Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[FIXED B1147.25] Out of memory exception

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED B1147.25] Out of memory exception Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[FIXED B1147.25] Out of memory exception - 3/27/2021 5:06:28 PM   
morphin

I really love this game but again out of memory messages and crashes, random course changes, arbitrarily sub deep and course changes.

I had the hope for over a year that you can fix theses things...
Maybe i have to stop playing CMO

Sad

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 6/5/2021 6:10:23 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 3/27/2021 5:07:55 PM   
morphin

Here the logs

Attachment (1)

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 2
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 3/27/2021 5:11:54 PM   
morphin

Here the save game bevor all the things happens.

Also it is a pitty that suddenly i see 5 enemy subs (because they surfaced suddenly)
So all the exciting to find the subs is lost....
Such a shame

Attachment (1)

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 3
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 3/27/2021 5:59:37 PM   
thewood1

Too bad. See you later.

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 4
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 3/27/2021 6:22:25 PM   
thewood1

So looked at the scenario and its still being developed. It might also be one of the most complex scenarios developed for CMO by anyone in the community. All I saw you do in that thread is demand other players provide you with tools they built and push the designer to go faster.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4816834&mpage=4

You were not very helpful in that long thread where gunner98 was working on the scenario. You were very demanding and not patient. And your response to the designer not moving fast enough for you is to throw a tantrum in the tech support thread. I don't find that cool or useful. You are basically calling out one of the hardest working community members because he can't finish one scenario to your liking.

How about letting the scenario builder time to finish the scenario, look at the issues, and not be so demanding? If you can't do that, stop playing unfinished scenarios. Or you can just do what your doing now and throw the baby out with the bath water.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 3/27/2021 6:38:47 PM   
BDukes

Sorry to hear that Morphin.

I've noticed your troubles over the years. Is this the same computer and has it ever been reformatted?

If CMO provides you with a ton of fun it may be worth exploring so you can at least eliminate something at the Operating System or driver level is the issue. If this computer is old and you like to game this might be a great excuse to spring for a new one.

Mike

< Message edited by BDukes -- 3/27/2021 7:32:01 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 6
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 3/28/2021 11:39:18 PM   
KnightHawk75

Morphin,

Probably shouldn't judge the entire game by personal performance in one scene ( as mentioned it is one of the more challenging that exists).
I don't get the memory errors you do when I played it myself, nor when playing your saves forward in time (I've played forward hours and hours), nor did I have the surfacing sub issue - unless it just happens days later in game from when the save is - perhaps that happened due to other issues. Played on fresh game start and only bmng and borders layers on, some time ago I played that scene for about 3-4 days (real-time) straight without restarting the game without issue. Test was on 1147.16, played in editor-mode. I'm curious for how long you were playing the save before these things happened and what the meme usage was at when you ran into these things.

As BDukes mentions perhaps some the memory errors are more a system, drivers, or .net runtime issue on your end worth investigating. That said one thing you can do if you keep running into that issue, is watch command's memory usage over time for larger scenarios (3000+au) and if and when it starts getting to around > 2.7 gig sustained (not spikes), pause your game,clear the log if don't need it and it's excessive, save, and restart the game. The game can use more but around the mid to low 3's, you're likely to hit process limits, if you're getting out of memory errors below that, something else is likely wrong. One reason for a exe restart every so often is it'll clear some of the data that gets cached, some of which doesn't always get culled over time, for example it started about 1.4gig growing to 2.7 (after about 12 real hours playing doing a ton of stuff and loading up lots of tile\layer data), cleared log, saved,reloaded and it was back to 1.5gig.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 7
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 3/29/2021 10:52:17 PM   
guanotwozero

If you love the game so much, please bear in mind it can be played on a relatively low-spec machine, hence a cheap replacement (e.g. second hand) should do the job. I currently play more on my laptop than my main PC as I don't feel I'm losing out on anything. Cyberpunk 2077 it ain't!

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 8
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/3/2021 7:48:54 AM   
morphin

It has nothing to do with hardware

The developpers should knows how to handle this error

3/22/2021 5:30:33 AM -- B1147.18 -- Out of memory.
Exception: Out of memory.
Stack Trace: at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement)
at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename)
at Command.MainForm.—()
Call Stack & Error details:
Error at 200126, Out of memory.

->"Out of memory" message is misleading. Either files are corrupt or there is no proper file handling implemented (for example to many file handler opened, not closing file handler correctly, missing error handling. Maybe you have to use another file handling method)
I stronlgy suggest to check file handling and error handling.

So for a developper this error is well known

(But there are others error as well that the developpers need to deal with)

Regards
Andy

(in reply to guanotwozero)
Post #: 9
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/3/2021 10:13:44 AM   
thewood1

I thought you gave up.

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 10
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/3/2021 12:06:40 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

I thought you gave up.

Why is this helpful? Ever...

Don't answer. Thanks

Mike

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 11
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/3/2021 12:20:41 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: morphin

It has nothing to do with hardware

The developpers should knows how to handle this error

3/22/2021 5:30:33 AM -- B1147.18 -- Out of memory.
Exception: Out of memory.
Stack Trace: at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement)
at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename)
at Command.MainForm.—()
Call Stack & Error details:
Error at 200126, Out of memory.

->"Out of memory" message is misleading. Either files are corrupt or there is no proper file handling implemented (for example to many file handler opened, not closing file handler correctly, missing error handling. Maybe you have to use another file handling method)
I stronlgy suggest to check file handling and error handling.

So for a developper this error is well known

(But there are others error as well that the developpers need to deal with)

Regards
Andy

This may be true but if this isn't happening to too many people. If so, there would be more posts. Believe me the normals don't hold back. The bigger issue is they don't have access to your system so don't have 100% visibility into what is going on. Windows logs are just ok for the purpose of troubleshooting but don't often tell the complete story. Any developer will say they're good start points but also has a tale or 100 where the logs didn't exactly nail it.

Now to the point, they're never going to be able to look or replicate your system exactly. If you're this upset and truly like the game, isn't worth wiping and reinstalling? It also may a great time for a new system. If it fixes it, even if what you think is true? Isn't it worth it? I mean end of the day who gives a toss if its something on their end if your game now works?

Mike

< Message edited by BDukes -- 4/3/2021 12:38:01 PM >

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 12
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/3/2021 2:19:22 PM   
morphin

It is not windows logs. It is in the game log
You seee even where the error ocurs in the code

I told to every new developper in our company that a good logging is as important as writing "nice" working code....
So the logging here is sufficient (without seeing the source code and making a code review)

With good logging you must normally not have access to other system...

If you have this kind of error in your application log it is fine and should be fixed without a hassle.

Andy

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 13
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/3/2021 2:46:21 PM   
thewood1

"Why is this helpful?"

Numerous people, including devs and players alike, have tried to help you over the years. You have come across as impatient and rather impertinent in you any help that is offered. You issues are isolated to you. Again and again, your response to offered advice is to insist its not your problem. Maybe it is or maybe it isn't. But you seem to be the only one throwing a tantrum in public over it.

Lets see if this comment is helpful...

"Maybe i have to stop playing CMO"

Its call a martyr syndrome. Its people who feel persecuted for whatever reason. Do you really think threatening to stop playing is going to get any change in actions? I suspect it has the opposite effect.

Just look at your posts in the recent past. Always wanting someone to do something for you. Its never enough. I suspect no one will ever do enough for you.

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 14
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/3/2021 3:02:07 PM   
morphin

I don't have to comment this reply but do you think your reply helped to improve the game and fix this error?

For the others that read this thread:

On multiple threads (also on this one) i gave hints and helped to fix multiple issues. I'm very thankful for all the help from others and developpers to my questions as also to help others.

Neverless. Every software has bugs and this one is no exceptions. Some bugs are more difficult to fix and some are easier to fix (like this out of memory errors should normaly be easier to fix).
So please help to fix errors but i fear that your comments doesn't help.

Thank's
Andy

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 15
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/3/2021 3:03:10 PM   
thewood1

So are you still playing it? Or was this just emotion talking?

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 16
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/3/2021 3:05:49 PM   
BDukes

quote:

It is not windows logs. It is in the game log
You seee even where the error ocurs in the code

I told to every new developper in our company that a good logging is as important as writing "nice" working code....
So the logging here is sufficient (without seeing the source code and making a code review)

With good logging you must normally not have access to other system...

If you have this kind of error in your application log it is fine and should be fixed without a hassle.

Andy

It bugs me your game isn't working because I know how long you've been at this. If you didn't like the game or the community, you would have said, F-this a long time ago. You're here and trying to get this fixed. That's commendable, and nobody can fault you for that. On the flip-side, there are lots of people who could have said f-that to your posts. They're not though, and seem to be giving you a common suggestion that might help. If you do it, and it doesn't fix the problem, people may give more support to your cause. Just do the thing, man. If it doesn't fix the issue and get you rolling it is at least a step forward.

Mike

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 17
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/4/2021 7:22:45 AM   
Zanthra

How big is your page file? If go to the control panel, then system -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced -> Performance (Settings) -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory (Change) How much page file is allocated? Small page files can cause strange memory errors by limiting the OS ability to shuffle memory around properly. Windows by default has a fairly generous page file allocation, and is not often changed from the default, so it if is the problem, it could explain why it is not reproducible by others. It's probably worth checking.

< Message edited by Zanthra -- 4/4/2021 7:38:16 AM >

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 18
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/4/2021 8:03:49 AM   
morphin

Hi Zanthra

Thank's for helping.

Month ago i did already an analysis about memory. I even recorded performance counters. There is no limitation on my system (32GB Memory and 8GB Pagefile).
CMO is only using small part of the memory (also if it crashes is only using about 2GB when it crashes. No raising of memory usage at the time it crashed). It only crashes rare now so new version fixed something.
I'm not the only one, but yes this behaviour is rare.

One thing are the limitations of a 32 BIT Programm (see https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4933666&mpage=1&key=). I hope they are considering to go to 64 BIT

But good thing is that the application is logging this error and with the error descriptions and finding the locations in the code and with a little bit of research the developer should resolve this

Thank's

(in reply to Zanthra)
Post #: 19
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/4/2021 11:54:07 AM   
ultradave

I downloaded both your saves. Can you provide a little more detail?

1. You mention random course changes, and arbitrary sub depth changes and course changes. Can you provide more detail, specifically what unit should I monitor and when does the change happen following loading your save?

2. Crashes and out of memory error. Does the out of memory error cause a crash? Also, what specifically were you doing when the game crashed or caused an out of memory error?
( I have loaded both, run forward and changed simulation speed from 1x to max a number of times. So far it is behaving well for me. My computer is not as high spec as yours. In fact, it's a MacBook Pro, running W10 in Parallels Desktop, which runs CMO quite well. I've never had CMO or C:MANO for that matter, crash on me. Not once.)

3. What revision of CMO are you running?

4. Do you have these issues with any other scenarios? For example, have you set up a simple test scenario for the changing courses/depth issue?

I'd be happy to poke around more if I have a more specific idea of what to watch for.

Dave

< Message edited by ultradave -- 4/4/2021 12:48:50 PM >

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 20
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/4/2021 1:01:00 PM   
thewood1

This is ground hog day.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 21
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/4/2021 1:56:04 PM   
morphin

quote:

ORIGINAL: ultradave

I downloaded both your saves. Can you provide a little more detail?

1. You mention random course changes, and arbitrary sub depth changes and course changes. Can you provide more detail, specifically what unit should I monitor and when does the change happen following loading your save?

2. Crashes and out of memory error. Does the out of memory error cause a crash? Also, what specifically were you doing when the game crashed or caused an out of memory error?
( I have loaded both, run forward and changed simulation speed from 1x to max a number of times. So far it is behaving well for me. My computer is not as high spec as yours. In fact, it's a MacBook Pro, running W10 in Parallels Desktop, which runs CMO quite well. I've never had CMO or C:MANO for that matter, crash on me. Not once.)

3. What revision of CMO are you running?

4. Do you have these issues with any other scenarios? For example, have you set up a simple test scenario for the changing courses/depth issue?

I'd be happy to poke around more if I have a more specific idea of what to watch for.

Dave

1. about 5 Enemy subs (but also own subs) are suddenly surfaced (like AndrewJ has also remarked in other scenario (https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4991665&mpage=2). I have seen this in a couple of other scenarios too (larger ones).
Also the sudden course changes i have also had in other scenarios you should see just after loading (without starting the scenario). Here all the courses that are doted were set from me before (you should see at least a few courses that are dotted in on save files). That suddenly happens.

2. The game last time crashes not while playing, but next day when i come back to the computer (Red Cross displayed through the CMO Window). I often let the computer running 24h. A few month ago i had this regularly (after a few houres come back playing), but now it is very rare that this happens. . But for me this is not the most urgent thing. (I could close CMO and start CMO again on next day to prevent this). What i do maybe more than others is loading a previous savegame often (i do no use autosave. On bigger scenarios they still fail regularly). So some thing to check is if some (static) variables are not cleanly disposed and second thing would be which background processes are still running when game is paused and could make these error messages.
3. Latest 1147.18

4. https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4933666 and https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4816834&mpage=4&key=

Andy

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 22
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/4/2021 6:37:52 PM   
Zanthra

quote:

Hi Zanthra

Thank's for helping.

Month ago i did already an analysis about memory. I even recorded performance counters. There is no limitation on my system (32GB Memory and 8GB Pagefile).
CMO is only using small part of the memory (also if it crashes is only using about 2GB when it crashes. No raising of memory usage at the time it crashed). It only crashes rare now so new version fixed something.
I'm not the only one, but yes this behaviour is rare.

One thing are the limitations of a 32 BIT Programm (see https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4933666&mpage=1&key=). I hope they are considering to go to 64 BIT

But good thing is that the application is logging this error and with the error descriptions and finding the locations in the code and with a little bit of research the developer should resolve this

Thank's

8GB of page file for 32GB of RAM is considered small. Windows by default allocates 36GB of page file on my system with 24GB of RAM. While I don't actually think it's likely in this case, I have seen problems like this in the past even when physical memory usage was low (to be fair at the time total system memory was much lower), and I think setting a larger page file is definitely worth the try. 1.5 times RAM is the often recommended page file size, for 48GB.

< Message edited by Zanthra -- 4/4/2021 6:44:39 PM >

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 23
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/4/2021 11:47:43 PM   
ultradave

Andy,

Well, I've had no luck reproducing any of the problems you are seeing. I loaded and ran your saves and I see the Groton diving from the surface, but when I load the scenario from new, all of my submarines act normally. I changed speeds, depths, courses multiple times and and let the sim run for hours and kept checking each subs. All normal. I made multiple saves and reloaded from the saved games, with no crashes and no changes to behavior. The same results with the Pacific Fury scenario (although I didn't run that one as long). All my subs acted as they should. No unwanted surfacing noted, and no magically appearing enemy subs.

I also for comparison ran a few other submarine scenarios (they are small ones so if this is really a big scenario issue then this may not matter). Scenarios from Silent Service, and the Push scenario from Chains of War all behave normally. I also started up X-Ray Station from Northern Fury and that one behaved well as well. I don't think I've started that one in CMO before , just C:MANO.

For reference, I run on a MacBook Pro, with 8GB RAM and Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 (1536 MB), running W10 in Parallels Desktop. I let Parallels use maximum resources from the Mac because when I'm running it I'm not doing anything in parallel(haha) on the Mac.

So, sorry to not be able to recreate your experience and be able to notice something, but maybe this is helpful too. I was hoping to come across some sequence that led to an issue.

Dave

< Message edited by ultradave -- 4/5/2021 10:09:34 PM >

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 24
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 4/8/2021 7:10:25 PM   
WSBot

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 25
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 6/1/2021 5:20:49 PM   
Crossing the T

I can confirm the memory issues. When loading a complex scenario, CMO takes about 800MB of memory. Once I run it, the memory usage rises constantly to above 2GB, and around 2.5GB the program crashes. Sometimes I still get an error message (out of memory exception, autosave unsuccessful). There seems to be a memory leak. Or perhaps perform a garbage collection once you come across an out of memory exception?

And guys, do port the game to 64bits, will you? I've got a 32GB machine, and I expect any halfway recent, beyond-trivial game to use memory above 4GB. It's there to be used!

Regards,
Stefan

(in reply to WSBot)
Post #: 26
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 6/1/2021 5:24:28 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossing the T
I can confirm the memory issues. When loading a complex scenario, CMO takes about 800MB of memory. Once I run it, the memory usage rises constantly to above 2GB, and around 2.5GB the program crashes. Sometimes I still get an error message (out of memory exception, autosave unsuccessful). There seems to be a memory leak. Or perhaps perform a garbage collection once you come across an out of memory exception?

Since from your description you seem to be encountering an OOM issue with great consistency, can you please lay out the precise steps (incl. specific scenario) to reproduce it? Thanks.

(in reply to Crossing the T)
Post #: 27
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 6/3/2021 5:03:51 PM   
Crossing the T

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dimitris
Since from your description you seem to be encountering an OOM issue with great consistency, can you please lay out the precise steps (incl. specific scenario) to reproduce it? Thanks.

Sure.
Can't post game version, because the forum software thinks it's a phone number
I start the launcher via Steam.
The launcher has to be started as admin, otherwise it won't start (compatibility settings in Launcher.exe)
Starting the "Command.exe" directly from the game directory results in a license issue for the "Kashmir Fire" campaign (appears as unlicensend).
From the "Kashmir Fire" campaign, I start the "escalation" scenario or load a saved game from that scenario.
Watching the game's memory usage in Task Manager, I see it starting with around 800 MB memory usage. Within the next 30 minutes or so, the usage steadily climbs up, until at around 2.5G, the game crashes. The GUI is gone, but the game process is still in memory. Steam cannot stop the game process. After killing Command.exe manually, only a Steam restart allows starting the game anew.

Hope this helps!

Stefan

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 28
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 6/3/2021 6:35:20 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossing the T
Sure.
Can't post game version, because the forum software thinks it's a phone number
I start the launcher via Steam.
The launcher has to be started as admin, otherwise it won't start (compatibility settings in Launcher.exe)
Starting the "Command.exe" directly from the game directory results in a license issue for the "Kashmir Fire" campaign (appears as unlicensend).
From the "Kashmir Fire" campaign, I start the "escalation" scenario or load a saved game from that scenario.
Watching the game's memory usage in Task Manager, I see it starting with around 800 MB memory usage. Within the next 30 minutes or so, the usage steadily climbs up, until at around 2.5G, the game crashes. The GUI is gone, but the game process is still in memory. Steam cannot stop the game process. After killing Command.exe manually, only a Steam restart allows starting the game anew.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. We had a look at this.

This is a case-specific RAM-exhaustion issue (not a leak per se, but more a case of "not giving the GC a chance to do its job for a while"), which has been fixed by the B1147.25 update released a few days ago and available here.

Please give it a go and let us know.

If there is any other scenario in which you have observed a similar issue, please try it with this update and let us know too.

Thanks!

(in reply to Crossing the T)
Post #: 29
RE: It's such a shame but i think i have to give up thi... - 6/4/2021 6:57:59 PM   
Crossing the T

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

This is a case-specific RAM-exhaustion issue (not a leak per se, but more a case of "not giving the GC a chance to do its job for a while"), which has been fixed by the xxxx update released a few days ago and available
Please give it a go and let us know.

That has done the trick! Now memor yusage stays around 1GB, and even when I stress the game, it doesn't go above 1.5.

Thanks!

Stefan

< Message edited by Crossing the T -- 6/4/2021 6:58:23 PM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED B1147.25] Out of memory exception Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI