Riga?

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 152
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/5/2021 6:58:04 PM   
carlkay58

FriedrichII - thank you. If either coordinate is <= 187 you are safe. Lvov is definitely a safe turn 1 bet.

Post #: 153
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/5/2021 7:00:43 PM   
carlkay58

bricklebritt - there are no "RR repair" HQs other than the FBDs. What you do is assign the RR repair SUs to an HQ. I tend to use a Hungarian Corps HQ at the start for the south and later on add a Rumanian Corps HQ when the Rumanian FBD withdraws. In my current AAR I am also attaching a few in AGN to Corps HQs that have other units assigned to them but the repair area is in their range.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 154
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/5/2021 7:13:51 PM   
MechFO

quote:

Thank you MechFO for your hints!

I am now close to finish turn 1.

I captured Riga, Vilnius, Minsk and Lvov. I am happy about that.

I am not sure how to set the depots the right way. I am thinking how to set the depot priority the right way?

My understanding so far is that I set depot priority to 4 in Riga and Minsk? Is that correct?

Riga has a port, but the rail connection to Minsk does not work. Does it make sense to have a depot in Minsk without working rail connection?

Not yet but no harm in doing so, it might have some captured supply. Important is to priority repair the Railyard right away.

quote:

Also I set all German ports to export and only Riga as an import port?
Should I reduce the depot priority in Memel and other depots at the old border from 4 to 3 so that more freight will get send to Riga?

I put every port I don't want to receive supply by ship on export.

The whole when to put which depot on what priority is a topic onto itself.

How I do it is chain the depots, so front is 4, second 3 etc. Put anything far back on 0 unless you want to use it as an export port or it's a supply hub for frozen troops/Air units.

Once your FBD reaches a big Railyard, pause one turn with the FBD on the depot, that gives a big dump of supply all down the line. This is important, I only just started doing this and it has a big impact on what makes it to the front.

Post #: 155
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/5/2021 10:45:22 PM   
FriedrichII

Thanks for the hints again MechFO. I tried to set the logistic like you recommended it.

I am now at turn 2 and there are three things I am wondering about:

1. the Kurland pocket south-west of Riga is surprisingly empty. I had pocket several Soviet units there and they did not evade through land. Either it is a bug, or they evacuate through the sea (via ships)?

2. The railway repair units (su) from the AGC HQ are repairing the railways north of Memel. I think this could be a bug?

3. I had about 7000 casualties at the end of turn 1 and now they are about 12000, but there had been no land battles in the Soviet turn.
I looked up the attrition and found a number around 400. What are I am missing?

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 156
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/5/2021 11:17:25 PM   
carlkay58

1. They could have escaped by sea, disbanded (although very questionable), combined (the AI has discovered how to do this and does frequently in pockets), or it is possible that if they were routed into the pocket that they dissolved.

2. An AG HQ has a range of 90 hexes. It is quite possible that they could be there legitimately.

3. It would be attrition losses OR damaged units that failed leadership checks and were destroyed.

All the above (well except #2) are possibilities that may not be true.

Post #: 157
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/6/2021 12:57:13 AM   
MechFO

quote:

I am now at turn 2 and there are three things I am wondering about:

1. the Kurland pocket south-west of Riga is surprisingly empty. I had pocket several Soviet units there and they did not evade through land. Either it is a bug, or they evacuate through the sea (via ships)?

It's a good idea to run naval inderdiction on the first 2-3 turn to stop those units from escaping.

Naval interdiction runs along the entire flight path to the target hex.

Post #: 158
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/6/2021 11:01:09 AM   
M_B

I notice on page 219 of the manual it states

quote:

All aircraft have a reliability rating which ranges from “really
good” (lower numbers) to “really bad” (higher numbers).

Is that correct? For example, a 109-F2 has 15 and an E-3 has 10 - is the E-3 really more reliable?

Edit: In answer to my own question, yes it is correct.

< Message edited by M_B -- 4/6/2021 11:13:37 AM >

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 159
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/6/2021 11:11:19 AM   
squatter

Is there any way to tell the AI air not to overstack at airfields with low supply/ammo?

Can you say: "don't base at fields with less than 50% ammo" or something similar?

(in reply to M_B)
Post #: 160
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/6/2021 11:33:17 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: squatter

Is there any way to tell the AI air not to overstack at airfields with low supply/ammo?

Can you say: "don't base at fields with less than 50% ammo" or something similar?

it should be avoiding them, or at least its meant to avoid low supply situations.

this might be a bug but some of it might be WAD. In effect, its the placement of aircraft at a base that triggers the supply routines but in the main it shouldn't be overstaking - so that might be worth reporting in the tech forum so it can be looked at

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 161
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/6/2021 5:13:12 PM   
Bamilus

How important is fatigue? I find myself not paying much attention to it. I know it can impact a lot of things but compared to CPP/TOE %/and supplies, where would you rank it in importance (if you can)?

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 162
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/6/2021 6:07:33 PM   
FriedrichII

Thanks carlkay58 and MechFO.

They must have been evacuated through the Ventspils port. There has been circa 9 Units in the Kurland pocket. Parts of the Soviet 8th and 27th Army and also the Soviet 23rd Tank Division.
I did not anticipate that the AI would be such smart.

I am thinking of restarting the campaign and order some naval interdiction around the Ventspils port to avoid this big scale evacuation.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 163
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/6/2021 6:08:25 PM   
teddybbeer

What unit is this? and why its on Dago? and why has Soviet unit German/Swedish name?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 164
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/6/2021 6:09:39 PM   
malyhin1517

quote:

Thanks carlkay58 and MechFO.

They must have been evacuated through the Ventspils port. There has been circa 9 Units in the Kurland pocket. Parts of the Soviet 8th and 27th Army and also the Soviet 23rd Tank Division.
I did not anticipate that the AI would be such smart.

I am thinking of restarting the campaign and order some naval interdiction around the Ventspils port to avoid this big scale evacuation.

In my games, I always capture all ports on 1 turn so that no one can leave by sea! It is much more reliable and requires only one regiment of motorized infantry!

Sorry, i use an online translator :(

Post #: 165
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/6/2021 6:11:36 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: teddybbeer

What unit is this? and why its on Dago? and why has Soviet unit German/Swedish name?

its the Soviet garrison formation for the Estonian islands, there are a few on map regimental counters for the Soviets in 1941.

no idea why its named that way, perhaps its a grouping of various sub-units?

(in reply to teddybbeer)
Post #: 166
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 1:11:15 AM   
Bamilus

What does the refit mean in the production ground element map? The number of elements that are to be replaced next turn? Same for manpower.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 167
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 1:14:55 AM   
Rosencrantus

1) Is there any way to switch the units from imperial to metric

2) in the logistic phase report what does "RepFr rec", "RepMn Rec", "RepFr Lost" mean?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 168
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 3:50:39 AM   
56ajax

Rep = Replacement, Rec = Received, FR = Freight and MN = Men

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne

(in reply to Rosencrantus)
Post #: 169
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 4:02:39 AM   
Rosencrantus

Thanks for the response

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 170
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 6:05:22 AM   
Hardradi

1) Is there a way to see damaged planes destroyed when my land units overrun an enemy air base?

2) In the Road to Leningrad Scenario, as Germany with FOG on, I can see Soviet planes at Glubkoe, Polotsk and Daugavpils air bases. When I go to bomb them there are no planes. When I take off FOG these planes disappear. Does this represent false or misleading intel for the Germans with FOG on or is it some sort of glitch?

< Message edited by Hardradi -- 4/7/2021 6:26:46 AM >

(in reply to Rosencrantus)
Post #: 171
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 1:30:28 PM   
dudefan

AUtomatic rail repair doesnt stay with Army HQs even if locked. automatically goes to army group. WAD or bug?

< Message edited by dudefan -- 4/7/2021 1:34:55 PM >

(in reply to Hardradi)
Post #: 172
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 1:34:51 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: dudefan

where are the savegames located?

Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2\Dat\Save

(in reply to dudefan)
Post #: 173
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 1:35:23 PM   
dudefan

thx. found it in the second i posted

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 174
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 1:49:32 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hardradi

1) Is there a way to see damaged planes destroyed when my land units overrun an enemy air base?

2) In the Road to Leningrad Scenario, as Germany with FOG on, I can see Soviet planes at Glubkoe, Polotsk and Daugavpils air bases. When I go to bomb them there are no planes. When I take off FOG these planes disappear. Does this represent false or misleading intel for the Germans with FOG on or is it some sort of glitch?

On (1), not displayed on the map as the action occurs. When you open the aircraft tab of the losses screen (L) you will see the running total of aircraft destroyed on the ground. It's tedious, but that's the only way I know of.

(in reply to Hardradi)
Post #: 175
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 2:03:09 PM   
M60A3TTS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

What does the refit mean in the production ground element map? The number of elements that are to be replaced next turn? Same for manpower.

In your example, there are no German medium tanks required among all of those units that you have set to refit. Since you don't need tanks for them, you don't need manpower for them either.

Not in OB, I'm not sure what that is, but it is a separate column that usually doesn't contain much.

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 176
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 3:46:42 PM   
teddybbeer

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: teddybbeer

its the Soviet garrison formation for the Estonian islands, there are a few on map regimental counters for the Soviets in 1941.

no idea why its named that way, perhaps its a grouping of various sub-units?

Better name would be Garrison of Baltic Fleets Baltic Area Coastguards Northern Defence Sector in russian: Береговая оборона Балтийского района Краснознамённого Балтийского флота Северный укреплённый сектор or БОБP КБФ СУС in short. Or atleast change Osel to Dago :) as Ösel=Saaremaa and Dago=Hiiumaa and that regiment is on wrong island.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 177
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 5:14:44 PM   
carlkay58

dudefan - the RR repair units should stay with a locked HQ. If the HQ is not locked then they move up to the Army Group level pretty fast. Make sure your HQ is locked.

(in reply to teddybbeer)
Post #: 178
RE: Quick Questions Thread - 4/7/2021 6:44:17 PM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

quote:

In your example, there are no German medium tanks required among all of those units that you have set to refit. Since you don't need tanks for them, you don't need manpower for them either.

Not in OB, I'm not sure what that is, but it is a separate column that usually doesn't contain much.

Thank you for clarification!

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 179
RE: Truck Summary in logistics Phase Report is hard to ... - 4/7/2021 7:11:17 PM   
MaB1708

quote:

What does negative replacements mean in the unit supply details screen and commanders report screen? Does this represent a shortfall or does it mean they converted support units to rifle squads?

In case this one is still open for you, I just stumbled over the answer while spending some time on the unit supply detail window. Handbook says: "Replacements The net number of men received as replacements and the freight tonnage that was converted to replacements.This number can be negative if more men are returned to the pool than are received in replacements." (37.12.3)

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2 >> RE: Quick Questions Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI